TBoneTX

Which Rifle or Gun is Best...

102 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

What's all this about 17 HMR - whats the deal - whack it on the bonce with the wood end ?

I reckon a piggy needs a 30-30 - low recoil, low velocity, nice big soft bullet and follow up shots quickly

and you don't get the bullets stuck between your teeth after it gets bacon sandwiched

or a Panzer-faust if you need it pre-sliced

Panzerfaust3.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

####### Cheney's looking for a new heart. I would recommend bullet proof headgear.

Yes pigs of course are very similar to some human beings and their valves can be used in hearts within reason.

If ####### got a pig's heart then he might want to go truffle hunting with the prisoners rather than water boarding him..

That's straying off topic by the way, but I would feel a bit queezy about killing a pig seeing as its pink and has bits which are interchangeable with humans - and they squeal

I like shooting rats - beady eyes - like Eric Cantor - ooopps straying again. Anyway 17 HMR on a pig ?

ok a 22LR killed Bobby Kennedy and he had quite a large head - but it doesn't seem right to shoot a 300 lb animal with a 22LR although I once shot a sheep between the eyes with one and it worked....

Seems like these shots are really close so a 30-30 with iron sights should be fine and should knock him down with a shoulder shot and then not ping off for a mile a mile through the woods

Never shot a pig - they seem so friendly. What about darting them and giving them a 12 month contraceptive injection - wouldn't that lower the population ?

Edited by Austin Devon

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Never shot a pig - they seem so friendly. What about darting them and giving them a 12 month contraceptive injection - wouldn't that lower the population ?

even though you never shot one, your choice of an iron sighted 30-30 ia not a bad one.

Would you inject them with contraceptive before you eat them?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

A40?

791px-Austin_A40.jpg

Had two of em

Couldn't afford tyres so got caravan tyres

Wet road in Cornwall, caravan tyres (square profile) plus cables to the rear brakes !

It would slide at 15 mph under light braking

Smelled of leather

built in jack that swung down from the big separate steel chassis

I used to wash the baby's nappies in the sea at Praa Sands at midnight

Beans on toast. Those were the days

40 horse power. My Camry is 268 horse V6 3.5

Bit different

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

even though you never shot one, your choice of an iron sighted 30-30 ia not a bad one.

Would you inject them with contraceptive before you eat them?

er well... lets see.. seeing as I am not of the female persuasion, and if I was I would be less than optimally fertile, eating one that had died of old age or road kill after an injection would either give me man boobs or a six pack

I am not sure which

AS long as it didn't give me 10 titties I would risk it

Yes my pal has two 30-30s and the nice thing is the enormous range of bullets and powder loads. I have a LEE reloader so I am tempted - but after the accuracy of my 223's it might be a bit of a come down

Yes they reckon its the all time short range deer rifle, so short range piggy splatting should be fine

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for all the responses and for the advice on hunting wild pigs / puercos. I'm the person whom TBoneTX wrote on behalf of. As already mentioned, my Ecuadorian wife and I moved from the city out to the country in Goliad, TX not too long ago and it has been quite a change. We've got a lot of wildlife roaming around here including wild pigs which are both plentiful and quite tasty from what I hear. Now that we've recently bought a big 23 cu ft chest freezer, I'm ready to buy a firearm to hunt these puercos. I have to admit that hunting and firearms are like Greek to me but since puercos are plentiful and good for eating, I now have a reason to be interested in hunting. Any suggestions on where I might consider buying a rifle? Should I buy used from a place like Craigslist, pawn shops, eBay???? What should I expect to pay for say a Remington 870 express?

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses and for the advice on hunting wild pigs / puercos. I'm the person whom TBoneTX wrote on behalf of. As already mentioned, my Ecuadorian wife and I moved from the city out to the country in Goliad, TX not too long ago and it has been quite a change. We've got a lot of wildlife roaming around here including wild pigs which are both plentiful and quite tasty from what I hear. Now that we've recently bought a big 23 cu ft chest freezer, I'm ready to buy a firearm to hunt these puercos. I have to admit that hunting and firearms are like Greek to me but since puercos are plentiful and good for eating, I now have a reason to be interested in hunting. Any suggestions on where I might consider buying a rifle? Should I buy used from a place like Craigslist, pawn shops, eBay???? What should I expect to pay for say a Remington 870 express?

The best place, assuming you are going to buy new, is from bud's gun shop online. They are the cheapest with good service.

They send it to a local dealer of your choice. The dealer gets you to fill in the Federal form where you claim to be sane and not a mass murderer. As a green card holder I sometimes waited 2 days for clearance but since I became a citizen, they clear it over the phone

State laws make you wait for handguns (often) usually 3 days or until your mother in law has gone home.

Rifles can be instant. The dealer charges you 20 to 40 dollars for his work

Yes I reckon the cerdos on legs can be taken with a 30-30 Marlin which is ok for recoil but can knock down a piggy easily or a deer or even a bear with the right bullet

They look nice too. You don't want a high velocity bullet that will explode the pig and fly for miles and kill the gringos. You don't want a big recoil that will stop you practicing

I have never shot a pig but I wouldn't like to fill it full of shotgun pellets as it would bruise it and you would have to pick them all out before eating it

Yes its a 30-30 Marlin for me

Second hand - go to a gun shop not a pawn shop - the gunshop will make sure its safe and have the skills to fix it if its bust. Link - Here is a beauty - you can get them a lot cheaper second hand or with a lower spec

BUDS MARLIN 30-30

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes pigs of course are very similar to some human beings and their valves can be used in hearts within reason.

If ####### got a pig's heart then he might want to go truffle hunting with the prisoners rather than water boarding him..

That's straying off topic by the way, but I would feel a bit queezy about killing a pig seeing as its pink and has bits which are interchangeable with humans - and they squeal

I like shooting rats - beady eyes - like Eric Cantor - ooopps straying again. Anyway 17 HMR on a pig ?

ok a 22LR killed Bobby Kennedy and he had quite a large head - but it doesn't seem right to shoot a 300 lb animal with a 22LR although I once shot a sheep between the eyes with one and it worked....

Seems like these shots are really close so a 30-30 with iron sights should be fine and should knock him down with a shoulder shot and then not ping off for a mile a mile through the woods

Yes, a well placed 17 HMR round above the nasal cavity, between the eyes. That hog ran about 50 or so yards and down he went, so yes, a small caliber 17 HMR, but that hog was as dead as if he had been shot with a larger caliber rifle.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

I used to prowl pawn shopsd but I was looking for the occasional collectors treasure. If you just want a stock, current production gun then any old gun shop will do. Try "GunBroker" rather than Craig's list

A used M870 express with no unnecessary gee-gaws ought to run you around $250 a new one goes for a bit more than $300 I think.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Yes, a well placed 17 HMR round above the nasal cavity, between the eyes. That hog ran about 50 or so yards and down he went, so yes, a small caliber 17 HMR, but that hog was as dead as if he had been shot with a larger caliber rifle.

Isn't there a minimum caliber for taking a pig? Any limitations on number?

For Texas:

How do I hunt feral hogs?

Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them. Feral hogs are very intelligent and considered to be challenging quarry. Many hunters consider the long tusks and mean appearance a genuine trophy, in addition to the quality of meat. They also provide a great off-season challenge and opportunities to hone hunting skills and spend time in the field.

There are many hunting techniques used, including stand hunting over a baited area, quite often incidental to white-tailed deer hunting. Stalking or still hunting over baited areas and areas indicating recent hog activity, such as wallows, are commonly used techniques. Corn or milo, often soaked in water and allowed to sour and then buried underground is good bait.

Night hunting with a spotlight is often used; however, the local game warden must be notified beforehand. (There are certain laws which prohibit using artificial light where deer are known to range.) Hunting with well-trained dogs is another hunting method utilized and can be very exciting. Because the feral hog has such a tough hide the best rifle calibers to use should be a .243 or greater to prevent wounding and loss of the animal. Bowhunting, muzzleloading, and handguns are also popular among sportsmen to hunt feral hogs.

Timeline

"Stunts" should not be used to recommend firearm cartridges. The .17 HMR is not adequate as a wild pig hunting cartridge. It is irresponsible to do so, particularly if you are hunting with dogs.

A hog brained with an adequate cartridge runs nowhere, nor can he gut a dog in lieu of running

Gary And Alla