briancole

Big Problems at the Airport

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Well, My wife and son are at the airport right now and they won't let them check in because they need me to be there in order to give permission. I either have to be on the flight with them or give them a notorized document notorized in Lima. A mother cannot immigrate alone with her son without permission from the father.

Oh my gosh, I'm so angry, we have the flights payed for and everything. I'm flying out today to meet them on the way, and there's nothing we can say or do to dissuade them at the airport!

We've never heard of this but we don't know what we can do! I guess I have of fly back there again

Edit: I should mention that the visa interview went great, I was there for that and all went super well. My wife and son both have there visas. Now it's just this issue we're working through...

Edited by briancole

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is a very important issue--many countries do not let a spouse leave with a minor child without the proper OK from the other parent, so PLEASE be sure to add this to your checklist before buying tickets. I have flown to/from Costa Rica a dozen times and every single time I see a parent fighting with an immigration agent or crying because they didn't have the proper papers ahead of time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

This is a very important issue--many countries do not let a spouse leave with a minor child without the proper OK from the other parent, so PLEASE be sure to add this to your checklist before buying tickets. I have flown to/from Costa Rica a dozen times and every single time I see a parent fighting with an immigration agent or crying because they didn't have the proper papers ahead of time.

Yeah, I understand now. We just had no idea. I mean, It's one thing to have that information available and to not have acted, but it's another entirely when that info isn't even there. I mean, how does one just assume something like that? It never even occured to either of us that such a thing would exist. So I guess I'm flying out there this week again. We're rescheduling the flights for next Sunday.

Edited by briancole

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, I understand now. We just had no idea. I mean, It's one thing to have that information available and to not have acted, but it's another entirely when that info isn't even there. I mean, how does one just assume something like that? It never even occured to either of us that such a thing would exist. So I guess I'm flying out there this week again. We're rescheduling the flights for next Sunday.

Unless this is your natural son, it is the natural father's permission that is needed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the rule in the USA as well, though often not enforced. If you read your ticketing closely, you will find it, likely buried along with the limitations of liability.

--------------------------------

Priorty Date: June 22, 2011

Interview Sept. 7, 2012

Visa in hand, Sept 15, 2012

It is a very common thing world-wide. Part of the Hague Convention to prevent international child abduction.

I'm surprised that your travel agent didn't mention it to you, it's also a "warning" normally when booking tickets on-line.

Just to expand on what Pushbrk mentioned above. Normally you need the child's birth certificate naming both parents AND a notarized letter from the other parent to travel internationally.

The silver lining to this is travelling with your wife and son to their new country will be a nice way to start out your new lives together.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

A mother cannot immigrate alone with her son without permission from the father.

I am curious, is it the same thing for fathers and their children? Do they need mother's permission? On the one hand, I understand the protection (not to invalidate your frustration by any means---this sucks bigtime) if it works both ways. However, I get super irritated when it applies for mothers only but fathers can do as they please. In that case, it isn't protection---it's patriarchy.

Sorry if that is :ot: but it makes me --> :angry:

:ot2: Sending you prayers...be sure you find out exactly what you need before you leave so, you can leave as a family.

Good luck!

Met: 3/2010
Married: 1/12/11
Sent Paperwork to Chicago Lockbox: 4/16/2011
Received NOA1: 4/21/2011 (routed to California Service Center)
Received NOA2: 7/11/2011
NVC Receives case: 8/18/2011 (case number issued and acquired via phone inquiry)
NVC sends correspondence: 8/23/11
Change of Agent form sent: 8/23/11
Paid I-864 invoice: 8/23/11
I-864 invoice shows paid: 8/25/11
IV Invoice bill: 09/01/11
IV Invoice paid: 09/01/11
Mailed out Visa Package to NVC: 09/09/11
Received application acknowledgement confirmation from NVC: 09/16/11
Mailed out Affidavit of Support: 09/18/11
NVC received Affidavit of Support: 9/20/11
NVC Case Complete: 9/26/11
Interview Appointment Received: 10/6/11 (Interview scheduled for November 9th 2011)
Interview: 11/9/11 (pending)
Consulate calls Faisal and reschedules interview because of holiday closure: 10/27/11
New Interview Date: 11/22/11
Interview Status: APPROVED
Arrival in US: 12/21/11
POE: Miami
ARRIVED!!!!!!! Welcome home!!!!!
Received Green Card: 1/25/12
Received SS Card: 2/1/12
Faisal's first job: 2/15/12
Faisal's first day of school: 8/26/2012
Pregnant: 9/6/2012

It's a Girl!: 6/2/2013

Sent out Removal of conditions paperwork: 9/22/13

Received receipt from Homeland Security: 10/1/2013

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am curious, is it the same thing for fathers and their children? Do they need mother's permission? On the one hand, I understand the protection (not to invalidate your frustration by any means---this sucks bigtime) if it works both ways. However, I get super irritated when it applies for mothers only but fathers can do as they please. In that case, it isn't protection---it's patriarchy.

Sorry if that is :ot: but it makes me --> :angry:

:ot2: Sending you prayers...be sure you find out exactly what you need before you leave so, you can leave as a family.

Good luck!

Yes it is the same, either parent needs a permission letter to travel with a child without both parents present.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

you are correct.. it has always been this way....

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I always carry my notarized letter when travelling with our child; however, I've only been asked once to show it. I was returning to Canada (even though my son is born in Canada) from visiting my husband in the States. The Canadian customs agent said that permission is required ONLY when I am entering a country that my husband does not reside in which is why I've never been asked to show that letter when entering the States.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i think someone at the airport made a mistake,

as

the father is in the USA, waiting for wife and son to arrive.

Oh well, let's see how this plays out - I pray the OP not run into more silliness at the airport.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Actually, they usually check fathers traveling alone with their children more often than they do the mothers.

Having said that, I have flown a couple of times between the US and Europe with my daughter (2yo now) and never have been stopped. I do carry the appropriate forms with me, just in case, but they never asked me for it. Then again, from what I heard, they mostly only ask for it when it is regarding a kid from countries such as those in South America.

Either way, I feel sorry for the OP, I hope it gets resolved quickly.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems country specific. Unlike the US, Philippines has no parental rights law so you either need paper showing there was never a marriage ( custody is with mother by default) or annulment papers showing custody is with mother. And BC of course.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.