SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi joanne i applied for k-2 my oldest daughter uses her fathers last name my youngest carry my last name theres no problem as long as you can provide like a court order for custody or they might ask father's consent if the father is from your country... My kids has the same dad and he was not from our country so i dont need to provide father's consent ... I only got an affidavit as a sole custody... But immigration officer did not even ask or even at the airport pior leaving the country... Good luck!

Hi I have a question K-2 can also applied for EAD and AP? Thnx

Yes! send in all the paperwork together. We did this for our K2, 10, so that we could get him his SSN for tax purposes.

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Some questions please, im here in the US. Married to my US citizen husband last March.. but is planning to get my son who's 8 years old from my country..

1.) What is the difference of getting my son within 1 year (after K1) was approved versus within 6mos (it is stated in my I-864 that i just passed)?

2.) What are the documents needed by my son (he's 8 years old) in acquiring a K2 visa? (Given the fact that i'm already married)

Will greatly appreciate your help. :)

Hi guys,

Some questions please, im here in the US. Married to my US citizen husband last March.. but is planning to get my son who's 8 years old from my country..

1.) What is the difference of getting my son within 1 year (after K1) was approved versus within 6mos (it is stated in my I-864 that i just passed)?

2.) What are the documents needed by my son (he's 8 years old) in acquiring a K2 visa? (Given the fact that i'm already married)

Will greatly appreciate your help. :)

OK, was your son listed on the I-129F? If so you will need to submit everything - new - as listed in the embassy instructions letter (http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf) (some things are age related and may not be required - read the instructions), this means new forms/documents. You must complete all of this and your son's visa must be issued BEFORE the one year date of your visa issuance.

CFO registration is required, seminar is age related. (see CFO tab in my guide - link below in signature)

You may want to go over to the Philippine Forum here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-Philippines/ if you have additional questions as it would relate to Filipino's.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

OK, was your son listed on the I-129F? If so you will need to submit everything - new - as listed in the embassy instructions letter (http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf) (some things are age related and may not be required - read the instructions), this means new forms/documents. You must complete all of this and your son's visa must be issued BEFORE the one year date of your visa issuance.

CFO registration is required, seminar is age related. (see CFO tab in my guide - link below in signature)

You may want to go over to the Philippine Forum here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-Philippines/ if you have additional questions as it would relate to Filipino's.

Hi Greenbaum,

Many thanks for your reply... Yes, he is listed in my I-129F and pretty much we have all the documents except for the DS-160...

Just to clarify.. do we need to pass all these documents to USCIS together with my marriage certificate or just have my son go to the medical examination and embassy interview cause I already have the USCIS number... or my son's case number will be different?

Please advise and will greatly appreciate..

Bests, Joy

Hi Greenbaum,

Many thanks for your reply... Yes, he is listed in my I-129F and pretty much we have all the documents except for the DS-160...

Just to clarify.. do we need to pass all these documents to USCIS together with my marriage certificate or just have my son go to the medical examination and embassy interview cause I already have the USCIS number... or my son's case number will be different?

Please advise and will greatly appreciate..

Bests, Joy

Do you have the I-797C from USCIS "Notice of Action" for your son?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Do you have the I-797C from USCIS "Notice of Action" for your son?

I received my own I-797C not his. I have not passed any papers of my son to USCIS.

Edited by Ligaya10

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
This just might be the strangest here, but I came to the USA just a month before I turned 13 years old. I came in with the K-2 visa that expired 3 months after landing into the country with my mother who's the K-1, of course..just her and I. Now, for some reasons, they--my mother and my stepfather (who my mother married to within that first 90 days on entering) never did apply for to have permanent residency and adjustment status... I never wondered about this kind of things because I was also able to attend the community college in our town. She did receive a social security card and number along with her marriage license, I remember (which is only authorized for work), but I didn't and I just didn't thjnk I needed one. So, now I am in my 22 years without legal status.

My parents, for some reason didn't and apparently still will not apply for my mother and I to have our greencards. So I went to ask help from the church I was attending since moving in here into my stepdad's home and they funded for my filing for a greencard and a temporary work permit (2013), I received my work permit which I received only a few months later (I also acquired my SSN shortly after) after sending in my application for the greencard but this past summer (July, 2014), I had my interview to which I was denied for permanent residency/greencard. And my work permit just expired back in October 2014 and now once again, I am out of work. So, since July, my adjustment of status was admin closed for one year.

There is no communication between my parents and I because of all of this and I, am lost for independence. Although I have tried convincing them that the church that funded for my application, would also fund my mother's. So I just feel stuck but am now starting on DACA. Obviously, there isn't any cooperation with my parents about the matter.

Also, I would like to bring about the fact that I was also charged with battery/strike (misdemeanour) after trying to defend myself from my stepfather after a misunderstanding that he's tried to have with me. But all of that was dropped and I then received a Noelle Prosequi/No Bill.

I am a gay male who's been living here for over 9 years. I was told that if I marry a USC, that I could [independently] file for permanent residency basing on marriage. Is this true? Please, share with me your thoughts, opinions and advise! Attached are all the applications I filled up, along with my stepfather (through my pastor then).

post-195105-0-14442300-1429716412_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the posting world in VJ but have gathered some great info from all the fellow members of this forum. My wife "R" came on a K-1 that I filed for her back in August of last year and included her then 4 year old daughter on the I-129F application. They were approved for a K-1 and K-2 visa in late January of this current year and we have tied our lives together as of earlier this month (4/11/15). I recently filed (4/23/15) both of their applications for AOS (I-485), EAD (I-765), and AP (I-131) and included the I-864 affidavit of support in both packages (copy for K-2). We also seen a civil surgeon to complete (pages 1 & 5) of the I-693 form and included it in the AOS packet.

This post has been very helpful throughout the process of AOS for my now wife and step daughter that recently turned 5.

I would like to express my appreciation for this topic and all of the helpful information that has been posted which has made this journey a positive learning experience since day one! :)

Thank you,

Gera

K-1

August 1, 2014: I-129F packet sent (USPS Priority mail)

August 5, 2014: NOA1 received (email/text)

August 9, 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received/Alien Registration Number changed

October 3, 2014: RFE notice received (email/text)

October 9, 2014: RFE hardcopy received (General question missed on I-129F part 3) *Oops

October 10, 2014: RFE response inquiry sent (USPS Priority mail)

October 15, 2014: RFE response review (USCIS)

October 21, 2014: NOA2 I-129F was approved (email/text)

October 28, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received

November 13, 2014: NVC received and case number assigned

November 25, 2014: NVChard copy received (case was forwarded to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate)

November 30, 2014: Filled out forms DS-160 online for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

December 3, 2014: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate received case

December 18, 2014: NOA3 hardcopy received from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate

December 22, 2014: Paid visa fees online and scheduled ASC Biometrics + Interview

January 20, 2015: Biometrics for fiancé in Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico

January 22, 2015: Medical exam at Clinica Medica Internacional (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 26, 2015: Picked up medical results for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

January 27, 2015: Interview APPROVED!!! (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 30, 2015: CEAC status "Issued"

January 31, 2015: DHL tracking number received via email

February 3, 2015: Passports ready for pickup via email/DHL tracking (DHL Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - Lopez Mateos) POE El Paso, TX

April 11, 2015: MARRIED 

AOS

April 23, 2015: AOS/EAD/AP packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

May 5, 2015: NOA1 received (email/text)

May 9, 2015: NOA1 hardcopies received (6) - Dated "4/28/15"

May 16, 2015: Biometrics appointment letter received

May 18, 2015: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

July 10, 2015: EAD/AP approved (K-1/K-2)

August 25, 2015: AOS interview (K-1/K-2) Fresno, CA "APPROVED" 

September 4, 2015: Green Card received

ROC

May 26, 2017: ROC packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

June 3, 2017: NOA1 received 

June 17, 2017: Biometrics appointment letter received

June 20, 2017: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am Sandy a permanent resident here in the US, I have a few questions to ask but first just to make things clearer, I'd like to tell my story first October of 2014. My husband, my son who is 11 years old and me went for a drive, on our way home we stop in an area close to tacoma just to get out from the car and look for a rest room. I left my purse in the car floor, the item i have in my purse is my cellphone, wallet, including mine and my son's green card just to make the story short I just mention the items in my purse that is really important to me . When we get back to the car, our passenger window is broken and my purse was gone. I lost my greencard and my son's greencard. In december of 2015 we filed a replacement for our greencard, we sent in two application and payment one is for me and one is for my son. Just a week after that, we get notices that they got our application and then few weeks after we got a notice for biometric appointment, and finally in the middle of january 2015 we went to have our biometric taken. When we were there I ask what will be the next steps after the biometric, and she told me we are good to go and we will just be waiting for a notices in the mail about the status of both applications or we can check it online using our receipt number. I've been waiting for a notice from USCIS in the mail and checking online at the same time...then finally first week of may I got a notice from USCIS saying my application was being approved and they will mail my card in the addres i wrote down in my application. I was happy to get a notice but at the same time I was wondering because I never hear anything about my son's application, I got the notice only for myself and nothing for my son, and then just less than 2 weeks I got my card. And now I am a little worried because I dont like the feeling of why i never hear anything from them about my son's application...I keep checking online and it's still the same.... My son's status online says.... On December 18, 2014, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card , Receipt Number ###########. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address. It was never change, its the same before we went to our biometric. I am a little bit worried about this, Is anyone here experienced the same as I am experiencing rightnow? I will appreciate any reply I will get regarding this...Thank you and GOD BLESS!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

I think our situation is fairly straightforward but since we are

1) a little older and 2) my fiancé and her 19 year old son are not needing any of the K1 or K2s to remain in the country

...but simply wish to follow the recommended fiancé process for streamlined permanent residency...

would like a few answers--thanks in advance:.

My fiancé is 50 years old; she is a physician with her own practice in Brazil. We met four years ago but got serious two years ago; were engaged last September. She has a tourist visa for the US and since I work very frequently in Brazil, has no need to remain in the US more than 90 days at a time or more than 180 days a year; in fact, her practice requires that she only be gone no more than 60 days at a time. Obviously, as we get (even more) older, we plan to draw down her practice; but with he large family in Brazil, we will surely make 6 or 7 trips there per year and will probably reside there for potentially 4-6 month.

The point is, the whole K1 process seems to be geared toward people who need it to stay...we need it simply to get married in the states and follow the recommended process for permanent residency/green card.

Questions # 1, 2, 3: if we apply and get the K1 issued, then go to the states and get married...is she "held hostage" until the green card arrives? I know that she can get approval for travel... But are these approved easily and fast? And can she stay in Brazil (working her practice) perhaps as long as it takes to receive the (conditional) green card?

Question #4: I have heard that some people "exist" on the K1 and don't apply for AOS until two years after the marriage in order to avoid a conditional status; but this would mean remaining in the US for 2 years ...correct?

Question #5' etc...:her son is 19 and is planning on attending college in Brazil (but that could change...); but, since he can apply for a K2, we were going to go ahead and include him on the I-129F. All I have read says that we can then, after marriage, apply for AOS for him with his mom as sponsor; but while his application is pending, can he remain in the US? Or...conversely, is he allowed to return to Brazil if he desires? But in conflict with that guidance, in some advice columns it says he MUST return to Brazil before the 90 day point. Once the AOS is approved, I understand we can then apply for removal of conditions...but then I read that since he is over 18, he actually needs ME to apply as sponsor on a I-130?

So...if this is true, what is the advantage of a K2 for an over-18 if we still need to apply for a I-130? If we didn't include him on the K2, couldn't I still send in a I-130, even a few years from now? Did I get this right? If so, it seems the only advantage for an over-18 on the K2 is to allow him to basically attend the wedding but then he has to leave and I file another immigration form for another type of visa...and the K2 did nothing? A little confused over this...

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

UPDATE: for K2 you need to fill out completed NEW I-864 dated 7/31/2017

I followed the directions posted here and they did NOT accept the K-1's I-864...got rfe.. The form changed in Aug when I sent in the paperwork and the government must have got confused with themselves (expected) and even though they state on their own website they will accept the old version until 10/6/2015 - it's a lie, they sent the rfe anyway and state in the rfe the 7/31/2017 needs to be filled out.. I love the USA but hate our bureaucratic hypocritical red-tape government, nobody there seems to have a brain - they are all robots.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.