VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey everyone! Its been a while since I have been on VJ due to Damo being here for the last month hehe, been enjoying all the time with him I can before we started the AOS paperwork, but low and behold when I went through Vanessa's guide, I already have everything except filling out the forms yay! We have 8 days until our wedding, I cant believe it! Im a happy girl at the moment :).

Anyways on with what I was going to post. @Astrid, the same thing was told to Damo just last Friday about him being able to work while applying for his Social Security card. The Social Security officer went so far as to show us on her computer the link to the official immigration website where it states that K1 visas are eligible to work as soon as they receive the SS number. I saw for myself, the box that had all the K visas listed and which ones were eligible for employment as soon as SS number was received, and yep K1 had ticked in the box yes eligible for work. So where do we go from here, Damo is itching to get to work. I believed her, and I saw on her computer monitor for myself, since she so kindly turned it around to show me, cause Im so one of those people that doesnt believe anything until I see it lol. She said it to us in the same manner that you described your fella saying it to you, with such confidence that it was true. I said to Damo after we left, that some info could be out of date, for so long things on VJ have gone a certain pattern and with the changes that has been going into effect with the immigration sector of the government you never know that this could have been one of the things changed. Alot of info on here has been passed down from one person to the next, some with us following old guides or having to read old posts to get our info. But that is just me speculating. So far 3 of us has been told this by the SS office while applying, so I think it might need to be checked into a little more and maybe needs to be updated on VJ if it turns out to be the case these days that you can work pre EAD. Im going to make some calls tomorrow and try to find out a bit more from someone higher up than the lady we talked to the other day, but the thing I keep going back to is the fact that I saw her screen for myself and there was a definate yes for employment right beside the K1 visa. I'll update as soon as I find anything out. /fingercrossed that this is true. Cheers!

That for sure is very interesting. Can't wait to see what they tell you :)

Edited by alex and astrid

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

That for sure is very interesting. Can't wait to see what they tell you :)

Just did a bit of reading, and think I have figured it out. The SS office told us that you are valid to work on a K1 visa. Here is the thing, your K1 visa is valid for 6 months after the approval, as it states on the visa itself. Now after your K1 visa expires, you will then have to wait for EAD to legally work again after said K1 is expired. So as far as I can tell you can work while your K1 is still valid, but then have to hope that your job loves you so much they will allow hiatus until you get your EAD to restart your current position, lol. Im still gonna call the SS office tomorrow to verify, this is just coming out of the top of my brain, but it sounds right. Let yall know tomorrow what I find out.

Cheers!

Jules

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Timeline

Just did a bit of reading, and think I have figured it out. The SS office told us that you are valid to work on a K1 visa. Here is the thing, your K1 visa is valid for 6 months after the approval, as it states on the visa itself. Now after your K1 visa expires, you will then have to wait for EAD to legally work again after said K1 is expired. So as far as I can tell you can work while your K1 is still valid, but then have to hope that your job loves you so much they will allow hiatus until you get your EAD to restart your current position, lol. Im still gonna call the SS office tomorrow to verify, this is just coming out of the top of my brain, but it sounds right. Let yall know tomorrow what I find out.

Cheers!

Jules

You cannot actually work without the EAD. The issue with the SSA stuff is they don't know anything about immigration.

You will find when you get the SSN card that it will say "valid with DHS Authorisation". Us k1's being "able to work" simply means that we're allowed to get SSN's and apply for an EAD. You used to get an EAD stamp at the POE (JFK apparently still does it because I just read someone got one last week), so you can get the SSN and then work using the EAD stamp in your passport.

You cannot work until you get the EAD. Once you get the greencard you go back and the "valid with.." part is removed. There's a few posts on it which I'll try and locate shortly. A SSA pro is "I Quit" who is probably the one that explained it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It always starts like this. A SSA officer saying we CAN work, someone gets excited about it then posts here and then gets let down.

My NOA's arrived in the mail on Saturday...yay! :D

The NOA's for EAD and AP both have the same Applicant Number (which is the same as the A# on my visa) however the NOA for AOS has a totally different number. Shouldn't the applicant number be the same for all three NOA's? Is everyone else's applicant number the same?

Timeline

My NOA's arrived in the mail on Saturday...yay! :D

The NOA's for EAD and AP both have the same Applicant Number (which is the same as the A# on my visa) however the NOA for AOS has a totally different number. Shouldn't the applicant number be the same for all three NOA's? Is everyone else's applicant number the same?

I actually read this and realised I never checked that on all mine so I just did. Yes. They are all the same. Exactly the same.

Have you checked the paperwork that you filed? Are you sure that you put the right A number in on all the forms? It sounds like on the I-485 you've put it wrong somewhere... OR someone doing the data-entry at USCIS stuffed up. I've read about people sending in correction but I haven't done one myself so all I can tell you is to post a question asking how you would go about getting information on an NOA1 corrected (lots of people do this because of names).

Here's a couple of threads I found:

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/252032-the-second-noa1-and-misspelled-middle-name/

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/195413-wrong-spelled-name-in-immigration-records/

Hope they help :) Good luck :D

I actually read this and realised I never checked that on all mine so I just did. Yes. They are all the same. Exactly the same.

Have you checked the paperwork that you filed? Are you sure that you put the right A number in on all the forms? It sounds like on the I-485 you've put it wrong somewhere... OR someone doing the data-entry at USCIS stuffed up. I've read about people sending in correction but I haven't done one myself so all I can tell you is to post a question asking how you would go about getting information on an NOA1 corrected (lots of people do this because of names).

Here's a couple of threads I found:

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/252032-the-second-noa1-and-misspelled-middle-name/

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/195413-wrong-spelled-name-in-immigration-records/

Hope they help :) Good luck :D

Thanks Vanessa. The A number on my forms were all correct (I just checked). Whoever entered my data at USCIS definitely stuffed up. The number they put on my NOA is totally different from my A number and they haven't accidentally entered my SS number or anything by mistake. I called USCIS and they are going to do an amendment. USCIS must hate me....I was hoping I wouldn't have any dramas this time around.

Timeline

GREEN CARD APPROVED YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Oh my god best morning ever!

Timeline

Lol. Congrats!! Very happy for you!! And of course super jealous :P

Timeline

Lol. Congrats!! Very happy for you!! And of course super jealous :P

lol thankyou Vanessa. I felt the need for huge letters was appropriate in my excitement. I'll calm down now :) Hopefully this means good things for the rest of you lot :)

Wow that seemed to come quick! Congrats Astrid!! :D

That is awesome news congratz!!!

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline

Wow that seemed to come quick! Congrats Astrid!! :D

Yeah it was....43 days from NOA1 to approval. Since when does that happen? I'm keeping a close eye on the letterbox now!

Yeah it was....43 days from NOA1 to approval. Since when does that happen? I'm keeping a close eye on the letterbox now!

I hope mine is nice and quick like yours was.

Timeline

I hope mine is nice and quick like yours was.

I hope so too :)

Timeline

Oh nice!! I just got my biometrics letter today (actually 2 copies.. weird but now I have an original as my "copy" :)

I'm about to call the office (if I can find a number) and see if I can do a walk-in (it's a 3 hour drive) which means we'd be going this friday. I hope we can. I would also REALLY like the opportunity to get out of the house (his mother.. omg.. words cannot describe... actually.. she's the mother in law that's not nice to your face, but not mean either.. pretends like you don't exist... and then leaves NOTES for you in the morning (well actually notes for Tony, seriously I don't exist) telling him to move the snakes etc. It pisses me off. Can't ask in person, needs to leave a snide note. Ugh. Hate.

Ruins my nice biometrics letter day it does.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.