visapetition

Why don't people naturalize?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

According to the "Estimates of the Legal Permanent Resident Population in 2010" report released by DHS recently, in 2010 there were 12.6 million Legal Permanent Residents living in the U.S., out of which 8.1 were eligible for naturalization (and presumably decided not to naturalize).

What possible reasons can people have for not naturalizing when they can? Also, does it affect how fast the things are going for those of us waiting to get a Family-Based Visa and a green card?

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_lpr_pe_2010.pdf

Edited by visapetition

I-130 NOA1 (Priority Date): 2009-11-24

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, most of these petition filed the say the last 2-4 years were submitted by lprs who are new hence isnt elegible for citizenship. Most spend way too long overseas which makes it appear their roads won't end. Few have background issues... The reasons can go on who LPRs are not US Citizens

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some people don't want to pay american tax for the rest of their lives even if they move out of the country permanently later in the lives. So they don't naturalize.

Not naturalizing has nothing to do with other people getting LPR/green card or visas.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

According to the "Estimates of the Legal Permanent Resident Population in 2010" report released by DHS recently, in 2010 there were 12.6 million Legal Permanent Residents living in the U.S., out of which 8.1 were eligible for naturalization (and presumably decided not to naturalize).

What possible reasons can people have for not naturalizing when they can? Also, does it affect how fast the things are going for those of us waiting to get a Family-Based Visa and a green card?

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_lpr_pe_2010.pdf

Main reasons could be: country of origin does not recognize dual citizenship and benefits people might have would be lost. Another important reason is $$, it's relatively expensive and time consuming for what is perceived as not a significant gain over just LPR (eg. "only thing to gain is the right to vote"; there are other real 'gains', but not everyone would see those as gains.

Yet another reason is that every case is different, and I suspect that a number of cases are complex enough that they require attorneys.

Finally, IMO, fear is another one: people are just afraid to stir the pot, it might be just aprehension to have anything to do with the government, to real fear that something is discovered that can reverse status. Might sound silly to some, but it is not such for many.

I'm not sure it makes any difference for the Family-based visas/GC except in that USCIS have limited resources and they can't tend to all at same time, thus the long waits; exacerbated by the 'quotas' in place and the high demand of people wanting to move here.

And some people move here because they fell in love with an American - not because they want to become an American. For many it's a personal issue - not identifying yourself as an American, even though you live here more or less permanently. I can't see myself identifying as anything but Finnish, even if I chose to naturalize one day. America is an interesting place in that sense - if my husband and I moved to Finland, and he was there as a permanent resident, no one would assume that he was going to get citizenship and/or identify himself as Finnish. However, in America, permanent residents are often expected to eventually naturalize if they can, and subsequently "become American" as a result. I personally think this is the only country where it is not only common, but natural, to take on a new national identity, even at adult age, and I find this to be a very fascinating issue.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have recently applied for Naturalization, but it was a very difficult decision for me. Even though I can have dual citizenship, the Oath for US Citizenship requires that I "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". I love the US and have no problem pledging my loyalty, but it was a very big deal for me to decide that I could completely renounce the equally good country that was my home for over 50 years. I had a Citizenship that I was very happy with and I had legal residency here that I didn't forsee any problem with renewing every 10 years, but it seemed to matter a great deal to my husband, so I began the moral deliberation about being able to take the Oath.

I am sure there may be many other reasons people have for not Naturalizing(including the high cost of filing the N-400), but I have read of many, many other people here on VJ that had the same difficulty with the Oath that I did.

Annie

N-400 Citizenship

Sept. 13, 2011 N-400 sent to Phoenix Lockbox

Sept. 20, 2011 Check cashed

Sept. 23, 2011 NOA rec'd for N-400

Oct. 17, 2011 Biometrics appointment

Nov. 29, 2011 Interview - PASSED! 3yr anniversary not until 12/09/11

Dec. 13, 2011 Status update received "Oath Scheduled"

Dec. 15, 2011 Letter received with Oath date

Dec. 27, 2011 OATH! US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

My wife is not planning to apply for US Citizenship since Japan does not recognize dual citizens.

We plan to stay in Japan for extended periods (6 months) in the future and I plan to get a spouse visa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you're talking about refugees.. the language barrier would be the reason, learning about the US history... and also be able to write a few sentences in English during the testing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

two words

JURY DUTY

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

two words

JURY DUTY

If that is true, then America is probably better off because we certainly do not need citizens who don't take pride in doing their civic duty. However, I am sure that is not the case because there are certainly other ways to avoid jury duty.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

If that is true, then America is probably better off because we certainly do not need citizens who don't take pride in doing their civic duty. However, I am sure that is not the case because there are certainly other ways to avoid jury duty.

it was really just a joke answer.. but then its not a joke if i have to explain it.. :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

When I was with my ex-fiance (a USC) I told him that I didn't think I could ever become a US citizen, not because I have anything against being one, but because I love being Malaysian. It is my country, where I was born and raised, and despite how stupid my government can be, I love my country. Also, Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship, and if I did renounce my citizenship and later decide I want to become Malaysian again, I would find it INCREDIBLY difficult. Gaining Malaysian citizenship is very tough; ask any PRs here and they would tell you that.

Edited by MalaysianGirl

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

some permanent resident card holders, don't want to be us citizens, because of being deported, they have a criminal history,sex offenders,murders,drug dealers,offenders.they won't file for citizenship they know they will be denied.possible sent back to your country,

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband said he hasn't filed for naturalization yet because he wants to do it when we're(me and the kids) there with him..we'll be doing it all together :)

PD: 22OCT2009

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

it was really just a joke answer.. but then its not a joke if i have to explain it.. :)

I'm not sure why everyone poo poos dury duty.

My company literally pays for unlimited jury duty.

So last time I got a jury notice I did everything I could to get picked on the jury. I answered my questions in such a way that both side's lawyers would pick me.

So court started, and we were in session for about 40 minutes, then a break, and then another 30 minutes. Of course that was too much already so we called it quits before noon.

Not a bad way to work an 8 hour day. :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.