EasternDE

AOS - Package arrangement - Confused after Infopass

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Ok so I'm a K1 who wants file for AoS.

Just after I arrived in the USA, we scheduled an infopass because of a I-94 issue, but that's not the topic here.

During this Infopass, the USCIS officer offered us to review our AOS package once we have finalized it, before we send it.

Delaware USCIS office is *tiny*, basically it's one desk and one agent period.

So we had another Infopass scheduled today so the agent could review our AoS package.

I have made a nice package according to VJ guidelines.

Basically 3 separated packages, one for AoS, one for EAD and one for AP, each had it own cover letter and all documents.

The USCIS officer totally changed it, making one single package and taking out cover letters and anything that would be in duplicate and even saying I just need two photos.

Now well, it's a small package...

To my understanding, it could be different agents who will review my applications and so for each application I provided all requested documents even though it's sometimes already included with one or the other application. (Hopefully this is clear...)

During the meeting, my husband was like "See! See, it's more simple like that, you made it so much a big deal!" "She is the USCIS officer, I trust her better than your website (VJ)!" -_-

Now I want to arrange my package like it was before we went...

What do you think guys...?

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

re-arrange it , as you had it before.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

What Darnell said. :thumbs:

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Unfortunately the agent is wrong and right. It's kind of like taking your Will paperwork to a law firm and letting anyone in the office read it and check it without checking if they're a secretary, cleaner or lawyer. They might know SOMETHING, but it's unlikely it's their area of expertise. Just like you wouldn't see a family lawyer about your taxes, you wouldn't see someone who just does interviews about what the packets require... they just know what questions to ask, they don't check the paperwork themselves, their minions do. So while they might know what's needed, they don't see the checklists etc they just get the paperwork once it's been filed and sorted.

The reason there are duplicates of forms etc is because once the forms arrive at Chicago the packets will be separated from each other. Then you're looking at a situation where they don't have a copy of a form they need and you end up with RFE's. If it wasn't needed why would the instructions say it was?

There's an AOS thread in my signature. I read EVERY word of the instructions. If they don't want my duplicate forms let them shred them. They don't want more photos, let them throw them out. But I won't risk an RFE when the instructions tell me what to do and I ignore it based on the advise of a CO who sees me for interview or processes the AOS .. they don't do the EAD or AP stuff.

Long story short. Do it the way YOU feel comfortable doing it. I followed my AOS list (in the thread my sig) and I was approved without interview and without RFE's.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Well, this officer is "old school", she's like 50+ and she told me that she used to process those packages herself before "But now, you know, they want everything done at those service centers!".

But of course, it's way different if for sure one only person reviews the package.

Photos' you need 6, my Lawyer made sure to stress it to me. As others have said, go with your gut on this, rearrange your paperwork if you need and want to.

Wishing you all the best for the future :)

Listen, I don't claim to know more than the folks who have already replied on this ...... But I have researched my own application to reallize you were given a curve ball ...... Niot on purpose, of that I'm sure. But sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I think that is what has happened with the officer you saw.

If I was in the same situation, I would go with my original full and complete package.

My wife and I had a pre- submittal Mantra. "if in doubt, send it out"

What they going to do " send you a RFE for having two cover letters. not likely.

Let your instinct kick in, but work through this with your partner. Too much speculation with your other half, can turn argumentative easily. We almost feel into that trap ourselves ..... Stay together on this ..... This will be the first hoop of many to jump through, make it together.

Our best best regards

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Phoenix AZ

Date Filed : 2010-04-21

NOA Date : 2010-04-26

RFE(s) : None yet - thankfully, fingers and toes crossed

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-09 walk in 15 days prior.

Interview Date : 2010-07-26

Approved Date: 2010-07-26

Card Received: 2010-08-06

Employment Authorization

Date Filed : 2010-04- 21

NOA Date : 2010-04-26

Approved Date : 2010-07-26

Total process from us mailing AOS paperwork to Green Card in hand was 110 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ultimately we can only tell you what worked for us.

I arranged my husband's AOS packet as closely to the information given here as possible and it went smoothly. It was transferred to CSC for processing and we didn't even have to do an interview to get the 2 yr greencard. We sent it in in March and had approval in June, card in hand in early July.

On the other hand, we had an infopass interview regarding an I-94 issue (he was never given one when he arrived at LAX) and the person at the infopass was clueless. Literally clueless, she had to call around to figure out what to do and ended up giving us wrong and what would have been expensive information anyways. Thankfully someone here at VJ gave us the RIGHT info and we got a new and free I-94 by simply going to the nearest border point.

Don't listen to the probably well meaning woman at infopass who decimated your package. Put it back together the way the directions here suggest. The worst that can happen is they discard any extra information.

Good luck and congratulations on your marriage

Sera

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Ok this might be a little off topic but WHY 3 packages? I've read through Vanessa&Tony's AOS walkthrough and I don't remember seeing a package for each application..I'm getting ready to put mine together and would need some good info please.

Thanks and I say stick to the way you've had it, it sounds like you know what you are doing more than that person.

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Timeline

Ok this might be a little off topic but WHY 3 packages? I've read through Vanessa&Tony's AOS walkthrough and I don't remember seeing a package for each application..I'm getting ready to put mine together and would need some good info please.

Thanks and I say stick to the way you've had it, it sounds like you know what you are doing more than that person.

Well finally, of course, I redid the package my way and it's sent.

It's just one package at the end but with 3 parts, each application with its own documents no matter if the other one asked for it too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well finally, of course, I redid the package my way and it's sent.

It's just one package at the end but with 3 parts, each application with its own documents no matter if the other one asked for it too.

Aha, I see. I guess I need to do some research and find out what forms accompany the EAD and the AP.

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's a personal preference to have three packages. You can put it all in one, but have material for each application differentiated somehow. I put each application and its documentation in a separate envelope and wrote on the envelope what's inside. Then I put all three into a bigger envelope and sent it. No RFEs and Green Card in hand

0vi7t8.png

Ok so I'm a K1 who wants file for AoS.

Just after I arrived in the USA, we scheduled an infopass because of a I-94 issue, but that's not the topic here.

During this Infopass, the USCIS officer offered us to review our AOS package once we have finalized it, before we send it.

Delaware USCIS office is *tiny*, basically it's one desk and one agent period.

So we had another Infopass scheduled today so the agent could review our AoS package.

I have made a nice package according to VJ guidelines.

Basically 3 separated packages, one for AoS, one for EAD and one for AP, each had it own cover letter and all documents.

The USCIS officer totally changed it, making one single package and taking out cover letters and anything that would be in duplicate and even saying I just need two photos.

Now well, it's a small package...

To my understanding, it could be different agents who will review my applications and so for each application I provided all requested documents even though it's sometimes already included with one or the other application. (Hopefully this is clear...)

During the meeting, my husband was like "See! See, it's more simple like that, you made it so much a big deal!" "She is the USCIS officer, I trust her better than your website (VJ)!" -_-

Now I want to arrange my package like it was before we went...

What do you think guys...?

That is exactly how we did our AOS package and no RFE and no Interview. We did not duplicate anything, for EAD or AP. :star:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.