Captain Ewok

General Info on Naturalization

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you had a baby after your status is naturalized, what will be the status of the child?

If the baby is born in the USA, it is a US citizen anyway.

If born outside the USA, it may be a US citizen, depending on how much time you spent in the US. Check out our CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) forum for more details: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/154-consular-reports-of-birth-abroad-crba/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

Could you please let me know when i am suppose to apply for Naturalization. My I-751 just approved today for 10 years GC and my conditional GC expiry date is 07/31/2012.

Regards,

S. Umer

Timeline

What is your "resident since" date on your greencard? Add 3 years to that, substract 90 days and that is the earliest you can apply.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi,i have a question about N-400 Process, my window is opening in March 2012 but i have to travel in Febuary and will be out of usa for about three months. so when i come back i can apply for N-400 in April/May, is that will be ok?

Hi,i have a question about N-400 Process, my window is opening in March 2012 but i have to travel in Febuary and will be out of usa for about three months. so when i come back i can apply for N-400 in April/May, is that will be ok?

Yes... that's absolutely fine. Just be sure that you don't exceed the amount of time that you are allowed out of the country. A three month vacation is fine, but you have to make sure you have been "physically present int he U.S. for eighteen months within the three year period before applying" (if you are applying on the basis of a 3-year marriage. You should read the information provided by USCIS on Continuous Residence and Physical Presence Requirements for Naturalization.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What is your "resident since" date on your greencard? Add 3 years to that, substract 90 days and that is the earliest you can apply.

For Resident since it says 07/31/2010. So when i need to apply for Neutralization? Its through marriage to a US Citizen.

Thanks much

Timeline

For Resident since it says 07/31/2010. So when i need to apply for Neutralization? Its through marriage to a US Citizen.

Thanks much

2nd May 2013 is the earliest you can apply. Many people recommend waiting about 2 weeks after your window opens, to be sure you don't get interviewed before your 3 year anniversary, which can delay oath taking. You don't NEED to apply anytime- you can stay a greencard holder forever if you want.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi there,

My wife and I have applied for Naturalization based on the 5 year rule. We are both citizens of India. Our first son was born in India and is 8 years old. We traveled back to India to have him. My question is this, when does my son become eligible for naturalization and when could we initiate the process? He does meet the 5 year rule on his GC. Any information on this will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

I have some questions and hoping to get some helpful insights from you folks. any advice is greatly appreciated.

1)I have been married to a US citizen for 4 years and I have my green card for 4 years now. I didn't apply for citizenship last year when I was 3 years married and have my green card for 3 years. However, is it still ok if I apply for N400 now and use the "3 year married to US citizen" rule for my case? I guess my question is for that 3 year rule, do you have to do it at 2 years 9 months or 3 years exactly and if you miss that period and you are over that amount now, you have to wait till 5 years to file for citizenship?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

2) I have always used my PO box for my mailing addresses for bank statements, bills, etc... and I would like to use my PO Box as mailing address for this N400 form as well. Is it ok to put PO box in the mailing address section (below the physical address)? Will USCIS send all the letters to my PO Box? Have anyone done this before? I am sorry I am a little concerned because I sometimes hear stories that USCIS will still send mail to the physical address even though you put your PO box as your mailing. Since we might be moving to a new place soon therefore I don't want to get mails at our physical address in case we move and they send me biometrics letters and I won't get it.

3) I have all our joint tax returns for all the years we are married, is that enough to send or do I need to send in bank statement and other bills for the last 4 years as well? (because that would be a lot of paperwork!)

Again, thank you all very much and I hope to hear from you guys soon! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

My wife and I have applied for Naturalization based on the 5 year rule. We are both citizens of India. Our first son was born in India and is 8 years old. We traveled back to India to have him. My question is this, when does my son become eligible for naturalization and when could we initiate the process? He does meet the 5 year rule on his GC. Any information on this will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

Since your son a PR, he will become a USC in the moment you got naturalized. After you get, your certificate you can apply a US passport for him by including your certificate. Also, you can apply for N-600 to get him a citizenship certificate.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Here is a useful link to USCIS that calculates the earliest filing date for US Citizenship: http://www.uscis.gov...Calculator.html

...main page linking to this calculator can be found here

Edited by M + M

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I just wanna ask, Does N-400 applicants also receive NOA2?? or just an appointment for finger printing?

(it's for my friend he is asking)

♥♥God gave you to me. I asked Him why, He said, “Because he can fill your life like no one else can.” ♥♥I love you and I really miss you so much luv!♥♥Hope to be with you soon and have a happy family!♥♥

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi guys! So it sounds like there are no required classes or courses to take, contrary to what i have been hearing from friends...is that correct? ..also, are you allowed to miss any of the 10 questions, or do you have to answer all 10 correctly??Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by souljah4christ

........January 2009: Michael & Leanne got engaged! t4527.gif

........May 26, 2009: Filed I-129F!

...Februay 04, 2010: Michael attended interview with Leanne... APPROVED!!!!!!!!

.......April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA :D

........July 06, 2010: Mailed AOS package

........July 08, 2010: Received in Chicago

........July 14, 2010: Check was cashed

........July 15, 2010: Received text & email that app. was received

........July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

........July 19, 2010: "Touch"..biometrics appt. letter mailed (I-485 & I-765)

.....August 02, 2010: Biometrics appointment

.....August 03, 2010: "Touch" on I-485 & I-765

.....August 11, 2010: Notice of Interview date

.....August 26, 2010: Touches on I-131 & I-765, production of EAD card ordered

.....August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered (again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail! (both dated 8/26)

September 20, 2010: AOS Interview...APPROVED!!!

usabig.gifbig_heart_beating.gifukbig.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys! So it sounds like there are no required classes or courses to take, contrary to what i have been hearing from friends...is that correct? ..also, are you allowed to miss any of the 10 questions, or do you have to answer all 10 correctly??Thanks for the help! :)

you will have to learn civics so that you will answer the 10 questions (try on uscis website practice test), and yes you are allowed to miss questions BUT make sure you answer atleast 6 out of 10.

GoodLuck!

Edited by lufthgiled

♥♥God gave you to me. I asked Him why, He said, “Because he can fill your life like no one else can.” ♥♥I love you and I really miss you so much luv!♥♥Hope to be with you soon and have a happy family!♥♥

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.