Arvin8

Fiancee has owes 200k on Credit Card. Help!!!

42 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My fiancee owes 200k on her Credit Card and hasn't paid in 6 months. Will this affect our fiance visa?

As stated previously, it should not affect the consulate/USG from giving her a visa.

I'm uncertain if they do any type of check to be sure she wont skip the country without making arrangements to pay her obligation. I'd suggest contacting the creditor about making arraignments to start paying at least the minimum monthly obligation while at the same time stopping all use of said credit card. This is only because I'm really big on personal accountability when it comes to financial obligations.

Of course, if she's allowed to leave the country without paying and it doesn't bother you or her, then more power to you. Just be certain they wont be looking for her if she ever decides to return, which is very likely if she ever wants to visit family, etc.

George

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

think twice prior you marry that person who owns 200K :wow:

You mean owe, right? I wish my wife owned 200k (name the currency so long as it trades).

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Why would I think twice? Come on now. It's only $4,000 converted.

With all due respect, you brought this kind of judgmental THINKING on yourself by not making it clear which currency the 200k was referring to. Nevertheless, the judgmental comments are out of line. We're all adults here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why would I think twice? Come on now. It's only $4,000 converted.

At 44 pesos per dollar it's about $4,500, which is a lot for a Filipina. But it's the "hasn't paid in six months" part that would have me concerned.

There has to be a backstory to this, and you've been pretty sketchy, like for example when it was 200,000 without designating the currency.

So for example, if she just revealed this to you I would say it is a rather significant omission. But I don't know that.

It is rather like telling people that you're bleeding, so is this going to be a problem? Well it depends on if you are bleeding because the cops shot you robbing a bank or if you are bleeding because you pricked yourself sewing.

The backstory has some details that would matter to me, were I in your shoes.

Best of luck to you, especially with her pregnancy. Kids are wonderful.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiancee owes 200k on her Credit Card and hasn't paid in 6 months. Will this affect our fiance visa?

"Hasn't paid in 6 months"? I'm not a marriage counselor but ...you might want to know how the debt started and where it started from. Future financials together might be impacted but that's just :ot:

I think even if the equivalent is just 100USD, it might still be a lot back home. It is the financial discipline that matters. If there is a habit of not being responsible with financials, I would worry about the marriage rather than the visa. :ot:

:ot2: You might have to do more research beyond VJ on the impact it would have on her visa... Good luck!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's hard not to be judgmental when it comes to financial responsibilities, starting a marriage life with this hurdle is already a test in itself. Like what everybody else is saying here think twice before you enter into something like this. If $4,000 doesn't bother you then go ahead and pay for it, but the fact that she didn't pay in 6 months is bothersome. It will not probably affect your visa application but make sure that the Phil. government/BOI does not put a hold departure on her. Good luck with your endeavor and hopefully things will work out for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP, if it makes you feel any better, I have $50,000 Canadian dollars of debt from my student loans :)

Yes, it's an investment of 2 degrees but it's also a lot of debt!!

$4,500 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Immediately, yeah.... but hey, that's life. It'll get paid off.

Not judging here (hello, I owe 50K!), but you may want to ask why she hasn't made payments in 6 months - there could be a very reasonable thought process behind it - eg: it was make the loan payment or put food on her table. It happens. Talk to her about it.

Good luck!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OP, if it makes you feel any better, I have $50,000 Canadian dollars of debt from my student loans :)

Yes, it's an investment of 2 degrees but it's also a lot of debt!!

$4,500 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Immediately, yeah.... but hey, that's life. It'll get paid off.

Not judging here (hello, I owe 50K!), but you may want to ask why she hasn't made payments in 6 months - there could be a very reasonable thought process behind it - eg: it was make the loan payment or put food on her table. It happens. Talk to her about it.

Good luck!

Not being judgemental because I really couldn't care less what other people do to themselves, but your comparisons are invalid. I owe MORE than 200,000 US Dollars on a home mortgage that BOTH Alla and I signed. Is it the same? NO!

You owe $50,000 Canadian dollars on student loans which will pay a return on investment for a better job...or at least SHOULD. That better job will BENEFIT you and your husband to be. Is it the same? NO!

$4500 would be about 18 months average income in Ukraine. If my fiancee from Ukraine had the equivilent of 18 months income in CREDIT CARD debt and hadn't paid on it for 6 months she could find another fiance. But that is just me. You do what you want.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not being judgemental because I really couldn't care less what other people do to themselves, but your comparisons are invalid. I owe MORE than 200,000 US Dollars on a home mortgage that BOTH Alla and I signed. Is it the same? NO!

You owe $50,000 Canadian dollars on student loans which will pay a return on investment for a better job...or at least SHOULD. That better job will BENEFIT you and your husband to be. Is it the same? NO!

$4500 would be about 18 months average income in Ukraine. If my fiancee from Ukraine had the equivilent of 18 months income in CREDIT CARD debt and hadn't paid on it for 6 months she could find another fiance. But that is just me. You do what you want.

Good point. With more experience, I will hopefully make in a year close to double what I owe. It's an investment.

I still think the reason it wasn't paid on matters. Anyway, like yourself, I really don't care what the OP does, because it is of no consequence to me. I mean that in a nice way.

Anyway.... good luck to you, OP!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

VJ is full of judgmental comments and almost bullying comments, it is as if the higher people go in their membership here-the more they feel they can be rude that is much more an issue vs. judgmental comments-as you have to make a judgment when deciding how a CO would respond.

To the OP-meaning to most people who don't know that (as some of the "elders" have been spending too much time on here) it means the original poster-

No where in the K1 visa process do they ask about credit to answer your question.

Most Americans are full of debt. I don't have any credit card debt, but with a great amount of schooling and a PhD-I have debt. I'd encourage your fiance to pay it off before they come here, but no where will credit debt be asked in the paperwork for the visa.

Best of Luck!!!

I-129F Sent : 2010-05-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-06-01

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-06-30

NVC Received : 2010-07-01

NVC Left : 2010-07-02

Consulate Received : 2010-07-09

Packet 3 Received : 2010-08-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-08-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-08-10

Interview Date : 2010-11-19

Interview Result: APPROVED!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

VISA in hand 2010-11-29 (due to Thanksgiving)

Flight Reservations 2010-11-29

POE 2010-12-16 YAY WELCOME TO AMERICA!

MARRIED 2011-01-27 Married and happy!

Greetings!

I must say that this girl at the beginning has good job for her to have a high credit line.

very familiar... a friend has the same problem ,his fiance had asked him to pay her credit debt of almost the same amount when he asked advice from my wife, he was told to check the bank or financial institution in the Philippines and told his fiance that he needed that amount statement/reciept and everything just to make sure that she really owe that amount and that before paying he wanted to contact the collector before even considering for payments,(esp after six months it goes to collectors unit). he dicovered that the girl does not even have that amount of credit line. anyways, if you have money to pay its your choice but the only concerning thing there if she is telling you the truth and that if can you live with it without you doubting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Debt is debt. I owe more than that in credit card debt in Australia (where income is much higher than here in the US.. and thus bills) because I lost my job for 3-4 months and needed to pay bills BUT I was completely open with my then boyfriend about it. When we got engaged I made sure that I told him I never expected him to pay it, I always pay the monthly amount (and then some) and I've only once not paid my monthly instalment (thought I'd paid that month but didn't). I saved some money before I left Aus to make sure i could continue paying the monthly fee until I got a job here in the US.

In an ideal world i could pay off the debt. When I win the lottery I will :P but in the meantime I slowly chip away at it.

The difference between your fiancee and myself, I pay my debt. it's a concern when your fiancee doesn't deem paying her debts as important, shows a certain character flaw... but who knows, there could be extenuating circumstances. I think other posters while not voicing it well, were concerned for you and your prospective marriage if your fiancee's lack of concern for financial matters were to seep into your marriage.. financial disagreements being one of the main reasons for divorce.

To answer your direct qn, it shouldn't impact her K1 at all.

I do agree with the PP though (previous poster) in that if you're considering paying the debt, or she's asked you to, first ensure she actually owes that amount, confirm the lending institution is real, and pay it directly to them, not her. I also find it interesting that she owes that much money when the Philippines, to my understanding, doesn't have the best income.. how could she possibly rack up that much debt and be permitted to? US$4500 isn't a drastic amount of money, but when you earn $50 a month (for example) that is a ####### load of debt. Why would she have run up that much debt? Is it really HER debt or is it someone else's (like her family) and did they wrack up this debt when they realised she was going to marry a "rich American"? These are questions for you to know the answers to, not me asking you.

I'm also leaning towards believing that you too realise this is a lot of debt.. esp for someone from the Philippines. You needn't have mentioned the amount in order to get your question answered. You should have mentioned the currency if you were worried about the amount specifically, leading me to believe that you are either a troll, or the amount of debt freaked you out and you are seeking reassurance that she's a good girl (having just found out about it). If it was just the visa you were worried about I doubt you'd have mentioned the amount

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.