Kukolka

On which side of the bed do you sleep?

37 members have voted

1. 1. On which side of the bed do you sleep?

• USC male left/non-USC female right.
    • USC male right/non-USC female left.
    • USC female left/non-USC male right.
    • USC female right/non-USC male left.
    • We switch sides of the bed from time to time; we don't have set sides.
    • I don't know, we haven't slept together nor chosen sides yet.
    • My partner and I are the same sex and I sleep on the right.
    • My partner and I are the same sex and I sleep on the left.
    • I sleep alone by choice; I don't need to choose a side.
    • Other (please explain).
  2. 2. An interviewer asks, "On which side of the bed do you sleep?" In this case you cannot ask for clarification; pick the one YOU innately think the question means.

• Standing at the foot of the bed, looking at the headboard.
    • Sitting in bed with your back against the headboard.
  3. 3. Before reading this poll, you:

• would have asked the interviewer for clarification about the "sides", or clarifed in your answer.
    • had never imagined anyone might think of it the other way than you thought of it, so wouldn't have thought to ask for clarification.
    • had already thought about this subject, but were confident your way was the right way.
    • had already discussed this with your sleeping partner, and know what YOUR answers are as a couple; so your and your partner's answers would match regardless of how the interviewer envisioned "sides".

14 posts in this topic

Even if you're currently separated from your partner because of the visa process, if you know your preferred sides, please answer the first question as if you live together.

The essay portion:

What are the reasons for your preferences?

How easy or difficult was it to agree who would sleep where?

Is one partner's preference stronger than the other's?

If you have set sides at home, might you switch sides in another place, for example a hotel, depending on the layout of the room or other factors?

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another 'option' you might want to consider adding is something my former partner and I discussed.

He was of the opinion that the man always prefers to sleep nearest the door so as to 'protect' his partner by being between her and anyone who might enter the room. I've no idea if this was just his male chivalry at work or if there is anything more extensive than that, although I do find it interesting that when my husband and I discussed 'sides of the bed' preferences, he chose the left - which coincidentally, is the side nearest the door :D .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is how we came up with which side my husband and I sleep on. Currently I'm on the left (left side while actually on the bed, right if I'm standing at the footboard looking at the bed) and he's on the right which is right next to the door. At our old place I also slept on the left which was closest to the door only because that was my spot before he immigrated and I got used to it. He often stole my spot because he thought he should sleep closer to the door. :)

Another 'option' you might want to consider adding is something my former partner and I discussed.

He was of the opinion that the man always prefers to sleep nearest the door so as to 'protect' his partner by being between her and anyone who might enter the room. I've no idea if this was just his male chivalry at work or if there is anything more extensive than that, although I do find it interesting that when my husband and I discussed 'sides of the bed' preferences, he chose the left - which coincidentally, is the side nearest the door :D .

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

same way it is here, and for the same reason.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

That's part of the reason for my preference, to feel safe (or alternatively, trapped by him ;) ). Also, when we talked online before we met in person, both of us had our beds with the "left" side against the wall, and even though we slept alone, he slept toward the right and I slept toward the left. I somehow knew before he confirmed it that his room was set up that way. The room we're in now (in my parents' house, set up by them) happens to be set up 'correctly' for us (though there's space between my side and the wall. I preferred being right next to the wall but I'm getting used to the space to walk and may want it when we move to our own place). In hotels, we've kept our sides even if the room was arranged with the left closer to the door. The downside to our current sleeping arrangement is I like to read in bed, and the nightstand with lamp is on his side. :P

Other reasons I've heard are, one partner wants to be closer to the WC, or closer to the door to attend to children.

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Which is the left side, and which is the right? I am away from the door, and close to the light, the clock, and the remote.

Haha, whichever way you'd like to answer!

I answered question 1 the way most people have answered question 2 (perspective of sitting upright in bed) even though I've always thought it the other way. You guys seem to be "right". (As opposed to "wrong", not "left".) 3/4 people in my house have just always assumed the same, that it's from the perspective of being in bed facing the foot.

I've always thought it from a decorator's perspective, viewing the room from the foot of the bed. When I first read the question from AOS interviews, I started pondering whether others thought the same. I could see the more common way of thinking of it, sort of like in a car, right and left are viewed from inside facing forward, not from in front looking at the car. So now my family is teasing me about "driving a bed"! :rofl:

When they explain that it was lying on one's back though, I'm like, "well what if you sleep on your stomach?" :blink:

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

• 2 weeks later...

I want to sleep furthest from the door. So that leaves him closer to the door or further from the wall.

The sleeping order usually goes (from left to right) in the spot the bed is now: cat (us, f), human (us, m), human (non-us, f), cat (us, m). Cat 1 is not always sleeping on his side, but cat 2 is most of the times sleeping on the other side, so I'm comfortably sleeping in the middle.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

If this is true, it sure says a lot about the differences between my current husband and my last one. ;)

My current husband sleeps nearer to the door.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (USC) sleeps on the left side, me on the right.... looking at the bed from the foot of the bed, looking towards the headboard.

I have ALWAYS slept on the right side of the bed, and even though it would be better now for me to sleep by the window (I'm very hot at night), it would mean I'd have to sleep on the left side of the bed, and I just can't do it!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I picture it as if you're lying in bed, not looking at the bed from the foot.

It varied a bit when we were dating and sleeping over at each other's places. Then in the first apartment we shared, the bed was crappy - one side had a dip and the other didn't. I slept on the left (the higher side) against the wall for the first 5 months and then demanded we switch for the remaining 4 months, so I got the right outside dip, and he got the left inside higher place. I was sick of sleeping on a slant, and he weighs twice what I do, so his weight balanced things out.

But now that we're permanently together, and have a decent bed, I think we've permanently settled on him taking the left, and me taking the right. That also gives him the spot closer to the door.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Due chiefly to gravity, we sleep on the top side of the bed, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Same as other people I judge as lying in bed as lying on my back in bed, makes much more sense than standing at the foot of the bed.

I sleep on the left (of the bed and the left of my husband). Various reasons for this including the "door" thing. Typically we will arrange our room so that the door thing works with our sides. I am left handed and my hubby is right. I tend to sleep on my left side when finally going to sleep so I'm able to cuddle him then roll over to sleep more comfortably. He as well prefers to fall asleep on his right side. It gives us the chance to cuddle but also sleep comfortably.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The essay portion!

What are the reasons for your preferences? When we first shared his bed on my trip we tried him being on the left side of the bed and me being on right as a sleep on my right rib but he has a habit of wiggling up to me and this eventually made me fall out of the bed several times so we decided for my safety and comfort to swap so that I sleep on the left side and he sleeps on the right as the wall prevents me from moving over to accomadate his cuddle episodes. Safety aspect was due to a bedside cabinet being right where my head could hit on falling out of the bed.

How easy or difficult was it to agree who would sleep where? Wasn't difficult I explained after two nights of being on the right side and ending up on the floor to swap he immediately said yes no issues he will now turn over and sleep on his left side for cuddles so same position for us both just swapped it for comfort!

Is one partner's preference stronger than the other's? Not at all we tried our usuall bed preference and found it to be unsuitable so we swapped.

If you have set sides at home, might you switch sides in another place, for example a hotel, depending on the layout of the room or other factors?

Yes at home when i'm in england I sleep on the right side of my bed (double bed for one person) when I visit my fiance I swap to the left side of his bed and he usually swaps for me. Unsure about hotel rooms and other places as we have yet to have a vacation together.

~We started chatting online through a chat room in October 2007~

~We decided to have an online a relationship till we felt comfortable enough to meet in January 2008~

~Yay we finally met at chicago airport February 2010~

~Randy asked me to marry him March 2010 (informally with the promise of saving for a ring for my next trip)~

~Stayed with Randy for 3 month Vacation till April 2010 {it was great and I didn't want to come home =0( ~

~October 2010 Went to see randy for a second time for 3 months wohoo (was so sad to leave but it was a great 3 months)~

~25th October 2010 Randy asked me to marry him formally with a twin set ring the day I got there (was the happiest moment of my life)~

~To date saving for a 3rd trip,wedding and birth cert and hopfully applying for a CR-1 visa instead of a K-1 visa as origionally planned~