VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh nice!! I just got my biometrics letter today (actually 2 copies.. weird but now I have an original as my "copy" :)

I'm about to call the office and see if I can do a walk-in (it's a 3 hour drive) which means we'd be going this friday. I hope we can. I would also REALLY like the opportunity to get out of the house (his mother.. omg.. words cannot describe... actually.. she's the mother in law that's not nice to your face, but not mean either.. pretends like you don't exist... and then leaves NOTES for you in the morning (well actually notes for Tony, seriously I don't exist) telling him to move the snakes etc. It pisses me off. Can't ask in person, needs to leave a snide note. Ugh. Hate.

Ruins my nice biometrics letter day it does.

I think i got two bio letter too...i cant remember now and im not home to check.

Btw, you should sick the snakes on your MIL...that will learn her!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

I think i got two bio letter too...i cant remember now and im not home to check.

Btw, you should sick the snakes on your MIL...that will learn her!

Lol. There's some mean things I could say involving my fear for the snakes and her fat #######.. but I'll try and refrain :P

As for the Des Moines office: I should be a detective. I located the number (mwah hahahahaaa) and spoke to a lady there who told me that they prefer that you change the appointment but acknowledged that sometimes they allow walk-ins. She said worst case scenario she would ask that I wait till the end of the day (if it's a busy day) but that she would still do me that day. That makes me happy. I didn't want to try and organise a day off for Tony who's trying to change jobs at the moment (so who knows how hard that will be) and now it gives me something to do this Friday!! Woot woot :D

Ugh. New whinge topic. Just called a vehicle insurance company to ask about driving here on my aussie licence and he said unless I'm a resident they won't insure me. pricks. So no driving for Vanessa. That's fricken retarded. There's not even an addendum or something I can add for "international drivers". Morons. Fine. Whatever. I'll just keep practicing in Tony's little town...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

okay, i got my Biometrics appointment letter today and it is on 5/18 :blink:, that is like another 25 days.......i read that Astrid did a walkin and got her bio done..(congrats on your GC :thumbs: )

Can i do that....what are you going to do Vanessa ??? are you going to try and walk-in for your bio's..

What is the number that you called....???

Edited by Ravi_Beth

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline

Lol. There's some mean things I could say involving my fear for the snakes and her fat #######.. but I'll try and refrain :P

As for the Des Moines office: I should be a detective. I located the number (mwah hahahahaaa) and spoke to a lady there who told me that they prefer that you change the appointment but acknowledged that sometimes they allow walk-ins. She said worst case scenario she would ask that I wait till the end of the day (if it's a busy day) but that she would still do me that day. That makes me happy. I didn't want to try and organise a day off for Tony who's trying to change jobs at the moment (so who knows how hard that will be) and now it gives me something to do this Friday!! Woot woot :D

Ugh. New whinge topic. Just called a vehicle insurance company to ask about driving here on my aussie licence and he said unless I'm a resident they won't insure me. pricks. So no driving for Vanessa. That's fricken retarded. There's not even an addendum or something I can add for "international drivers". Morons. Fine. Whatever. I'll just keep practicing in Tony's little town...

Insurance can be hit and miss with international drivers or even new residents.....Alex is with Geico and they added me with no problem whatsoever, but, others on this board that are with Geico as well were denied, or had their premiums shoot up. It's ridiculous, you would think that they would insure you, just so they could make money.......Good news on the biometics though!

okay, i got my Biometrics appointment letter today and it is on 5/18 :blink:, that is like another 25 days.......i read that Astrid did a walkin and got her bio done..(congrats on your GC :thumbs: )

Can i do that....what are you going to do Vanessa ??? are you going to try and walk-in for your bio's..

Thanks!.....You can try a walk in and just go to the ASC....if you are lucky enough to live close to the office then you can just go and hope for the best. Thats what I did, because the office is only 10 minutes from me. I think Vanessa called the office directly, though I am also sure she can give you pointers on how to find the number for your office.

Which office are you meant to go to?

Timeline

Thanks!.....You can try a walk in and just go to the ASC....if you are lucky enough to live close to the office then you can just go and hope for the best. Thats what I did, because the office is only 10 minutes from me. I think Vanessa called the office directly, though I am also sure she can give you pointers on how to find the number for your office.

Which office are you meant to go to?

Astrid is right. I did a bit of detective work. There might be a different way to do it but googling it directly didn't help. If you tell me what office you're at I can try the same trick I did with mine (trust me when I say it wasn't underhanded or illegal).

As for walk-in in general yes I'm going to try that. Like you I got my letter today and mines in 3 weeks! the 21st May which is AGES for my file to be sitting around doing nothing... so Tony has agreed to drive me down there. Now that I have that ladies "okay" about doing walk-ins (even though they don't like it) I don't feel so bad about it. I will sit around all damn day if I have too. A couple of hours (or several :P) won't kill me. We need to talk about what time we're leaving in the morning. I want to get there around when they open 10am sounds like a nice number. Not too early that they're not set up, but early enough that there might be a couple of appointments but not too many.... I'll let you all know how I go.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Wow! Thankx so much "Vanessa&Tony" for posting this in-depth post about AOS. This will help me a great deal, as I am in the process of looking up documents for AOS for my fiance once we enter into the U.S.

Thank You,

Nishi

Nishi and Yashita's K-1 Journey AOS Timeline

Engaged: 11-01-2009AOS Documents Sent: 07/26/2010
Service Center: California Service Center AOS Documents Received: 07/27/2010
Consulate: Chennai, India Biometrics Taken: 09/09/2010
I-129F Sent: 12/07/2009 Interview Date: 11/02/2010
I-129F NOA 1: 12/08/2009 Interview Passed: My wife will be getting her green card in two to three weeks!!
I-129F NOA 2: 03/16/2010 (Approved) Green Card Received: 11/10/2010

NVC Received: 03/17/2010
Fiance Received Papers from Consulate: 03/26/2010
Fiancee Medical: 03/31/2010
Fiancee Interview: 04/26/2010 (K-1 Visa Approved)
Fiance Received Paperwork
from Consulate: 04/29/2010 (k-1 Visa in Hand)
Departure from INDIA: 06/17/2010
Arrive into the U.S.A: 06/17/2010 (Detroit POE)
Get Married (U.S.A): 07/07/2010
Received SSN: 07/12/2010

Remove Conditions on Residency

Service Center: California Service Center
Mailed I-751 Package: 08/07/2012
USCIS Received Package: 08/09/2012
Check Cashed ($590): 08/13/2012
I-751 Receipt Date: 08/09/2012
Received NOA1: 08/16/2012

Biometrics: 09/10/2012

ASC Appointment Notice: 09/20/2012
RFE Received: 03/27/2013

RFE Responded: 04/08/2013
Approval Received: 04/16/2013

10 Year Green Card Received: 06/19/2013

N400 - Application for Naturalization
N400 and associated documents mailed to Phoenix, AZ location: 06/25/2016

Updated from Biometrics to Interview - 12/21/2016

Interview Date - 01/19/2017

N-400 Interview Taken and Approved - 01/19/2017

Oath Ceremony - 01/26/2017

Received Naturalization Certificate - 01/26/2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oh nice!! I just got my biometrics letter today (actually 2 copies.. weird but now I have an original as my "copy" :)

I'm about to call the office (if I can find a number) and see if I can do a walk-in (it's a 3 hour drive) which means we'd be going this friday. I hope we can. I would also REALLY like the opportunity to get out of the house (his mother.. omg.. words cannot describe... actually.. she's the mother in law that's not nice to your face, but not mean either.. pretends like you don't exist... and then leaves NOTES for you in the morning (well actually notes for Tony, seriously I don't exist) telling him to move the snakes etc. It pisses me off. Can't ask in person, needs to leave a snide note. Ugh. Hate.

Ruins my nice biometrics letter day it does.

lol. Had to butt in vanessa... Im still here awaiting my letter. Its like they for got me. Im glad u found the number and hope for the best on your visit tommorrow. Keep me posted pretty pretty please :hehe:

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

lol. Had to butt in vanessa... Im still here awaiting my letter. Its like they for got me. Im glad u found the number and hope for the best on your visit tommorrow. Keep me posted pretty pretty please :hehe:

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) I'm sure yours isn't too far away. Mine was a big surprise because I didn't realise the "touch" on the 23rd was them sending the biometrics letter... I also honestly expected them to list it as an "RFE" or something like other people had a while back. Oh well. Woot!

As usual I will post an in-depth post about my experience (whether good or bad but PLEASE PLEASE good :P). Tony and I are hoping that it will be quick in which case we can go and "explore" Des Moines and if his friend is able to come then the three of us may go to a movie. Hmmm reminds me I need to see what's out and what's good :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Got my "Welome to America" letter today :dance:

I was starting to convince myself that USCIS had stuffed up and I wasn't really approved, so this calms me down :)

I hope everyone else hears good news soon!

Timeline

I was starting to convince myself that USCIS had stuffed up and I wasn't really approved, so this calms me down :)

Grats!! I'm looking forward to my biometrics tomorrow but that's all the news I have there :)

I've had touches all week (but not yet today) and I'm still waiting to get my biometrics letter. They amended the incorrect A number on my NOA as well. I'm hanging out for the mail man to get here....I hope he has my biometrics letter today.

Grats on the GC :)

not been around much, just catching up now, moved it out out own home :) and have 2 new kittens we adopted :)

what has me worried now seeing yours was done so fast is whats happening to my GC app? mine was transfered a month before yours and the only touch since is the change of address :(

Timeline

Grats on the GC :)

not been around much, just catching up now, moved it out out own home :) and have 2 new kittens we adopted :)

what has me worried now seeing yours was done so fast is whats happening to my GC app? mine was transfered a month before yours and the only touch since is the change of address :(

Yay for kittens and new houses!!

I really don't know what is going on at CSC...I feel bad because though I'm so happy to be an LPR now, I don't know why mine was approved when people who are waaaaay ahead of me are still waiting. It doesn't make sense. I really hope you get some good news soon!

Timeline

I don't have the patience or the calmness need to type this in a rational matter, so be warned, there is going to be a lot of swearing in this post.

THE CA DMV IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SH!T GOVERNMENT AGENCY WHICH DOES NOT KNOW IT'S HEAD FROM IT'S #######.

The CA DMV website says the following can be used to prove legal presence and obtain a licence -

"Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition) must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming"

I got that letter in the mail yesterday, so I went into the DMV today armed with all the paperwork and ID's that I needed - My QLD licence, my now-expired CA ID card, the NOA Approval/Welcome Notice, my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Forgot my passport but figured it was okay, since all the stuff in it is voided now, all it would serve as is another form of ID. Waited more than an hour to be called to a window, told the woman that I was just granted permanent residency and would like to get a permit to drive. She asked for my green card, I told her I didn't have it, but had my welcome notice like the website said I could use. FLAT OUT REFUSAL. Why? Because the Welcome Notice does not have my picture and date of birth on it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I have every other scrap of evidence to prove that is me....oh yeah, guess a piece of paper from THE U.S FEDERAL GOVERNMENT isn't good enough! I asked her why the website says otherwise, and she said that it was wrong, and if I wanted it changed, to call Sacramento. But that wasn't even the best part - She then advised me to get my I-94 extended, so then I could get a permit under that! I just stood there dumbfounded. That doesn't even make sense! I'm a permament resident now, I don't NEED an I-94! And since when does USCIS extend I-94's just because? And, even if I did get an extension, the DMV says you need to be able to prove more than 60 days of legal presence, why would I bother getting something thats only valid for that long?

So, before I started yelling at her for being stupid, I turned heel and walked out. I was literally shaking with anger.

I walked to Alex's work, since it was just down the road from the DMV and told him about it. He told me to call the information line to confirm if I was right or wrong. Waiting on hold, told another woman what happened, she put me back on hold to ask her supervisor. Gets back on the line and tells me that yes, I do need the card. I read back to her what the website says, and ask why that is there. She doesn't have an answer for me. So I continue by saying that it's not fair that people that are in the same position as me are trying to do the right thing and get a licence (since I think I now quality as a california resident and apparently have ten days to get a licence), yet the DMV can't get their act together, and that doesn't instill much confidence - the site needs to be updated so we don't get our time wasted. And I just get silence on the other end. I just lost it and loudly said "Well, I guess just hang up on me if you don't want to listen!!" and she started to say something back but I hung up."

I hate it when this kind of thing happens. You try and do what you are told, but even then it's not good enough, and you are made to feel like you are the one in the wrong. I probably sound like a spoiled brat right now, but I really am just in the worst mood.

Edited by alex and astrid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.