RUSSandRACHEL

Turned down for a bank account

43 posts in this topic

My husband opened an account with B of A before we even started the immigration process. It wasn't until a month later that we thought it would be a good idea to add me to his account. His credit isn't the greatest in the UK either, but they had no problem opening an account with him using just his passport.

He did open the account in person though.

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NOA2: 2010-03-05

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

We opened our joint account with a local bank while we were engaged.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think you were denied because you didn't go there in person.

My husband tried to add me on his B of A account while we were still in Brazil and they said for non US citizens we have to go in person and apply. For security reasons, I don't know...

I don't think it has nothing to do with your credit... just go there in person and I think you should be ok.

Let's us know how it went, please =)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

We tried to add my husband to my BofA account, and they refused him b/c no SSN and no non-tourist visa.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I arrived here on my K1 visa three weeks ago and recieved my Social Security card this morning. So, I went online to Bank of America to apply for the basic checking account. I wanted an account with them as my fiance has one with them too.

I completed the simple form, gave my social security number and have just recieved an email a few hours later saying that my application has been declined!!! What am I supposed to do now? I know I have limited credit history as I've only just got here but how else am I supposed to get an account for AOS proof and for later when I have a job??

I'm really suprised at this. I don't have great credit in the UK, but I didn't think that would effect me here. My UK bank is all in good standing and is still in use and open.

It is because your social security number is not in the online system for the IRS yet, and that is the system the bank uses. It can take several weeks for the SS Administration to update the IRS on new numbers.

So...stand up. Turn off the computer. Take your ID and social security number to the local bank, it is building labled B-A-N-K and open an account. Or wait until the online records catch up if you will shrivel in the sunshine.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

Rachel,

drones are bad, computers are worse.

Drones have little brains, computers have none. Go to your local BofA b ranch, open an account and ask them to waive the fee 'cause the Citibank branch next door offered you the same courtesy. If they refuse, speak with the MANAGER!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

It is because your social security number is not in the online system for the IRS yet, and that is the system the bank uses. It can take several weeks for the SS Administration to update the IRS on new numbers.

So...stand up. Turn off the computer. Take your ID and social security number to the local bank, it is building labled B-A-N-K and open an account. Or wait until the online records catch up if you will shrivel in the sunshine.

Theres no need for rudeness. I'm very well aware of what a bank is! You sound like you're speaking to someone who doesn't have a clue. I've been working and have had a bank account for many years. I thought everyone's here to help one another. And actually, Russ and I are absolutely rushed off our feet at the moment. We are getting married in 4 days and renovating our house. We have been planning our wedding for over a year so it is a very big deal for us to do it properly. The intention of completing an application online was to save some much needed time and to save money, as I have already explained.

Thanks to everyone else for your helpful replies. I will go in, in person.

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

It is 110% because you are a non-US Citizen. Non-US Citizens cannot use the online form.

Quick Fix go directly into Bank of America and they will go ahead and set you up with what you need.

It's that simple :)

"It is Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Some smart dude

-------------------------------------------------

K Visa Timeline

-------------------------------------------------

Visa Journey

3/20/2008: I-129F Sent

8/6/2008: Approval Notice

10/14/2008: VISA Approved!

10/24/2008: POE

--- AOS ---

4/14/2009 - Interview with USCIS... APPROVED! Day 92 since receipt of USCIS AOS

-- I-751 Waiver Application ---

1/18/2011 - I-751 Waiver Application mailing to cSC

3/23/2011 - I-751 Divorce Waiver Approved - 10 Year Card in the mail!

You have to go to a branch / local bank, you cannot do it online because there is no history on your ssn yet. And sometimes, even if there is existing history if there a single discrepancy on information provided (even just initial) your application may be denied.

Credit report is not a requirement for you to open an account. Just bring 2 identification card with you and you should be ok.

By the way, if you want to start building your credit score, start applying for a secured credit card where you put a deposit equivalent to the credit limit and the deposit will be refunded to you after a year. And make sure you make timely payment and do not maximize the card that way you can have excellent score.

Edited by uscmom

Theres no need for rudeness. I'm very well aware of what a bank is! You sound like you're speaking to someone who doesn't have a clue. I've been working and have had a bank account for many years. I thought everyone's here to help one another. And actually, Russ and I are absolutely rushed off our feet at the moment. We are getting married in 4 days and renovating our house. We have been planning our wedding for over a year so it is a very big deal for us to do it properly. The intention of completing an application online was to save some much needed time and to save money, as I have already explained.

Thanks to everyone else for your helpful replies. I will go in, in person.

a 5 year old knows what a bank is. Do you really want to take yourself down to the posters level? Just ignore, :whistle:

Good luck.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I suggest you take another look at the I-485 instructions.... other than a marriage certificate, there is NO other "proof" for AOS needed with the initial submission. If and only if you have an interview would this information be required for AOS.... you have some more time to get it together than you might think

I agree. We were one of the lucky ones that our case was transferred to CSC so we didn't even need bank info. I also have Bank of America and I spoke to a teller and he said all we needed was Id and marriage cert to add him. Maybe the way to go isn't online but to go into an actual branch. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck to you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You have to go to a branch / local bank, you cannot do it online because there is no history on your ssn yet. And sometimes, even if there is existing history if there a single discrepancy on information provided (even just initial) your application may be denied.

Credit report is not a requirement for you to open an account. Just bring 2 identification card with you and you should be ok.

By the way, if you want to start building your credit score, start applying for a secured credit card where you put a deposit equivalent to the credit limit and the deposit will be refunded to you after a year. And make sure you make timely payment and do not maximize the card that way you can have excellent score.

Thanks for this info!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is 110% because you are a non-US Citizen. Non-US Citizens cannot use the online form.

Quick Fix go directly into Bank of America and they will go ahead and set you up with what you need.

It's that simple :)

Not true.... I have opened a couple of bank accounts for my wife online... maybe because she is a non-RESIDENT not because she is a non citizen

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.