VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow, Los Angeles County doesn't know what the hell it is doing...I got a letter in the mail today, saying that our marriage licence hasn't been returned to the County Clerk's office yet, and it is about to expire....which is all well and good, except I returned our marriage licence in person to the central office in Norwalk five days after our wedding, and we've had multiple copies of our marriage certificate since then. That was nearly two months ago!! How stupid can you get?? :bonk:

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Just got off the phone with the County Clerk, and they ARE stupid. Let me quote the letter -

"Approximately 30 days have passed since the above licence to marry was issued by the County Clerk and it has not been received for recording by this office.......The marital and property rights of married couples may not be protected unless the licence and certificate of marriage is properly returned to the County Recorder for recording"

The underlining is my own.

So, if you read that, you would infer that your licence was not received and panic just a little bit? But, no. This letter is apparently sent to everyone who is approaching the end of the three-month period of validity of their licence to marry, and is a reminder to get married if you haven't already. But doesn't common sense say that if it is a reminder letter, then it should just say "If you are not already married and you wish to do so, then do it by the time your time is up?" Not "We haven't received your licence for recording?"

What a waste of money, as well as making me panic for no reason!!! The woman I spoke to said they don't even check the system before they send them out. Sheer stupidity in government. Ugh, as if I'm not sick of government processes as it is!

/rant.

Edited by alex and astrid

Timeline

Just got off the phone with the County Clerk, and they ARE stupid. Let me quote the letter -

"Approximately 30 days have passed since the above licence to marry was issued by the County Clerk and it has not been received for recording by this office.......The marital and property rights of married couples may not be protected unless the licence and certificate of marriage is properly returned to the County Recorder for recording"

So, if you read that, you would infer that your licence was not received and panic just a little bit? But, no. This letter is apparently sent to everyone who is approaching the end of the three-month period of validity of their licence to marry, and is a reminder to get married if you haven't already. But doesn't common sense say that if it is a reminder letter, then it should just say "If you are not already married and you wish to do so, then do it by the time your time is up?" Not "We haven't received your licence for recording?"

What a waste of money, as well as making me panic for no reason!!! The woman I spoke to said they don't even check the system before they send them out. Sheer stupidity in government. Ugh, as if I'm not sick of government processes as it is!

/rant.

I'm with you. The wording of the letter COMPLETELY needs to be fixed. I would have been freaking out as well. Grr. At least it's sorted out but I feel like you should complain to someone about the wording or something... But being the government I doubt it'll do anything... /sigh.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

/rant.

Yer missing a great IT contracting opportunity - DIG IN THERE, get the contract, and FIX that system ;) You could prolly show ROI on 8 months worth of labour and postage, you betcha !

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Photos... a drama to get? really?? Who'd've thought it!

When filing AOS we all know if you do AP, EAD and AOS that you need 6 photos. I only had 2 left over from my Aussie pics (I honestly don't look any different since they were taken) so needed to have the pics taken. I wanted them all to look the same so i was going to have them all done by a "photo place".

First I tried Walmart and told her I needed 6 passport pics but the girls camera was broken. She referred me to Walgreens and told me to make sure to mention her price of $9.99 'cause it was cheaper and they should match it. We arrived at Walgreens and were told their price was $8.45 INC tax. So it was cheaper. Here's the kicker, that price is for TWO photos. Not the 6 I thought it was for (same for Walmart too). So to get 6 photos it would have cost $8.45x3=$25.35!! Are you kidding? 4 pics in Aus using a photo booth thingy cost me $10.. and that's for US size too!

So, Tony told me just to get them. We needed them. So i stood and had my pic taken (awful compared to the awesome photo booth in Aus) and THEN we get asked whether we need them immediately.. well duh really but we told her yes we do, that we live 40 mins away and we won't be able to be back to collect them for almost a week otherwise and that was too long to wait. She told us that a customer was a printing a large number of photos from a CD and it would take a while so they wouldn't have my pics that day (morons) so I cancelled and they deleted the pic.

We considered going to the only other Walmart but Tony mentioned that his friend had a "photo printer" and that perhaps we should try that first. I remembered a previous post where I'd recommended this site: http://www.epassportphoto.com/ but I hadn't used it, so i thought "what's the harm?".

And there (so far) hasn't been any harm. I scanned one of my remaining photos (or you can take a pic of yourself and it gives you guidelines for that) and uploaded it to the site. It has some guide boxes for where your top of head and chin should be (for sizing) and also restricts to sizing to 2"x2". Bearing in mind that you can do this for other countries passport photos but I did it for the US ones (might do it for my Aus passport too!!).

After I'd uploaded my photo it did it's thing and put 5 photos onto a standard photo size sheet 6"x4" (the 6th image was it's website address) and then gave me some options. I could save the photo file to my computer, or upload the photo. I uploaded the image to Snapfish and was able to either have the image mailed (took a week or so) or I could have it sent to a walmart or other place nearby. So, I sent it to Walmart, paid 19c per photo (the place you send it to determines the price). I also printed some wedding pics that I wanted to go in a frame so 10 photos later, $1.90 and my husband picking them up after work, my photos were great! Totally fine, free to do through the site and then whatever the printing fee is. I now have extra photos if I need them or to send to family. I now have a pic I'm happy to have on my card for 2 years!

A HUGE difference between $0.38 for 10 passport photos or $25.35 for 6!

Hope you guys find this helpful :)

I took my own picture and used www.epassportphoto.com for my photos too because I refuse to pay $7.99 for two photos. My photo wouldn't upload the first two times I tried it. Third time lucky and it worked perfectly.

Hi Vanessa

This info was so sorely needed , thank you so much for helping and sharing ! I know you dont have any kids that you are applying for adjustment , but I am applying and my two kids who are on K2 visa's. What I wanted to know is if you know when we send my cheque for $1010.00 , the kids are apparently $600 each , do we include that in my cheque making it $2210 or do we send seperate cheques for $600 for each child ? Thank for the help :)

Hi All :)

I have started this thread in this specific sub-forum because I will be using Australian colloquialisms (sayings) and spelling. I don't know whether being from Australia will make any difference,.. whether it be my documents don't need to be translated, or if our people fill in stuff differently (like the medical - explained below).

I started the thread itself though, because can't find any one central page that has ALL the documents for AOS, EAD and AP listed. This list relates to me and my case, but it is also the BASIC list because my case is simple, i.e. I don't have any kids or anything else remotely difficult to worry about. I didn't get any RFE's while doing K1 (here's my K1 thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206016 ), and I'm aiming for the same this time around too. I have read and re-read the instructions several times. I read every line, and not just stuff related to me, just in case it's got a little note (this actually happened on one form) that might affect me. This list is IN NO WAY a substitute for you also reading through the forms, but I hope that it helps you get an idea of when you should start sourcing things (like paperwork for the affidavit of support) and making sure you have everything you need before you get to your applying "deadline".

On that note, there is no "deadline" for applying for AOS, as long as you marry within 90 days of arriving on your K1 visa. However it is recommended that you apply before your I-94 expires as some people have experienced issues with ICE (not deportation, just hassles and on 2 occasions I've read about, being locked up until a judge tells the ICE person they were wrong and being forced to pay fees as well as immediate AOS), but just as many (if not more) have had no issues and applied for AOS years after their I-94 expires. My main reasons for applying ASAP is because I want to work and I personally don't like not being "sure" of my status. Also, if there is a period of 180 days between your I-94 and the date your AOS is processed, you MAY encounter a ban on trying to re-enter the US if you leave and try and use the AP document. For that reason, try and apply for AOS well before 180 days after your I-94 expires... just to be safe.

Also, there is currently only one fee payable, being $1,010.00 for the AOS, EAD & AP. In July 2007 the fee for AOS changed and the rules altered so that if you send the EAD and AP at the same time as AOS (or while it's pending) the fee for EAD and AP are waived. Whether you apply for EAD and AP at the same time as AOS the fee remains the same and whether you think you need them or not, as the fee is waived, it's always better to have than not have, "just in case".

So here we go :)

Definition of terms:

I-94# - Is the admission/departure number on the I-94 card (full image here: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/...mmigration1.jpg )

A# number - Alien number - can sometimes be found on your visa under "annotation" starting with A0 then 8 digits. Also found on your NOA2 above the beneficiaries name (image here: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/...F-NOAs/NOA2.jpg )

AOS - Adjustment of Status - Applied for after entering the US on a K1 visa and marrying within 90 days. Changes status to "conditional permanent resident" and you will be sent a green card. This process takes around 90 days however it can take MUCH longer.

AP - Advanced Parole - Allows you to re-enter the USA while your AOS is pending. You are allowed to leave whenever you want, but doing so without the AP document (or green card) means you will not be able to re-enter. Leaving without it also results in your case being considered "abandoned".

CO - Consular Officer - In this thread related to the person actually processing my documents

EAD - Employment Authorisation Document - Allows you to work whilst the AOS is being processed, as long as you have a SSN of course. Once you received your GC your EAD is no longer needed

GC - Green card - short-form for green card so I don't have to keep typing it :)

IO - Interviewing Officer - The person who will interview me (if needed). Apparently not every case requires an interview. Lets see if I can be one of the few who don't need one :D

Non-Immigrant Visa Number - This is the RED number found on your visa (image here: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/...after_entry.jpg )

RFE - Request for further information - Received if something you mailed in is incomplete or missing. It doesn't cancel your case, just slows things down a fair bit, so doing everything to prevent getting one is your aim :D

First things first. VJ does have guides:

VJ AOS Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

VJ EAD Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3ead

And also example forms:

Example forms: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

The guides suggest doing a cover letter. Personally I'm doing a cover letter for each separate case (AOS, EAD and AP). I have read that the CO's don't tend to read the cover letters so really why bother, BUT I'm not doing it for them so much as for me. Filing so many documents means a lot of stuff to remember and I also think it looks neater and prettier. Also, while reading through the instructions I go through and fill in the cover letter with the attachments needed so I don't forget anything.

The USCIS has actually put together their OWN page of tips for putting together a package for mailing: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD I haven't decided if I'm going to hole punch yet or just bulldog clip as it seems that while it's appreciated it doesn't change anything so if I have a hole-punch available... maybe.

I ALWAYS go to the USCIS website to obtain forms: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD as this way you always make sure you have the most up-to-date form. Also, remember to check the filing location as it may have changed since the form was made. To do this, always make sure you go to the main form page (not the pdf, the place that links you the .pdf) such as this for AOS: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD and line four says "Where to file". In this case it tells you it depends on the category you are applying under, on other forms it might say "check the form" or "check the instructions".

As stated on each form, originals are only required when it specifically says "original" (like the forms with official signatures) otherwise copies are sufficient.

--AOS--

- G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance **See Note 1**

- Payment in the amount of $1,010.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

- I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated #####

- Copy of birth certificate

- Copy of K1 visa in passport

- 2 passport photos (US passport size) - name and alien number printed lightly on back in pencil or felt pen

- Copy DS-3025 – Vaccination record (completed), dated ##### **See Note 2**

- G-325A - Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachments (1 copy as of July 2009)

- I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, completed by #####

o Copy Federal income tax return, including W-2, Form 1099s & Schedule for 2009 tax year

o Copy Federal income tax return, including W-2, Form 1099s & Schedule for 2008 tax year

o Copy Federal income tax return, including W-2, Form 1099s & Schedule for 2007 tax year

o Letter from #####’s employer (optional)

o Pay stub(s) from the most recent six months for ##### (optional)

- Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated ##### (front & back)

- Copy of Marriage certificate, dated ##### (front & back)

- Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

The two items listed below are on the VJ AOS Guide, however NOWHERE on the forms, or their instructions is it mentioned that these items are required. These items only serve as additional information. You are required to bring your passport to the interview (if you have an interview) so perhaps by mailing this information you might not need to have one. Ultimately more info is better than less info (within reason of course) so it can't hurt. Personally I'll be including them in my parcel (in my attempt to avoid an interview :P) but it makes sense that they're not needed as your Alien number is your identifier now (where with the K1 your passport number and then case number were).

- Photocopy of passport biographical details page

- Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated #####

Note 1: This form is now available that requests that you receive and email and text letting you know your application has been received http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Note 2: There is a huge point of contention on VJ regarding whether or not to send DS-3025 or if you will require form I-693 (immunisations only). The reason for this is, the paperwork clearly states that if you COMPLETED your immunisations PRIOR to your K1 interview in your home country (and thus your medical information is complete in the paperwork you handed in at POE (and subsequently forwarded on)) then only the copy of the DS-3025 is required. HOWEVER some people who assumed their info was complete and sent in the DS-3025 received an RFE requesting they submit a form I-693. Further information is mentioned on this VJ thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101202 So whether you go to the trouble of obtaining one so you don't risk and RFE and thus a slow-down is up to you. Personally I am in the process of calling Civil Surgeons (CS's) in my area to find our their fee. If the fee is reasonable we might do it just so we don't risk the RFE but at the same time i honestly think my form is fine and I have all immunisations filled in, either with dates or "not age appropriate". I'll let you know what I decide and then what the outcome is. Remember though every case is different, no matter how similar they might be.

Here is a the Civil Surgeon "phone book" from the USCIS website: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...office_type=CIV

Here is a VJ thread that lists good CS's and their prices: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...231026&st=0

--EAD--

- G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

- I-765 - Application for Employment Authorisation **See Note 1**

- 2 passport photos (US passport size) - name and alien number printed lightly on back in pencil or felt pen

- Photocopy of passport biographical details page **See Note 2**

As we're applying together with the AOS then the following isn't REQUIRED, however if you choose to include it, it's up to you, like i said before, more info is better than less info

- Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

- Copy of Marriage certificate (to show name change) **See Note 3**

Note 1: Being adjustment applicant's, we're under category c9. You will see there's also a category for K1 and K3 visas (a6) but this is for when you're not applying at the same time as the AOS.

Note 2: It actually says "If no prior EAD has been issued, you must submit a copy of a Federal Government-issued identity document such as a passport..." as well as some other examples but personally I think the passport is the easiest one.

Note 3: The next issue for me (being female, married and changing my name) is my passport is still in my maiden name. For that reason it seems to make sense to include a copy of my marriage licence. Although these things are included with the AOS application, they can always shred multiple copies :D

--AP--

- G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

- I-131 - Application for Travel Document (Advanced Parole)

- Copy of K1 visa (to show present status)

- Photocopy of passport biographical details page **See Note 1**

As with the EAD, this isn't REQUIRED but I will probably include it because the AP form doesn't actually have a space for "prior name":

- Copy of Marriage certificate (to show name change)

Note 1: It actually says "copy of an official photo identification document showing your name, photo, and date of birth". Like with the EAD example, passport is easiest I think :)

General

An important thing to remember is if you change your address at ANY stage while you are an LPR (or their sponsor) you are required to change your address within 30 days of moving. There are penalties for not doing so. The USCIS has an online change of address service but you STILL need to actually post a form to them. Here's the site: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa . The reason for the paper form is so it's changed on the masterbase.

The current postal details for these forms (as of 3 Dec 09 ) is:

File at:

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For courier/express delivery:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I, like most, will be submitting my forms by express mail so I'll use the bottom address :)

PAYMENT

It's important when writing the cheque that you write:

"One Thousand Ten and 00/100" or it might be returned.

Here is the USCIS link outlining the cheque writing requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD because if you're like me, it doesn't make sense to write it that way and I wouldn't have written it like that but their wish is our command :)

Hope some of you find this useful :D If I've forgotten something, or stuff doesn't make sense, please let me know :D

**Edited to add further definitions - 27 Feb 2010

**Address for filing changed and fixed on here - 10 March 2010

Timeline

Scored a touch on my AOS papers today!! No change in status though.....

Also, today was the first time that I drove all by myself in the US! Alex is at a conference in Cancun for the next four days, so I dropped him off at LAX. Scary shizz, I tell you. But, I did it!! Much more confident now :)

Timeline

Hi Vanessa

This info was so sorely needed , thank you so much for helping and sharing ! I know you dont have any kids that you are applying for adjustment , but I am applying and my two kids who are on K2 visa's. What I wanted to know is if you know when we send my cheque for $1010.00 , the kids are apparently $600 each , do we include that in my cheque making it $2210 or do we send seperate cheques for $600 for each child ? Thank for the help :)

I personally would send separate cheques for the kids so you can track them separately and also because if there's something wrong with their fee (like maybe you don't need to pay it) they would send YOURS back too, but if it's separate then they'd just send the kids back... but that's just me. I'm sure that lumping it all together would be fine too... so I guess it's up to you :D

Timeline

Scored a touch on my AOS papers today!! No change in status though.....

Also, today was the first time that I drove all by myself in the US! Alex is at a conference in Cancun for the next four days, so I dropped him off at LAX. Scary shizz, I tell you. But, I did it!! Much more confident now :)

Congrats! Esp for navigating LAX I hear it's awful.

My case is in "initial review" and I can FINALLY track my case online. I signed up for text updates because I check my phone much more often :D Very happy it's all moving along. Keep us updated on you. At least you've done biometrics. I hope to get my letter soon. I also contacted my doctor in Australia yesterday to try and arrange a copy of my medical to be sent.. "just in case". I talk to my mum tonight so I'll find out if they're okay with doing it. I really hope so, otherwise at the very least I know that if I DO get a medical RFE (please please please no) that that avenue won't work and I don't waste time on it. I should also look for my senator/congressmans details "just in case" so it's a simple thing.

On a slightly off-topic note, my mother's sending me my easter package soon (she was waiting for my wedding announcement in the paper) and she's also sending chocies and an A4 folder! :D That makes me happy because my folder here is almost busting at the seams. It was almost too big when I started the K1 process and now it's woefully too small :P

Timeline

Congrats! Esp for navigating LAX I hear it's awful.

My case is in "initial review" and I can FINALLY track my case online. I signed up for text updates because I check my phone much more often :D Very happy it's all moving along. Keep us updated on you. At least you've done biometrics. I hope to get my letter soon. I also contacted my doctor in Australia yesterday to try and arrange a copy of my medical to be sent.. "just in case". I talk to my mum tonight so I'll find out if they're okay with doing it. I really hope so, otherwise at the very least I know that if I DO get a medical RFE (please please please no) that that avenue won't work and I don't waste time on it. I should also look for my senator/congressmans details "just in case" so it's a simple thing.

On a slightly off-topic note, my mother's sending me my easter package soon (she was waiting for my wedding announcement in the paper) and she's also sending chocies and an A4 folder! :D That makes me happy because my folder here is almost busting at the seams. It was almost too big when I started the K1 process and now it's woefully too small :P

Thats a good idea to get a copy of the medical if you can....never can be too prepared, can we? I was able to make photocopies of my entire medical packet before I mailed it off to Sydney, if I got the medical RFE, heaven forbid, that would suffice too, wouldn't it? Even though it's not the 'original?' Though I think I may be okay, I have gotten more than ten touches on my file, you would think that if they were going to RFE me, they would have.

Thats so cool about the wedding announcement...I think if Mum and Dad still lived in Shepparton, they would have done one, though now they are in Brissie, maybe not. But, it would be nice to have a little thing in the paper :)

Timeline

Thats a good idea to get a copy of the medical if you can....never can be too prepared, can we? I was able to make photocopies of my entire medical packet before I mailed it off to Sydney, if I got the medical RFE, heaven forbid, that would suffice too, wouldn't it? Even though it's not the 'original?' Though I think I may be okay, I have gotten more than ten touches on my file, you would think that if they were going to RFE me, they would have.

Thats so cool about the wedding announcement...I think if Mum and Dad still lived in Shepparton, they would have done one, though now they are in Brissie, maybe not. But, it would be nice to have a little thing in the paper :)

That's all I'm asking for. A copy because ours were sealed in an envelope and we weren't given copies of the whole medical, just he immunisation part.

Timeline

That's all I'm asking for. A copy because ours were sealed in an envelope and we weren't given copies of the whole medical, just he immunisation part.

See, this is when I wish that all doctors were the same, and just gave us our whole medical when they give us the sealed one. Would save a whole lot of bother!!

Timeline

Another touch today!! I wonder what it means?

You would think they would make the editing tool better with the redesign, but oh well....

Today I found out some interesting information...

Went to the local Social Security Office to change my last name. I had an SSN from when I lived here on an F1 visa. As I was making small talk to the friendly man at the office, I mentioned that the card I currently have, and the new card I will get with both have the DHS Authorization thing on it, though I still have to wait for my EAD. And he says "Oh, you can work though, without the EAD!" Which was met with my "Huh? No you can't, everyone in the K1 community knows that!" His explanation was that K1's are work authorized and can work once they have a social security number, the problem is, finding an employer that will hire you because you don't yet have the green card. He said the K1 was a funny little visa, but yes, I could go ahead and start working.

So yeah...not really sure if he was correct, but it sure was interesting to have him tell me that with such assuredness. Hasn't convinced me to start looking for a job though, as much as I would like to!

The second thing I found out today was also from the man at Social Security, but pretty much backed up what I suspected about getting a Californian Drivers Licence. Harking back to when I was studying on the F1, I went to the DMV and got a Californian ID. I didn't get my licence, but I lot of my F1 friends did. However, unlike a normal ID/licence that a citizen or an LPR would get, ours had an expiry date that matched the date our visas expired, despite having an I-94 that was indefinite. So, mine, for example, expired January 1 this year.

So getting a licence also came up in conversation, and he said that yes, the DMV would give me a licence, but, it would expire the same day my I-94 did, for me that is April 27. Pretty useless really. He also said if I waited for my EAD to come through, they would then put the expiry on my licence to match my EAD expiry. Which I can live with, because it's valid for a year.

So, from that, I am going to wait to get my licence when I get an EAD, and then just renew my licence when I get the GC. Until then, I guess I will just keep driving on my Australian one, and just limit driving to when I really have to.

Hey everyone! Its been a while since I have been on VJ due to Damo being here for the last month hehe, been enjoying all the time with him I can before we started the AOS paperwork, but low and behold when I went through Vanessa's guide, I already have everything except filling out the forms yay! We have 8 days until our wedding, I cant believe it! Im a happy girl at the moment :).

Anyways on with what I was going to post. @Astrid, the same thing was told to Damo just last Friday about him being able to work while applying for his Social Security card. The Social Security officer went so far as to show us on her computer the link to the official immigration website where it states that K1 visas are eligible to work as soon as they receive the SS number. I saw for myself, the box that had all the K visas listed and which ones were eligible for employment as soon as SS number was received, and yep K1 had ticked in the box yes eligible for work. So where do we go from here, Damo is itching to get to work. I believed her, and I saw on her computer monitor for myself, since she so kindly turned it around to show me, cause Im so one of those people that doesnt believe anything until I see it lol. She said it to us in the same manner that you described your fella saying it to you, with such confidence that it was true. I said to Damo after we left, that some info could be out of date, for so long things on VJ have gone a certain pattern and with the changes that has been going into effect with the immigration sector of the government you never know that this could have been one of the things changed. Alot of info on here has been passed down from one person to the next, some with us following old guides or having to read old posts to get our info. But that is just me speculating. So far 3 of us has been told this by the SS office while applying, so I think it might need to be checked into a little more and maybe needs to be updated on VJ if it turns out to be the case these days that you can work pre EAD. Im going to make some calls tomorrow and try to find out a bit more from someone higher up than the lady we talked to the other day, but the thing I keep going back to is the fact that I saw her screen for myself and there was a definate yes for employment right beside the K1 visa. I'll update as soon as I find anything out. /fingercrossed that this is true. Cheers!

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.