^_^

... and a new RWN hero emerges. "Speak English, muthafuka!"

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I saw the clip. And I don't buy into the idea that there is any legitimate reason for an immigrant that has lived here for 23 years and has immigrated somewhere in his 20's needs a translator to address a legislative body. Is this the best the Hispanic community can do? Do they not have integrated and assimilated members that can make the case on their behalf? What message does that send?

There is NO Hispanic community. Hispanics come from a diverse set of countries. There is absolutely no community or unity between Hispanics; it's usually rivalry, hatred and xenophobia between Hispanics. It makes absolutely no sense for you to say "Is this the best the Hispanic community can do?", since it's like saying all Europeans or Asians are the same. Do you consider Ukranians to be the same as Brits or Spanish people similar to Dutch people? Eh, similar in the sense they share a continent, and if you split said continent in smaller regions, the cultures are a tad similar. That's about it. Now, try doing that with Latin American countries. It's usually highly insulting, for example, to a Puerto Rican to confuse them with someone from the Dominican Republic, and so on. In Texas... yeah, it's pretty much Mexican territory in terms of the largest and most powerful Hispanic group. I say all this as an Hispanic.

That being said, I don't see how it can ever considered practical to not learn the language of where you live in. I moved to Russia with an intermediate understanding of spoken Russian, and I don't walk around the cities asking people if they speak English, in fact, I never have and am always with the Oxford Russian-English dictionary to further prevent any need to speak my native language. It's an immigrant's job to assimilate as best as he or she can, and assimilation doesn't mean abandoning one's native culture by any means. It's extremely rare that I've seen signs and the like in languages other than Russian... if it's ever happened.

In terms of the video, I think (hope) the guy just decided to speak in Spanish to further reiterate his message about Hispanic issues, and the Senator? A douche. The guy had a translator, I'd see reason to get offended if there was no translator, but with one, just STFU.

Edited by AmyWrites

Filed: Timeline
There is NO Hispanic community. Hispanics come from a diverse set of countries. There is absolutely no community or unity between Hispanics; it's usually rivalry, hatred and xenophobia between Hispanics. It makes absolutely no sense for you to say "Is this the best the Hispanic community can do?",

Really? Then explain to me what the purpose of the CHC is, why don't you? How can there be or why should there be a CHC if there is no hispanic community with certain shared interests?

Filed: Timeline

Hear, hear. I really don't get it. If one lives in this country for 23 years, it's certainly not asked too much that such person addresses a legislative body of this country in the mainstream language. Until 2050 or so, that mainstream language is English. After that, who knows?

It doesn't make a good case if you want to speak about immigration issues, issues of equality and such and then won't even try to be equal but make a point of suggesting that integration hasn't been that much of a priority for you. Sorry but that doesn't sit well with me.

+100000000000

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

There is NO Hispanic community. Hispanics come from a diverse set of countries. There is absolutely no community or unity between Hispanics; it's usually rivalry, hatred and xenophobia between Hispanics. It makes absolutely no sense for you to say "Is this the best the Hispanic community can do?", since it's like saying all Europeans or Asians are the same. Do you consider Ukranians to be the same as Brits or Spanish people similar to Dutch people? Eh, similar in the sense they share a continent, and if you split said continent in smaller regions, the cultures are a tad similar. That's about it. Now, try doing that with Latin American countries. It's usually highly insulting, for example, to a Puerto Rican to confuse them with someone from the Dominican Republic, and so on. In Texas... yeah, it's pretty much Mexican territory in terms of the largest and most powerful Hispanic group. I say all this as an Hispanic.

That being said, I don't see how it can ever considered practical to not learn the language of where you live in. I moved to Russia with an intermediate understanding of spoken Russian, and I don't walk around the cities asking people if they speak English, in fact, I never have and am always with the Oxford Russian-English dictionary to further prevent any need to speak my native language. It's an immigrant's job to assimilate as best as he or she can, and assimilation doesn't mean abandoning one's native culture by any means. It's extremely rare that I've seen signs and the like in languages other than Russian... if it's ever happened.

In terms of the video, I think (hope) the guy just decided to speak in Spanish to further reiterate his message about Hispanic issues, and the Senator? A douche. The guy had a translator, I'd see reason to get offended if there was no translator, but with one, just STFU.

While I agree with your assessment of the actual topic (the video)- I believe you are slightly mistaken about the concept of a Hispanic community in the US.

Your concept of Hispanic disunity seems a bit outdated- while certainly you have quite a lot of historical foundation to conclude using the examples you cite, the lines of ethnic/national boundaries dividing Hispanic communities in the US follow more urban and immigration patterns nowadays tend to lump most new groups independent of national origin. At least this is what I see in one of the most segregated cities in the country (Chicago).

Really? Then explain to me what the purpose of the CHC is, why don't you? How can there be or why should there be a CHC if there is no hispanic community with certain shared interests?

Google Hispanic organizations. There are quite a few that include "Hispanic" in their names. In addition, I've observed a bit of "shared interests" among the Hispanics in the DFW area. I admit that Mexicans outnumber all other groups but I've come across many from Central and S. America. The only thing that stands out is a non Mexican hates to be mistaken for Mexican. If you mistaken a Peruvian for being Colombian? No biggie. But "you better don't" call him/her a Mexican. But I noticed some Americans of Mexican descent do not like being called Mexican. Anyway, I agree with you Big Dog. My father is from Mx. I LOOK 100% mx and feel included in any group of Hispanics regardless of country of origin.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Oh, come on. There was a lot of Hispanic disunity just last year - during the World Cup. ;)

I remember that Brazilian player's (checked: Leonardo) elbow on Tam Ramos' cheekbone back in the 94 Cup.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Many ESL classes in Arizona were free, I assume he missed out ?

The fella's testimony about 'breaking up families', IMO is silly -

this concept is repeated throughout all of the Latino/Hispanic groups -

and

the basic premise against breaking up families is:

Hey ! Yer here illegally - you need to leave the USA.

I don't see this as any argument - instead, it should be taken as a 'given'

or change immigration law, soonish, to reflect other stuff.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Probably a bit much of a commute for a guy from Texas...

Huh? the guy 'giving testimony' was from Arizona. or so he said.

He was giving testimony IN TEXAS, however.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Uhm, it was said in English by his interpreter, as well.