^_^

... and a new RWN hero emerges. "Speak English, muthafuka!"

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why? Does unintentional innuendo turn you on.

In your picture, you imply that I'm the fisherman. So it would be my fishing rod...

so you're saying it's far too large to be yours :rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not like many of these insulted Texans can speak proper English anyway.

What do you mean by "proper English"? RP? Queen's English? General American English? What is "proper English"?

If somebody makes mistakes speaking their native language it's their problem, imo. But when you come to a different country you should care enough to learn the language, that's most widely spoken, so, I think that if you live in the States, there's nothing wrong with people asking you to speak English.

And I'm not even American.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

What do you mean by "proper English"? RP? Queen's English? General American English? What is "proper English"?

If somebody makes mistakes speaking their native language it's their problem, imo. But when you come to a different country you should care enough to learn the language, that's most widely spoken, so, I think that if you live in the States, there's nothing wrong with people asking you to speak English.

Speak as in utilization, idiomatic customs, grammar, syntax, etc.

I guess you missed post #5, but there is a big difference between asking [politely, something Texans are stereotypically known for] to speak English and going off on a rant about being somehow insulted by the use of Spanish (and its translation?). In fact the second Senator in the video put the session back in order after the first one went on his rant that does not speak for all.

Interesting avoidance of the testimony itself- it was effectively translated so the silliness, as much as I agree with the need to use the lingua franca of the session (English) is that the first senator went off on what may be construed to be a resentful rant against Spanish. Quite childish.

The man indicated he speaks English but was far more comfortable testifying in Spanish and having it translated. The Senator claiming insult was a rude moron. End of story for me.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

The man indicated he speaks English but was far more comfortable testifying in Spanish and having it translated. The Senator claiming insult was a rude moron. End of story for me.

For me as well, but since the name of the game is to bait/tackle the messenger here, your critique won't get any pluses (save for mine :lol:). Add to that that the message would probably have fallen on deaf ears anyway if given by a blonde, blue eyed American speaker.

+1 :thumbs:

Southerners and New Englanders on the other hand do not usually speak proper English, and they were born here. New Englanders don't have the letter R in their alphabet, and some southerners have had family's that have been here for generations yet they speak something closer to Ebonics than English.

We speak English here on the West Coast. :yes:

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Timeline
But when you come to a different country you should care enough to learn the language, that's most widely spoken, so, I think that if you live in the States, there's nothing wrong with people asking you to speak English.

Hear, hear. I really don't get it. If one lives in this country for 23 years, it's certainly not asked too much that such person addresses a legislative body of this country in the mainstream language. Until 2050 or so, that mainstream language is English. After that, who knows?

It doesn't make a good case if you want to speak about immigration issues, issues of equality and such and then won't even try to be equal but make a point of suggesting that integration hasn't been that much of a priority for you. Sorry but that doesn't sit well with me.

Timeline

Hear, hear. I really don't get it. If one lives in this country for 23 years, it's certainly not asked too much that such person addresses a legislative body of this country in the mainstream language. Until 2050 or so, that mainstream language is English. After that, who knows?

It doesn't make a good case if you want to speak about immigration issues, issues of equality and such and then won't even try to be equal but make a point of suggesting that integration hasn't been that much of a priority for you. Sorry but that doesn't sit well with me.

I can full well appreciate that not everyone that immigrates here as an adult can learn to express themselves in the English language as well as others. Much in the same way that not all that are born here in this country use the language they are born and raised in effectively- and I am not talking about regionalisms or differences in linguistic patterns.

The man explained, as ready4ONE stated in his post, all that needs to be said. Maybe he doesn't need English in his day to day life- as we know from many, many other individuals that live and work in the US.

Filed: Timeline
I can full well appreciate that not everyone that immigrates here as an adult can learn to express themselves in the English language as well as others. Much in the same way that not all that are born here in this country use the language they are born and raised in effectively- and I am not talking about regionalisms or differences in linguistic patterns.

The man explained, as ready4ONE stated in his post, all that needs to be said. Maybe he doesn't need English in his day to day life- as we know from many, many other individuals that live and work in the US.

Excuses, excuses. The guy really doesn't look that old - if he immigrated some 23 years ago, he was in his 20's at best. Not too late to learn English for crying out loud. I've done it, my wife's done it. I know way too many people who've done it. Assimilation and integration - keys to equality for any immigrant anywhere - don't work without learning the mainstream language of your host country. The man explained? That dog don't hunt.

Timeline

Excuses, excuses. The guy really doesn't look that old - if he immigrated some 23 years ago, he was in his 20's at best. Not too late to learn English for crying out loud. I've done it, my wife's done it. I know way too many people who've done it. Assimilation and integration - keys to equality for any immigrant anywhere - don't work without learning the mainstream language of your host country. The man explained? That dog don't hunt.

His choices and his life.

Furthermore, you're not paying attention- he did say he spoke English. Just not too well. And in that 'not too well' group fall quite a lot of people, many I am sure having been here for that long if not longer. You may call it an excuse, others will call it reality and circumstance. The black and white routine won't work with everything.