VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have updated the OP with this info:

PAYMENT

It's important when writing the cheque that you write:

"One Thousand Ten and 00/100" or it might be returned.

Here is the USCIS link outlining the cheque writing requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD because if you're like me, it doesn't make sense to write it that way and I wouldn't have written it like that but their wish is our command :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Note 2: There is a huge point of contention on VJ regarding whether or not to send DS-3025 or if you will require form I-693 (immunisations only). The reason for this is, the paperwork clearly states that if you COMPLETED your immunisations PRIOR to your K1 interview in your home country (and thus your medical information is complete in the paperwork you handed in at POE (and subsequently forwarded on)) then only the copy of the DS-3025 is required. HOWEVER some people who assumed their info was complete and sent in the DS-3025 received an RFE requesting they submit a form I-693. Further information is mentioned on this VJ thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101202 So whether you go to the trouble of obtaining one so you don't risk and RFE and thus a slow-down is up to you. Personally I am in the process of calling Civil Surgeons (CS's) in my area to find our their fee. If the fee is reasonable we might do it just so we don't risk the RFE but at the same time i honestly think my form is fine and I have all immunisations filled in, either with dates or "not age appropriate". I'll let you know what I decide and then what the outcome is. Remember though every case is different, no matter how similar they might be.

Here is a the Civil Surgeon "phone book" from the USCIS website: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...office_type=CIV

Here is a VJ thread that lists good CS's and their prices: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...231026&st=0

So I am deciding about this Civil Surgeon thing and have a couple of questions

1. what do I need to be able to get this done? I only have a photocopy of my original medical as original was sent with packet and then handed in at POE.

2. If I choose to not do this what is the chance of RFE?

3. What is the easiest way to explain to CS what I need done as I am sure there will be a "terminology" difference as I notice it all the time here :)

Thanks

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

I have updated the OP with this info:

PAYMENT

It's important when writing the cheque that you write:

"One Thousand Ten and 00/100" or it might be returned.

Here is the USCIS link outlining the cheque writing requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD because if you're like me, it doesn't make sense to write it that way and I wouldn't have written it like that but their wish is our command :)

I just looked at a chq my girl has written and that is how she had done it so must be an American thing, looks strange to me but it works for here I guess.

July 23, 2010 - approved

Timeline

1. what do I need to be able to get this done? I only have a photocopy of my original medical as original was sent with packet and then handed in at POE.

3. What is the easiest way to explain to CS what I need done as I am sure there will be a "terminology" difference as I notice it all the time here :)

Thanks

Jason

1 - You only need the vaccination portion transcribed, so you just show them the page that has what shots you have/have not had.

2 - I am not going to see a CS just because I know I have all my shots. But, yes I am running the risk of an RFE. No one knows what the chance is, it all depends of what adjudicator you get. The rules do say that if you vaccination form is ticked as complete, you do not need to do the supplement. But, people are getting RFE's.

3 - I would say that you just need to tell the CS that you need your vaccination supplement filled in to apply for change of status from a K1 visa. Make sure you print out all the instructions to take with you, as they may try and make you get a full physical, which is not needed if your medical is less than a year old.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Thanks

Jason

Yep what Astrid said :)

1. Take your vaccination sheet with you to the CS. They will transcribe it into the I-693. Can't hurt to take it all with you though if you like.

2. Honestly, 50/50. It seems pretty random. There is a thread i read where there are "drones" looking through the paperwork, not the typical experienced people, because of the workload and they just have a "checklist" and if you don't include what's on their checklist they'll send you an RFE... But then some people don't have issues, others have. Even those that send just the vaccination part of the 693 sometimes get a false RFE for the rest of the medical...

3. It's called "vaccination transcription". Tell them that as a K1 visa holder your medical was done in Australia and that you only need them to transcribe your vaccinations into part 2 (vaccination part only) and sign part 5 (you complete part 1).

Good luck! Mine's coming up soon. I'm going to have it all done in Iowa and we move on the 27th March :D VERY excited!

Yep what Astrid said :)

1. Take your vaccination sheet with you to the CS. They will transcribe it into the I-693. Can't hurt to take it all with you though if you like.

2. Honestly, 50/50. It seems pretty random. There is a thread i read where there are "drones" looking through the paperwork, not the typical experienced people, because of the workload and they just have a "checklist" and if you don't include what's on their checklist they'll send you an RFE... But then some people don't have issues, others have. Even those that send just the vaccination part of the 693 sometimes get a false RFE for the rest of the medical...

3. It's called "vaccination transcription". Tell them that as a K1 visa holder your medical was done in Australia and that you only need them to transcribe your vaccinations into part 2 (vaccination part only) and sign part 5 (you complete part 1).

Good luck! Mine's coming up soon. I'm going to have it all done in Iowa and we move on the 27th March :D VERY excited!

Drone got mine, got an RFE, Went to CS, Got vaccination record transcribed, Sent back, Waiting.......

Timeline
Drone got mine, got an RFE, Went to CS, Got vaccination record transcribed, Sent back, Waiting.......

**fingers crossed** you get an okay response this time. So exciting :D

Timeline

Well, looks like we will be sending away out AOS packet tomorrow! We got all the financial stuff together of Alex's tonight, and I had all the paperwork done. Feels like it shouldn't have been this easy...it was a snap compared to putting together the K1 packet!

Timeline

Okay, so there are the two different addresses to mail AOS to...if you are using USPS Express Mail, do you still send it to the PO box, or because it's Express, send it to the second address?

Or maybe I'll just fedex it, who knows. Not going to send it til this afternoon so still time to decide, lol.

**fingers crossed** you get an okay response this time. So exciting :D

got two emails today;

one saying this;

Current Status: Case Transfered to Another Office for Processing

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

On March 8, 2010, we transferred this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action.

Does that mean i wont get an interview as it being processed on the west coast and i live on the east coast?

also got this today :D

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.
Okay, so there are the two different addresses to mail AOS to...if you are using USPS Express Mail, do you still send it to the PO box, or because it's Express, send it to the second address?

Or maybe I'll just fedex it, who knows. Not going to send it til this afternoon so still time to decide, lol.

if you want it signed for, sent it to the physical address not to the po box

Timeline
got two emails today;

one saying this;

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

On March 8, 2010, we transferred this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action.

Does that mean i wont get an interview as it being processed on the west coast and i live on the east coast? Most of the time, yep :D

also got this today :D

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

YAY!!!

Quick and painless! Good to read :D

Timeline
if you want it signed for, sent it to the physical address not to the po box

Okay cool, I USPS Express Mailed it to the physical address, since it has to be signed for. Thanks! And thats good news about the transfer and EAD :)

So I rang a CS today and they will transcribe for $25 so I am going to get it done next week, figure for that cost it is worth getting it done and hope to make things easier.

Jason

July 23, 2010 - approved

Timeline
So I rang a CS today and they will transcribe for $25 so I am going to get it done next week, figure for that cost it is worth getting it done and hope to make things easier.

Jason

Nice! After my $675 quote today I'm just getting it done here for $50... well that was the "over the phone" quote. We all know how that can change in person :S

Good luck to you :) Remember if he's a good one to post in the good CS thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231026

or if he tries to rip you off, add here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=245997

**fingers crossed** for you

Timeline

UPDATED FORMS

For those that have missed the update on the home page about the update to I-485, I also found the following have been updated:

- I-485 (AOS). The USCIS website says previous editions not accepted. The new form was revised 3rd Dec 2009 Beginning February 25, 2010 most applicants must submit Form I-485 to a USCIS Lockbox facility, depending on the eligibility category under which they are filing, as provided in the form instructions.

- I-693 (Medical). See the special instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD that explain what editions are or are not accepted. Form revised 25 Feb 2010

- I-765 (EAD). Previous edition accepted. Revised 12 Feb 2010.

UPDATED FILING ADDRESS

So finally I'm able to edit the OP (thanks to organiser status) but I hadn't had a chance to check filing addresses etc. The courier address has changed as of December 09 and the OP has now been updated. Here is new "new" address:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I believe anything sent to the former address will still be accepted so people try not to panic if you've sent it there.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.