Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

well my totally unbiased objective opinion- :innocent::whistle::devil: the L&D RN is your best friend and advocate,during delivery time and she is the one who will spend the most time with you guys, through the good and the bad therefore I'd go with the hospital that you feel more comfortable with, or compare the 2 for their nursing excellence awards i.e. Magnet status etc. Get a tour in both places, talk to the nursesetc.

Moms: any recommendations on baby bottles? So far I've used the medela bottles that come with the breast pump, but he is eating more than 5oz, so we need to buy bigger bottles. Any suggestions? I'm confused about all the anti-colic stuff etc. I like Doc Browns but they look complicated! Born free are cool too, but I don't want to spend $10 on 1 bottle. Ben was exclusively breastfed, we never used any bottles, we went straight to the sippy cup at 9 months. Im a little clue-less there are so many options!

We used the ventaire system for enzo. He did great on them and they truly helped his gas/colic, along with the soy. We still use them. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ \: I agree about the birth plan, find out what you want and don't want. A birth plan is not a set plan, it's just how you'd like things to go under good circumstances. If the obgyn is totally offended by a birth plan, take your wife and run. There are many things of course that we cannot influence, but let's say she needs to be induced, make sure they don't use Cytotec/Misoprostol, that they allow for ample time for dilation and such things - and that the reason is truly medically warranted. There are so many things to consider - whether you want drugs or not, when, how, if you totally don't want an episiotomy, if you want delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, managed third stage or not, if you want newborn procedures (vitamin K shot or drops, eye goop, HepB shot, bath), what in case of a c-section, do you want to room in... Many questions that you guys should ask yourself and your obgyn, and also tour both hospitals and ask about those things. Where is the newborn exam done - on mom's chest or in a warmer? Stuff like that is usually hospital procedure. Also know that you can object to any of those procedures, you're the patient, you can say no to a newborn bath if you don't want it, kwim? And I totally agree with Steffi, in the end it comes down to your nurse. The doc won't show up til pushing time, and most of the time, you will be alone in your room (are you up to support her or would you rather have a friend there or hire a doula?).

As for the hospitals, a teaching hospital can be great, it can be horrible. Again, I'd check out both places and do some digging, ask friends and coworkers about experiences and check out http://www.thebirthsurvey.com/ for hospital and doctor ratings.'

@ Steffi: Uhh no idea, I only ever had Born Free bottles for the occasional pumped meal fed by daddy... I was satisfied with those bottles though, gosh I wish you lived around the corner, I have 6 unopened bottles collecting dust in the basement which I will never use!

Nothing new here, potty training is moving slowly forward and Eloise had a growth spurt and ate every 2 hours... But at 8 weeks she already weighed 11.1lbs, 1.4lb more and she'll double her birth weight...

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Timeline

I'm not ignoring anyone, it's just that all the details in these responses are killing me :lol: I need to read everything, sentence by sentence, google every word I don't understand (which is like every other word) and then process it all. My wife has been soliciting advice as well and she is feeling frazzled. She just came home from work and tells me she doesn't want to talk about this today. Now she's sleeping :lol:

So thank you, really. I will respond when I know what to say :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

haha, it can be confusing. Yes google is a nice tool, just make sure you don't get info in the wrong places (just to confuse ya even more hehe) when it comes to childbirth I've found a lot of people who had 1 baby think they know everything and they try to give wrong advice even though they mean well. Go with your gut feeling, that's most important, but do research procedures, drugs, circumcision etc. Good luck. The baby will always come out, one way or another haha if that makes you feel better. But a healthy mommy and a healthy baby is most important. :)

about the bottles- I was wondering whether all the anti-colic hype is really true- Kai is extremely gassy and has very bad reflux. Just after bf he needs lots of burping and he is always cranky. I was wondering whether the anti-colic systems really work. The medela bottles just have a regular nipple. But I've seen other bottles with some "attachments" that claim to reduce colic and make the baby swallow less air.

Man I'm so nervous to go back to work!! My poor baby! It feels so wrong!!! But the good news- I go back full time in April and I somehow worked something out with my boss that I will get part-time in May! :dance: That means 2 13 hour shifts/week, it should be doable, or at least better than full time. I hope. I will have grey hair by the end of the year from all the worrying. :P I wish I could smuggle him in to work.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Stef, we used playtex drop ins for Zaids colic and gas issues. They worked great but buying the liners can get quite expensive. Salma was EXTREMELY gassy from the medela bottles and I stopped using them right away plus the nipple just flowed extremely fast for her. Now we are using drops ins for MOTN feedings bc they heat up soo fast in a cup of warm water (important at 2am when your a walking zombie lol) and Avents during the day which I like alot and are an anti colic bottle too. btw is Kai really eating 5ozs or more at each feeding? Salma eats 3ozs every 3 hours lol. Ive tried 4 but sometimes she spits it up so ive stuck to 3ozs and shes always satisfied! I think shes right under 13lbs at 7 weeks, Ill find out her exact stats next friday at her 2 mo well visit. Kai must be a big boy!!

I dont really have any advice on the hospitals but the one I delivered at is a teaching hospital and I had 2 students in while I delivered and I was actually honored to give them that experience bc I have tons of friends who did their OB rounds and never got to experience a birth and were really bummed. One of the students actually wanted to work in peds so I let her do all Salma's tests and such when she was born. They thanked me for hours and even sent me flowers my discharge day.

Were doing good around here. Still exclusively pumping and my supply is FINALLY where I am happy with it. 27ozs per day. Dropping down to 6 pumps a day did the trick, and also moving my pump times around. Salma is STTN for the most part 10-4 and 415-9am or so. I have to wake for work at 5am so Im not getting a ton of sleep but im surviving. Hubby is home with the kids and it looks like he will be for another 8 weeks or so. He decided to take classes for his CDL and will be doing that in the afternoons for the next 6 weeks so while im bummed we wont have money pouring in for the next few months from him, i couldnt be happier that my kids will be home with their dad. Once Sofyan does get a job, I have to find a new daycare provider though :( my inhome babysitter got back from vacation last week and told me they bid on a house in Florida and are moving. DAMN! I was only gonna pay her 225$ a week for both kids so finding someone new ontop of finding a comparable price range is going to be a task...ahh well.. cross that bridge when we get there.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

I'm not ignoring anyone, it's just that all the details in these responses are killing me :lol: I need to read everything, sentence by sentence, google every word I don't understand (which is like every other word) and then process it all. My wife has been soliciting advice as well and she is feeling frazzled. She just came home from work and tells me she doesn't want to talk about this today. Now she's sleeping :lol:

So thank you, really. I will respond when I know what to say :P

I really don't think it's that difficult. The best thing you can do is tour both facilities, decide which you prefer and then talk to your doctor about any concerns you may have about your choice. Sometimes having 'too many cooks in the kitchen' trying to help you decide is more harmful than helpful. ESPECIALLY the internet - horror stories abound!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question? How bad would it be if I wanted to not due the 3hr GD test, and just go on and have the doctor treat me as if I have GD. I'm just panicking here since I failed the 1hr, its them dang needles I know I wont be able to sit there getting repeatedly stabbed without a full melt down. I am more then freaking out now, so it is really bad already for me and I am trying to calm down and nothing I do is working atm.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Kai is 12lbs 12oz at 4 weeks, he is HUGE! head and length are in the 50ies but his weight is off the percentiles. Part of it is because he has really bad reflux and he would be crying non-stop, but the only thing that seems to help is to feed him and he eats a ton! Doc said it's common for babies with reflux to eitehr overeat or to lose weight so at least we don't have to worry about the latter. She prescribed him Zantac, he was screaming the entire 1.5 hours at the doctors office, arching his back etc. well actually he screams like that since last Monday and has not really stopped for more than a few minutes.

I can't believe Salma is STTN. how awesome. Kai "dozes" for maybe 20 minutes when I hold him upright, then he spits up, eats for like an hour, and then screams for another hour until I feed him again, a lot of times without sleeping for 4-6 hours.

I am a zombie!!! I tried formula (thats how desperate I got) but that made him colicky on top of the indigestion. I guess I will try to pump each feeding instead of nursing. :(

Thanks fo all the tips on bottles, I will give them a try! I'm so exhausted, but happy we made it through the first month, Doc said it will get better by 3-4 months. I hope so!!

Ontarkie: I knwo you're very afraid of needles, but I don't think there's a way around it. You can probably refuse but that would pose a risk to your fetus. If they treat you as a GD you will have to screen your blood glucose and that means needles. Blood drawing is not as bad/painful as an iv, or even a finger stick.

Can you bring your hubby, or someone who can hold your hand and help you relax and get through it?

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Steffi: Oh boy I hope he feels better soon... I'm sorry that he has reflux and sleeps so bad as a result, but I hope that he will be better, and probably will be by the 12 week mark... Most babies get better then... WOW for his weight. That beats Jona who is like the heaviest baby I know (15lb @ 2 months, 20lb at 4 months we shall see who wins the race ;) ).

@ Kelly: Good for you that you pump more now! Wow for Salma's sleep! Yeah!

@ Ontarkie: I would bite the bullet and do the three hour test. I know so many women who "failed" the one hour test and passed the three hour test with flying colors. If they treat you as if you had GD and you don't, there's a whole lot of testing and they will push induction early on for fear of a big baby... I just recently learned my mom had slight GD with me, she went into labor spontaneously at 38 weeks and a couple days and I weighed 6lb 6oz, so not every GD kid is going to be huge... Can you ask for the specific number you had? Different labs have different cutoffs...

Eloise gets really tired around 6pm, falls asleep around 630-7pm and sleeps til midnight, after that 3-4 hours and wakes up fully at 630am (wayyyy to early for me!!!), but is content just being held while I rest in bed until Jona gets up (730am). It's not too bad but less sleep than before with more work, so I have pretty dark circles under my eyes...

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you both. I needed logic and reason and that was somewhere my mind cannot go atm. I get the 3hr test done tomorrow morning I booked it before I started too completely freak out. My husband will be going with me, he was about to come home from work when I called him. I'm a big baby when it comes to needles. The nurse said I was just slightly over, but I don't know the numbers. I just hope I pass the next one, diabetes does run in the family so that's something else that freaks me out. I was recently tested, and passed but that was before I became pregnant.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Thank you both. I needed logic and reason and that was somewhere my mind cannot go atm. I get the 3hr test done tomorrow morning I booked it before I started too completely freak out. My husband will be going with me, he was about to come home from work when I called him. I'm a big baby when it comes to needles. The nurse said I was just slightly over, but I don't know the numbers. I just hope I pass the next one, diabetes does run in the family so that's something else that freaks me out. I was recently tested, and passed but that was before I became pregnant.

ok deep breath, you can do it! lots of stress=lots of cortisol in your blood= increased blood sugar. So try to relax, pinch your hubby's hands etc. I don't like needles either, I thought about the baby and how much I love him everytime I had to deal with pain during the pregnancy and that helped.

Kelly- he nurses and then is still fussing, rooting, sucking on his hands etc, so I fed him a bottle of 5oz pumped milk and he polished it off on top of whatever he was nursing. 3oz would be normal, but not my son... :wacko:

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

Poor Stef. Thats so hard and is still fresh in my memory with Zaid. He would wanna eat NONSTOP to soothe his aching belly and unfortunately you cannot overfeed with formula. Im glad you have a good spirit about evetyhing bc I didnt and it made my PPD real bad with Zaid. Your right it will be over soon. Have you tried modifying anything you eat that might be causing his spitup issues? I guess I got real lucky with Salma. last night she even slept 10pm-7am.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Timeline

Poor Stef. Thats so hard and is still fresh in my memory with Zaid. He would wanna eat NONSTOP to soothe his aching belly and unfortunately you cannot overfeed with formula. Im glad you have a good spirit about evetyhing bc I didnt and it made my PPD real bad with Zaid. Your right it will be over soon. Have you tried modifying anything you eat that might be causing his spitup issues? I guess I got real lucky with Salma. last night she even slept 10pm-7am.

ok so what do you do? How do you do it? I need every single detail. haha. Do you put her to bed awake? Does she sleep in the same room with you? Wow, I'm so happy for you and so jealous at the same time! I don't even want to ask for 8 hours 3 would be great!!! ANd once he wakes up he is usually crying and eating anywhere from 1-4 hours.

It's def reflux, I put him on his belly for his last nap out of sheer desperation and he's been sleeping for 2 hours now. He screams as soon as you put him down and haha happy attitude, I'm ready to bang my head into the walls because I'm so sleep deprived and miserable. I feel bad for my hubby he is trying so hard to help with Ben and baby and I'm miserable... I hope this shall pass soon!

Doc prescribed Zantac and of course he hasn't been added to our insurance plan for prescription meds yet, so there were $120 bucks out the window for the meds. I hope it helps at least!!!

Edited by chnst

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

Stef, I just do my best to keep her on a schedule and im strictly bottle feeding the breastmilk bc nursing takes so long when they are little and I didnt want her to affiliate my breasts with comfort (I know that makes me sound like a bad mom but in every experience of any friend or family member who breastfed, their child didnt sleep ttn til after they were weaned, and i have 2 friends who EP and their bottlefed BM babies STTN since 2 mos old). I give her a bath at 8pm, nice warm jammies, swaddle her, feed her, then normally she goes in her swing awake. She will talk sometimes for a while or sometimes she even whines a little but normally after about 30mins in there she dozes off. She slept 930pm-5am and 6am-9am last night. I let her sleep where she sleeps good. Maybe there will be consequences for letting her sleep in her swing or bouncer but i have to sleep with working monday-friday, so I have no choice. I hope you get a break soon mama <3 idk maybe i was just blessed with good sleepers. Zaid, even through all the colic, has slept through the night since 6 weeks old. Hes only woken up at night 1 time since then and thats when he had coxsackie virus. Altho lately since hes been strictly in his own bed I hear little feet pitter pattering at night but hes big enough now to just realize were all sleeping and take himself back to bed.

Salma is sick. I thought we were all clear since Zaid was on the mend and its been 6 days since his symptoms started but she definitly caught something. Shes sneezing and has nasal congestion :( I will be calling the Ped in a few minutes to make an appt to have her seen. Zaid didnt get a cold until he was 6 months old. This is so sad

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png