gbagbo

Free School after marriage?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I read someone's post on a different forum about being able to go to "adult school" for free after entry into the USA and once you've gotten married etc....

Anyone done this or heard about it? What type of classes would that be....GED or maybe regular university classes?

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

05/11/2010 - NVC Sent Case to Embassy

05/12/2010 - Embassy Received

06/17/2010 - Packet 3 received (1st one lost in the mail)

06/30/2010 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

07/02/2010 - Embassy received Packet 3

08/20/2010 - Packet 4 and Interview Date received

09/14/2010 - Interview.....Approved

09/21/2010 - Visa received

12/27/2010 - Entry into the USA. POE Los Angeles

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Perhaps they moved to a different country?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It could be GED if you don't have the equivalent from your home country. College education is never free

Perhaps they moved to a different country?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

College and Uni is free for military only.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

GED preperation at adult education centers are free you just have to pay the GED Testing Fee which is about $40.00 to $70.00 depending on state. and Yes you can go to college for free. If you are an LPR and have a minimum income to meet FAFSA Federal Financial Aid requirement... Good Luck

N-400 Naturalization

11/07/2011 - Mailed

11/15/2011 - Check Cashed

11/18/2011 - NOA Received in Mail

12/02/2011 - Biometrics Done

12/27/2011 - Yellow Letter Received

02/21/2012 - Interview Letter Recieved

03/22/2012 - Interview

05/11/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I read someone's post on a different forum about being able to go to "adult school" for free after entry into the USA and once you've gotten married etc....

Anyone done this or heard about it? What type of classes would that be....GED or maybe regular university classes?

Legal permanent residents (after marriage and AOS completion) have the same educational options as US Citizens. What is available locally and whether it's free will depend on you own city, county or State and your own income. Generally, "adult education" classes offered at public schools are aimed at those who do not have high school diplomas and are cheap or free. Ask around.

I'm aware of no "free" college. SOMEBODY pays the tuition, even if it's the government based on military service or financial aid.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Legal permanent residents (after marriage and AOS completion) have the same educational options as US Citizens. What is available locally and whether it's free will depend on you own city, county or State and your own income. Generally, "adult education" classes offered at public schools are aimed at those who do not have high school diplomas and are cheap or free. Ask around.

I'm aware of no "free" college. SOMEBODY pays the tuition, even if it's the government based on military service or financial aid.

This is correct! :thumbs:

Some school districts have an adult education program that goes beyond finishing high school or GED prep. The school district I live in also offers ESL, career technical education, pharmacology, Certified Nurses Assistant, CPR & first aid, parenting education, traffic school, etc. It's not free, but it is very inexpensive - about $40 per semester. They require proof you live in the district, but don't require proof of lawful presence.

The community college here also has very reasonable in-state tuition. However, you need to show proof of lawful presence to enroll, and you must have been lawfully present for at least one year to qualify for the in-state tuition.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

completely true,as far as my fiance and i know,there is GI bill,but there is no such thing as free college/university for the armed forces families

Timeline

completely true,as far as my fiance and i know,there is GI bill,but there is no such thing as free college/university for the armed forces families

The GI bill is used for the whole family not just the military enrolled. It is for wife and children as well.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

The GI bill is used for the whole family not just the military enrolled. It is for wife and children as well.

i know,but there is no educational center where you can take in your military ID and get free education,is there?

Timeline

i know,but there is no educational center where you can take in your military ID and get free education,is there?

With the GI bill it is "free" because it is all paid for in full by the GI bill. There is even a program for military spouses to get paid to go to school full time an extra 900ish a month. While they pay for you to go to school.

Everyone in the military says go to school its free. Make sure you go before you leave the military its free. Etc etc.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

With the GI bill it is "free" because it is all paid for in full by the GI bill. There is even a program for military spouses to get paid to go to school full time an extra 900ish a month. While they pay for you to go to school.

Everyone in the military says go to school its free. Make sure you go before you leave the military its free. Etc etc.

Some of the discussion is semantics but often semantics (particularly in the immigration process) are critical. The education is not free because the tuition is being paid. Period. If it's being paid for by the government, it may be free to the student but it is not "free". The US taxpayer is PAYING for the education. If somebody is paying, it's not free.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

This is partially true. The enlisted has to be under a certain rank ( I believe E5) in order for their spouses to qualify for covered education or certifications. The programs also have to be part of an approved list before the spouse is granted funding to take the course per this MIlitary program. Though, the spouse can also use any unused portion of their Husbands/wife's GI Bill.

For the enlisted, the GI bill does cover their college education, but does have some restrictions on it as well. There are some circumstances where the mil.personnel do have to cover some fees, but it is still a very small amount.

For the post'rs question, adult GED education is covered by the state I believe and you only cover the cost of the test to recieve the GED. But other than that, there really is no true free College education.

Hope this helped

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Generally ESL classes are available for free or very low cost. Check local community organizations. Your local library is a good place to start. These are classes to teach people English and range from basic to intermediate level. They are not college classes or college level classes.

Generally your fiancee will be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes until she has lived here for one year. SOME colleges make exceptions for people that did not move here to go to school. Our local state/public universities do NOT make this exception but yours might.

If she will attend a university here she will likely need to take the GRE or TOEFL exam which she can do in her country before she arrives. It is an assessment of her English ability and different universities require different levels of scores. Think of it as an SAT for foreign educated students.

If she has a bachelors degree, or higher, from another country she will not be eligible for federal education grants. If she does not have a college degree, she may qualify for federal grants. Depends on your income among other things. She may qualify for private grants. Alla started her MA program with a 50% private grant 5 days after arriving (before we got married) at a private university with in-state tuition. Again, this is a private university and grant so they can do whatever they want. It took many months of planning before she arrived to have this in place, but that is something you can do while you wait. Her education is not "free" by any stretch and even with the grant costs us several thosand dollars per semester. She had a bachelors and masters degree from Ukraine.

There is no "free education" and it has nothing to do with her marital status. Check around for whatever other grants or scholarships may be available, there are lots of private grants and scholarships, you just have to apply for them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I have been just reading as I don't know a lot about this subject, but I am interested in it, and we have numberous friends, relatives, and family who have been through this process.

I do have some information on this subject. This might be old information, but I think it is still valid, so you need to check it out to make sure that my information is valid, but I think it is.

If you are 60 years old or older you can take free college level classes from our community college. The only thing is that you can't get college credit when you take free classes. They are the same as the classes with the college credit, but if you are past 60 years old, and you are taking those classes for free you can't have college credit. If you want college credit, then you have to pay for the classes. It may not be that way for all colleges, but it is for our local college, or was some years ago, and I think it is probably still that way. That doesn't do me any good even though I am 65, I need the college credit to maintain my teaching certificate, and so I have to pay a heavy price for my classes. One way this could be used to a person's advatage who is over 60, is you can take the class for free without credit, spend the time, learn the subject with little stress, not worry about failing, then once you learn the subject you can turn around and take the class for credit and get a grade. This is just off the top of my head, so it is possible that the information may have change, but I think it is still that way.

That's the only way that I am aware of that college classles can be free to a person over 60 years old. Other than that as the other posters said, someone has to pay for it, and then you have to qualify for the financial aid. Even though I taught GED classes at one time for one quarter at this college I am not aware of the financial end of the GED classes. I did a practicum, then took over as the instructor for only one quarter because I was not interested in teaching in the college as I wanted to teach in the public schools which I did for ten years, but now I am still qualified, but I am not teaching, and I don't know that I care to teach either. I have a quite a few reasons for that, but I might sometime, so I am keeping that door open.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.