jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I like your words. I really try to buy local fresh food when I can. If I ate meat, I can assure you I would NEVER buy my meat in the supermarket. I really hope the way the world mass produces food in the worst possible way will change. If everyone made an effort to go out of their way to shop at their local butcher, fishmonger, bakery, fruit n veg shop...we'd all be healthier and supermarkets wouldn't be so super anymore.

Edited by jojo_gee

It can be hard to shop locally sometimes. Partly because of availability of what you want and also the increased cost of the products that you're looking for - they sometimes have to increase their markup to compete with supermarkets.

(I know that they can also drive prices down, but that doesn't always work.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I knowwww I'm Italian so I am in SERIOUS trouble with this bread #######! I'm gonna start making my own...the sugar is everywhere and I have the feeling that sooner or later it will alter my taste buds! :rofl: anyways have you noticed how sweet pizza dough is too? I don't get it how they seriously don't understand how bad all those preservatives and HFCS are...

And about shopping locally in small places...oh, how I miss my farmer's markets, bakeries, butcher and fishmongers...It's definitely a little expensive to eat healthy here--but to me it's totally worth it so I'm trying to do everything I can(even if it means becoming obsessed with reading labels of everything I buy!!! :lol: )

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Label watching might be the way forward. You learn a lot more about what you're eating when you see what's in something. (It's a bit hypocritical of me to say this, as I don't check either.) In terms of calories and everything that's not too bad. I have been paying a little bit more attention to that lately but I think I'll have to look even more so because of the extra content in the food there.

Last night we went to the local Stop&Shop and in their bakery they had European Crusty Rolls... for just 65 cents per roll!

HAPPY!! :)

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Blame the government! (generally my go-to place to lay blame) But seriously, the US government subsidizes corn farmers making corn the most prevalent crop in America. They had to come up with some way to use it all so they started putting it in EVERYTHING! Almost all non-perishables contain HFCS or some other corn byproduct. Think you can escape it by cutting into a nice juicy steak? Try again, the livestock here is all corn-fed as well. It's inescapable and there is substantial proof that as corn production has increased, so has the nation's waistline.

This is a pretty good article if you're interested in reading more. http://st4tic.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/corn-subsidies-how-congress-is-shortchanging-our-health-and-sweetening-things-for-the-food-industry/

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dude, I went to the Safeway here, and everywhere I turned, it was "contains now HFCS" this and "contains no HFCS" that. Including the bread! We'll see how it tastes ...

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Haven't read the whole thread--but the bread here is horrid; I buy the High Fructose Corn Syrup free bread. It still kind of sucks but not as bad. Getting a bread machine too!

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

We just discovered Earth Fare organic stores. They are amazing. Everything is HFCS free and the bread is delicious. Yes, it is more expensive than regular stores but it is worth it. Plus, they have sales on certain things every now and then so you can find stuff cheaper than Walmart. A jar of peanut butter with no hydrogenated oil is 3.29. A box of cereals HFCS free is about the same price. You can find thousands of products and they are all so fresh and taste so good. They got cooked food, they got their own bakery, plus you can taste most of the products.

And one more thing. They got this thing right now, called pantry make-over. You have to download the coupon on their website and bring unhealthy stuff that you got home (if you got any). They will take cereals, soda, jelly, salad dressing (or barbecue sauce or ketchup) with HFCS and peanut butter with hydrogenated oils and give you healthy options in return. All free. You gotta try it!

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 10/30/2009

NVC letter received - 10/31/2009

Received package 3 - 11/06/2009

Sent the papers required in package 3 to the embassy - 12/04/2009

My fiance arrived in Romania - 01/31/2010

Medical - 02/01/2010

Interview - 02/02/2010 - Visa approved!!!!

Entered USA (POE: Atlanta) - 02/15/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Blame the government! (generally my go-to place to lay blame) But seriously, the US government subsidizes corn farmers making corn the most prevalent crop in America. They had to come up with some way to use it all so they started putting it in EVERYTHING! Almost all non-perishables contain HFCS or some other corn byproduct. Think you can escape it by cutting into a nice juicy steak? Try again, the livestock here is all corn-fed as well. It's inescapable and there is substantial proof that as corn production has increased, so has the nation's waistline.

This is a pretty good article if you're interested in reading more. http://st4tic.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/corn-subsidies-how-congress-is-shortchanging-our-health-and-sweetening-things-for-the-food-industry/

But there is nothing better than nice fresh juicy sweet corn, pit roasted and dipped in melted butter hehe. I ate 18 ears at last summers corn roast party and think I'll go for 22 this summer :P

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Go the bread machine route!! It will take a month or so of experiments, but bread makes it worth it!! :star:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I learned during my previous trip to America in September 08 that the bread is nasty.

I've been here on my K1 since April 12th, and like most people in this topic, I've come to accept that I'm just not going to find good tasting store brought bread.

Luckily for me (I guess) I wasn't a massive bread eater to begin with, so the loss hasn't been too big a blow. But I do miss decent sandwiches. My fiance and I tend to buy hamburger and hot dogs buns, which seems to make things tolerable.

Of course, you know how it is: the minute you can't have something, you want it! So I've had a bit of a craving for bread since I got here!

Once I get settled, I'll probably dedicate more effort to finding some sort of solution to my bread problem. At the moment, there just isn't the time. My fiance told me yesterday that there's a local bakery, so we'll aim to give them a try at some point. I might also try finding somewhere online to order from.

Edited by FrostyMist

Brits love to complain :P

It's true though, I'm a cr!p cook and I make pizza bases and bread all the time. I love making bread twists it reminds me of harvest festival in my village.

Like other people said you can control what goes in it, which is really important in salt content! I use considerably less than the recipe calls for and it comes out fine. You can use the quick rise or the natural yeast depending on how long you're gonna be at home and with American cup measurements you don't spend long messing around with scales. Just make sure you use bread (strong) flour.

There are a million recipes on the internet :thumbs:

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.