SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for your replies.

Well, we only had few days to file for the AOS. We were advised not to file the AOS by the USCIS local office since they want to get more information on what is the best way for adjusting my son's status. I understand that the AOS should be filed before the K2 turns 21 so his age will be "frozen". After that, we cant file I-485 for my son anymore.

Aaand, after 2 long weeks of no response from USCIS mainland, we were advised to file for my AOS first then I should do concurrent filing for my son after I recieve my green card.

This is stressing me out big time.

Your understanding is incorrect here. There is no any other "the best way " for adjusting your son's status. He entered the country as a K2 visa holder, so this is the only way for him to file AOS.

Your son's age has already been "frozen", at the moment of his admission in the United States. 20 years. You should've filed son's AOS along with K1's AOS. So just do it now, ASAP.

Edited by ToddB

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Não é sobre quando ele campo. Embora seja mencionado. É sobre o momento da admissão do estrangeiro para os Estados Unidos, que foi escolhido como a data adequada para determinar a elegibilidade para o ajuste.

K2 de seu filho foi emitido, ele entrou para os EUA quando ele ainda era 20. Ele conheceu a definição de um "filho menor de sua mãe alien" e satisfez os requisitos de elegibilidade de visto e disponibilidade. Período.

É claro que é tudo depende de você - para apresentar o seu AOS agora, ou colocá-lo "em espera", aguardando resposta possível "milagre" do escritório de campo USCIS ...

Quando seu visto K2 está expirado, ele estará fora de qualquer status aqui .. Sem AOS pendente, sem número de segurança EAD e social, bem, então - NO trabalho ou estudar ... NADA. Illigal. E vai ser completamente culpa sua, não por causa de sua idade ...

Eu tive a mesma situação. A única diferença é o meu filho chegou 3 meses mais tarde do que eu. Nós apresentou sua AOS separadamente. Mais tarde, seu caso foi anexado ao meu e que obteve aprovação no mesmo dia. Recebemos nossos cartões verdes também no mesmo dia.

visto K2 do seu filho ainda é válido. Basta apresentar AOS o mais rápido possível, e ele será salvar.

Ksenia_O, Please tell me you did adjustment alone or need a lawyer because of the age of your child? I have a similar situation

AOS --
04/02/2016 - sent AOS package (AOS,EAD,AP)
04/04/2016 - received at USCIS Chicago
04/19/2016 - money order cashed
04/22/2016 - hard copy NOA received by mail

04/28/2016- received Biometrics Appointment Latter

05/12/2016- Biometrics 8:00 am Atlanta

07/05/2016- Approval notice Case type I485

07/09/2016- Received letter by mail

07/11/2016- Received green card by mail ( my green card in hand, so so so happy)

Have faith in God. "But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind." James 1: 6

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ksenia_O, Please tell me you did adjustment alone or need a lawyer because of the age of your child? I have a similar situation

I did my son's AOS paperwork without a lawyer.

How old is your child (K2)? And when did the child enter the US?

Timeline

Eu fiz a papelada AOS do meu filho sem um advogado.

Quantos anos tem o seu filho (K2)? E quando a criança entrar os EUA?

Thanks

It will come march 20 and turned 21 on april 19

I'm not have a lawyer.

Edited by Clauwick
AOS --

07/11/2016- Received green card by mail ( my green card in hand, so so so happy)

Have faith in God. "But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind." James 1: 6

Timeline

So, a K2 is entering the US before he (she) turns 21, right?

Your child should be fine. Just file AOS as soon as possible after K2's arrival. I also included my Marriage Certificate and copy of NOA2 for I-129f in son's AOS package.

There is a difference in getting a social security number, between a K1 and a K2. A K2 is unable to get a SSN without Employment Authorization, so you should file K2's AOS along with I-765.

Timeline

Your child should be fine. Just file AOS as soon as possible after K2's arrival. I also included my Marriage Certificate and copy of NOA2 for I-129f in son's AOS package.

There is a difference in getting a social security number, between a K1 and a K2. A K2 is unable to get a SSN without Employment Authorization, so you should file K2's AOS along with I-765.

Ksenia_O, I may be changing a bit the subject, but I have a big question and maybe you can guide me. I did my medical exams in my country on 16 March 2015. What do you think about I send the documentation to the AOS day March 22, 2016, my daughter arrives in the US March 20, I think about leaving all paperwork ready and when it arrives send it all together, oh my concern that my medical examination has expired agree? The you think is better to do?

I appreciate your help

AOS --

Timeline

Ksenia_O, I may be changing a bit the subject, but I have a big question and maybe you can guide me. I did my medical exams in my country on 16 March 2015. What do you think about I send the documentation to the AOS day March 22, 2016, my daughter arrives in the US March 20, I think about leaving all paperwork ready and when it arrives send it all together, oh my concern that my medical examination has expired agree? The you think is better to do?

I appreciate your help

Did your daughter have her medical at the same day?.. Sorry, but it looks like you will need to re-do medical, for both - K1 and K2. But I wouldn't take that risk anyway - to submit both AOS's, when the medical almost expired or too close to its expiration date.. So, probably you should start calling around, trying to find a civil surgeon and make an appointment on March 21-22 or so..

Make sure they do everything in one place - very often the cheapest ones do only medical paperwork, but they don't have any lab to do tests. In this case you will be sent somewhere else and pay anyway for lab tests.

I hope you and daughter have the forms DS-3025 (vaccination record)..??? You will need this for new medical.

It can take about 2-3 weeks to re-do medical. It depends on TB tests - a lot of clinics now take a QUANTIFERON TB test and it can take about 10 days to get results.

Besides, you, probably wouldn't be able to send the AOS' on March, 22 anyway - the I-94 is a part of the AOS package and I'm not sure K2's I-94 will be available on that day. It might be, but sometimes it takes about weak or two to get the form online.

Anyway, I agree, it would be really great just to wait on K2 arrival and send her AOS along with K1's AOS, in one package!

Once again, K2's age will be frozen at the moment of her admission in the US. 20 years old. So, she is safe. Of course, it doesn't mean you can relax, not filing K2's AOS ASAP :) But I see you are trying to do everything possible in advance, which is really great! If you re-do both medical right after K2's arrival, you will be able to submit their AOS' by the beginning of April.

Focus now on the documents you already have and can sort out. Then, after K2's arrival, you can finish paperwork for K2, while waiting on new medical. And when medical is in hands, just double check before sending everything in ;)

You will be fine :) Good luck!!!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline

Did your daughter have her medical at the same day?.. Sorry, but it looks like you will need to re-do medical, for both - K1 and K2. But I wouldn't take that risk anyway - to submit both AOS's, when the medical almost expired or too close to its expiration date.. So, probably you should start calling around, trying to find a civil surgeon and make an appointment on March 21-22 or so..

Make sure they do everything in one place - very often the cheapest ones do only medical paperwork, but they don't have any lab to do tests. In this case you will be sent somewhere else and pay anyway for lab tests.

I hope you and daughter have the forms DS-3025 (vaccination record)..??? You will need this for new medical.

It can take about 2-3 weeks to re-do medical. It depends on TB tests - a lot of clinics now take a QUANTIFERON TB test and it can take about 10 days to get results.

Besides, you, probably wouldn't be able to send the AOS' on March, 22 anyway - the I-94 is a part of the AOS package and I'm not sure K2's I-94 will be available on that day. It might be, but sometimes it takes about weak or two to get the form online.

Anyway, I agree, it would be really great just to wait on K2 arrival and send her AOS along with K1's AOS, in one package!

Once again, K2's age will be frozen at the moment of her admission in the US. 20 years old. So, she is safe. Of course, it doesn't mean you can relax, not filing K2's AOS ASAP :) But I see you are trying to do everything possible in advance, which is really great! If you re-do both medical right after K2's arrival, you will be able to submit their AOS' by the beginning of April.

Focus now on the documents you already have and can sort out. Then, after K2's arrival, you can finish paperwork for K2, while waiting on new medical. And when medical is in hands, just double check before sending everything in ;)

You will be fine :) Good luck!!!

Ksenia_O, thank you for all guidance. I'll let you know when send the AOS

Thanks very much

God bless you

AOS --

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Ksenia_O, I'm almost ready to send documentation, can you please tell me if the number of k-2 alien is the same k-1, I can use the same number of alien to the documentation of my k-2? Need I mention the k-2 package on my cover Latter or just make the cover for the package Latter k-2? Please if you can answer me I will thank.

AOS --

Timeline

Ksenia_O, I'm almost ready to send documentation, can you please tell me if the number of k-2 alien is the same k-1, I can use the same number of alien to the documentation of my k-2? Need I mention the k-2 package on my cover Latter or just make the cover for the package Latter k-2? Please if you can answer me I will thank.

No, you CANNOT use a K1's Alien number for K2. The number is unique for each Alien.

The difference is that a K1 gets his/her Alien number along with a I-129F aproval. But K2 doesn't have any number at this stage. It will be given later, after submitting the AOS/EAD/AP.

You will see a K2's Alien Number on the NOA1 for K2's AOS. It will be the first time when Alien number shows up for K2 :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline

You know, I filed my son's AOS separately, so it was just K2's package and it had its own Cover Letter.

In your case, I would make two packages anyway. Just in one "envelope" ;) Once the envelope is at the service center, they take the whole thing apart and reorder it anyway. They still will keep K1 and K2 together, but each will have its own case number.

So, I believe, each package should have its own Cover Letter. One for K1 package and another one for K2.

And on the envelop I would mention that there are K1's and K2's AOS/EAD/AP there.

Timeline

You know, I filed my son's AOS separately, so it was just K2's package and it had its own Cover Letter.

In your case, I would make two packages anyway. Just in one "envelope" ;) Once the envelope is at the service center, they take the whole thing apart and reorder it anyway. They still will keep K1 and K2 together, but each will have its own case number.

So, I believe, each package should have its own Cover Letter. One for K1 package and another one for K2.

And on the envelop I would mention that there are K1's and K2's AOS/EAD/AP there.

Ksenia_O, now I understand. Thank you for your help.

Thanks so much

AOS --

Timeline

Ksenia_O, now I understand. Thank you for your help.

Thanks so much

You are very welcome!

Fingers crossed, for your K1&K2's AOS, and good luck!!! :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline

You are very welcome!

Fingers cross, for your K1&K2's AOS, and good luck!!! :)

Thank so much

Goog bless you

AOS --

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

I'm starting the AOS paperwork and saw that you have to include the biometrics.

I always assumed this was something they scheduled after you file but I may be mistaken? How to I organize this ?

You are right - a biometric appointment will be scheduled AFTER you submit your AOS package :)

Usually USCIS mails a biometric "invitation" within a month after receiving your paperwork.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.