RUSSandRACHEL

Turned down for a bank account

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Also, at Bank of America, they should let you have a conditional credit card. You give them a certain amount of money that they keep in exchange for you to have a credit card. It lasts a year and helps you build credit record. It's a good idea for your future.

NOA1: 8/8/2008

NOA2: 12/30/2008

Interview: 01/04/2009 Passed

POE: 08/2009

Removal of Conditions: filed July 2011

Biometrics: September 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thank you to everyone for your repies! They're so helpful! It does seem really weird that 1, they're doing a credit check for me to put my money in their bank and 2, that they are turning away business. I told Russ today at work and hes really surprised and suggested we try somewhere else. But, I used to work for credit card companies in the UK and know that every time a credit search is conducted, a mark goes on your record. I don't want to be turned down by a load of companies just to get turned down again and again.

Just Bob, I applied online because the monthly fee for checking accounts is waived if you apply on line, and it was Bank of America.

Nich-nick. If we wait to add my name onto Russ' account, we'll have to wait until we're married and then get our marriage certificate back. That doesn't leave u much time left to compile 'proof' for AOS. And, I also tried to get my name on the utilities. One company said ok, but then changed their mind and said I could have 'access' to pay the bills but not have my name actually on them. The other company said a flat no! I don't get these people.

I'm getting a little worried now as I don't know what else we can do. We don't have the money right now to add me onto Russ' health insurance and he doesn't have any credit cards either that my name could be added to.

I added my husband(fiance then)on to my bank account @ TD Bank without any problems. I highly recommend them.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Theres no need for rudeness. I'm very well aware of what a bank is! You sound like you're speaking to someone who doesn't have a clue. I've been working and have had a bank account for many years. I thought everyone's here to help one another. And actually, Russ and I are absolutely rushed off our feet at the moment. We are getting married in 4 days and renovating our house. We have been planning our wedding for over a year so it is a very big deal for us to do it properly. The intention of completing an application online was to save some much needed time and to save money, as I have already explained.

Thanks to everyone else for your helpful replies. I will go in, in person.

I think this is probably a recent thing. I know a lot of banks have tried to reduce the number of checking accounts they're holding because of the new regulations passed this year governing credit cards. That bill reduced the amount they can charge for overdraft fees, and as it turns out they end up LOSING money on all the checking accounts they have. I think you have to pick a different bank, going in person probably won't help.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Theres no need for rudeness. I'm very well aware of what a bank is! You sound like you're speaking to someone who doesn't have a clue. I've been working and have had a bank account for many years. I thought everyone's here to help one another. And actually, Russ and I are absolutely rushed off our feet at the moment. We are getting married in 4 days and renovating our house. We have been planning our wedding for over a year so it is a very big deal for us to do it properly. The intention of completing an application online was to save some much needed time and to save money, as I have already explained.

Thanks to everyone else for your helpful replies. I will go in, in person.

Grats on your wedding! I hope it is everything you wished for! (F)

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you to everyone for your repies! They're so helpful! It does seem really weird that 1, they're doing a credit check for me to put my money in their bank and 2, that they are turning away business. I told Russ today at work and hes really surprised and suggested we try somewhere else. But, I used to work for credit card companies in the UK and know that every time a credit search is conducted, a mark goes on your record. I don't want to be turned down by a load of companies just to get turned down again and again.

Just Bob, I applied online because the monthly fee for checking accounts is waived if you apply on line, and it was Bank of America.

Nich-nick. If we wait to add my name onto Russ' account, we'll have to wait until we're married and then get our marriage certificate back. That doesn't leave u much time left to compile 'proof' for AOS. And, I also tried to get my name on the utilities. One company said ok, but then changed their mind and said I could have 'access' to pay the bills but not have my name actually on them. The other company said a flat no! I don't get these people.

I'm getting a little worried now as I don't know what else we can do. We don't have the money right now to add me onto Russ' health insurance and he doesn't have any credit cards either that my name could be added to.

I think you're confusing something here. Proof for AOS means you have a marriage cert (when coming through on K1)...as noted by someone else. You don't need to be on bills and have joint accounts. 2 yrs from now when you Remove conditions, then yes...you need to offer proof of co-mingled finances etc....

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Let's put this simply (if someone hasn't already):

You just applied and receieved a Social Security #.

Due to this, you will not be in any database as of yet that BoA or any other bank can "check" to see if you are who you say you are. You haven't had time to be.

You tried to apply online, with the bank having no idea how to verify who you were. You didn't show up, so of course they weren't going to give you an account online.

All you need to do is going into a branch with your SS card, your passport/other documents and an opening deposit and this won't be a problem.

It's not that they don't want your money, it's just they need to verify who you are. You are a ghost to them right now as your new information is not going to pop up on a credit report just yet.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

BOA is the worst about this. We opened a joint account at Chase and I added my wife (back in the day) to my account at our credit union as soon as she arrived. They allowed us to do that BEFORE the SS card came in and we just updated the SS information after we got the card.

BOA doesn't want your business - don't give it to them. Best of luck to you.

i don't get it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

BOA is the worst about this. We opened a joint account at Chase and I added my wife (back in the day) to my account at our credit union as soon as she arrived. They allowed us to do that BEFORE the SS card came in and we just updated the SS information after we got the card.

BOA doesn't want your business - don't give it to them. Best of luck to you.

It wasn't BOA not wanting their business. It was the fact that they applied online with a new SS #....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Go to Wells Fargo (Wachovia on eh East Coast). We opened a brand new joint bank account there, although we were already married. They waive the monthly fee as long as you transfer $75 dollars a month to your savings account. I already had a Wells Fargo account opened when I was here on a J1 and it's the same kind of account, only I have to transfer $25 each month, not $75 (in any case you can transfer it back to checking the next day if you need to!). I think WF is very good. I also got a credit card right away, it's secured with $300 and that is also my limit, due to the fact I didn't have any credit. They rejected my application at first, but when I spoke to the lady who opened our joint bank account, she got my application approved right away. In just 4 months and with that card only (and the gas and electric bill) I now have good credit (over 730!) and it's even better than my hubby's ! Hehe :)

Anyways, ss other people here said, go talk to a human being, I'm sure they will not reject you!

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the issue is that as a new immigrant with a ssn that is so recent it is flagged in the system, and the bank has to call social security and do a verification process. at least that is how the bank of america agent explained it to me. I went in right after i got my ssn and my drivers licence. I had no issue with opening checking account, savings account and credit card. I am on my husbands accounts jointly as well. And if you go in person it is free, ours was, you just have to ask. we have no fees whatsoever and they set us up with online banking right there too.

i absolutely love bank of america. the customer service when i go in no matter the branch, and also when i call is very friendly and helpful. One thing i was also informed, until i get my green card, even though i do have my ssn card, i am not listed as a permanent resident, as i technically am still in the process of my AOS.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

I arrived here on my K1 visa three weeks ago and recieved my Social Security card this morning. So, I went online to Bank of America to apply for the basic checking account. I wanted an account with them as my fiance has one with them too.

I completed the simple form, gave my social security number and have just recieved an email a few hours later saying that my application has been declined!!! What am I supposed to do now? I know I have limited credit history as I've only just got here but how else am I supposed to get an account for AOS proof and for later when I have a job??

I'm really suprised at this. I don't have great credit in the UK, but I didn't think that would effect me here. My UK bank is all in good standing and is still in use and open.

Banks suck, I never really liked them. They charge too many fees.

My suggestion is to try a Credit Union. They generally charge less fees, less restirctive and most are open on saturdays.

Filed: Other Timeline

Let's put this simply (if someone hasn't already):

You just applied and receieved a Social Security #.

Due to this, you will not be in any database as of yet that BoA or any other bank can "check" to see if you are who you say you are. You haven't had time to be.

You tried to apply online, with the bank having no idea how to verify who you were. You didn't show up, so of course they weren't going to give you an account online.

All you need to do is going into a branch with your SS card, your passport/other documents and an opening deposit and this won't be a problem.

It's not that they don't want your money, it's just they need to verify who you are. You are a ghost to them right now as your new information is not going to pop up on a credit report just yet.

Mother of God, may lightning strike me dead . . . I can't believe I'm saying this:

That was the first meaningful and 100% correct and on-the-money post I've read from you! So there's hope after all . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

On Bank of America's site it asks you for:

Your Citizenship *

Yes, I am a U.S. citizen

Yes, I am a U.S. citizen with dual citizenship

Yes, I am a Permanent Resident Alien with a Green Card and Social Security number

No, I am not a U.S. citizen. See additional information below. None of the above

Those are the selections to choose from.

If you arent a Citizen of LPR it kicks back the following:

At this time, we are only able to accept online applications from U.S.citizens or legal residents. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You can apply for an account at a local Bank of America banking center near you.

If you don't already have an account it will usually kick you back. If you already have an account sometimes it will work. The bank is weird. But I love them. sometimes.

"It is Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Some smart dude

-------------------------------------------------

K Visa Timeline

-------------------------------------------------

Visa Journey

3/20/2008: I-129F Sent

8/6/2008: Approval Notice

10/14/2008: VISA Approved!

10/24/2008: POE

--- AOS ---

4/14/2009 - Interview with USCIS... APPROVED! Day 92 since receipt of USCIS AOS

-- I-751 Waiver Application ---

1/18/2011 - I-751 Waiver Application mailing to cSC

3/23/2011 - I-751 Divorce Waiver Approved - 10 Year Card in the mail!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.