VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Our check was cashed two days ago, no hardcopy NOA's yet. I wouldn't worry too much, you know that have your case now, so it's just waiting for the biometrics letter now.

Got the NOA hardcopies today, as well as my new social security card with my new name. Yay! Also have been getting touches nearly every day on the online status. Wonder what they are doing to my stuff?

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Got the NOA hardcopies today, as well as my new social security card with my new name. Yay! Also have been getting touches nearly every day on the online status. Wonder what they are doing to my stuff?

Ooo sounds promising!!

Timeline

Hey Guys :)

I found a VERY interesting link that I thought some of you would appreciate regarding the I-864 and 40 quarters of work.

As we all know, as an immigrant the I-864 means that we aren't eligible for some things from the government (like food stamps etc) and that our USC spouse (or former spouse if we divorce **god forbid**) is responsible for us (or whoever else they had co-sponsor) until we (the foreigner) have worked for 40 quarters. There are other circumstances but this is just regarding the 40 quarters issue.

Most of us understand 40 quarters of work to be 10 years, with a quarter of a year being 3 months and so 4 quarters in a year but what most don't know is that our USC spouses quarters of work count towards our "40 quarters" of the I-864 being valid, and our ineligibility for government assistance (not that we WANT assistance but you get my drift).

So, if you and your spouse work for 5 years then that's your "40 quarters" of ineligibility and now the I-864 is void. So, for each year instead of 4 quarters of work just because you're working, you also get to "share" your spouses 4 quarters from that year so each year is 8 work quarters, halving the time it takes to work the 40 quarters! :)

I don't know if that affects anyone but I would think that for those with co-sponsors, a co-sponsor would like hearing that. I think also those guys that are cranking out the kids so their immigrant wives aren't working, should be happy that they're still counting off the quarters. HOWEVER, I should mention that divorce cancels out the "sharing" because it has to be a spouse.

Anywho, here's a link: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/manuals/eaz/sections/CitizenRestricFSP.shtml which explains it all in detail. Hope that makes some of you as happy as it did me. I like the idea of suddenly being a "normal" resident, able to get help if I need it (hopefully not) without causing issues with the I-864 (like when I have kids). Happy note, I've been married since November so my husbands almost taken 2 whole quarters of work off my 40 :D. Hooray!

p.s. I'm posting this in in other places so it gets read :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Hey Guys :)

I found a VERY interesting link that I thought some of you would appreciate regarding the I-864 and 40 quarters of work.

As we all know, as an immigrant the I-864 means that we aren't eligible for some things from the government (like food stamps etc) and that our USC spouse (or former spouse if we divorce **god forbid**) is responsible for us (or whoever else they had co-sponsor) until we (the foreigner) have worked for 40 quarters. There are other circumstances but this is just regarding the 40 quarters issue.

Most of us understand 40 quarters of work to be 10 years, with a quarter of a year being 3 months and so 4 quarters in a year but what most don't know is that our USC spouses quarters of work count towards our "40 quarters" of the I-864 being valid, and our ineligibility for government assistance (not that we WANT assistance but you get my drift).

So, if you and your spouse work for 5 years then that's your "40 quarters" of ineligibility and now the I-864 is void. So, for each year instead of 4 quarters of work just because you're working, you also get to "share" your spouses 4 quarters from that year so each year is 8 work quarters, halving the time it takes to work the 40 quarters! :)

I don't know if that affects anyone but I would think that for those with co-sponsors, a co-sponsor would like hearing that. I think also those guys that are cranking out the kids so their immigrant wives aren't working, should be happy that they're still counting off the quarters. HOWEVER, I should mention that divorce cancels out the "sharing" because it has to be a spouse.

Anywho, here's a link: http://www.dshs.wa.g...estricFSP.shtml which explains it all in detail. Hope that makes some of you as happy as it did me. I like the idea of suddenly being a "normal" resident, able to get help if I need it (hopefully not) without causing issues with the I-864 (like when I have kids). Happy note, I've been married since November so my husbands almost taken 2 whole quarters of work off my 40 :D. Hooray!

p.s. I'm posting this in in other places so it gets read :)

Also I believe that the 40 quarters disappears once you get your citizenship as you then get full benefits as a citizen.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Vanessa,

you are great! I am assembling my docs as we speak and I hope I can send everything tomorrow!

Just one simple (and maybe silly!) question: do I need 6 passport photos total? looks like it but I want to make sure because in the case I need to get new ones (I am assuming they need to be the same :blush:)

Thanks in advance for your help and once again good job on the precious AOS post!

Viviana

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Timeline

Also I believe that the 40 quarters disappears once you get your citizenship as you then get full benefits as a citizen.

Yes. But there are some countries like China where obtaining US citizenship means giving up their home country citizenship so I was excluding all typical I-864 cancellations which are:

post-69339-1269318034204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Vanessa,

you are great! I am assembling my docs as we speak and I hope I can send everything tomorrow!

Just one simple (and maybe silly!) question: do I need 6 passport photos total? looks like it but I want to make sure because in the case I need to get new ones (I am assuming they need to be the same :blush:)

Thanks in advance for your help and once again good job on the precious AOS post!

Viviana

No problem :) Happy to help.

6 passport photos total yes :) 2 for each of AOS, EAD and AP :)

Timeline

Vanessa,

Viviana

Yes, six pictures total, two each of AOS, AP and EAD.

Vanessa - Another one of those times when I am glad to be an Aussie and have dual citizenship. I use to think that I would never pursue naturalization, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Plus, Alex would make an excellent coach for the Civics test :)

Edited by alex and astrid

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

:thumbs:Hello everyone! I FEDEXED our AOS package yesterday and it was just signed for in Chicago....yippee!

I have to thank Vanessa for the wonderful post on the AOS pacakge...very helpful!

I wish you all a speedy process

"The Will of God will not take you where the Grace of God will not protect you!"

Here we go!

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Morocco

I-129F Sent : 4/28/2009

I-129F NOA1 : Dated 4/29/09

Touch : 05/01/09

Touch : 09/02/09

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 09/02/09, received via email 9/03/09 @ 6:30 a.m.!

NVC Received : 09/08/09

NVC Left : 09/09/09 per NVC (called 9/11/09 and they told me it was sent!)

Consulate Received : 9/11/09

Packet: Never received. The consulate was nice enough to send us a letter via email, along with a list of approved doctors and translators. My fiance can easily pick up the forms required when he goes for his medical and translations.

*Update 11/26/09* Medical complete! Picking up the packet was smooth and easy! One week until our interview!! Can't wait!!

Interview Date: 12/03/09

Call from embassy to go pick up his passport with visa!: 12/11/09

Visa in Hand!

POE: Charlotte

Date of Arrival: 12/26/09

Date of Marriage: 02/21/10

AOS package sent: 3/22/2010 via FEDEX

Biometrics letter received: 04/08/2010

Received letter that AOS was transferred to California! 4/19/2010

Biometrics appointment: 4/30/2010

Green Card approved: 5/25/2010

Green Card received: 06/08/2010

Timeline

:thumbs:Hello everyone! I FEDEXED our AOS package yesterday and it was just signed for in Chicago....yippee!

I have to thank Vanessa for the wonderful post on the AOS pacakge...very helpful!

I wish you all a speedy process

Congrats!

Also, to all Aussie gals, I started a new thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/248400-australian-passport-name-change-process/ about the Name Change process for Aussie females on their passports etc. Hope this helps some of us out :)

Timeline

Got my biometrics letter in the mail today, my appointment is April 9th but I am going to find out if I can do a walk in :)

Timeline

Got my biometrics letter in the mail today, my appointment is April 9th but I am going to find out if I can do a walk in :)

Wow, that was nice and quick! Very good to read!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Oh and since I can't find info online about doing a walk in at Van Nuys, I am just going to roll up there tomorrow and try! No harm, right?

Timeline

Oh and since I can't find info online about doing a walk in at Van Nuys, I am just going to roll up there tomorrow and try! No harm, right?

Why the hell not! Take your interview letter and ask them, worst they'll do is say no :) My closest place when I move is over an hour away, so I'm a little wary of doing a walk-in and wasting that drive... oh well, we'll see :)

Timeline

Why the hell not! Take your interview letter and ask them, worst they'll do is say no :) My closest place when I move is over an hour away, so I'm a little wary of doing a walk-in and wasting that drive... oh well, we'll see :)

I am a little bit lucky that the Van Nuys Office is only 10 minutes away, in that respect :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.