ryna

Evidence of financial co-mingling

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife arrived in January and we married later that same month. We filed for my wife's AOS back in March and we're still waiting to see if or when we will have an AOS interview. Meanwhile, I've been starting to think about how much they may want to see as far as joint accounts, etc.

Anyhow, here's what we have, financially speaking:

• I added my wife as a joint account owner to the savings/checking accounts, as well as an authorized user on 2 CCs, at the bank located where she can walk to it (but not our primary bank) while she still had only identification in her maiden name
  • Since getting her EAD/new name on SS Card, we added her as a joint owner on a second bank's deposit accounts. We waited for the EAD/new SS card so we only had to change the name on most accounts one time.
  • We have not added her to my primary checking account because of potential difficulties with Colombian law. (We use this account to send money to her bank in Colombia so she can continue to make payments on the condo she co-owns with her brother.) While we can send money to her account there using an account in my name, she can't send money from an account that lists her as an owner without filing additional paperwork with the Colombian entities so we've kept it in my name only
  • She is not on the deed to the house we live in which I bought 10 years ago and she can't be added without a re-fi as there is still a mortgage on it. That's not really an option right now based on the housing market as well as her lack of credit history at this time
  • I have not added her to about 10 of my CC accounts that I have maintained mostly for their contributions to my credit history/score. I'm also planning on thinning out the CC herd after we are finally able to refinance the house and see no reason to add her to accounts which I plan on closing after securing a favorable mortgage rate, especially given the risk that adding a person with no credit history could cause the established limits to be lowered significantly (which would damage my credit.)
  • She is listed as an account co-owner on our electric bill (shows on statement), cable and cell phone (which do not list co-owner name on statement). The water company will not list an account in two names, either on or off the statement. The landline is through Vonage, paid by credit card automatically and pretty much on auto-pilot. I haven't even thought about how or if it were even possible to add her to the account
  • She is the beneficiary on my two IRA accounts and also on my term life insurance policy. She is not listed as the beneficiary on a 401(k) from an old job that I have ignored for several years although that is the intention
  • As of right now, she is still not licensed to drive. Therefore, there is no joint ownership of autos to demonstrate (although I can add her immediately upon getting her DL# as I own my cars outright.) Also, as she is unlicensed, she is listed as an "excluded driver" on my auto policy. Although on it's face that sounds bad, it's really a consequence of her living with me and being unlicensed, not of my wanting to leave her off of my auto insurance so it should be viewed as evidence of us living together.
  • Last week she applied for a secured CC in her own name. I was not added as a co-owner because of my concerns about a secured CCs showing on my credit report.
  • We haven't filed taxes yet as a married couple as we married in January. My latest (2010) filing was as Single and she has never filed. The 2011 filing will be Married, Filing Jointly but (hopefully) AOS will have happened before we can show that.
  • The paystubs filed with the I-864 show my filing status as "Married". I didn't change it until about a month after we were married so the majority of them at filing time still showed it as "Single"

Well, that's what we have. I hope it's enough in light of our only being married for less than 2 months (when we filed) and the difficulties associated with making these changes while one still has "non-immigrant" status. I really hope they will understand that there are legitimate financial considerations, as well as negative consequences, to making certain changes to established accounts before their time. Sometimes, I think it may be easier for a young couple just starting out to show nearly-100% co-mingling of finances than someone who is more established...blush.gif

Anyhow, does this sound sufficient for AOS? Of course, we have all the other "personal" stuff - photos of wedding, birthday parties, holiday gatherings, trips we've taken, etc. as well...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can answer on the deed. You can go to country clerk office with her and add her name on as liable for property taxes on the property.. No need to show income. Also, why not refinance now? Rates are great and you have 10 years equity in the property. This is the best time to do this. This would help establish her credit without applying for credit card or other.

My wife arrived in January and we married later that same month. We filed for my wife's AOS back in March and we're still waiting to see if or when we will have an AOS interview. Meanwhile, I've been starting to think about how much they may want to see as far as joint accounts, etc.

Anyhow, here's what we have, financially speaking:

• I added my wife as a joint account owner to the savings/checking accounts, as well as an authorized user on 2 CCs, at the bank located where she can walk to it (but not our primary bank) while she still had only identification in her maiden name
  • Since getting her EAD/new name on SS Card, we added her as a joint owner on a second bank's deposit accounts. We waited for the EAD/new SS card so we only had to change the name on most accounts one time.
  • We have not added her to my primary checking account because of potential difficulties with Colombian law. (We use this account to send money to her bank in Colombia so she can continue to make payments on the condo she co-owns with her brother.) While we can send money to her account there using an account in my name, she can't send money from an account that lists her as an owner without filing additional paperwork with the Colombian entities so we've kept it in my name only
  • She is not on the deed to the house we live in which I bought 10 years ago and she can't be added without a re-fi as there is still a mortgage on it. That's not really an option right now based on the housing market as well as her lack of credit history at this time
  • I have not added her to about 10 of my CC accounts that I have maintained mostly for their contributions to my credit history/score. I'm also planning on thinning out the CC herd after we are finally able to refinance the house and see no reason to add her to accounts which I plan on closing after securing a favorable mortgage rate, especially given the risk that adding a person with no credit history could cause the established limits to be lowered significantly (which would damage my credit.)
  • She is listed as an account co-owner on our electric bill (shows on statement), cable and cell phone (which do not list co-owner name on statement). The water company will not list an account in two names, either on or off the statement. The landline is through Vonage, paid by credit card automatically and pretty much on auto-pilot. I haven't even thought about how or if it were even possible to add her to the account
  • She is the beneficiary on my two IRA accounts and also on my term life insurance policy. She is not listed as the beneficiary on a 401(k) from an old job that I have ignored for several years although that is the intention
  • As of right now, she is still not licensed to drive. Therefore, there is no joint ownership of autos to demonstrate (although I can add her immediately upon getting her DL# as I own my cars outright.) Also, as she is unlicensed, she is listed as an "excluded driver" on my auto policy. Although on it's face that sounds bad, it's really a consequence of her living with me and being unlicensed, not of my wanting to leave her off of my auto insurance so it should be viewed as evidence of us living together.
  • Last week she applied for a secured CC in her own name. I was not added as a co-owner because of my concerns about a secured CCs showing on my credit report.
  • We haven't filed taxes yet as a married couple as we married in January. My latest (2010) filing was as Single and she has never filed. The 2011 filing will be Married, Filing Jointly but (hopefully) AOS will have happened before we can show that.
  • The paystubs filed with the I-864 show my filing status as "Married". I didn't change it until about a month after we were married so the majority of them at filing time still showed it as "Single"

Well, that's what we have. I hope it's enough in light of our only being married for less than 2 months (when we filed) and the difficulties associated with making these changes while one still has "non-immigrant" status. I really hope they will understand that there are legitimate financial considerations, as well as negative consequences, to making certain changes to established accounts before their time. Sometimes, I think it may be easier for a young couple just starting out to show nearly-100% co-mingling of finances than someone who is more established...blush.gif

Anyhow, does this sound sufficient for AOS? Of course, we have all the other "personal" stuff - photos of wedding, birthday parties, holiday gatherings, trips we've taken, etc. as well...

Timeline

I can answer on the deed. You can go to country clerk office with her and add her name on as liable for property taxes on the property.. No need to show income. Also, why not refinance now? Rates are great and you have 10 years equity in the property. This is the best time to do this. This would help establish her credit without applying for credit card or other.

If that is true here (and, I have not looked into that..) that would be great! I will look into it very soon.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

My God man that is way more than we have even now. We married in December, received SSN in January, and filed for AOS in March. The interview went like this:

"Hi my name is officer Moon, please follow me. Please stand so I can sware you in."

"Okay, may I see your IDs please."

"We have your completed medical and list of vaccinations. We have you affadavit of support and everything looks good there."

Then came all the questions to verify the information on the application..."What is your name?" "What is your address?" "What is your Mother's name?" etc. She did ask to see the Marriage License as I had brought the original and a copy. She kept the copy so now they have two copies of our marriage license.

She then told us that since we have been married for less than two years we will be receiving a conditional GC and must remove those conditions before the 2nd anniversary of the GC.

Total time was 20 minutes.

With what you have you should be good for the ROC stage in 2 years. I think USCIS knows that we are just starting out and if they had any concerns I think we would know it as they would have examined things very closely before now. They do do this all the time and I think they have a pretty good idea of a valid relationship verses immigration fraud--most of the time.

So I would say you are fine and I wish I had as much co-mingling as you two do.

You will do fine,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

My God man that is way more than we have even now. We married in December, received SSN in January, and filed for AOS in March. The interview went like this:

"Hi my name is officer Moon, please follow me. Please stand so I can sware you in."

"Okay, may I see your IDs please."

"We have your completed medical and list of vaccinations. We have you affadavit of support and everything looks good there."

Then came all the questions to verify the information on the application..."What is your name?" "What is your address?" "What is your Mother's name?" etc. She did ask to see the Marriage License as I had brought the original and a copy. She kept the copy so now they have two copies of our marriage license.

She then told us that since we have been married for less than two years we will be receiving a conditional GC and must remove those conditions before the 2nd anniversary of the GC.

Total time was 20 minutes.

With what you have you should be good for the ROC stage in 2 years. I think USCIS knows that we are just starting out and if they had any concerns I think we would know it as they would have examined things very closely before now. They do do this all the time and I think they have a pretty good idea of a valid relationship verses immigration fraud--most of the time.

So I would say you are fine and I wish I had as much co-mingling as you two do.

You will do fine,

Dave

Thanks! That's encouraging to hear. (And congrats on getting your interview so fast!)

Honestly, I think we have plenty of accounts together. My main concern was the number of accounts which, for whatever reason, remain separated would be an issue. That, and not owning or leasing our house jointly.

Of course, since we're still waiting on more AOS news and/or an interview letter, I wouldn't mind being one of those who gets a "Card/document production ordered" message without even having an interview scheduled.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think your list looks quite thorough. You have only been married a couple months, and I would bet you have more joint accounts than a lot of other recently married couples.

As for your wife being excluded on your car insurance, don't worry about it. I think it's quite common. When my husband called to update his marital status (Mercury gives a marriage discount), they were happy to do so, but added a note in the policy that I am excluded until I get a California driver's license. Like you said, I think it just happens if there is someone living in the house who can't drive.

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

I think your list looks quite thorough. You have only been married a couple months, and I would bet you have more joint accounts than a lot of other recently married couples.

As for your wife being excluded on your car insurance, don't worry about it. I think it's quite common. When my husband called to update his marital status (Mercury gives a marriage discount), they were happy to do so, but added a note in the policy that I am excluded until I get a California driver's license. Like you said, I think it just happens if there is someone living in the house who can't drive.

Thanks. This is making me feel better about what we've been able to do so far...

When I called my insurance to update my marital status for my marriage discount, my insurance costs went up because Florida law requires a surcharge for an Excluded Driver. huh.gif Ironically, my insurance costs more now than it did when I was single and while she doesn't drive at all than it will the minute she obtains her Learners Permit (and the exclusion is removed) and then proceeds to get behind the wheel with ZERO driving experience. headbonk.gif

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What you have already is fine. Don't waste time refinancing it's not needed. I'm not listed on the deed and the house was purchased after I was here. Due to it being purchased through Veterans Affairs and my income not being used I wasn't permitted on it. No issue.

Timeline

We went for our AOS interview last week, and the only thing they asked to see was my drivers license and her passport. I had every document imaginable ready...but they didn't ask for anything! Of course when we paid, we used a check with both our names listed and we submitted w2's with both our names in the packet. I really don't think they are looking for a lot. I thought it was odd...but we got approved and that's what matters.

Timeline

We went for our AOS interview last week, and the only thing they asked to see was my drivers license and her passport. I had every document imaginable ready...but they didn't ask for anything! Of course when we paid, we used a check with both our names listed and we submitted w2's with both our names in the packet. I really don't think they are looking for a lot. I thought it was odd...but we got approved and that's what matters.

Congrats! And, thanks for the interview "review".

Honestly, two years ago I had never even heard of USCIS. Now, at times, my life seems consumed by them... But, as I mentioned earlier, I feel better after seeing where we stand. I just want the interview (if there is one) over with so our lives can be our own for a little while.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Honestly, two years ago I had never even heard of USCIS. Now, at times, my life seems consumed by them... But, as I mentioned earlier, I feel better after seeing where we stand. I just want the interview (if there is one) over with so our lives can be our own for a little while.
Honest feelings, si man.

If it makes you feel better (and, it can't hurt), get an affidavit or two from a couple of respected citizens who know you -- pastor, policeman, relative or acquaintance who's ex-military -- anyone like that. Just have them put their complete contact information in the affidavit.

Good to have a sensible, refreshingly literate member like you on VJ, si man. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.