^_^

... and a new RWN hero emerges. "Speak English, muthafuka!"

88 posts in this topic

I am from Texas and I speak the English language with a fairly high degree of proficiency. I also speak some French, German and Spanish. I am currently working on my Russian. I was in the 9th stanine on my achievement tests all through school. I scored in the top 1% in the nation on the armed services exam and number 1 in my school all while being educated in Texas. I am not an exception to the rule. I did not study like crazy. I was not class Valedictorian or Salutatorian. People judge you if you come from a Southern State and have a Southern accent as less intelligent but this is baseless. It also shows the superiority complex that causes Texans to think they should not be a part of a country that thinks California is a model state. Most children in Texas schools are victims of overcrowded schools. We have a Very high level of illegal immigrants whose children are filling these schools to the bursting point. The fact that people refuse to take the time to learn English is also a huge problem with teaching. Teachers have to teach at the lowest common denominator. Children who speak English will have less issues with the course work. Children who struggle with English will also struggle with the school work. Teachers have to devote more time trying to correct this and the education of the other children suffers. Many people (not just in the illegal immigrant population) also think that schools are there to raise their children for them and do not do anything at home to prepare their children for the real world. Both of these issues need to be addressed more to help all children get a better education and be more productive in society.

OK. I got 2

1. Did you copy and paste this?

2. That's like a turtle telling a rabbit it runs fast.

Just kidding. I agree. How 'bout spacing a paragraph next time?

Be Shrewd! Be Astute and be aware who's watching ya!

An "average" week? Is that a trick question? :blink:

:lol:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hear, hear. I really don't get it. If one lives in this country for 23 years, it's certainly not asked too much that such person addresses a legislative body of this country in the mainstream language. Until 2050 or so, that mainstream language is English. After that, who knows?

It doesn't make a good case if you want to speak about immigration issues, issues of equality and such and then won't even try to be equal but make a point of suggesting that integration hasn't been that much of a priority for you. Sorry but that doesn't sit well with me.

So I take it then you think that, for example, Old Order Amish and Mennonites who have been speaking their own dialect of Pennsylvania Dutch (which is a dialect of German actually, not Dutch) in this country for over 200 years should abandon their heritage and language and just use English instead. You must be pleased to know then that their language is on the decline and in danger of dying out.

More's the pity, if you ask me.

So I take it then you think that, for example, Old Order Amish and Mennonites who have been speaking their own dialect of Pennsylvania Dutch (which is a dialect of German actually, not Dutch) in this country for over 200 years should abandon their heritage and language and just use English instead. You must be pleased to know then that their language is on the decline and in danger of dying out.

The many Old Faith Russians here in Alaska speak Russian among themselves, and speak English to English speaking persons. Same goes for the Amish.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The many Old Faith Russians here in Alaska speak Russian among themselves, and speak English to English speaking persons. Same goes for the Amish.

Agreed.

I don't see a problem in speaking 2 languages (or more). The fact that I decided to learn English and Spanish doesn't mean that I'm going to abandon speaking Russian and Ukrainian, but it will make it easier for me to communicate with more people from different countries. It might be helpful when I start looking for a job too. It will definitely make my life in the USA easier.

I'm just wondering why some people don't want to make their lives easier. I just don't get it.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Timeline

288925731_b025652e66.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Agreed.

I don't see a problem in speaking 2 languages (or more). The fact that I decided to learn English and Spanish doesn't mean that I'm going to abandon speaking Russian and Ukrainian, but it will make it easier for me to communicate with more people from different countries. It might be helpful when I start looking for a job too. It will definitely make my life in the USA easier.

I'm just wondering why some people don't want to make their lives easier. I just don't get it.

Exactly. I often speak German with my daughter, my wife speaks Amharic to her. We do want her to know our native languages so that she can comfortably communicate when we're in Germany or Ethiopia. And yet, we all speak English. I can't understand why some people seem to think that it's one (maintain one's native tongue) or the other (learn English). It isn't. One can actually have both. All it takes is the will.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Agreed.

I really like your logic. Consider not everyone has the same language acquisition capacity too. And as I noted initially, you can even be hard pressed to find adequate usage of the native language in the first place, particularly among many of those that promote its usage. Odd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nonsense aside...

Speaking English is essential in the USA if one is to be successful or have access to success. Promoting the native language of any other country in lieu of English is simply oppression and nothing else. People unable to make use of the English language in this country will simply be dependent, unsuccessful and guaranteed to need government "assistance" to survive.

People from countries that have a culture to teach themselves and their children to speak English have far more success in this country.

I do not think we need laws to require English. We may as well legislate against stupidity. But stating that people should learn English in the USA is hardly racist or nationalist...it is good sense and good advice. It is why Alla is getting her degree (in 2 months! Woo hoo!) to teach English. It is why she insisted the boys speak nothing but English and have no exposure to Russian when they arrived and now they excell in their school work (Pasha was "Student of the Year" at his school and had the top math score in Vermont in a statewide math "contest" held at the University of Vermont) Now, she has to make an effort to continue his Russian education so it does not stop at the 8th grade level.

I am in favor of grown ups speaking at least two languages, at least being able to use another language if not perfectly fluent. Like shooting and ballroom dancing..it is just one of those things that makes you better if you know how to do it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

What do you mean by "proper English"? RP? Queen's English? General American English? What is "proper English"?

If somebody makes mistakes speaking their native language it's their problem, imo. But when you come to a different country you should care enough to learn the language, that's most widely spoken, so, I think that if you live in the States, there's nothing wrong with people asking you to speak English.

And I'm not even American.

Somebody gets it.good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not at all.

For what it is worth, about 80% of the spoken language in this house is Russian, and about 50% of the reading material is Russian. But ALL members of the house speak English very well. Alla is an English teacher and the boys speak with very little accent and have even larger vocabularies but probably not as much technical expertise in the Engish language as Alla.

People should speak whatever they want at home or even within their limited community.

The Amish will never be an economic power in this country and their language is useful within their very cloistered community, but outside of that, it would be erroneous to suggest it is a means to "success".

Anyone coming here should be encouraged, assisted, educated in English. Even "forced" to do so by limiting official access to other languages. You do no one a favor by giving them a driver's education manual in a language other than English. Period. "Immersion" is the current technology of choice for teaching a language. Offering an "alternative" for every possible contingency is not helping anyone.

Should we put directory signs in Spanish in Home Depot? Or would Spanish speaking people be better oiff to learn what "hardware" means?

People who want immigrants to succeed in this country encourage them to speak English. People who wish to enslave and make people dependent encourage them not to learn English.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He must have really felt like he had made an impact by the time he left.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!