VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My attempt at getting walk in biometrics at Van Nuys didn't quite work out today. I went to the office at about 1.30, but was told that they do not to walk ins during the afternoon because of a lack of staff. They suggested that I come during the early morning if I wanted to try again. So, next week, that's what this little lady will be doing!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I got my NOAs for AP, EAD and AOS on 3/26.....so its just a waiting game until i get my bio-metrics appointment.

Do we get RFE's before we get NOAs or do we get them after getting NOAs too... (god forbid i dont get any)

I was fingerprinted at the US Consulate in India as well as at the POE when i arrived here...what else are they going to do at the bio-metrics ????

Any other documents that i need to collect while i sit here and wait for the appointment...????

All the best for those who have sent out the AOS application.

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline

I got my NOAs for AP, EAD and AOS on 3/26.....so its just a waiting game until i get my bio-metrics appointment.

Do we get RFE's before we get NOAs or do we get them after getting NOAs too... (god forbid i dont get any)

I was fingerprinted at the US Consulate in India as well as at the POE when i arrived here...what else are they going to do at the bio-metrics ????

Any other documents that i need to collect while i sit here and wait for the appointment...????

All the best for those who have sent out the AOS application.

You get RFE's, if any, after the NOA's. The NOA's signify that they have your petition and it's in the queue, and that everything like signatures and the right forms are included. It's when an adjudicator picks up your file and really looks at it that any RFE's may be issued.

I do not know the reason why we continually get printed, but I think the prints taken at biometrics are different to the ones that the consul and POE's take. It's hard for me to describe, but they pretty much scan your whole hands in detail, not just the finger print. I am going to attempt a walk in on Tuesday so I will let you know what it is like. Another thing I just thought of was they probably take prints at every opportunity to make sure that no one else is pretending to be you.

While you are waiting for an interview, start making sure you have a paper trail of your married life together. If you were given any cards congratulating you on the wedding, get a few of them, proof of having a bank account together, health insurance together, auto insurance, joint credit cards, lease agreement, car payments, utility bills, pictures of your wedding, even if it was a civil ceremony....and of course your wedding licence!

For example, if Alex and I get an interview, I already have the following to show -

GEICO car insurance with both our names on it

Our joint checking/savings account

Our joint credit cards

Our lease agreement, dating back two years

Utility Bills (Gas is in my name, electricity is in his)

Bits of mail sent to both of us

Wedding Pictures

Cards we were given at the wedding

You can show them copies of any of these things, but remember, you must also be able to present originals if asked.

Also for the interview, I think people show evidence pre-dating the wedding, like any travel together or communication, like emails. The USC and the beneficiary should also be comfortable with answering questions based off the AOS packet, like parents names, place of birth, date of marriage, things like that.

You theoretically have at least a few months to wait before your interview, so lots of time to prepare!

Timeline

I managed to do a walk in for my biometrics today at Van Nuys! I got there at around 11, showed my letter to security and asked to a do a walk in, they got me to fill in a form with my name, my case numbers for my EAD and AOS, and physical details like height, hair colour and such. He also commented that his old girlfriend had the same name as me, I asked if that was a good or bad thing, haha. He said good :)

They also checked my hands for any injury like bruising or cuts. If you have anything like that on your hands, they will not take your biometrics. My number got called after about five minutes of waiting. The technician wet my hands and cleaned them, and took my prints electronically. It took a while because the machine kept saying my prints were not clean enough. The tech said this is a common problem because their machines are old. He finished my prints, then took my picture (which actually turned out ok!), stamped my biometrics letter saying that I had them taken, and sent me on my way! Too easy.

So, if you get your appointment letter, do a walk in at Van Nuys. Don't try after lunchtime though, because they will turn you away. They apparently open at 8 a.m., so go early if you can. The office is a five minute walk north of the Orange Line station.

Timeline

Case transfered to CSC today!!! Hahaha hope USICS isn't playing a dirty April Fools joke on me!! AP and EAD, no change.

Timeline

Case transfered to CSC today!!! Hahaha hope USICS isn't playing a dirty April Fools joke on me!! AP and EAD, no change.

Grats!! **fingers crossed** for you :D

AOS mailed today. Hopefully all goes well now.

Hope it is all goes well for you.

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline

@ Astrid, i was looking at your timeline, it says your Bio-Metrics was taken on 3/29 but you again have your Bio-Metric appointement scheduled on 4/9, can you please tell me what is this for.....????

Timeline:

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

Timeline

In the posts above I detailed how I did a walk in biometrics appointment last week, as the office in my area allows you to do that. So, in my signature I want to let people know that I was scheduled on the 9th, but was able to do it on the 29th.

Do the supporting documents for the I-864 Affidavit of Support need to be certified by a Notary Public? I can't find anywhere that says it does but I thought I better ask because I vaguely recall the Affidavit of Support supporting documents for Packet 3 were certified.

Timeline

Do the supporting documents for the I-864 Affidavit of Support need to be certified by a Notary Public? I can't find anywhere that says it does but I thought I better ask because I vaguely recall the Affidavit of Support supporting documents for Packet 3 were certified.

No, they don't, but when you are getting your tax stuff ready to submit, you need to look at what kinds of copies they require. I don't think you can send just normal photocopies, they need to be IRS transcripts or something like that. If you don't have what they need, you can request the transcripts for free.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I have my biometrics appointment tomorrow morning at 9am!!! Wish me luck!!! Hubby Tom is coming along with me for the hour long drive to Des Moines.....Luckily, he is a fabulous city driver and navigator so he is a great travel buddy to have around! :)

Tom&Ren = Tom (US Citizen) & Ren (Aussie)!

Our K1 Visa Journey.....

Consulate: Sydney, Australia

2 Dec 08: Tom receives I-129F NOA1

25 Feb 09: Tom receives I-129F NOA2

9 Apr 09: Ren receives Packet 3

27 May 09: Extension Requested

11 Jun 09: Ren sends back Packet 3

15 Jun 09: Ren Receives Packet 4

7 Jul 09: Visa Interview Date....Success!!

10 Aug 09: Ren's US Arrival Date

13 Sep 09: Our Wedding Day!

Ren's Greencard & EAD Journeys.....

Local Office: Des Moines, IA

3 Mar 10: Ren sends away AOS & EAD Docs

11 Mar 10: Ren receives AOS & EAD NOA's

30 Mar 10: Case Transferred to CSC!

31 Mar 10: AOS File 'touched'

6 Apr 10: Ren's Biometrics Appt. in Des Moines

Timeline

Got the hardcopy notice of the CSC transfer in the mail today.

Timeline

I have my biometrics appointment tomorrow morning at 9am!!! Wish me luck!!! Hubby Tom is coming along with me for the hour long drive to Des Moines.....Luckily, he is a fabulous city driver and navigator so he is a great travel buddy to have around! :)

Ooo good luck! Please write a review when you're done and if possible (sorry to be a pain) can you ask about walk-in's? I live near Davenport so will be making the drive to Des Moines as well and wondered if they'd allow walk-ins... like you we have a nice little drive as well :)

Have fun tomorrow! Hope the weather is better :D

Got the hardcopy notice of the CSC transfer in the mail today.

Grats!

Timeline

okay guys,today i received my I-797C NOA transfer notice stating my case was transfered to California Service Center......

Still no letter for my Bio-metrics interview....is this normal...

Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.