DanielMDQ

getting married with a 18 years old US citizen? suspicious?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone! my name is Daniel, i'm a 28 years old guy from Argentina

My girlfriend is just 18 (us citizen), we met when she was 15, on the internet(because i sold her something online) and we became friends, then we met in NYC when she was 16(with her mum), and now after 2 years, we're in love and we want to be together.

We're planning to start the k1 process at the end of this year, but i'm a bit scared, because our age difference is HUGE, she is 18 and i'll be 29 soon...and i'm scared the officers would think i'm doing it to get immigration benefits. Also it's a bit weird that a 18 years old girl wants to get married, most girls that age just wants to party and get drunk.

Oh, and another thing, i applied for the DV lottery few times...

Her parents supports the relationship, her mother loves me, and in fact they're going to be the joint sponsors for the affidavit of support because my girlfriend will go to University and won't work.

Do you think the immigration officers are gonna supect of our relationship because of our age difference, and also because i applied for the DV lottery?

Thanks!!

Dan

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

well my wife was 18 when i got married and i was 23.

i know ur age difference is larger. but i dont think

it should be a problem. i mean her parents support it

as well so i dont think so

just prove that you guys do love each other and want to get

married. just my opinion

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah, I agree. As long as you have met (in the last 2 years) and can show proof that you want to be together, it should be ok. I know a guy who is 59 and his Phillipino wife is 26, so.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

Hi Everyone! my name is Daniel, i'm a 28 years old guy from Argentina

My girlfriend is just 18 (us citizen), we met when she was 15, on the internet(because i sold her something online) and we became friends, then we met in NYC when she was 16(with her mum), and now after 2 years, we're in love and we want to be together.

We're planning to start the k1 process at the end of this year, but i'm a bit scared, because our age difference is HUGE, she is 18 and i'll be 29 soon...and i'm scared the officers would think i'm doing it to get immigration benefits. Also it's a bit weird that a 18 years old girl wants to get married, most girls that age just wants to party and get drunk.

Oh, and another thing, i applied for the DV lottery few times...

Her parents supports the relationship, her mother loves me, and in fact they're going to be the joint sponsors for the affidavit of support because my girlfriend will go to University and won't work.

Do you think the immigration officers are gonna supect of our relationship because of our age difference, and also because i applied for the DV lottery?

Thanks!!

Dan

You should not worry about your age difference. It is okay.

Nargis

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think this might be a little susipicous because she was still a minor when you two first met and began a relationship. A CO might see this as a child being manipulated by an adult. I'm not saying that is what you are doing or have done but it might appear that way. Typically this type of relationship is not norm in the U.S. and can actually get you in a lot of legal trouble. However, I think a lot will depend on the CO, his personal values, and whether he thinks you have a bona fide relationship. It also depends on your culture and your culture's traditions. Good luck!

USCIS

2-27-12: Mailed I-129F Package to TX Lockbox

3-01-12: UPS Delivery Confirmation Received

3-06-12: NOA1 Text/Email - Application has been sent to Vermont

3-09-12: NOA1 Hard Copy Received

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think this might be a little susipicous because she was still a minor when you two first met and began a relationship. A CO might see this as a child being manipulated by an adult. I'm not saying that is what you are doing or have done but it might appear that way. Typically this type of relationship is not norm in the U.S. and can actually get you in a lot of legal trouble. However, I think a lot will depend on the CO, his personal values, and whether he thinks you have a bona fide relationship. It also depends on your culture and your culture's traditions. Good luck!

He said he meet her with her mom, so i don't know what kind of legal trouble you are talking about? Though she was 16, age of consent in new york for sex is 17, but many states is 16, whichout age gap considered. As long as they didn't have sex in new york while she was 16, and he had her mothers permission to see her there is no legal issue. Manipulation by an adult would normally be a person of authority to the other person such as a school teacher of a student, not pen pals who meet with the legal parent permission. So if not a problem for both sides and parents of then minor child, I would hope a CO would not interject their "personal feelings" toward grown adults.

Timeline

He asked for our opinion, so I just gave him a opinion. the purpose of my post was to point out that in the U.S. it is not typically for a 26 year old to began/be in a relationship with a 16 yeard old. I'm not going to argue with you reagrding my particular post, but the points that I raised are valid issues that might raise in a CO's mind during an interview. The OP should be prepared to address this if it happens. Like I said I am not suggesting the OP has done anything illegal or wrong. As far as CO interjecting their personal feelings, they do it every day when they make decsions about who gets approved and who doesn't.

USCIS

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

dang, you got me scared GatorShae, i hope i won't end up in jail lol

But no, we didn't have sex when we met back in 2010, and she was with her mother, we met as friends, things started to get "romantic" some months after meeting, but yes, i'm scared to be seen as an adult trying to manipulate her for immigration benefits, especially since i applied for the dv lottery before, like..."the dv lottery didn't work, then he forces an innocent teen to get married (which is not the case)"

Do u think having her family support is gonna help? her whole family approves the relationship

Edited by DanielMDQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

In the US the age of consent for marriage is 18 (I think in some states it may actually even be 16). That's the law and opinions don't matter.

Immigration could have reservations about the age gap, but there's lots of 80 year old guys marrying 20 year old filipinos, so I don't think your age gap is going to be an issue. I'm 36 and my gf is 24. Just have proof of the relationship.

A letter signed/dated from her parents might even go a long way if you included it in the package.

Edited by scott76

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Should be fine. Just have proof of relationship. My fiancé the USC is 12 years older than me,.. Never thought it would be a problem. Just be prepared for anything!!! Good luck!

event.png

d60yv4kpg.png

12/15/2011 - last time baby & I saw her Papi

01/30/2012 - Denied entry into US

02/27/2012 - i129f sent to Dallas lockbox

02/28/2012 - i129f delivered

03/05/2012 - NOA1 email received

03/08/2012 - NOA1 hardcopy received

09/11/2012 - NOA2 email recieved

02/28/2013 - Montreal Interview -- APPROVED!!!!!

04/03/2013 - POE date!!

05/25/2013- wedding day!! <3

06/10/2013 - AOS mailed

06/10/2013 - NOA

09/09/2013 - biometrics appointment

09/16/2013 - RFE ( joint sponsor tax return issue)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I would definitely have her mother write a very clear, detailed letter about the relationship, making it plain that her daughter was always chaperoned (by her or other responsible adult relatives) every time you two were together. If you and the girl were ever alone together, this should be stated, with facts added to bolster the claims (e.g., you went to a movie alone with her, and her mom saw the torn ticket-stubs). The mother should specify all the dates when you and her daughter were together. She should sign the letter before a notary, who would stamp it.

Get a couple of similar notarized letters from other family members, who (if they can't verify that you and the girl were always alone) should attest that they have met you and approve of your character, and that they're comfortable with the nature and sincerity of your relationship with the girl.

Doing this might head off a LOT of accusations or negative assumptions come interview time. You'll have to be smart about this and tread VERY carefully.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

dang, you got me scared GatorShae, i hope i won't end up in jail lol

Don't be scared. I just think that you should be prepared to discuss the issue if it arises. If the CO never asks you about it, great, but if they do you should have at least thought about it and be prepared to address it. That is all I am trying to convey.

As for having her family support, I think that's wonderful and it will probably help your case.

USCIS

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.