vett

k-1 and may get deported

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

But as of the time of this original posting, the couple in question is still married, therefore having joint custody of their child. The question of custody would be decided at the time of divorce....but I guess I just cannot see a mother of a 6 year old minor child 'preferring' that he remain in the US without her, especially if she has no sure way of returning. I wonder how the child entered the US...as a K-2 or as the child of the US citizen father.

yes he entered as a us citizen (born to us parent abroad) and yes she is terrified about leaving him behind not knowing if she will get to see him again, or when.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Marriage (if applicable): 2009-03-17

I-130 Sent : 2009-12-21

I-130 NOA1 :

I-130 RFE : 2010,11,06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2010,12,15

I-130 Approved : 2010-03-09

Interview Date : 2011-02-17 Submit Review

life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!♥♥♥

if god is for you who can be against you.

blue slipped!!

-- Second Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):

28/3/2011...APPROVED!!!!APPROVED, APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

Since they are already married and have already filed for the green card, I'm assuming the AOS has already been filed. May be best for your friend to speak to an immigration attorney to see what her options are.

ditto, that is what i told her. and thank you.

Moving from AOS Process to Effects of Major Changes. (Sorry for the additional move, OP.) I'm also going to try to edit your subject title as it should state K-1 and not K-3.

yes thank you. it's no problem :)...remember i am new, so i need to learn :)

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

I-130 NOA1 :

life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!♥♥♥

blue slipped!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Just a seperate word of warning, trying to present an e-mail from her husbands account can get her arrested and jail time. She might want to watch the case in the attached link prior to attemtping to present the e-mail.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374794,00.asp

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Honduras

I-129F Sent : 2010-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-17

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-05-06

Your I-129f was approved in 140 days from your NOA1 date

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Since she's married to him, she can claim VAWA if she was abused. What a horrible situation for her...unable to take her son with her even if she wanted, but little chance of staying or returning...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wait......if the son is 6 yrs old and they just moved to the U.S. five months ago, then the child was born in Jamaica. How does that make him a U.S. citizen? Don't you have to be born in the USA to be an American citizen? Or do I not know what I'm talking about? (very possible lol) She might have every right to take him with her. I'm not qualified to give you any answers but for some reason that popped out at me.

well she would be leaving him behind because he is an american citizen (born abroad to us parent) and the father says he would not sign the affidavit that would allow her to take him out the US.

o.k thank you, but i doubt they would be willing to issue a tourist visa to her since she clearly tried to immigrate. but then again she might have a chance if she can prove that she will be coming back home. thanks again.

yes it is. because the child is a us citizen( born abroad to a us parent) and the father says he will not sign any document allowing her to leave with the child.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

@ lisamarie. actually i didn't know myself,until recently, but yeah if the child was born to one or even both us citizen parents abroad, they are automatically us citizen. in fact when he left jamaica (the lil boy) he left with a us passport. so yeah strange but true.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

I-130 NOA1 :

blue slipped!!

Timeline

Since she's married to him, she can claim VAWA if she was abused. What a horrible situation for her...unable to take her son with her even if she wanted, but little chance of staying or returning...

i know about that option.but he has not abused her, in fact he would never harm her in that way. she just fell out of love with him. but thanks again :)

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

I-130 NOA1 :

blue slipped!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Wait......if the son is 6 yrs old and they just moved to the U.S. five months ago, then the child was born in Jamaica. How does that make him a U.S. citizen? Don't you have to be born in the USA to be an American citizen? Or do I not know what I'm talking about? (very possible lol) She might have every right to take him with her. I'm not qualified to give you any answers but for some reason that popped out at me.

Since the father is a US citizen the child automaticlly gets citizenship through his father.

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok...I didn't realize that. I learn something new everyday I guess....lol....thanks;)

Since the father is a US citizen the child automaticlly gets citizenship through his father.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

.......as stated above a person need not be born in the US to become a US Citizen. The child of any US Citizen born overseas is automatically considered a US citizen. That's how it worked with me - I was born in Lima, Peru in March 1983 and registered as a "US citizen born overseas" in June 1983...the parent just has to go to the US embassy and take care of the paperwork.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Well it's great to hear that he hasn't or wouldn't harm her they must care for and respect each other even if they are having a rough patch. Maybe they should try a little longer to work out the marriage for the child's sake. That's a very hard age for a child to loose a parent. If they try now at this critical time they know they have done all they could and still get a divorced later.

Edited by Pegworth

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

.......as stated above a person need not be born in the US to become a US Citizen. The child of any US Citizen born overseas is automatically considered a US citizen. That's how it worked with me - I was born in Lima, Peru in March 1983 and registered as a "US citizen born overseas" in June 1983...the parent just has to go to the US embassy and take care of the paperwork.

Yep. The paper is called CRBA (Certified Record of Birth Abroad)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
my friends are in a spot.

- they have been together for 8yrs and have a 6yr old son together.

- the male is the USC and he filed for a fiance visa for the female (they are both my friends)

- it's been about 5months now since they moved to the us, and has been married for 3 months.

- The husband just found out from his wife that she does not love him any more. so he accused her of marrying him only for the green card, because he said it's obvious that she knew that she was no longer in love with him way before they got to the US

- she hasn't even gotten her conditional green card as yet.she did her biometrics and got her work permit, but they have not been scheduled for an interview for the actual green card as yet.

- now he is threatening to have her removed

- my friend thinks she has a case since they been together so long and also have a son together. she also says she has emails that another woman wrote him while they were married, so she can prove that he is the reason the marriage dissolved.

QN - do you think there is a way that she can stay in the US based on the above story? in other words do you think she has any case at all?

So I changed the layout of your post to make it a bit easier to respond to.

Most of what you said above would be good evidence for her if she wanted to ROC by herself, or for her GC interview (if she has one) IF they were still together (minus the letter from another woman of course) BUT because she doesn't even have a greencard yet, none of all that relationship stuff matters.

Unfortunately for your girl friend she needs her husband to get her greencard (you stated there is no abuse so VAWA isn't an option). All he needs to do is withdraw his affidavit of support and/or not attend the interview and her GC application is denied and she has to leave the US.

He can't really have her "removed" so to speak, but he can just not help her get her greencard and that means she needs to leave or she will be here out-of-status (when her AOS application is denied because he doesn't go to the interview or withdraws his sponsorship).

What you SHOULD remind your friend of is that if he really plans on divorcing her and withdrawing sponsorship then she NEEDS to leave the country before she has accrued 180 out-of-status days. She doesn't want to get a ban for overstay. She will also get a letter (once the AOS is denied/revoked) that gives her 30 days to leave.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** Edit - to make my answer to your question more obvious, no. Your friend cannot get a greencard unless her husband goes to the interview with her and they prove their relationship. She cannot get a greencard if her husband pulls his sponsorship. She will need to leave the US. I suggest your friend do something about the child arrangement.

Based on what you wrote, the child has lived the start of his/her life NOT in the US. It is in the childs best interest to be with his/her mother or at least access to his/her mother. A friend of mine's arrangement is that at the fathers expense, the child must visit the mother at last once a year in the US (the child wasn't able to leave his/her home country, dad wouldn't allow it) over an Australian long holiday I think it is (we don't have summer break like the US does). Perhaps they could work out an arrangement like that until the mother is able to figure something else out?

I don't agree with lying to USCIS but I do offer the following suggestion. If the father cares at all about his child, the mother staying in the US should be a priority for him. Some K1 AOS applicants don't get interviews. I would suggest to your male friend that he wait and see whether she just gets the GC without an interview. If she does then they haven't lied to immigration. If they get an interview letter, then if they're seriously not going to stay together then she should prepare to leave the US and withdraw her application for GC because she won't get the GC without him.

Also, on a more personal note. She can't help it if she doesn't love him enough any more. She shouldn't feel guilty for that. Sometimes it just happens. But they should try and end the relationship in a good way because they have a child together. It's definitely one of the hardest things about an international relationship when a child becomes involved.

Best of luck to them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If he lets it go through then he is on the hook for the affidavit of support. Not a good thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.