VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You would think they would make the editing tool better with the redesign, but oh well....

Today I found out some interesting information...

Went to the local Social Security Office to change my last name. I had an SSN from when I lived here on an F1 visa. As I was making small talk to the friendly man at the office, I mentioned that the card I currently have, and the new card I will get with both have the DHS Authorization thing on it, though I still have to wait for my EAD. And he says "Oh, you can work though, without the EAD!" Which was met with my "Huh? No you can't, everyone in the K1 community knows that!" His explanation was that K1's are work authorized and can work once they have a social security number, the problem is, finding an employer that will hire you because you don't yet have the green card. He said the K1 was a funny little visa, but yes, I could go ahead and start working.

So yeah...not really sure if he was correct, but it sure was interesting to have him tell me that with such assuredness. Hasn't convinced me to start looking for a job though, as much as I would like to!

The second thing I found out today was also from the man at Social Security, but pretty much backed up what I suspected about getting a Californian Drivers Licence. Harking back to when I was studying on the F1, I went to the DMV and got a Californian ID. I didn't get my licence, but I lot of my F1 friends did. However, unlike a normal ID/licence that a citizen or an LPR would get, ours had an expiry date that matched the date our visas expired, despite having an I-94 that was indefinite. So, mine, for example, expired January 1 this year.

So getting a licence also came up in conversation, and he said that yes, the DMV would give me a licence, but, it would expire the same day my I-94 did, for me that is April 27. Pretty useless really. He also said if I waited for my EAD to come through, they would then put the expiry on my licence to match my EAD expiry. Which I can live with, because it's valid for a year.

So, from that, I am going to wait to get my licence when I get an EAD, and then just renew my licence when I get the GC. Until then, I guess I will just keep driving on my Australian one, and just limit driving to when I really have to.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

So how is everyone "packaging" all this info? do you have 3 separate files within the package?

I bulldog clipped each file together the with a bigger clip the 3 and the cover letter together lol overkill probably :)

Timeline

Went to the local Social Security Office to change my last name. I had an SSN from when I lived here on an F1 visa. As I was making small talk to the friendly man at the office, I mentioned that the card I currently have, and the new card I will get with both have the DHS Authorization thing on it, though I still have to wait for my EAD. And he says "Oh, you can work though, without the EAD!" Which was met with my "Huh? No you can't, everyone in the K1 community knows that!" His explanation was that K1's are work authorized and can work once they have a social security number, the problem is, finding an employer that will hire you because you don't yet have the green card. He said the K1 was a funny little visa, but yes, I could go ahead and start working.

So yeah...not really sure if he was correct, but it sure was interesting to have him tell me that with such assuredness. Hasn't convinced me to start looking for a job though, as much as I would like to!

Wow. Okay this guy is a really dangerous person to be working at the SSA. Did he explain why, if we're allowed to work they're stamped with "requires DHS authorisation"? For the purposes of getting an SSN we are technically "work authorised" but that's only so we can GET an SSN, we're not employable... You are correct that you're not allowed to work. I don't know anyone that would legitimately hire me without an EAD (I say legitimately 'cause there's always cash-in-hand and that's a whole other issue). Oh well. You win the knowledge war :)

Got a surprise in the mail, no notification of approval email, just the AP in the mail :)

Also received the NOA of the AOS Transfer to CA :)

GRATS! Looks like you won't need an interview :D Woot!

I bulldog clipped each file together the with a bigger clip the 3 and the cover letter together lol overkill probably :)

That's what i'll be doing too :D

Timeline

Got my NOA's for AOS, EAD, and AP!!

Timeline

Got my NOA's for AOS, EAD, and AP!!

YAY!!

Timeline

YAY!!

LOL I guess L. Box really does sign for stuff in Chigaco!

Timeline

LOL I guess L. Box really does sign for stuff in Chigaco!

She's a great girl isn't she? :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

OK GUYS, HOW DO I EDIT MY PREVIOUS POST ON THIS POST ?????....this redesign does not seem to give the option....i wanted to remove my names as Alex suggested...

@ Alex and Astrid, yes, when i got my SSN the lady at the office told i can start working with just my SSN but it was out of my understanding on how could you work if the SSN clearly says "Can work with DHS authorization only"

I got these three $2 files from Walmart of different colors, stapled all the papers that needed to be together then bulldog clipped the entire set in each files for my AP, AOS and EAD....then sent all the three files in one envelope... i also pasted a A4 sheet checklist on each file stating what kind of application they were for.....

We got a confirmation SMS for our I-797 on cellphone, however no SMS on EAD and AOS, the check has not been cashed yet.......

Anything that i need to be worried about...

Edited by Ravi_Beth

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline

OK GUYS, HOW DO I EDIT MY PREVIOUS POST ON THIS POST ?????....this redesign does not seem to give the option....i wanted to remove my names as Alex suggested...

@ Alex and Astrid, yes, when i got my SSN the lady at the office told i can start working with just my SSN but it was out of my understanding on how could you work if the SSN clearly says "Can work with DHS authorization only"

I got these three $2 files from Walmart of different colors, stapled all the papers that needed to be together then bulldog clipped the entire set in each files for my AP, AOS and EAD....then sent all the three files in one envelope... i also pasted a A4 sheet checklist on each file stating what kind of application they were for.....

We got a confirmation SMS for our I-797 on cellphone, however no SMS on EAD and AOS, the check has not been cashed yet.......

Anything that i need to be worried about...

You may need to ask a moderator to remove your names from your post.

As for only getting the SMS for the AOS and not the other two...maybe give it another few days and see if you get it. Or maybe it was just a glitch in the system and they have all three, and you'll get the hardcopy NOA's in a little while for all three. Our check only got cashed yesterday, a week after they got our package. So don't worry, the national benefits center takes a little bit longer than CSC or VSC to get things going.

Timeline

Received my EAD Yesterday :D

2 down, on to go :)

YAY! GRATS! :)

Update on me - reserved the moving truck and had mail set up to be forwarded. Very excited to find a place in Iowa so we can FINALLY send off the AOS :D

Oh, and I had the 693 fixed today as well. I signed my name stupidly on it though... guess I need to practice more :P My maiden name came easily /sigh. :D

Timeline

YAY! GRATS! :)

Update on me - reserved the moving truck and had mail set up to be forwarded. Very excited to find a place in Iowa so we can FINALLY send off the AOS :D

Oh, and I had the 693 fixed today as well. I signed my name stupidly on it though... guess I need to practice more :P My maiden name came easily /sigh. :D

Yeah I think to think when I sign....at least my signature didn't change too much, I still kept the same initials!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

They cashed our check on 3/18......it almost took them 2 weeks to cash it...

By the way we got like 8 messages saying I-797 received on our phone....

How many days does it take to receive the NOA after the check is cashed.......????

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline

They cashed our check on 3/18......it almost took them 2 weeks to cash it...

By the way we got like 8 messages saying I-797 received on our phone....

How many days does it take to receive the NOA after the check is cashed.......????

Our check was cashed two days ago, no hardcopy NOA's yet. I wouldn't worry too much, you know that have your case now, so it's just waiting for the biometrics letter now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.