Captain Ewok

General Info on Naturalization

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Something that is hugely important in all of this, which we didn't know about but found out when our immigration officer told my husband, you must file married (jointly or seperately) if going for the three year rule with marriage to a US Citizen. Please check with your tax advisor though.

• 8 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post containing link to fraudulent site pretending to be USCIS has been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 1 month later...

My Question is, What is the new rules on filing the US Citizenship base on Marriage. Is it atleast 3 yrs of marriage or at least 3yrs of PR?

K1 Visa

2007-08-16 filed K1

2008-05-14 new interview date (APPROVED!!!)

2008-05-23 NSO send docs. to USEM

2008-06-14 visa on hand

2008-06- 18 Flight from Manila to LA and arrived same date

2008-06-19 See Disneyland LA

2008-06-21 I arrived San Francisco

2008-06-27 CIVIL WEDDING

AOS

July 08, 2008 FILE AOS

July 18, 2008 RECEIVED NOA AND SSN (mailed)

Aug. 06, 2008 Biometric Schedule

Feb. 06, 2009 Received Interview letter

March 09, 2009 Interview day

March 23, 2009 Received Green Card

ROC

Jan. 10, 2011 Biometric

June 15, 2011 Interview / Approved

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

* You must have held a green card and been residing in the US for three years (a 90 day shortcut is allowed on this point ONLY)

Thanks for the informative post. We will be able to apply with the 90 day shortcut. I'm wondering if any interviews, tests, etc. can be taken during these 90 days or if one has to wait for the 3 year mark before those processes may begin. I guess I'm wondering how quickly to the 3 year mark a person can actually become a citizen. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Everything but the oath can be done before the 3 year mark.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So question for you as I am planning on applying for my Natralization soon..

I just got my 10 year green card this month. Was married on Feb 6th 2009. So on Feb 6th 2012 i'll complete 3 years in US married to the same spouse and happliy living together. Am I eligible to apply for naturalization? Also My family lives in canada and i vist them once a year for few days not more than 7-10 days being in canada, would that have any impact on my eligibility as they specified there has to be a continuous stay in US.. I am confused on this as around April 2012 me and my spouse are planning on visiting my family in canada not more than a weeks stay. Any additional information on this will be helpful..

Thanks & Regards

****ROC****

GC-Date: Nov 25th 2011The 'Resident Since' Date located on your first green card

Sent: Nov 11th 2014 N-400 was mailed to USCIS
Packet Delivered: Nov 27 2014
ChkCashd: Dec 2nd 2014
NOA: Dec 8th 2014
Fprints: Jan 7th 2015
In Line: Jan 9th 2015
Int Ltr: Jan 19th 2015
Intview: Feb 26th 2015
Oath: March 19th 2015
Field Office: San Antonio

• 3 months later...

I am filing for my N-400 soon and I worry if I have to indicate that I had a traffic citation under Part 10 D. 16. Does it have any effect on my approval soon? I need help.:help:

June 11 - Mailed I-129F to TSC

June 14 - CSC Received I-129F

June 20 - I-129F Notice Date

Nov 2 - NOA2

Nov 8 - NOA 2 hard copy

Nov 20 - Package left NVC

Nov. 26 - USEM received our packet from NVC

Jan 8- Early Medical, received Packet 4

Jan 10- Medical Passed after 3 days in SLEC!!! Whew!!!

Jan 17: Early CFO seminar

Jan 30 - SLEC Medical Exam Appt

Feb 7th - INTERVIEW appointment at USEM (APPROVED!!!)

Feb 12th - Visa on Hand!

Feb 15th - Patrick's departure

Feb 18 - Pat filed for Social Security # and we applied for marriage license

March 1- WEDDING DAY

March 14 - Pat got his SS card thru the mail

Mid-April - We received our marriage license in the mail

May 2- Michelle's graduation :)

May 5- AOS Filing

May 13 - NOA 1 for AED AOS

May 31 - Biometrics

June 25- Notice of Tranfer of Docs to CSC

July 16 - EAD - Card Production Ordered

July 24 - EAD Card RECEIVED

July 25 - AOS WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

July 28 - GREEN CARD received!!!

April 30,2010 - I-751 sent to VSC

May 04, 2010 - I-767C

MARCH29, 2012 - N-400 SENT

• 2 weeks later...

HI there,

just to be clear .... i want to apply for US citizenship (granting that my home country Australia allows it, which im sure they do) - does the permanent residency card - green card - also include the two years prior to that before getting the permanent residency card ie - the conditional one that we have for two years?

if the USCIS changed it to 3 years, i qualify this year for the citizenship option - but if i can do it sooner - the better!! :)

thanks in advance.

Filed: Other Timeline

I am filing for my N-400 soon and I worry if I have to indicate that I had a traffic citation under Part 10 D. 16. Does it have any effect on my approval soon?

You are correct: you will have to mention the traffic citation, but if it's under $500 you are not formally required to provide documentation for it. That said, it's best if you take documentation with you if you have it, just in case the I.O. would like to have a quick look at it, which sometimes happens.

No, a citation has zero impact on your naturalization.

HI there,

just to be clear .... i want to apply for US citizenship (granting that my home country Australia allows it, which im sure they do) - does the permanent residency card - green card - also include the two years prior to that before getting the permanent residency card ie - the conditional one that we have for two years?

if the USCIS changed it to 3 years, i qualify this year for the citizenship option - but if i can do it sooner - the better!! :)

thanks in advance.

The date you became a resident is in front of your Green Card, any of your Green Cards, where it reads RESIDENT SINCE xx/xx/xxxx. The time you had "only" a 2-year Green Card counts as well.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thank you so much, Sir! Packet sent yesterday :thumbs:

You are correct: you will have to mention the traffic citation, but if it's under $500 you are not formally required to provide documentation for it. That said, it's best if you take documentation with you if you have it, just in case the I.O. would like to have a quick look at it, which sometimes happens.

No, a citation has zero impact on your naturalization.

The date you became a resident is in front of your Green Card, any of your Green Cards, where it reads RESIDENT SINCE xx/xx/xxxx. The time you had "only" a 2-year Green Card counts as well.

June 11 - Mailed I-129F to TSC

June 14 - CSC Received I-129F

June 20 - I-129F Notice Date

Nov 2 - NOA2

Nov 8 - NOA 2 hard copy

Nov 20 - Package left NVC

Nov. 26 - USEM received our packet from NVC

Jan 8- Early Medical, received Packet 4

Jan 10- Medical Passed after 3 days in SLEC!!! Whew!!!

Jan 17: Early CFO seminar

Jan 30 - SLEC Medical Exam Appt

Feb 7th - INTERVIEW appointment at USEM (APPROVED!!!)

Feb 12th - Visa on Hand!

Feb 15th - Patrick's departure

Feb 18 - Pat filed for Social Security # and we applied for marriage license

March 1- WEDDING DAY

March 14 - Pat got his SS card thru the mail

Mid-April - We received our marriage license in the mail

May 2- Michelle's graduation :)

May 5- AOS Filing

May 13 - NOA 1 for AED AOS

May 31 - Biometrics

June 25- Notice of Tranfer of Docs to CSC

July 16 - EAD - Card Production Ordered

July 24 - EAD Card RECEIVED

July 25 - AOS WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

July 28 - GREEN CARD received!!!

April 30,2010 - I-751 sent to VSC

May 04, 2010 - I-767C

MARCH29, 2012 - N-400 SENT

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband arrived here March 2009

Married June 2009

Got Conditional LPR in August 2010.

About to apply for 10 year LPR

My question is when can he start to apply for citizenship?

3 years from the date he arrived

3 years from our marriage

3 years from his Conditional LPR

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

3 years minus 90 days from the "Resident since" date on his greencard.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.