EmelyNJoel

Harsh Question

Is 125% of poverty a fair requirement.  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is 125% of poverty level a fair requirement?

• Yes the concept and the level are reasonable
    • No, the concept is reasonable, but the amount should be higher.
    • No, the concept is reasonable, but the amount should be lower.

197 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I could not agree any more with your post and this is why. I'm married for the second time and have two children from my previous marriage, so technically I have to qualify for a household of 4 ... Although, I agree that being in love is very basic fundamental pillar of a marriage; love is just one piece of the puzzle. I agree with you, that one must consider and always take into the account the responsibility you assume when you sign the I-864 but more than that is to think realistically and determine if you have the economic means to support your spouse. It's just common sense stuff.

Citizenship

6/24/2016: Mailed N-400 package via USPS from Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan

7/11/2016: Received NOA1 dated 7/5/2016

11/3/2016: Received email from USCIS-Seoul Office with Naturalization appt set for 11/30/2016

11/30/2016: Naturalization Interview on Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan. N-400 Approved

12/1/2016: Naturalization Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

I completely agree! Those levels are low. As far as the planned pregnancy.....I do agree...although I had my first child young and unmarried. But now, with this 2nd marriage, we took precautions so I would not be pregnant! And we agreed not to even attempt a child until he has a job, and we are definitely stable.

Common sense....is not all that common. :)

9/21/11 - Married in Syria
11/16/11 - Fedex I-130
11/17/11 - Received at USCIS
11/18/11 - Text received from USCIS - papers received - sent to California for processing
11/21/11 - touched
11/22/11 - check cleared - Received NOA1 form in mail
3/9/12 - Approved!!! NOA2!!! 113 days!
3/15/12 - NOA2 received in mail
3/19/12 - NVC received - no case # yet
4/3/12 - Case number received!
4/4/12 - Paid AOS bill (in process) and completed DS-261 Agent form / also emailed request to transfer to Beirut, Lebanon for interview
4/5/12 - AOS bill shows paid!
4/6/12 - emailed I-864ez and tax info
4/9/12 - (rec. confirmation email)I-864 and tax documents received by NVC / request to transfer embassy denied
4/30/12 - finally received confirmation email aos/i-864 approved (case was held due to embassy transfer request!!!)
5/2/12 - IV bill appeared online - paid!
5/3/12 - IV bill shows paid!
5/10/12 - FINALLY submitted DS-260 and emailed all supporting documents
5/15/12 - checklist from NVC - needed different marriage certificate
5/20/12 - emailed other marriage certificate
5/21/12 - email received
5/29/12 - CASE COMPLETE! FINALLY!!!

6/4/12 - Interview Scheduled

7/22/12 - INTERVIEW! APPROVED! NO A/P. KEPT HIS PASSPORT

7/28/12 - Visa in hand

7/29/12 - POE Philadelphia!

Removing conditions:

5/5/14 - Mailed form I-751

5/6/14 - Packet received at USCIS Vermont - signed for by A.Scoss

5/6/14 - NOA1 receipt date

5/13/14 - Check Cashed

5/13/14 - Received NOA1 in mail

5/19/14 - Received notice of Biometrics

6/11/14 - Biometrics

12/10/14 - Approval Letter Date!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

In some ways, I understand your question. You have to understand who are the people searching for love overseas, whether it's intentional or not. Once that question is answered, you'll have a better understanding of the first question.

A college student can't automatically make a bunch load of money - but their income may improve in the future.

I was a aware of my husband not being rich. You don't get rich by having a normal job, and having much time on your hands and spend 5-7 hours a day talking through skype. I'd have to only eat hay for 20 years to believe in anything else. But if he was on a business trip, staying at d'Angleterre in Copenhagen and we'd have met there, the situation changes. To put things in perspective, minimum wage in Denmark is about 3 times a much as it is in the US.

--

I think the poverty guidelines are reasonable because they're not fictive figures. Some families do actually manage to get by fine for less while others are struggling with twice the amount. Take a look at the posts for budget for groceries/food here on VJ. We've talked about children(already have a stepson) but I tend to laugh about it right now.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The income requirements should be at least 200% of poverty level for certain family members. Many classes of visa should be done away with, including the all the K visas. Restrictions need to be tighter on foreign worker visas. The loophole of staying in the country on an expired visa/I-94, etc, while the I-485 is being adjudicated should be eliminated, as should be refiling ad infinitum just to stay in the US. If you overstay, you go home, no reprieve, no waiver, no AP, no EAD.

Pr default sign away the AOS opportunity at POE when visiting? I'd say prove life changing event when filing for AOS rather than eliminating it completely.

I'm fond of the K1 visa but I'd put the i-864 at embassy level instead of later on. Meeting once in two years changed to within the last year.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

1330057738[/url]' post='5176277']

The income requirements should be at least 200% of poverty level for certain family members. Many classes of visa should be done away with, including the all the K visas. Restrictions need to be tighter on foreign worker visas. The loophole of staying in the country on an expired visa/I-94, etc, while the I-485 is being adjudicated should be eliminated, as should be refiling ad infinitum just to stay in the US. If you overstay, you go home, no reprieve, no waiver, no AP, no EAD.

200% high, but debatable...I am pursuing a K1 myself, so I can't agree there...The worker visa wasn't part of my topic, but I agree it needs to be largely cut back.A reasonable number of extensions needs to be established, then stuck with.Staying during adjudication seems like good due process...On overstaying, I'd look at individual history. But resident status is a big thing, and I'd expect people would keep closer track of it if they really wanted to remain.

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I couldn't disagree more.

The US is a country of immigrants, yet your forefathers and mine could not legally have come to this country under today's rules. Diversity is one of the reasons we are the greatest country in the world and one which people want to immigrate too. We should make it far easier and quicker to legally immigrate to this country. I also see no reason why the work done in Vermont and California could not be outsourced to a private company. Doing so would surely cut the process time by 75%. They should also add a service for expedited applications at a premium, say double the normal fee.

Yes, increase the salary requirements for K-1 Visas to 200% and eliminate co-sponsors (Active military should not be subject to these rules). If you are poor, you need to get better job or better education before you try to raise a family. Countries who routinely threaten the USA should have severe immigrations restrictions. No K-1 / CR-1 Visas for countries like Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, or Pakistan (except for active military).

People who have bona fide skills we need in this country should have a fast track to immigrate here. We should be attracting some of those Chinese engineering students and Filipino nurses. First generation immigrants as a group are the most successful entrepreneurs in America.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I concur the level is very low but I guess it takes into consideration college students and others whose circumstances are legit.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I couldn't disagree more.

The US is a country of immigrants, yet your forefathers and mine could not legally have come to this country under today's rules. Diversity is one of the reasons we are the greatest country in the world and one which people want to immigrate too. We should make it far easier and quicker to legally immigrate to this country. I also see no reason why the work done in Vermont and California could not be outsourced to a private company. Doing so would surely cut the process time by 75%. They should also add a service for expedited applications at a premium, say double the normal fee.

Yes, increase the salary requirements for K-1 Visas to 200% and eliminate co-sponsors (Active military should not be subject to these rules). If you are poor, you need to get better job or better education before you try to raise a family. Countries who routinely threaten the USA should have severe immigrations restrictions. No K-1 / CR-1 Visas for countries like Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, or Pakistan (except for active military).

People who have bona fide skills we need in this country should have a fast track to immigrate here. We should be attracting some of those Chinese engineering students and Filipino nurses. First generation immigrants as a group are the most successful entrepreneurs in America.

I agree, but I don't understand why active military should not be within the same rule. military spouses eat and get sick, too, and the money they need is the same as civilians.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've seen a number of people complain about the 125% of poverty requirement. 125% of Poverty level is really NOT a lot of money.

The next part might seem harsh, but if 125% of poverty level IS a lot of money to the USC, then maybe they should reconsider whether they have the means to bring a foreign national to the US for marriage, and to start a family.

No I'm not hating... and I don't' want to start a flame war, I just want to make sure people are prepared for their situations. Part of that is planning for the unexpected, having money put away for a rainy day, etc. is part of that being prepared.

So I'm asking the VJ community for their opinions on this. Seriously no flaming. An intelligent discussion on being prepared for major life events.

I'd liken this to couples who actually plan a pregnancy for when they are emotionally and financially ready, and those couples (like most of us) who get pregnant and deal with the repercussions as they are able.

This is an interesting question. I think bringing a foriegn national to the USA with the intent to start a family on an income of 125% of the poverty level would be very challenging. One of my concerns as a USC would be, will they become a burdon (public assistance) in any-way?

I have worked hard most of my life, and probobly considered "middle class". I resented the fact that there were some people abusing public-assistance programs.

Having said that. I am near that 125% threshold now. I own my property, vehicles are paid for, liquid, etc. I would think I have a chance at success of starting a family compared to other scenarios.

This is a question that is very thought provoking and one that deserves discussion.

Kelly

01/07/2012 Mailed I-129F to Dallas Lock Box

01/10/2012 Accepted, Sent to CSC for Processing

01/12/2012 Touched

01/14/2012 NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved

http://www.facebook....&type=3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree, but I don't understand why active military should not be within the same rule. military spouses eat and get sick, too, and the money they need is the same as civilians.

Our active military is the reason we can bring foreign nationals here. Lets salute them. If they made 1/2 of what they deserve, they would be 500% of the poverty guidelines. Thank you all who serve this Great Country!

01/07/2012 Mailed I-129F to Dallas Lock Box

01/10/2012 Accepted, Sent to CSC for Processing

01/12/2012 Touched

01/14/2012 NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved

http://www.facebook....&type=3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.