meaner

Lots of options. Need help.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for coming together in this community. The information and opinions compiled here are simply invaluable to anyone seeking some light in the dark that is immigration. I'm sure my fiancee and I will be grateful for any responses we receive in this matter.

I'm a US citizen residing in the United States. I am in the armed forces and possess a top secret clearance. My fiancee is a Scottish (UK) citizen currently residing in Britain and attending school. We are trying to weigh our options. We are, of course, as of yet unmarried. The option is, however, open to us. Our situation is that we would like to be together, like anyone else here as soon as possible, but using the method best tailored to our circumstances:

1) Submit a I-129F for K1 this month.

OR get married in Scotland (UK) in February

2) Submit a I-130 for Consular Processing.

3) Submit a I-130/I-129F for K3 immediately after marriage in February.

Can anyone offer input on what option here might be best for us, or if there are any other options available to us? What are the realities of these options? Upon our marriage, we will begin receiving a significant housing and living allowance through my military service. For this reason, marriage a bit earlier in the process is an option and could potentially make things easier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for coming together in this community. The information and opinions compiled here are simply invaluable to anyone seeking some light in the dark that is immigration. I'm sure my fiancee and I will be grateful for any responses we receive in this matter.

I'm a US citizen residing in the United States. I am in the armed forces and possess a top secret clearance. My fiancee is a Scottish (UK) citizen currently residing in Britain and attending school. We are trying to weigh our options. We are, of course, as of yet unmarried. The option is, however, open to us. Our situation is that we would like to be together, like anyone else here as soon as possible, but using the method best tailored to our circumstances:

Can anyone offer input on what option here might be best for us, or if there are any other options available to us? What are the realities of these options? Upon our marriage, we will begin receiving a significant housing and living allowance through my military service. For this reason, marriage a bit earlier in the process is an option and could potentially make things easier.

Mm, there's not a huge difference in the two options, and you're correct that those are the two best options. If you get married first, she'll be able to work sooner, but that doesn't sound like an important component for you. The K1 fiance visa is a bit quicker. Choose what seems simplest--for me, it was the K1 because I couldn't afford to go marry and all that--needed to set up shop and establish myself while sponsoring my SO. Then the marriage can happen as soon as you want; you're all good to marry the same day she arrives, if you like.

My take is that the main advantage of the CR is immediate eligibility to work. Hope that helps a little. Times are slowing down but my K1 was finished in 4 months, so there's that.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1- is fastest

2- is not open to you unless you live in the UK for 6 months.

3- The K3 is dead, you'd be applying for the CR-1. A good option as your wife would get an immediate greencard upon immigration, and cheaper than the K1 process. A potential issue is that I am not sure you can "just get married" in the UK, you may need a visa for that, even if not staying, and/ or stay a while; look into it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Nope, can t do the IR1 on Direct Consular if you haven t lived in the UK for minimum 6 months.. But, if you are in the army, you can always ask for expedite, and your case will be done faster.

And i don t think you need a visa to get married in scotland, my american wife didn t need one to marry me in france.

NVC:

Case number assigned : 10/12/2010

IIN received: 10/21/2010

paid AOS bill: 10/22/2010

Sent AOS: 10/25/2010

paid IV bill: 10/28/2010

Received confirmation COA: 10/28/2010

Sent IV+DS230: 10/29/2010

AOS entered in the system: 11/08/2010

IV entered in the system: 11/12/2010

Stupid RFE on birth certificate: 11/24/2010

Send German birth certificate : 11/26/2010

German birth certificate received by NVC : 11/29/2010

RFE entered in the system : 12/07/2010

SIF: 12/15/2010

Case complete: 12/16/2010

Holiday in Martinique with my wonderful wife : 12/31/2010

Interview : 02/22/2011

Visa in hand : 02/28/2011

POE DALLAS : 03/01/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Agree with the others about not being able to do the direct consular filing. Your clearance doesn't make any difference in processing times.( Being married to a foreign national may affect your clearance make sure you keep your security officer up to date on your plans ASAP ) Are you potentially going to be deployed ? That would qualify you for an expedite.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

What I think was not made clear in your other replies is you can marry in the UK and file only the I-130 form with USCIS to get the CR1 visa.

It is not "consular" filing which means you apply directly to London embassy because you, the USC, live in the UK presently.

With a CR1 visa, she will arrive in the US already approved for a social security card, work authorization,and a green card. Those things are supposed to arrive within weeks.

With a K1 after she arrives, you will have to marry, get a marriage certificate, see a civil surgeon for an I-693, file applications for Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advance Parole, She can not leave the US until she gets AP or a green card. She can not work or get a US driver's license until getting the EAD card or greencard. But a K1 might get her here a month or two faster.

Here's some info on how to marry in the UK. http://www.visajourn...rying_in_the_UK

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just don't forget to notify the chain of command before you get married to a foreign national - may affect clearance if you don't tell anyone. We had to go through the same thing, my husband has the same clearance as you.

If possible, get your fiancee to US for a short vacation and get married here and then follow the CR-1 process - cheaper and better than K-1.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just don't forget to notify the chain of command before you get married to a foreign national - may affect clearance if you don't tell anyone. We had to go through the same thing, my husband has the same clearance as you.

If possible, get your fiancee to US for a short vacation and get married here and then follow the CR-1 process - cheaper and better than K-1.

It WILL affect his clearance, my friends husband LOST his clearance for 2-3 months because he did not notify them he was marrying a non US citizen. He will have to notify and fill out many forms and they will do many checks.

My husband has the same and also had to fill out many many forms before we got married and while we were dating. Tho he never had his clearance removed because he already notified them.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

It WILL affect his clearance, my friends husband LOST his clearance for 2-3 months because he did not notify them he was marrying a non US citizen. He will have to notify and fill out many forms and they will do many checks.

My husband has the same and also had to fill out many many forms before we got married and while we were dating. Tho he never had his clearance removed because he already notified them.

We are looking at her coming to the US on VWP, marrying, and then her returning to the UK, like the poster above suggests. This way we can collect OHA and have more financial resources to work with while handling her CR1 and moving her to the US. It should be within the realm of legality, as long as she does not stay in the US (which she couldn't anyway, she has college).

I'd appreciate further input, and anything concerning the clearance is helpful. I have an SCI, and fully intend to notify my chain.

We are looking at her coming to the US on VWP, marrying, and then her returning to the UK, like the poster above suggests. This way we can collect OHA and have more financial resources to work with while handling her CR1 and moving her to the US. It should be within the realm of legality, as long as she does not stay in the US (which she couldn't anyway, she has college).

I'd appreciate further input, and anything concerning the clearance is helpful. I have an SCI, and fully intend to notify my chain.

Thank you everyone for your help. This is pretty stressful stuff. Props to all who have survived it before us.

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your help. This is pretty stressful stuff. Props to all who have survived it before us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Talk to your security clearence people , having a spouse in a foreign country may be worse than a girlfriend. ( level of relationship )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have a foreign girl friend. That qualifies as frequent contact with a foreign national, and it should be reported. Follow your chain of command, and report first to your immediate supervisor. Be sure to tell them about your intentions to marry. You may be interviewed about your relationship by your unit security manager. Most people don't lose their security clearance for having frequent contact with foreigners, but many people lose their clearance for failing to report it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I was an English student engaged to an American with secret clearance. He is in the ANG though, not active military.

We discounted the K1 process as it costs twice as much, and involves two processes rather than one. It also seemed to require slightly more evidence of a bona fide relationship, and I didn't want to have to include copies of our personal communications. The CR1 just seemed easier, all around.

We originally considered marrying in the UK, but that has residence requirements (like, a week or two or whatever it is, but that still was time my fiance couldn't take off work) plus a visa was required. (Maybe registrars might sometimes marry people who are just there as a visitor? But officially a visa is required to marry.) And you have to do the whole banns thing etcetc... Besides, I didn't want a big wedding and the main reason we even considered marrying in the UK was so we could have a big wedding before I moved away... We ended up marrying in the US and then filing I-130 for the CR1.

Time wise, there isn't much difference between the two options. The K1 takes longer from the beginning until receipt of the green card, but is generally quicker from beginning until entry into the US. It's not all that much quicker though, and there is always variation. I sent off the I-130 in August 2009 and right then the K1 was taking a little longer whereas the I-130s were being processed very quickly. So in my case it was lucky I went the route I did. All I'm saying is that there is no guarantee how long it will take, so don't bank too much on that. Of course, K1 will be quicker than the CR1 if you intend on waiting until February for the latter.

In our case, we did want to get married as soon as possible. There are some people who want to be together from the time they are married, so they choose the K1 so that they don't have to be apart after marriage. In your case a prime consideration will be when your fiancee is going to finish school. If you have a set date before which she cannot move, then time isn't such a big issue.

Are you certain that you will start receiving housing/living allowance once you marry? Even if they know your wife is off abroad somewhere? Some things are dependent on her having a green card and/or SSN and other things aren't. They put me in DEERS but couldn't give me an ID or insurance until later.

Oh, and it is possible that your clearance will speed the process up a tiny teeny weeny bit :B They do background checks on the applicant and so, if you have already been checked out then that should be a very quick thing with no likelihood of any delays :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.