476 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I was just wondering, will my fiance need to apply for a S.S. card if he already had one before. He use to live here under a different visa and that was only 2 yrs. ago. So when he gets here will he have to apply for a new number?

A social security number is your's for life. He will keep the same number. Though his social security should say 'employment with DHS authorisation only' (or somehting similar to that). Once his green card has been approved then you just go get a new card to have that statement removed. Hope that helps.

06/27/11 - Mailed N-400 Naturalization

06/28/11 - NOA Priority Date

08/10/11 - Biometrics (Early FP 07/21/11)

08/01/11 - In Line for Interview Scheduling

08/11/11 - Got Email the interview is scheduled

08/15/11 - Received interview letter for September 19th

08/15/11 - Received interview cancellation letter

10/14/11 - Received new interview letter

11/17/11 - N400 interview - PASSED!!!

11/29/11 - In Line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

12/30/11 - Got email that oath ceremony is scheduled

01/27/12 - Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!!

04/30/10 - Mailed I-751 ROC

05/11/10 - Received NOA (dated 05/03/10)

06/11/10 - Biometrics

07/13/10 - Card Production Ordered

07/22/10 - 10 year Green Card Received in the mail

07/27/07 - I-130 & I-485 Sent to Chicago Lock Box

09/04/07 - Received NOA1 for both I-130 & I-485 (Notice Date of 31st August)

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

04/21/08 - Received I-130 Approval Notice

05/09/08 - I-485 Approved (Email - Welcome Notice mailed)

05/20/08 - PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD ARRIVED IN THE MAIL

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I was wondering if I need all of those documents listed are require for the interview. It is overwhelming. If I don't need everything, could you please share with me what you had... Thank you, and I am new to this forum

:) Hi! YOROSHIU ONEGAISHIMASU! I am a permanent residence of Japan. I am new here also...my interview is soon also. Just look at the requirements needed on your interview letter and check all that is only acquired to you.I think TAX documents and emloyment records are imortant ofcourse and you have to provide proof of marriage (if marriage visa)and be sure to have them with you on your interview.Be sure you have the all original forms and photo copy of all the documents as what I am preparing now. Be well prepared.

Hello, I would like to get married on November 17, because until November 30 meet 90 days to do so. We do not have the money now to begin the adjustment, which are about $ 1,010 dollars which is much indeed. There is a problem that we apply the adjustment after 90 days? Thanks

Hello, I would like to get married on November 17, because until November 30 meet 90 days to do so. We do not have the money now to begin the adjustment, which are about $ 1,010 dollars which is much indeed. There is a problem that we apply the adjustment after 90 days? Thanks

As long as you get married within the 90 days then you are ok. Some people who came out on a K1 got married within the timeframe and didn't file their AOS for a year. I don't believe there is a set time frame of when you ahve to file the AOS, though it is probably better to file it as soon as you can (i.e when you have the finances) as you will be able to work sooner etc. Hope that helps, but i'm sure others will be able to give you more info.

06/11/10 - Biometrics

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
:) Hi! YOROSHIU ONEGAISHIMASU! I am a permanent residence of Japan. I am new here also...my interview is soon also. Just look at the requirements needed on your interview letter and check all that is only acquired to you.I think TAX documents and emloyment records are imortant ofcourse and you have to provide proof of marriage (if marriage visa)and be sure to have them with you on your interview.Be sure you have the all original forms and photo copy of all the documents as what I am preparing now. Be well prepared.

KOCHIRAKOSO YOROSHIKU. Thank you for the information. It helped me reduce all my anxiety. I'm sorry it took forever to say thank you. I couldn't find my own post , and didn't get any email notification !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question::::: we didn't file for EAD , just for AOS .. this week, Happy to finnally get that off..She won't be able to work untill she gets here green card ...is that true... ???

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Question::::: we didn't file for EAD , just for AOS .. this week, Happy to finnally get that off..She won't be able to work untill she gets here green card ...is that true... ???

If you didn't apply for the EAD then she can't legally work until she has her greencard. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you apply for it? When you pay the $1010 for AOS, that price includes the EAD and AP, so you could have applied for it altogether.

I filed before the fee increase and didn't want to pay the extra for the EAD, but since the fee increase it's almost in your best interest to apply for the EAD since its included in the fee.

06/11/10 - Biometrics

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Please direct questions to the forum at large. This thread is not for asking/answering questions (despite any I may have answered in the past :) )

ok, now i'm really confused...and apparently, not that smart...so, if this thread is not for asking/answering questions...what is it for???

K-1 TIMELINE

engaged--------------------------------------dec 27, 06

i129f signed for by "m.salcedo" at t.s.c.---feb 09, 07

noa1 from c.s.c.------------------------------feb 16, 07

nao2------------------------------------------may 07, 07

mailed to nvc--------------------------------may 10, 07

rec'd at nvc----------------------------------may 14, 07

left nvc for kiev----------------------------- may 16, 07

rec'd kiev------------------------------------may 21, 07

interview-------------------------------------july 16, 07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Please direct questions to the forum at large. This thread is not for asking/answering questions (despite any I may have answered in the past :) )

ok, now i'm really confused...and apparently, not that smart...so, if this thread is not for asking/answering questions...what is it for???

This thread was originally meant for people to give tips to go through the AOS process. Things they learnt through their journey and that could be useful to others. By keeping it question free it would make it easier for everyone to read. At least that's what I understand of it.

Take the time to read the first page of the thread.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi, and congrats on your new marriage.....

I just got married in February of 2006, and my timeline was short, just like yours. We applied in February, and my interview was June, 2006. Yes, this THE ACTUAL interview...there is no second one. Why they put initial interview on the form I'll never know....

I actually had the interview before I had a social security number. This presented an interesting problem, because I wanted to show we had a bona fide marriage. Therefore, whatever you do, (if you haven't already) get your wife added to your lease or house documents, add her to your medical insurance, and add her to your bank account. All of these things can be done without a social security number...I know, because I did it...if the bank tells you no, they are misinformed. You can't open a new account without a social security number, but you can add someone to your account temporarily until they get one. ( US bank did this for my husband and I and gave me a letter stating they were aware of my pending social security number to take with me to the interview) Don't just rely on wedding documents for proof of valid marriage...because of marriage fraud, they look for actual documents that support your claim you are building a life TOGETHER.......

You may have done all this, I just thought I'd let you know if you hadn't. In answer to your question about travel, once you have your interview and have been approved for temporary permanent residency (2 year temporary because of short time of marriage) you will receive your permanent resident card in about 2 weeks, and then you can travel outside of the country. The permanent resident card is what enables you to re enter the United States...since you can't get a passport if you are not a US citizen, it serves as the document you need for travel. You may be approved before your permission to travel outside the United States documents (advanced parole) are ever processed.

Also, they will tell you right at the interview if you are approved, and just like my approval, it will be 2 year conditional, because you haven't been married 2 years yet: then you will have to fill out a new form in about 18 months for removal of conditional status...at that time they look at documents to support your ongoing marriage and that you have actually built a life together...(legal documents such as buying property, life insurance, joint tax returns etc etc....)

If you have any questions about what documents to bring to the interview, let me know....there are are so many rumours out there about what you need or don't need, and they want documents that support your building your marriage together (not just wedding photos) when you are applying for AOS alone...They want to see you are starting to build a life together....

Again, congrats and hope this helps... :)

Hi--saw your post and had a few questions. Dang, as if just getting the visa wasn't enough....lol

ANYWAY, we filed for EAD, AOS yesterday. We live near Knoxville, TN. Does that mean we have to go to Memphis for an interview? Also, could you tell me the order in which we have to do things from this point on?

Does he have to have more/new fingerprints? If so, from where? near our city of residence?

We sent in the papers yesterday. When might we expect an interview? How much time do we have to prepare? How long does the interview last? And this is where I presume we bring stuff that shows we are on the same bank accounts, etc.

Did I read correctly that we get approval the day of the interview? How long before we get written approval? We went through JFK just so he could work, but there have been so many paperwork screwups, that he has just applied for jobs, and his stamp will run out in one month (read my nightmare on my timeline). Anyway, he is dying to work, bored to tears cuz we have no public transportation and he has to learn how to drive and learn more Enlgish to pass the driver's written test here. He didn't need to drive in Morocco.

Anway, I appreciate any/all advice you have to offer. Thanks, Debbie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi there,

I'm kind of confused. I got here on my K1 Visa. After my fiance and I are getting married we file for AOS. We live in Delaware, does that mean we have to send all papers to Chicago?? I hope I understood it right?

Do we have to send in a new bankletter with the forms or can we just use the one from the K1 process?

I hope someone can help me...

Thanks

Nina

Good info

****PS--Please encourage people to keep asking questions cuz this is the place where we all look and the questions help many people. Thanks, Debbie

Hello VJers,

I just received the NOA1 for my AOS , AP, EAD yesterday . My question , is how long will it take to receive letter for the schedule for biometrics?

Thanks to all of you guys.

By the way we just had our church wedding last Dec 1 . It was amazing and I am so blessed to finally found my husband ... my love and the man i will grow old with. :thumbs::dance:

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.