Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Kelly: It's the fate of younger siblings :( - they catch whatever the older ones bring home. Jona was well over 1 year old before he ever got a little stuffed, so I was quite negatively surprised when Eloise caught Jona's cold at just 5 weeks. You have to watch for a fever, the ped will tell you the threshold for her age and just put saline spray/drops up her nose. Our ped didn't want us to use a nose sucker at all and said it further aggravates the nasal tissue... I did suck some snot out of her throat though, the post-nasal drip gets caught there. I hope she'll recover soon, it stinks big time!

@ Steffi: Eloise has no choice but to live with Jona's routine, we don't bathe her every night (more like weekly) but Jona does, and while he plays in the tub, I put a nighttime diaper on (a pocket diaper that has a stay-dry liner since she'll sleep for up to 6 hours in it), get her changed, swaddled and nurse her. Nursing for us takes about 5-10 minutes and she is all full and drifts off... I then get Jona out of the tub, brush his teeth and we all go to his room, at this stage she is still sort of snoring but not in a deep sleep and we read our good night story and say good night to everyone, then I go downstairs and I do put her in our swing then for a while until she is totally asleep. When I go upstairs I just put her in the cosleeper and she does stay asleep for a while. I hope that the meds help Kai, then he will probably sleep more. But my day is on a strict schedule anyways, when to get up, when we eat lunch/dinner, nap time... So she sort of has to get used to that. I don't think it's bad that you put him on his tummy to sleep, you were right there and know what to do in case he throws up some. I have heard from a bunch of mamas whose babies would never sleep unless on the tummy, unfortunately. Eloise keeps breaking out of the swaddle and rolls on her side, it's just a matter of days til she will roll on her tummy. I'm a tummy sleeper, so is Jona, so maybe she'll want to do that too.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

wow. Kai eats for 30+ minutes, then vomits, then we have to start feeding him again after he screams for about 1 hour.Then he dozes off but only for a few minutes. He hates the swing. He hates the carseats. He hates the pack'n play. He lasts 2 minutes in the swing before he flips out. I can't just feed him an entire bottle in 5-10 minutes because he will throw it all up. I have to feed him small amounts about every 90 minutes and he doesn that naturally by nursing. I have to give him a daily bath because he throws up so much it runs under his neck and gets yucky.

I think I'm losing it. Ben is sick again with the croupy cold and needs the nebulizer which means I have to set the baby down to do that and that doesn't work. I have to hold him day and night and there is still a lot of screaming in between. And by always holding the baby and tending to the baby Ben is being totally left out.

The babysitter was here for 2 whole days this week but I still didn't get even 1 minute of sleep. waaaaahhh. I am just sitting on the couch, feeding and comforting the baby. so far he spit out all the Zantac, right after I give it to him. I just don't know what to do. And the hubby is moved in to his office so that he can function at work. Now with Ben sick I am up all night taking care of him because he will not sleep. :crying: It wouldn't even be so bad if I was staying at home. With every day closer to work I freak out more which doesn't help.

As for childcare- we will need less childcare in April because my parents are here and Chuck is on vacation and then a total of 12 hours/week starting in may when I do part time. But the babysitter told me today that she expects her salary to stay the same, at $250 a week. She made it sound like she is doing us a favor by not charging extra for the second child but I think $250 for 12 hours is way too much!!! She is awesome but I don't think I want to pay her $20/hour! :o

Kelly: hope Salma feels better soon!! (F) I love the boogie sucker and saline drops, hope she won't get a fever!

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Stef, is it possible that Kai has pyloric stenosis (sp?) My boss's son wasnt diagnosed until a month old and then had surgery. I just remember him telling me his son spit up every feeding and that was a common sign of it. He told me it was commonly diagnosed between 3 and 5 weeks old and occurs in caucasion males most commonly. Wouldnt be the answer you were looking for but I remember their Ped kept saying reflux and they knew it was something more. Maybe bring it up to the doctor?

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Timeline

btw. Salma went and saw the doc today. He said it just looks like Parainfluenza and should go away in a week. He said saline, no bulb syringe, and lots of TLC. He did say RSV was going around but since she wasnt coughing and no fever he didnt feel the need to test her. and at 7 weeks her stats are 24.5 inches and 12lbs12ozs. She sure is growing good. Over 4lbs gained in 7 weeks. Im happy :)

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Timeline

btw. Salma went and saw the doc today. He said it just looks like Parainfluenza and should go away in a week. He said saline, no bulb syringe, and lots of TLC. He did say RSV was going around but since she wasnt coughing and no fever he didnt feel the need to test her. and at 7 weeks her stats are 24.5 inches and 12lbs12ozs. She sure is growing good. Over 4lbs gained in 7 weeks. Im happy :)

big girl, nice job Kel, you worked very hard for every single ounce of her! :star:

will look into pyloric but as I said, he doesn't do projectile vomitting. I also remember most babies being more like 6 weeks old, but who knows, I will bring it up to the ped.

wow no more bulb syringe? I couldn't live without it when Ben was sick as a little baby.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

wow. Kai eats for 30+ minutes, then vomits, then we have to start feeding him again after he screams for about 1 hour.Then he dozes off but only for a few minutes. He hates the swing. He hates the carseats. He hates the pack'n play. He lasts 2 minutes in the swing before he flips out. I can't just feed him an entire bottle in 5-10 minutes because he will throw it all up. I have to feed him small amounts about every 90 minutes and he doesn that naturally by nursing. I have to give him a daily bath because he throws up so much it runs under his neck and gets yucky.

I think I'm losing it. Ben is sick again with the croupy cold and needs the nebulizer which means I have to set the baby down to do that and that doesn't work. I have to hold him day and night and there is still a lot of screaming in between. And by always holding the baby and tending to the baby Ben is being totally left out.

The babysitter was here for 2 whole days this week but I still didn't get even 1 minute of sleep. waaaaahhh. I am just sitting on the couch, feeding and comforting the baby. so far he spit out all the Zantac, right after I give it to him. I just don't know what to do. And the hubby is moved in to his office so that he can function at work. Now with Ben sick I am up all night taking care of him because he will not sleep. :crying: It wouldn't even be so bad if I was staying at home. With every day closer to work I freak out more which doesn't help.

As for childcare- we will need less childcare in April because my parents are here and Chuck is on vacation and then a total of 12 hours/week starting in may when I do part time. But the babysitter told me today that she expects her salary to stay the same, at $250 a week. She made it sound like she is doing us a favor by not charging extra for the second child but I think $250 for 12 hours is way too much!!! She is awesome but I don't think I want to pay her $20/hour! :o

Kelly: hope Salma feels better soon!! (F) I love the boogie sucker and saline drops, hope she won't get a fever!

Poor Kai and poor you!

You probably tried all this, but just in case

-carrying him in a sling most of the day in an upright position

-gripe water

-pacifier

-Happi Tummi Pad

-colic massage pad

-sleep with torso elevated/ in an incline Nap nanny

-Here's another way to elevate baby in an incline to sleep: tucker sling matress wedge

Hope Salma and Eloise feel better soon!

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know how you feel about Chiropractors but the one my husband goes too treats infants fresh out of the hospital he treats them for all sorts of things, including colic, it may be worth looking into. I can't imagine what you are going through or poor Kai. Hopefully things get better soon for the two of you.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Poor Kai and poor you!

You probably tried all this, but just in case

-carrying him in a sling most of the day in an upright position

-gripe water

-pacifier

-Happi Tummi Pad

-colic massage pad

-sleep with torso elevated/ in an incline Nap nanny

-Here's another way to elevate baby in an incline to sleep: tucker sling matress wedge

Hope Salma and Eloise feel better soon!

Saludos,

Caro

thank you for these suggestions! Yes I have tried most of it except for the nap nanny, just because of the ridiculous price and the mixed reviews.. I do like the tucker sling, I really think I want to give it a try. My Neonatologist at work recommended it to me.

On the bright side, Kai slept a 3 hour stretch and a 2 hour stretch last night. He was awake from 4am-6am then another hour of sleep. :) So that's a start! I prop him up on a very firm pillow and lay down next to him but he fusses and fusses forever until I scoop him up and put him on my chest with his belly on my stomach. He loves that and he could probably sleep like that for a long time but I just don't want him to get in that habit especially with the hubby in charge next week.

Ontarkie: I will look into chirppractors, I saw one for my pelvis pain during the pregnancy but she doesn't do babies. They all seem to specialize in certain areas.

Staashi: I haven't looked into food allergies. Reflux is more of a muscle problem (the muscle between the esophagus and the stomach doesn't close tight enough hence the reflux.) I was wondering if he was allergic to something I eat, like dairy because he had this really nasty diaper rash for almost 3 weeks, but that's gone now. He seems to be very sensitive to environmental stuff, like he has an eye infection too right now. Ben has uses maybe one tube of burts bees diaper cream in his life! Kai has already gone through 2 in his 5 weeks. haha.

Thank you all for your tips and support, it helps. I guess we will just have to get through it, thank God most of the time it doesn't last longer than 3-4 months. I guess it's a trial anderror thing to figure out what works.

He did keep the Zantac down last night and there was definitely less spitting up all night, maybe that's how he slept so much better.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

The tummy tub calms down reflux/colic babies too. There are cheaper knock-offs on Amazon. Eloise isn't colicky, but as soon as you put her in the tub she smiles.

I really hope Kai will do better soon... The past few nights E didn't want to sleep anywhere else than my arms, but I think when they are so young it's not really habit-forming. Jona did it for a while as infant and it didn;t stick. A chiro might really help... Allergies might be a thing too, but I have heard over and over that dairy intolerance would result in green baby poop, so lots of people notice it and cut out dairy, next thing is citrus fruits...

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the three hour test is done and I past :dance: I had a different tech and she used the butterfly needles on me to help a bit. The other tech bruised me so bad, I had never had needles hurt that bad before and they never hurt coming out but somehow that tech managed that. Anyways I was in a complete different train of mind for the test if anyone would of said anything to me I would of lost it though, I kept it together long enough to get back in the truck then I broke down. My whole day I spent so so sick from that glucose drink.

Thank you for helping me get through that, common sense was really failing me that day.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Ontarkie! Great Job on passing the test! I failed my 1 hour too and passed the 3 hour with flying colors.

Salma is doing ok. Not getting any worse so I guess thats good news. She has been sleeping NONSTOP for 2 days tho (not that i can complain there) I got home from work today and as soon as she saw my face her face lit up and she couldnt stop smiling and kicking her arms and legs. I just love that stuff <3 So happy to be home this weekend with my kids

Stef. Sounds like you got some good suggestions. I was gonna suggest cutting out the dairy if you havent already. The rash would be a good sign that he is sensitive to something your eating. Maybe start keeping a food diary? I hope things get better and your right, 3-4 months and Kai will be happy and this will all be a distant memory <3 hang in there

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Timeline

@ kelly: That is so cute!!! :) Eloise slept a whole lot too when she was sick, I actually woke her up to eat as I was scared she might starve or so... She pulled 7-8 hour stretches and was only 5 weeks old... But now I know they just sleep a lot to fight the cold off!

@ Ontarkie: Yeah! A tech can make and break the experience... We have an awesome one on base (Air Force) where I do my labs, I do not even feel the needle. The hospitals I have been too... Ewwww my IVs hurt like hell and it took usually at least 2 people before it was in, and about 5 tries on both arms and hands. After Jona's birth my lower left arm was totally blue-black. Yucky. So glad I didn't have any needles near me for Eloise's birth (ok a Pit shot for bleeding after the placenta, but that didn't hurt, my midwife is the BEST shot giver ever).

I managed to get the dumbest injury ever. Sleep deprived me brushed her teeth really quickly, and I rammed my toothbrush into the back of my mouth, really close even to the tonsils, painful. Now it got infected, like a huge cold sore basically and my tonsil is swollen too. It hurts so when I swallow or talk, ewww. I hope it goes away quickly and for now I stick to my sonic toothbrush, no ramming danger!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!