catracha85

Just moved US 4 months ago

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi.... I just moved to the US 4 months ago. I have been trying to look for a job here, but nothing has arrived yet. Eventhough in my home country I have a Human Resources degree, here I have been applying in "lower" fields. I have fill applications in housekeeping, retail seller, telemarketing, waitress, at a flower shop, BJs, clothings shops.....even Mc D.! Sometimes I get frustrated, sad, disappointed, even mad at this f- state (we live in virginia btw). Thanks God my husband is able to support me and all needs in our home. But you know that now a days it is better to have two incomes in the house and (also that I love to work and I dont like to be a housewife). I feel like if I am having problems with not having a work history here, or no work contacts or recommendation. But, how the f- I am going to have if I have never been here before? If I dont have a work history???? Is this usual?? Is the economy just bad in the state of Virginia ?? or is it all around the country??

Any advise, recommendation, suggestion..........???? what to do? what to expect? :(

You are OVER-qualified for those positions. I would look for something in your field, like entry-level Human Resources positions. Make a US-style resume and highlight your achievements in your home country. Also, it might help to put in small letters somewhere that you are authorized to work in the US for any employer. Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi! Sorry you are having problems finding work...Its tough right now for sure. Being that all major companies do background checks and credit checks ...Taking about month or month and half with all interviews and background checks. What I would suggest is going to smaller companies , privately owned maybe and apply there. Have you found a Honduras community there?? That could be a good way into a job too. I find with Turkish people they help each other in these times find work. Maybe you could go this route.

ALso do research about interviewing. Here in the states its about confidence in interview. Google interviewing and you can get great suggestions. Do you have a resume??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No its not just your state. I have had to look for 1.5 year to find a job.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Same here. I've been looking for a full-time job since I received my EAD last March but no success until now. I was lucky enough to get a 9 hour a week job so I can at least have work reference and a company who has already run a background check on me (if it even helps). I have 15 years experience in financial industry where I am from and MIS degree but even JCPenney doesn't like me :(

Good luck to us! The right job will come.

12-16-2010 (Day 1) I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-I-765 applications sent to USCIS received
12-27-2010 (Day 11) NOAs received thru USPS plus Biometrics schedule for 1/12/2011 @ Michigan City IN and Rejection Notice for I-131.
01-05-2011 (Day 20) I-131 Refiled
01-12-2011 (Day 27) Biometrics completed in 10 minutes (whereas the drive is 1.5 hrs one-way, thanks to snowstorm in IN)
01-31-2011 (Day 46) RFE received (received via email alert)
02-22-2011 (Day 68) Response to RFE received by USCIS (received via email alert)
03-03-2011 (Day 77) EAD Card in Production (received via email alert)
03-14-2011 (Day 88) EAD/AP Combo Card Received
04-14-2011 (Day 121) Interview, Approved!
04-18-2011 (Day 125) E-mail alert received for Card/Document Production
04-23-2011 (Day 130) Green card in the mail
Removing Conditions
01/14/2013 (Day 1) Mailed out I-751 documents to CA Service Center
01/22/2013 (Day 8) Received Receipt Notice
02/13/2013 (Day 30) Biometrics Schedule @ Michigan City, IN

06/19/2013 (Day 156) E-mail alert received for Card Production

06/29/2013 (Day 166) Received card in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's a tough market out there. The official unemployment number is 9.2% of the population. The reality is most likely higher.

Keep knocking on doors and be prepared to wow anyone that you speak with no matter what the position.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It tough market, with high level of unemployment, I am not complaining but even ppl who have jobs have to work lot more hours compared to previous conditions.

If you have experience in HR, you can write up a resume and apply for starting position in HR. There are different HR practices in different countries, so you will have to demonstrate that you have the required skills.

MacDs and other position are not looking for ppl with qualification, as they are more likely to leave the job and move to better job, for which they have to look for someone to backfill those positions.

No its not just your state. I have had to look for 1.5 year to find a job.

That is frightening! :S

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Have you applied for any city or county jobs ?

I was at a job fair last week, had a booth looking for software developers.

Next to my booth was a recruiter from the city jail - starting pay was 13.50/hr, ca.34,000 per annum,

no prior experience needed for the entry-level jailer positions.

One other thing that works - become a volunteer with your local Chamber of Commerce,

show up at all Chamber events, work a table or booth, become the friend of the Chamber President.

Usually you'll be able to talk to business owners in a non-hiring environment,

and the Chamber President always knows who's hiring.

Expect a full month of 'doing this', though -it's not instant, and you'll be making new contacts and friends along the way.

Most jobs in USA are not gotten by submitting a resume - they are gotten because of recommendations from friends and acquaintences.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I feel your frustration. I've been applying for jobs every single day for the last 4 months, and nothing 'decent' came by yet. I've had a few interviews, but the pay the employers offered was too little (I would literally be paying out of my pocket to go to work, if I went for some of these jobs).

I have a 4-year degree and have been a Translator/Interpreter in one of the biggest Translation and Research Agencies in Cairo, and it just puts me down that I never get calls back for positions I know I am qualified for or maybe over-qualified for.

You're not alone.. Hang in there...something will come by one day.

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I got my EAD in September 2010 and only just today got a call to start training with a University. I went for three interviews at that same College and got a job on campus as a part timer. While it wasn't the one I was after, as I went for a library job there too, at this point I was taking anything that I could do. The irony is this job requires working in the food industry and I've worked in the office area for years. You have to lower your expectations and just go with what you believe you can do, match your experience to the job in similar terms to that position. That's what I had to do at the interview and they must have liked what I said.

Edited by Matt & Kari

Adjustment of Status from K-1 visa.

CIS Office: Charleston WV

Date Filed: 2010-06-08

NOA Date: 2010-06-14

RFE(s): 2010-07-26

Bio. Appt: 2010-07-01

AOS Transfer 2010-08-26 CSC

AP and EAD approved 01 September 2010

Service Request issued: March 17, 2011

Green Card Approval: March 29, 2011

Green Card in Hand: April 4, 2011

Permanent Resident since March 23, 2011

Full time State employee (VA)

ROC Window opens: December 23, 2012

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why are you applying in lower fields? Like others have said, apply for entry level HR jobs. Don't sell yourself short. Often times, lower level jobs won't hire over-qualified people because they know they won't stay long or are using the job as a bridge while finding a better one.

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

"There is no menial jobs, just menial mentality" - forgot the author. :)

I have 9 years of HR Management and 2 years of teaching work experiences in the Philippines. I am starting work for 5 hours day Mon-Fri as pre-school/day care @9/hr. I have an under the table babysitting "job" @ $10/hr that started today. It's a Sat and Sunday thing for 5-6 hours/day. I got my EAD July 9 and applied for SSN July 11. SSA said I should have my SSN on Tues, July 19. Preschool's ok I start (job shadowing) on Monday, Form I-9 not due til Wed. :)

Yes, I "lowered" my standards but these are things I love to do too..working with kids and any money in this economy especially would be of help. I am continuously applying for entry level HR jobs as all my experiences were in my home country with US company employers.

I applied at Walmart even for part time sales or customer service work as my mornings are free Mon-Fri. I was told I was over qualified. Of course I am! But I didn't care. Well, I should try Kmart.haha!

Good luck to us starting our lives with our loved ones in the USA. I believe that 10% that happens in life is due to "uncontrollables" but 90% happens due to our attitudes.

Have a great one y'all!

Nice to know i'm not alone in the job hunting thing. I'll have been here for 1year next week. I have a 4yr degree in Statistics and Math and I've been working in market research for 4.5years. Back home I'd've snatched up market research jobs in no time but man am I stuggling here. Thinking of doing degree in teaching (secondary math) here next year cos I did a bit of lecturing and tutoring while at varsity and it's always been a secret dream to become a teacher. But I'm worried about financial implications.

Right now I'm looking for every type of job from contract to permanent data analyst jobs to part time cashier and babysitting/tutoring jobs and only a few interviews to date. and i've just landed a job working saturdays and sundays handing out samples at Shaw's supermarkets just to get some american experience on my resume.

Is it ok that I'm feeling really down in the dumps about this? I have to keep reminding myself that I came here for love and all the right reasons but staying positive while job hunting is really really tough...

good luck to everyone out there who's job hunting and feeling lost and sad and homesick sometimes :)

xx

our timeline

27jan11 - AOS filed
22jun11 - Green Card

27apr13 - ROC filed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi.... I just moved to the US 4 months ago. I have been trying to look for a job here, but nothing has arrived yet. Eventhough in my home country I have a Human Resources degree, here I have been applying in "lower" fields. I have fill applications in housekeeping, retail seller, telemarketing, waitress, at a flower shop, BJs, clothings shops.....even Mc D.! Sometimes I get frustrated, sad, disappointed, even mad at this f- state (we live in virginia btw). Thanks God my husband is able to support me and all needs in our home. But you know that now a days it is better to have two incomes in the house and (also that I love to work and I dont like to be a housewife). I feel like if I am having problems with not having a work history here, or no work contacts or recommendation. But, how the f- I am going to have if I have never been here before? If I dont have a work history???? Is this usual?? Is the economy just bad in the state of Virginia ?? or is it all around the country??

Any advise, recommendation, suggestion..........???? what to do? what to expect? :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.