deli12

Just had my interview on 11/21 and it didnt go well...please leave comments

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Hello All,

My husband and I had our interview on Nov. 21st and it didn't go well at all. First off my husband has a horrible memory and couldn't remember the most basic answers. I'll give a few examples, (1) the IO asked what streets is our home located between...he could not remember. (2)what is your mother in-laws first name...he always calls her by her last name. (3) we live with my sister and her son so the IO asked what was her sons last name, although he finally remembered I happened to look at him so as to say, "are you serious right now," and the IO was like, well forget it since she had to look at you...#######! We showed a picture of our wedding day and also pictured is my mom and sister. The IO said, "this is your sister!" And I'm like yeah and he's like, why is she so much lighter than you...and I'm thinking seriously!!! In this day and age I would think that most people know that black people come in a wide variety of colors. The fact that this person was also black was quite perplexing to me. His line of questioning was strange and didn't seem to focus on our life as a couple for the last 6 1/2 years. One question was why did we wait so long to file his papers? We married in 2006 and didn't file the papers until jan 2010. I would think a couple like that is more believable since they are not rushing to file the necessary paperwork. He asked my husband what my middle name was at which time my husband answered, however, my middle name is mispelled on my birth certificate, so of course he was like no ficit says this at which time I jumped in and said actually my name is spelled wrong on my birth cert. So he's like why didn't you correct it and I said I don't use my middle name, I don't like it and it's not that important to me! My husband and I recently had a baby so he asked him what time was your daughter born, so my husband says 11:33 and the IO goes am or pm. Of course my husband responds pm, however, her birth certificate is wrong as well they put am and again he looks like he doesn't know anything about us. He also aksed the name of the hospital she was born and my husband answers SUNY Downstate of course because thats how we refer to it, however, the birth certificate says Brooklyn Hospital Center. Again, it looks really bad because his responses don't match the paperwork at all. Ultimately, he asked me to bring him a copy of my 2010 tax return because I didn't bring it since I submitted 2007-2009 with my original paperwork. At that time I am going to submit more pictures, and more evidence of our life together. Do you guys think he will accept additional evidence? Like another issue of contention for him was that my husband lost his passport in spring of 2010 and went to the French Consulate to get a replacement. He couldn't understand why he didn't report the lost passport to the police and why my husband could not remember exactly when he lost it. Can someone explain to me how knowing when you lost your passport proves whether you're living as a couple with your significant other? The IO wrote sec 245 interview nov 21 2011/km lso nyc A# IR-6 in my husbands passport. Does anyone know what this means? He also did not take his I-94 card. Should we be worried?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It doesn't look good. Did they ask both of you to attend, or did you choose to come along? Did they ask you to send in the additional evidence or to bring it in person?

I don't know what the annotation means but it looks like it is just a note to say when and where the interview was held.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I'd be prepared for a Stokes interview. The majority of those were questions he should have known. Have him start working on remembering things NOW, and correct any documents that are wrong. It doesn't matter if they're not important to you, there is no reason for you to have official government documents that have wrong names, wrong times, etc.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The IO wrote sec 245 interview nov 21 2011/km lso nyc A# IR-6 in my husbands passport. Does anyone know what this means? He also did not take his I-94 card. Should we be worried?

I agree that this doesn't sound good, but first let's try to decode the above:

"sec 245" refers to Section 245 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which covers adjustment of status. The date is obvious. I think "lso" was actually "ISO" - Immigration Service Officer. The initials "LSO" to USCIS mean "Local Security Officer". "nyc" is obviously New York. "IR-6" is the visa number category for someone who is adjusting status in the United States. They use this in place of the alien number (A#) when the alien doesn't have an alien number yet. I don't know what "km" means but it might be the IO's initials.

Ok, they're going to believe the official documentation before they believe your claim that the official documentation is wrong. The only exception might be if you pointed out the error in the documents before they did. For example:

IO: What time was your daughter born?

Husband: 11:33.

IO: AM or PM?

Husband: The birth certificate says "AM", but it was actually at night.

If you let the IO point it out first then it looks like you've made a glaring mistake and you're trying to cover it up. To the IO, this is comparable to telling them "Believe me instead of your lying eyes!". :blush:

I'm not sure what they were getting at with the question about your sister's skin tone. Maybe they were digging to see if you and your sister had different parents and your husband didn't know about it. This is primarily what they're trying to do in a joint interview - see if your statements differ from the facts. If you get to a Stokes interview then they'll be trying to see if your statements differ from each others.

I think a Stokes interview is definitely possible here.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

If a couple just met a short while ago, it's not unusual that they don't know everything about one another and their family members. Yet if a couple has been together for 6 years, the default assumption is that they know a lot more . . . if they live together as husband and wife. I have no clue about why so many mishaps happened, but from what you are stating I would also prepare for a Stokes interview.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hmmmm i hate to say this but i would expect a stokes interview, and for this i would make SURE your husband knows almost everything about your family and he remembers it so keep drilling him on it. I know you don't see the details as important but you have to think of it from the other side of the table, a guy who cannot answer simple questions about his wife's family it doesn't really look like he has paid much attention or care to it. And they are Official documents, so if there are errors in them then you should get them changed/amended so they are correct, or answer with "according to Paperwork it is SUCH AND SUCH but in reality it is SUCH AND SUCH" because they receive official documents they would assume you know what they say.

I am sorry you had such trouble and good luck in the future

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1
I-129f Sent:- 19-Aug-2010
Date of Entry-27-May-2011
Date Married-24-June-2011

AOS
AOS/EAD Sent:08-Aug-2011
Green Card Received: 16-Nov-2011

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics App. 08-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics Completed 29-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

Timeline

It doesn't look good. Did they ask both of you to attend, or did you choose to come along? Did they ask you to send in the additional evidence or to bring it in person?

I don't know what the annotation means but it looks like it is just a note to say when and where the interview was held.

Hi,

T.hanks for your response. They asked us to bring the tax return in person by dec 2nd 2011. At that time I will also submit additional evidence. I guess it will be up to him to accept it or not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I had our interview on Nov. 21st and it didn't go well at all. First off my husband has a horrible memory and couldn't remember the most basic answers. I'll give a few examples,

(1) the IO asked what streets is our home located between...he could not remember.

(2) what is your mother in-laws first name...he always calls her by her last name.

(3) we live with my sister and her son so the IO asked what was her sons last name, although he finally remembered I happened to look at him so as to say, "are you serious right now," and the IO was like, well forget it since she had to look at you...#######!

One question was why did we wait so long to file his papers? We married in 2006 and didn't file the papers until jan 2010. I would think a couple like that is more believable since they are not rushing to file the necessary paperwork.

He asked my husband what my middle name was at which time my husband answered, however, my middle name is mispelled on my birth certificate, so of course he was like no ficit says this at which time I jumped in and said actually my name is spelled wrong on my birth cert. So he's like why didn't you correct it and I said I don't use my middle name, I don't like it and it's not that important to me!

My husband and I recently had a baby so he asked him what time was your daughter born, so my husband says 11:33 and the IO goes am or pm. Of course my husband responds pm, however, her birth certificate is wrong as well they put am and again he looks like he doesn't know anything about us.

He also aksed the name of the hospital she was born and my husband answers SUNY Downstate of course because thats how we refer to it, however, the birth certificate says Brooklyn Hospital Center.

Ultimately, he asked me to bring him a copy of my 2010 tax return because I didn't bring it since I submitted 2007-2009 with my original paperwork. At that time I am going to submit more pictures, and more evidence of our life together. Do you guys think he will accept additional evidence?

Like another issue of contention for him was that my husband lost his passport in spring of 2010 and went to the French Consulate to get a replacement. He couldn't understand why he didn't report the lost passport to the police and why my husband could not remember exactly when he lost it. Can someone explain to me how knowing when you lost your passport proves whether you're living as a couple with your significant other?

The IO wrote sec 245 interview nov 21 2011/km lso nyc A# IR-6 in my husbands passport. Does anyone know what this means? He also did not take his I-94 card. Should we be worried?

I did a bit of editing. Paragraphs make it easier to read. I also deleted some stuff that doesn't relate to my answer. I'm replying in order of the above.

Regarding the questions he got wrong:

1. How long have you been living at that address? How long have you lived in that area? I can tell you what street is behind me, and on one side, but I'm not entirely sure about the other. I don't drive down/up that street. I think I know but I can't be sure. We've lived her for 1.5 years.. never thought to check... I know how to get home :P

2. Calling MIL by last name is one thing, but after 6.5 years of marriage it's strange he doesn't know her name of by heart. Surely you've been to enough family functions where people have used her name (such as your father). I know my MIl, FIL and 2 SIL's names including middle names and I don't talk to them. I also know their birthdays (not year but month and date). it's just something you/he should know... maybe it's a girl v boy thing

3. Nothing you can do about that now. He obviously thought you mouthed the name to him and there's nothing you can do to prove you didn't.

No it doesn't mean a legit relationship. It can mean it took you that long to "trust" him enough to file. A couple in-love doesn't want to be separated. Waiting so long can be argued that you didn't care if he got locked into immigration jail, and that you didn't want him having any security (a kind of abuse). It could also be you waited longer than 2 years to get the 10 year GC so that your relationship was only judged once. While it's great you think it's positive, IO's deal with liars quite often, unfortunately it's more a case of guilty before being proven innocent.

With your birth certificate. Get evidence from your schools, or driving licence or anything that has the spelling you prefer for your middle name. I say "prefer" because your birth certificate is your legal name. If it was wrong it should have been changed (and I know my parents would have immediately fixed it). It's like me saying my middle name is Jane when my birth cert says Lisa and then telling people my birth certificate it's "wrong". If it was wrong it should have been changed, truth is your birth cert is your legal name. If you want to change it you should.

If possible I would get a record from your hospital stay and the birth of your child. Not the birth certificate, proof from the hospital of the time of your labour and birth, so that you can prove he was right on the time. I would also start the process of getting that birth certificate fixed and take evidence of that.

Regarding the hospital name, see if you can find anything online or whatever that proves the hospital's "nickname". That said, he should have known the official name of the hospital (or at least part of it) because how else can you get someone to drive you here (such as a taxi or GPS).

Submitting more evidence can't hurt, but I think you should start reading up on questions for a Stokes Interview. That's where I believe you're headed.

Re the passport. That's his legal ID in the states. It should have mattered to him. I don't think it shows anything about your relationship but I do find it odd that he didn't report it to police. It's his PASSPORT!! People could be running around pretending to be him. Wouldn't you report your wallet lost/stolen? It's just odd honestly. I think the question relates to the "black sister" question as well. Interest in your dynamics and who you are as people. It's easy to judge someone based on little information that submitted on forms but it appears he was trying to get to know you deeper as a couple and people before judging you.

I-94.. yes I would be a little concerned, mostly though because of so many questions wrong and prepare for a Stokes. Your husbands memory won't go well here so you DO need to practice practice practice. Including his answers if he's not sure. If he's not sure it's better to say he's not sure rather than give an answer.

---

My husband and I didn't have an interview but we still went over some of the Stokes stuff. Occasionally I would ask him qns like "what colour is my toothbrush?" "What brand?", what colour are the sheets on the bed? What colour is the carpet in the living room? I would especially ask about the blankets on the bed because he calls it a different colour to what I call it. Same with the living room carpet.

yowsa. I wish you luck! Quiz your husband on everything--be sure to go over everything and know in great detail because you have so many red flags against you...does your husband have some sort of learning disability that he can't remember things like your mom's name? I'm not saying this to be inconsiderate, but rather that could help explain to the IO why he doesn't know basic info like that.

also: waiting so long to file papers is unusual and makes one wonder if it's because you had no money to pay for it (is he likely to become a public charge?) or did you guys have lots of problems in the past and you weren't sure if you wanted him to get a green card...

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Hello All,

My husband and I had our interview on Nov. 21st and it didn't go well at all. First off my husband has a horrible memory and couldn't remember the most basic answers. I'll give a few examples, (1) the IO asked what streets is our home located between...he could not remember. (2)what is your mother in-laws first name...he always calls her by her last name. (3) we live with my sister and her son so the IO asked what was her sons last name, although he finally remembered I happened to look at him so as to say, "are you serious right now," and the IO was like, well forget it since she had to look at you...#######! We showed a picture of our wedding day and also pictured is my mom and sister. The IO said, "this is your sister!" And I'm like yeah and he's like, why is she so much lighter than you...and I'm thinking seriously!!! In this day and age I would think that most people know that black people come in a wide variety of colors. The fact that this person was also black was quite perplexing to me. His line of questioning was strange and didn't seem to focus on our life as a couple for the last 6 1/2 years. One question was why did we wait so long to file his papers? We married in 2006 and didn't file the papers until jan 2010. I would think a couple like that is more believable since they are not rushing to file the necessary paperwork. He asked my husband what my middle name was at which time my husband answered, however, my middle name is mispelled on my birth certificate, so of course he was like no ficit says this at which time I jumped in and said actually my name is spelled wrong on my birth cert. So he's like why didn't you correct it and I said I don't use my middle name, I don't like it and it's not that important to me! My husband and I recently had a baby so he asked him what time was your daughter born, so my husband says 11:33 and the IO goes am or pm. Of course my husband responds pm, however, her birth certificate is wrong as well they put am and again he looks like he doesn't know anything about us. He also aksed the name of the hospital she was born and my husband answers SUNY Downstate of course because thats how we refer to it, however, the birth certificate says Brooklyn Hospital Center. Again, it looks really bad because his responses don't match the paperwork at all. Ultimately, he asked me to bring him a copy of my 2010 tax return because I didn't bring it since I submitted 2007-2009 with my original paperwork. At that time I am going to submit more pictures, and more evidence of our life together. Do you guys think he will accept additional evidence? Like another issue of contention for him was that my husband lost his passport in spring of 2010 and went to the French Consulate to get a replacement. He couldn't understand why he didn't report the lost passport to the police and why my husband could not remember exactly when he lost it. Can someone explain to me how knowing when you lost your passport proves whether you're living as a couple with your significant other? The IO wrote sec 245 interview nov 21 2011/km lso nyc A# IR-6 in my husbands passport. Does anyone know what this means? He also did not take his I-94 card. Should we be worried?

remember the reason for the interview, -to check if your relationship is still viable. questions seem ridiculous but they're really not. they're mean to test, not merely confirm, and they're only hard if "you and your spouse don't know each other", right? =)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would suggest a DNA test with the baby too. His name should be on there ( the childs BC ), which basicaly says that he acknowledges that he is the father, and you are the mother, so at least one time you have had sexual contact. But DNA proving that he is baby daddy, and you are baby mommy I think would be factual and more helpful. I dont know much about your situation, every CO/IO ive dealt with has been very nice/friendly/professional, and never looked at a peice of evidence, I wish I could be of more help.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

OP, thanks for posting this. You do seem like you have an uphill battle but I think it's a good lesson to learn from. You are not down and out yet so have faith and bring your A game if you end up at Stokes.

We have out interview in 9 days and I'm a little nervous. I keep hearing, why are you worrying, you guys are true, they just ask you easy questions from the I-485. I think it would be naive to just go in on the merits on our good faith. You really have to be prepared. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Timeline

remember the reason for the interview, -to check if your relationship is still viable. questions seem ridiculous but they're really not. they're mean to test, not merely confirm, and they're only hard if "you and your spouse don't know each other", right? =)

Actually, I didn't think the questions were particularly difficult. I was upset with my husband for not remembering such basic answers. The problem I did have with the questions is that I don't feel these are truly personal to my husband and I.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Actually, I didn't think the questions were particularly difficult. I was upset with my husband for not remembering such basic answers. The problem I did have with the questions is that I don't feel these are truly personal to my husband and I.

The only questions that don't have anything to do with your life is the colour of your sisters skin, and the loss of his passport. The rest of the questions were questions that most people who have been together for 6 1/2 years would know the answers to. Street names I'll give you but the MIL's name, the nephew's name, your middle name, your child's birth date/time, the name of the hospital, all questions he should have known and totally related to you as a couple. It's unfortunate that both your and your child's birth cert's were wrong...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.