Trk393

Did my friend just luck out?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok here is the deal, when I signed up for my N400 application I listed my traffic violations, someone I know however told me that I should haven't done that and that I would just cause more problems for myself. This person became a US citizen last year, the thing is he received a ticket for possession of marijuana of less than 1 gram 10 years prior but he never reported it when he signed up for his N400 form, he told me that the interviewer didn't even bring it up during his interview, he also said that for some reason his marijuana possession ticket wasn't in the computers anymore at the county court and that the records were destroyed. My questions are; Do they really destroy such records or is he just trying to make me feel bad for listing my prior traffic violations? I just want to see if hes lying or not. This is so stressful, I know the answers to the civic test questions by heart but the interview part is worrying me.

Kind Regards

Your friend is lying. Not mentioning his arrest could also come back to bite him big time.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I though you are not requested to list traffic violations unless they involved DUI or tickets of more than $500.

possibly not but it certainly cant do any harm i dont think

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

I though you are not requested to list traffic violations unless they involved DUI or tickets of more than $500.

You're not, but the fact that he did shouldn't be a problem. They can see quickly that they were traffic violations and move on.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok here is the deal, when I signed up for my N400 application I listed my traffic violations, someone I know however told me that I should haven't done that and that I would just cause more problems for myself. This person became a US citizen last year, the thing is he received a ticket for possession of marijuana of less than 1 gram 10 years prior but he never reported it when he signed up for his N400 form, he told me that the interviewer didn't even bring it up during his interview, he also said that for some reason his marijuana possession ticket wasn't in the computers anymore at the county court and that the records were destroyed. My questions are; Do they really destroy such records or is he just trying to make me feel bad for listing my prior traffic violations? I just want to see if hes lying or not. This is so stressful, I know the answers to the civic test questions by heart but the interview part is worrying me.

Kind Regards

You did the right thing. Your friend could have his USC revoked if they ever find out he lied.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You're not, but the fact that he did shouldn't be a problem. They can see quickly that they were traffic violations and move on.

That's what I meant. if you're not even required to list them, it's because they don't deem them relevant to the process. Therefore, listing them should not do any harm.

Filed: Other Timeline

You "thought?"

Well, if so, you thought wrongly. You need to list anything and everything, but you don't have to document anything under $500. Let me know if you don't understand the difference between listing something and documenting it.

Hint: documenting involves paperwork of proof.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

No, the "DUI and ticket > $500" thing refers to submitting documentation for USCIS to consider your case (in your favor) if you have offenses listed on your N-400 form. You still need to list all past offenses, no matter how trivial they were in nature on your N-400 form.

Failing to do so is consider lying. There is a post on this board currently regarding a $15 minor offense not reported on N-400 form, USCIS found out, denied the case and told the applicant to try again in 3 years. Traffic infractions are not a deal breaker in the eye of USCIS, but lying is. Many people have successfully gained their citizenship with traffic infractions listed on their N-400 form.

Do not withhold any truth from USCIS, as that could end up costing you a lot more (emotionally and financially) than you ever imagine.

Good luck and cheers

Kind Regards

This is both funny and ironic.

You provided information that you didn't have to provide. Personally, I think the IO would appreciate your honesty.

Your friend is the one who did the wrong thing. He did not list that he was detained and cited for his drug possession. He is the one with the potential problem, not you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No, the "DUI and ticket > $500" thing refers to submitting documentation for USCIS to consider your case (in your favor) if you have offenses listed on your N-400 form. You still need to list all past offenses, no matter how trivial they were in nature on your N-400 form.

Failing to do so is consider lying. There is a post on this board currently regarding a $15 minor offense not reported on N-400 form, USCIS found out, denied the case and told the applicant to try again in 3 years. Traffic infractions are not a deal breaker in the eye of USCIS, but lying is. Many people have successfully gained their citizenship with traffic infractions listed on their N-400 form.

Do not withhold any truth from USCIS, as that could end up costing you a lot more (emotionally and financially) than you ever imagine.

Good luck and cheers

To clarify, the $15 offense wasn't a traffic violation, if I remember correctly, but shoplifting. While I agree that there is little harm in listing traffic offenses (if they care and you didn't list them it will cause problems while if they don't care and you do list them they still won't care), shop lifting is completely different. Traffic violations (barring things like DUI and reckless driving) typically involve a lack of attentiveness or a poor split second decision and don't have a huge bearing on a person's character. Shoplifting is a completely different level that demonstrates a willful disregard of the property of others and the norms of society and honesty. I suppose you can make an argument against a person who habitually speeds because he or she doesn't think the law applies to them, but even that is less egregious than shoplifting, in my opinion.

Further, the poster with the shoplifting offense said it was "a matter of $15." That to me says $15 is the approximate value of the item being shoplifted. It likely wasn't the size of the fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

When you apply it tells you to list EVERYTHING including being detained. My dad has a stop sign violation, went to court for it and had it dimissed by the court. Please notice that just because you weren't jailed, it doesn't mean you should ignore it. Being detained mean being stopped, i.e. being pulled over for a traffic violation. They said they would delete it off his records but he didn't take the chance and he wrote it in his application N400. He had checked out a book from the library to guide him through everything in the application and this book mentioned that if you didn't include being detained or jailed, even if your case was dismissed,you could be then seen as a person with lack of good moral character, which is a really big deal. Don't take your chance, just because your friend "lucked" out doesn't mean its right, and obviously he should've been denied of citizenship for being a liar and for trying to pose as a person with good character like all these good qualifying people waiting for citizenship are. When my dad went for his interview, the guy took a look at the application, and didn't say anything to my dad, and recommended him for approval. Like I said, don't follow your friend's footsteps and become a citizen with the wrong intentions, and with the wrong foot. Start it with the right one.

Edited by limenaluv91

09/12/2011 Got medical done

09/15/2011 Went back to doctor to get PPD read

09/15/2011 Sent package via express USPS at 5:30 pm

09/16/2011 Email confirmation of delivery to lockbox in Chicago

09/20/2011 Email/text from USCIS

09/20/2011 Cashier's check cashed!!

09/21/2011 Touch (for what?, I don't know)

09/27/2011 2 NOA1 in mail! Dated: September 20, 2011 (I485 & I765)

10/03/2011 Biometrics letter in the mail. Dated 9/28. Appt. for 10/26.

10/04/2011 Biometrics walk in- Successful!!!!!! 

11/09/2011 Text/Email stating EAD card is in production 

11/15/2011 EAD Update

11/16/2011 Approval of EAD sent by mail

11/18/2011 EAD in hand

11/21/1011 Applied for SSN

11/26/2011 Social Security Card in the mail!

--/--/2011 Interview

02/16/2012 Date when P.R. began

12/22/2016 Mailed N400 forms Dallas Texas

12/30/2016 USCIS received N400 application (Texas Lockbox)

01/09/2017 Credit Card charged $680

01/11/2017 Notice date

01/15/2017 Notice date for biometrics appt

01/31/2017 Biometrics appointment at West Palm Beach ASC

02/03/2017 Notification (online) - Application in interview process

07/25/2017 Text notification that my case was updated. Interview scheduled! Waiting for letter with interview date. 
07/31/2017 Letter received in the mail! Interview date: August 31, 2017. Notice date: July 26, 2017

08/31/2017 Interview - Approved - Oath letter given to me same day

09/07/2017 Oath Ceremony! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Do the right thing, and you should not have a problem, Follow the directions, try and not read too much into them.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

To clarify, the $15 offense wasn't a traffic violation, if I remember correctly, but shoplifting. While I agree that there is little harm in listing traffic offenses (if they care and you didn't list them it will cause problems while if they don't care and you do list them they still won't care), shop lifting is completely different. Traffic violations (barring things like DUI and reckless driving) typically involve a lack of attentiveness or a poor split second decision and don't have a huge bearing on a person's character. Shoplifting is a completely different level that demonstrates a willful disregard of the property of others and the norms of society and honesty. I suppose you can make an argument against a person who habitually speeds because he or she doesn't think the law applies to them, but even that is less egregious than shoplifting, in my opinion.

Further, the poster with the shoplifting offense said it was "a matter of $15." That to me says $15 is the approximate value of the item being shoplifted. It likely wasn't the size of the fine.

I can see where you are coming from SMR. I was not making a comparison of the types and severity of offenses as in shoplifting vs speeding violation in my previous post. I merely trying to say : USCIS does not like being lied to. When I read the poster's story, the impression I got is : the poster said she misunderstood the question and did not disclose the little offense committed in her youth on her N-400 form. Unfortunately, her USCIS case officer somehow uncovered that and determined she intentionally misrepresented her answer and ruled that as a " lack of good moral character". Hence the disqualification of her case (note : the bar is a temporary one as she was given an option to try again in 3 years' time)

Many people have (and are entitled) to have their opinions to if traffic infractions should be included on N-400. People did different things and had different experiences with their USCIS case officers. Bottom line, one has to decide what makes the most sense for them. My interpretation of a moving violation ticket (eg. speeding, red light) is a citation, so it should be listed.

Whether the USCIS officer ends up grilling you on that offense or not does not matter, what matters most is you get yourself covered against any potential perjury charge (Remember, you will be answering all the questions asked under oath in the interview).

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.