RUSSandRACHEL

Turned down for a bank account

43 posts in this topic

I arrived here on my K1 visa three weeks ago and recieved my Social Security card this morning. So, I went online to Bank of America to apply for the basic checking account. I wanted an account with them as my fiance has one with them too.

I completed the simple form, gave my social security number and have just recieved an email a few hours later saying that my application has been declined!!! What am I supposed to do now? I know I have limited credit history as I've only just got here but how else am I supposed to get an account for AOS proof and for later when I have a job??

I'm really suprised at this. I don't have great credit in the UK, but I didn't think that would effect me here. My UK bank is all in good standing and is still in use and open.

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just a thought... Can you be put onto a joint account with your fiance? Maybe open a NEW joint account, if necessary...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi guys,

I added Paul to my chg/saving accounts also insurance benefits & as a beneficiary to my 401K plus we have credit cards and he is adding himself to our utilities. Did not need SSN# for any of those. We were too late to get a SSN# and so we are waiting until he is issued one with the AOS. Then we will go back to all these places and have them add it. It is my understanding that is what is important for now to show we are living together as a couple and it is a bonafide relationship. Yes at some point we want him to start establishing a credit history for various reasons but b/c the I-94 will be expiring soon the SSN office said too late and gave him a letter. They didn't want there to be any confusion since we had sent in the AOS package.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

I-129F Sent : Jul 10, 2009, Fri (wonderful day); I-129F Recvd: Jul 11, 2009, Sat

Check being cashed: Jul 15, 2009, Wed (whoo hoo, in the process)

I-129F NOA1 : Jul 13, 2009 (date on letter); I-129F NOA1: July 20, 2009 (day letter actually arrived)

Victoria went to England: Aug 29 - Sep 7

I-129F RFE(s) : none, awesome; I-129F NOA2 : Sep 21, 2009

Craigy went to US: Oct 16 - Oct 24

NVC Left : Sep 25, 2009

Packet 3 Sent to Craigy: Oct 6, 2009 (per DOS), Oct 9, 2009 Craigy recvd; Sent out Nov 16; Eligible for Interview: Nov 25 (per DOS)

Victoria going to England: Dec 25 - Jan 4 Interview while Victoria is visiting Paul. Dec 29, 2009 8 am Success. Jan 3, 2009 Courier dropped off Passport with Visa

Craigy Enters US: March 31st

Marriage: May 1, 2010

Somewhat surprised to hear this, but I checked out BoA website and they do indeed go through an approval process.

What about trying another bank? Wachovia and Chase are in NJ, and I didn't have to go through an approval process for them, that I can remember. To start with though, I got added to my wifes account, so not sure if that helped me or not, but I don't think so.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I arrived here on my K1 visa three weeks ago and recieved my Social Security card this morning. So, I went online to Bank of America to apply for the basic checking account. I wanted an account with them as my fiance has one with them too.

I completed the simple form, gave my social security number and have just recieved an email a few hours later saying that my application has been declined!!! What am I supposed to do now? I know I have limited credit history as I've only just got here but how else am I supposed to get an account for AOS proof and for later when I have a job??

I'm really suprised at this. I don't have great credit in the UK, but I didn't think that would effect me here. My UK bank is all in good standing and is still in use and open.

That's odd. I work with alot of H1Bs from India. They seem to have no problem opening an account. They even added my wife to my account before she had a SS#. They lady just entered 0s in there for her SS#. You might try going there in person.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Most banks have some kind of stipulation for non-citizens. You may try actually going into the bank in person to apply. They just asked for several forms of picture ID and proof of address. They didn't even look at the social security card. We ran into so many problems trying to get my husband on our bank account. It took having his name added to our lease and utilities before they would finally accept him on the account. It was the same for Chase Bank too. Good luck!

Edited by Mrs. Gil

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-26

Visa Received : 2010-02-04

US Entry - Dallas : 2010-02-26

Marriage : 2010-03-27

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Dallas TX

Date Filed : 2010-04-13

NOA Date : 2010-04-24

RFE(s) :

AOS Transfer** : 2010-05-13

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-07

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-18

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-22

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-23

******EAD and AP approved and sent for production 2010-06-28******

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I too should have added that it's probably better to go in person as someone else said. The web-based account opening can only look at your (new) SS# and see that it has no credit history associated with it, it can't make a decision based on your unique circumstances.

Good luck!

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Does anybody else think it's strange that they need a credit history to open a bank account? She's going to put money in, not use their money on credit. I would try another bank in person, and I would get a joint account because that's a biggie with AOS--the proof of co-mingling money. If you want an individual account also, then put some joint money into a new shared account and open yourself another individual account. Credit unions are nice too if there is one you qualify for membership locally.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Timeline

Man . . . after way over half a Century on planet Earth I've never heard that a bank would not want a new customer's business.

Come on, spill the beans . . . tell us which bank you are talking about. Most important, what exactly was the bank manager's response? Depending on his or her response -- and I kid you not -- I would consider filing a formal complaint with the bank's corporate offices.

If you did not talk to the bank manager . . . there's your problem. Talking to to a drone who barely got their high school diploma out of mercy is like asking the door man at the USCIS building if your AOS package looks good. What response do you expect from this?

Until then, go to another bank. Any of those would love to have you as a customer and take care of your banking needs.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

We got an offer in the mail for $100 credit if we opened an account and added direct deposit at CHASE! They didn't have much trouble, we just had to bring in UK passport, SS Card and 2 utility bills to show my husband's proof of address.

He walked into a local credit union yesterday and they told him he didn't qualify because he didn't live or work in Salt Lake County. He called me and I told him he does because a household member (me) does. All this was listed on their website as qualifications to open an account.

I was so mad because I thought they might have been b!tches to him due to him having an accent. So I left a very hot message on the branch manager's voicemail informing him that he better check into what is going on with his branch if the employees are turning away business so quickly.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That's bizarre. I opened at account with Bank of America when I was 18, just fresh off the boat. I didn't even have a SSN at that point. They just needed an ID and proof of address.

Maybe go in and see what they say.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Plus, I just wanted to added that I've used Bank of America for 5 years and have received tremendous customer service, even while overseas. I'm very happy with the way they conduct business. Never had any problems! Just received my new credit card from them! :)

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Thank you to everyone for your repies! They're so helpful! It does seem really weird that 1, they're doing a credit check for me to put my money in their bank and 2, that they are turning away business. I told Russ today at work and hes really surprised and suggested we try somewhere else. But, I used to work for credit card companies in the UK and know that every time a credit search is conducted, a mark goes on your record. I don't want to be turned down by a load of companies just to get turned down again and again.

Just Bob, I applied online because the monthly fee for checking accounts is waived if you apply on line, and it was Bank of America.

Nich-nick. If we wait to add my name onto Russ' account, we'll have to wait until we're married and then get our marriage certificate back. That doesn't leave u much time left to compile 'proof' for AOS. And, I also tried to get my name on the utilities. One company said ok, but then changed their mind and said I could have 'access' to pay the bills but not have my name actually on them. The other company said a flat no! I don't get these people.

I'm getting a little worried now as I don't know what else we can do. We don't have the money right now to add me onto Russ' health insurance and he doesn't have any credit cards either that my name could be added to.

You shouldn't need to be married to be added to his bank account. Ours just needed passport and SSN. Maybe take another shot and ask to see a supervisor if they refuse again?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That doesn't leave u much time left to compile 'proof' for AOS.

I suggest you take another look at the I-485 instructions.... other than a marriage certificate, there is NO other "proof" for AOS needed with the initial submission. If and only if you have an interview would this information be required for AOS.... you have some more time to get it together than you might think

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.