TBoneTX

Which Rifle or Gun is Best...

102 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm posting this on behalf of a VJ buddy who lives in rural Texas. His property is being encroached upon by wild pigs. These pigs are a nuisance (at minimum) and a menace in many parts of Texas. In fact, it's now legal to hunt them from airplanes.

My pal wants to know which rifle or gun might be best for shooting these pigs. Please make specific suggestions in this regard. He plans to harvest the meat from pigs that he kills. Thanks, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm posting this on behalf of a VJ buddy who lives in rural Texas. His property is being encroached upon by wild pigs. These pigs are a nuisance (at minimum) and a menace in many parts of Texas. In fact, it's now legal to hunt them from airplanes.

My pal wants to know which rifle or gun might be best for shooting these pigs. Please make specific suggestions in this regard. He plans to harvest the meat from pigs that he kills. Thanks, si man.

probably a 30-06 or .270

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I hunted a lot of higs in Texas with dogs. Best was a short barreled 12 ga shotgun with slugs. The ranges we killed them at could be measured in inches or feet. Usually less than 10-12 feet as the dogs would bay them in that heavy brush and you won't see them until you are just a few feet away. No scope is needed.

This arrangement is the best at up to 50 yds. For longer ranges any old rifle, .30-30 or better will do the job. If he wants to try a handgun, start with a caliber that begins with "4". .41 Mag, .44 Mag. etc. I have killed them with .357's, .45 ACPs and .45 Colt handguns also but preferred the shotgun and slugs.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've taken them with a 12 gauge (shotgun) using 00 buckshot and slugs. But rifle wise, I used 17 HMR, 22 long rifle, .243, .270 and 30-06. No need for any larger caliber than those, I was deer hunting once and shot a sow with my .300 Win Mag and it just made a total mess of that hog, will never do that agin, besides a wild hog is not worth the punishing recoil from a 300 Win Mag.

I would use the shoot gun so you can get off more shoots, because on the first kill they will scatter and the shotgun will give you the chance to get a couple of them. But if he will attempt to eradicate a sizeable sounder (group of them), he might be peeing in the ocean. Hunting is time consuming, so if the sounder is of a decent number of hogs, he might want to consider trapping.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

7mm RemMag if hunting from the air. Good versatile game rifle if he ever wants to broaden his hunting to deer, elk, sheep etc.... If on the ground, my personal fave is a 45-70 Marlin Guide but a 12ga. with slugs is good too. Both are short,swing quickly in the brush and pack a hella' wallop without making a huge mess. My Marlin has been a best friend for a lot of years!

th_Untitled-3.jpg?t=1294114030

03/2008--Met while working together in Mongolia
06/21/10--Married in Ulaanbaatar on the Summer solstice
USCIS
09/06/10--I-130 package mailed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
12/14/10--NOA2 hardcopy rec'd, Dec 09 notice date<APPROVED>86 Days
NVC
12/22/10-NVC / IIN Number issued, AOS bill paid
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
January4............IV bill paid, discovered error by preparer
USCIS ROUND 2
01/04/11-- I-130 package for stepson sent express with expedite plea
01/11/11---Congressional expedite plea lodged with USCIS
01/20/11--- Notice date, APPROVED 14 days
NVC ROUND 2
01/26/11--- NVC/IIN Numbers issued, DS-3032 Emailed
02/07/11--- AOS/IV packages fedexed to NVC
02/24/11--- Both Cases Completed at NVC
CONSULAR
04/27/11--- Interview passed
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

heart.gif NEW YEAR'S EVE 2011, WE WELCOME OUR BABY GIRL TO THE FAMILYheart.gif

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

I killed 43 of them last year (2010). Used my deer rifle on most of them, a .270. However they were just as dead when I used my .30 carbine, my .556 AR-15, or a 6.8SPC AR-15.

Best your friend can hope to do is run them off. They will reproduce faster than he can find them and kill them.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

let's make it easy ... does he need help?

i can probably rustle up something for him to shoot with too ...

Filed: Timeline

Is he a pot grower? I hear that hogs can tear up a marijuana patch in no time. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Is he a pot grower? I hear that hogs can tear up a marijuana patch in no time.
No, man; those are pigs (the law-enforcement kind), si man. :lol:

Many thanks to all of you, si man & man & man & man & man & man & man... I'll let you know what he decides upon, or perhaps he'll be along himself.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

As you see from the answers Tbone, all of which are good, just about any firearm that will kill a deer will kill a hog. They are not nearly as dangerous as often made out to be, but they CAN be dangerous. Given the chance, the will run away every time, very fast, through stuff you cannot even walk through'

We hunted them with dogs in heavy brush. The concern was always that a dog would be injured, much more likely than YOU being injured since they jump all over the hogs. If a hog is wounded he is more likey to fight and less likely to run which is not good for dogs. I heart shot hog can disembowel a dog before he keels over.

I preferred something that no sh*t knocked the ####### out of them at close range and shot for their shoulders or head or neck to knock them down.

They have a tough glistle plate on their shoulders, it is true, but it is not bullet-proof and bullets do NOT slide off their sloped foreheads. Every hog I ever shot between the eyes squealed and died instantly with a big hole in his head. Their is more meat in the hams than the shoulders on wild hogs anyway, so don't worry about ruining meat.

One thing is that you have to get the meat out and cooled quickly if you want tasty hog meat. I found that the taste spoils quickly if not cooled. We used to hunt in a group of 4-6 guys and when we killed a few hogs we would gut them and send someone to the meat locker right away.

we hunted them in Runnels county which is pretty flat except for mesas and we used the dogs to push them out of brushy washes into brushy header canyons at the base of the mesas. When they run out of canyon they have little choice but to stand up to the dogs or try and scoot back down. So after a hour or so of pushing them we would end up in a "shooting frenzy" of sorts as we came across the hogs that were bayed in the brush. I rarely shot one more than 10 ft away, seriously there were many times there were powder burns around the bullet holes. When all settled down, there were 2 or 3 or maybe 4 hogs killed. Many more escaped. We would gut them while someone went to get one of the trucks, then drag the hogs to the truck, get them to the locker while the other guys organized the next "push". In a good day, if it wasn't too hot (we did this usually in late February and on until late March, after the deer and quail seasons ended) we could do maybe 4 pushes and kill 10-12 hogs with our group of 4-6 guys.

Great sport!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I personally like the the .444 Marlin in a lever action carbine.

I like medium and large bore rifles... a LOT. But I do not care for the .444 It is a strecthed .44 magnum which shoots pistol bullets at higher velocity than the pistol. The problem with this cartridge has always been that the Marlin rifle limits you to bullets under 265 gr. within in OAL length limits and that is just not a good bullet to drive at those velocities.

I much prefer a .45-70 bullet in the 350-400gr weight range.

The .444 case has been used by some people in single shot rifles which are chambered to allow a longer OAL and used with 300-400gr cast bullets and then it is just as good as any other .40-.45 caliber rifle

It is simply too much for the Marlin lever action. I am not a great fan of the Marlin lever action either, but it is an economical choice compared to a Winchester M1886 (which I much prefer) and it is available in the .45-70 or .450 Marlin. If I was going to won a Marlin lever action, it would be a .45-70. I think the .450 is a solution to problem that did not exist.

All that said...the .444 will kill wild hogs very dead.

Gary And Alla