Dual Citizenship Question!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

I have a question...

once Arrival to the USA...

Which will be in July for me..

Just wondering .. when we fill out the adjustment of status , with that can we do Dual Citizenship application ?

I would like to keep my canadian citizenship as well as becoming a United of American Citizenship...

Has any one done this before ?

Let me know

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

I have a question...

Just wondering .. when we fill out the adjustment of status , with that can we do Dual Citizenship application ?

I would like to keep my canadian citizenship as well as becoming a United of American Citizenship...

Let me know

Dual Citizenship FAQ:

Dual Nationality and

United States Law

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

I have a question...

Let me know

You can have dual nationality, but simply becoming a resident does not immediately qualify you for US Citizenship (not to be confused with United of American Citizenship). However, once you meet the eligibility requirements, then it is at your option to apply (minimum 3 to 5 years from when you become a US resident depending on your situation at that time).

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

I have a question...

Let me know

No. Because there's nothing to do. You are not becoming a USC when you file for Adjustment of Status, in fact as a CR-1/IR-1 you never adjust status (I now see that this is in the wrong place and that you are a K1... I will move it in a sec)

Are you referring to removal of conditions? Or Naturalisation (becoming a USC).

If it is naturalisation, the US recognises dual citizens, and so does Canada. You don't do anything. You simply have two passports to maintain. The US doesn't care about your Canadian passport and Canada doesn't care about your US one.

I have a UK and Aussie passport. No-one needed to be notified when I obtained the other. When (and if) I get a US passport I will not need to tell Australia or the UK that I have the US passport now, nor the US of my two others.

** moved from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures to General Immigration Related Discussion as this is not a CR-1/IR-1 discussion. This seemed a more appropriate place for it**

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Hey Everyone!

I have a question...

Let me know

Unless you explicitly file a CIT-030 (renunciation of citizenship) with CIC, your Canadian citizenship stays even after you become a US citizen. I naturalised to Canada in 1982 and to US in 2005--and renounced Canadian citizenship in 2008 due to it being a barrier to getting clearances.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Some of the advice being given here is misleading. The US does not specifically forbid dual citizenship, but it also does not explicitly recognize it. In fact, US law does not mention dual nationality at all. If you are a citizen of the US and another country, the US simply ignores the fact that you are a citizen of another country, and treats you like a US citizen.

The misleading part is that the US requires you to renounce any foreign allegiances when you take the oath of citizenship. After that, as far as the US is concerned, you are no longer a citizen of any other country. The US will not recognize, nor make any concessions for, any obligations your citizenship to another country might place upon you. Whether that renunciation actually results in you losing your foreign citizenship depends on the other country you are a citizen of. In the case of Canada, they do not recognize the renunciation as an abandonment of Canadian citizenship, nor does the Canadian government require you to renounce other foreign allegiances when you become a Canadian citizen.

US law, however, does recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made to another country as an abandonment of US citizenship. Many other countries also recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made when becoming a US citizen as being an abandonment of citizenship of that country.

When a US citizen decides to become a citizen of another country, or a citizen of another country decides to become a US citizen, it is critically important that they understand the laws of both countries. Depending on those laws, they may not be dual citizens afterward.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Have you been married for 5 years? I thought that was the dual citizenship rule.

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you been married for 5 years? I thought that was the dual citizenship rule.

A 5 year marriage is not a sole criteria to US citizenship.... Citizenship based on a marriage to a USC has three requirements that must be met, a current and ongoing three year or longer marriage to the same USC is only one of them.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

US law, however, does recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made to another country as an abandonment of US citizenship. Many other countries also recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made when becoming a US citizen as being an abandonment of citizenship of that country.

I am wondering if there is a typo here Jim? It does not seem intuitive that a RENUNCIATION of foreign allegiances would lead to abandonment of US citizenship.

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am wondering if there is a typo here Jim? It does not seem intuitive that a RENUNCIATION of foreign allegiances would lead to abandonment of US citizenship.

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me.

"US law, however, does recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made to another country as an abandonment of US citizenship."

ie: If you stand before the government of a another country (not the U.S.) and renounce all foreign allegiances (so foreign would include the U.S.) - that could be considered an abandonment of citizenship.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"US law, however, does recognize a renunciation of foreign allegiances made to another country as an abandonment of US citizenship."

ie: If you stand before the government of a another country (not the U.S.) and renounce all foreign allegiances (so foreign would include the U.S.) - that could be considered an abandonment of citizenship.

Correct. This is the point I was trying to make. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.