ACGeiger

Whats the hardest part

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I agree with the not knowing part...will we be lucky and only wait a few months to get our NOA2 or will we be waiting a year? Will we get any RFEs? For what? When will we be together in the US? When can we get married? Etc.

Plus the financial aspect is/will be hard for us too because we both recently finished our master's degrees, don't have real jobs yet, moved to Australia in February (to be together during this process)...and then once we get to the US, Chris won't even be able to work for a few months! So the financial part is definitely going to be a struggle for us!

the being apart is the worst, just cause you talk everyday, doesn't make the missing go away. :wacko::crying: and yes the waiting, not having a clue is torture too. :blink::bonk:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1.png

2.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Of course being apart was very hard, but we were lucky to be able to visit every three or four months. But we also had self-imposed limits. We knew P had to stay in Germany to finish graduate school before he could move here. He did, and luckily he finished his thesis from here whilst awaiting his EAD.

The real hard part, for me at least, was having very few people in real life understand why and what we were going through. Thank God for VJ :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Waiting to be together again, and not knowing when that would be.

THE JOHN (UK) AND CAMIE (US) SHOW

K-1

[*]I-129F Sent : 2009-02-19 [*]I-129F NOA1: 2009-02-23 [*]I-129F NOA2: 2009-03-23 [*]John's Medical: 2009-05-11 [*]John's INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!: 2009-06-08 [*]VISA ARRIVES!!: 2009-06-12 [*]Camie Goes to England : 2009-06-18 [*]Our POE : 2009-06-24 [*]Got married and went to Jack-in-the-Box : 2009-07-07

AOS

[*]AOS Package Sent: 2010-02-13 [*]AOS Package Delivered (per USPS): 2010-02-15 [*]USCIS Email Confirmation (WOO HOO!!): 2010-02-23 [*]AOS Fee Check Cashed: 2010-02-23 [*]USCIS Status Check Available Online: 2010-02-24 [*]I-485 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]I-765 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]Biometrics: 2010-03-18 (letter received 2010-03-08) [*]EAD CARD RECEIVED: 2010-05-06 [*]INTERVIEW: 2010-05-21 - APPROVED [*]RECEIVED GREEN CARD: 2010-06-17 - Lakers FTW, then off to Disneyland to celebrate!

ROC

[*]I-751 Package Sent: 2012-05-18 [*]I-751 Package Delivered (per USPS): 2012-05-19 [*]CSC Fee Check Cashed: 2012-06-06
[*]I-751 NOA1: 2012-06-07 (dated 2012-05-21)
[*]Biometrics: 2012-07-16 (letter received 2012-06-25) [*]RFE: 2013-01-18 (responded on 2013-04-08)
[*]I-751 APPROVED: 2013-04-25 (dated 2013-04-19)

[*]10-Year GC Received: 2013-06-17

Christopher Midian Chance - 7lbs., 5oz., born 11-19-14 :wub:

For me the two things so far in this process that were the hardest...The waiting from NOA1 to NOA2 and being apart especially after our first meeting in person. We are currently awaiting NOA2 for the AOS and EAD.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The process is a bit daunting and the wait is long, but the worst is knowing that a simple mistake could cost weeks or months. I find it extremely frustrating that I cannot plan because the process is not predictable to even know if my fiance will arrive this year or next. I know that 99% of K-1 visas are granted (eventually), so why does the process have to be so difficult and lengthy for family visas?

Rinda (Thailand) and Chris (USA)

I-129F Timeline for K-1 Visa

04-23-2009 I-129F sent to VSC

04-28-2009 NOA1

09-06-2009 NOA2

09-14-2009 NVC In

09-16-2009 NVC Out

09-30-2009 Packet 3 to Embassy

10-02-2009 Appointment Letter

10-14-2009 Interview (delayed because interviewer sick)

10-15-2009 Interview (APPROVED!!!)

10-19-2009 Visa Received

10-20-2009 Flying to the USA!!!

Being from Canada, I was very fortunate to see my now husband very often, so the separation was not an issue. The waiting...the not knowing what the heck is going on...where you are in the process...wow, was that hard! You may have heard this from others, but truly, so many of us here when it's all over and you're with your loved one, married, and living together...it truly fades.

carlahmsb4.gif

The hardest part....

For sure the waiting part is very hard, but I think the unknown is even worse. Not knowing when. Trying to plan.

Its really hard being away from my honey. Not being able to kiss him, hug him, just a simple touch...

... it really opens up your eyes being in a situation like this. The simple little things that many people take for granted is something we will cherish forever.

On the plus side - Thank god for Skype!!! :dance:

Thanks!

Claire <3

Check our Timeline

Filed: Timeline
Just out of curiosity, what did you all find was the hardest part of this whole process? Was it being away from your loved one, dealing with the government, or was it anything else that you found difficult?

Just wondering... best of luck to all

Hmmmm, besides the being away from my love. The waiting and not having any control is the hardest. And someone else deciding your fate not easy to deal with.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

humm... I have to say the hardest part is BY FAR: "being away from my fiance". I mean we have both sacraficed so much to keep this relationship from the very beginning on seeing eachother every 2 months -- no matter where it is in the world, we fly ... to spend 1 week together. After we started the k1 processing, by far, its knowing that your happiness is now being controlled based on an immigration officier. I mean, USCIS. NVC or the Embassy can make your day or break your day.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Just out of curiosity, what did you all find was the hardest part of this whole process? Was it being away from your loved one, dealing with the government, or was it anything else that you found difficult?

The hardest part for me is being away from not only my wife but also my son. I would give all of my worldly possesions away just to have this process over and done with and have them here today.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I live in Seattle and she lives in Vancouver, BC so we're lucky in that respect - only a 3 hour drive north and I get to use the NEXUS card so the wait at the border is minimal. Over the 4th, I will travel to see her.

For me, the hardest part is really the potential for job loss during this entire process and what an issue that would be for us if it happens. Having a Plan B-Z is a good start along with dumping more money into savings. The second most difficult thing will be to coordinate the K2 visa and the potential for an age-out situation if we're not careful.

By the way, after reading Gary's post I just realized that I need to prepare my home for more than one person to live in it. Right now, I've taken up all the available closet space with my personal or sports #######, e.g., stuff that doesnt really need to be hung up but is because well, there is space available to do it. Time to throw out, yard sale or give away some of the overflow and make room. But, I've probably got 6 months to do that....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What has been hardest?

1. Seeing the approval of so many other contemporaneously filed K-1 petitions before mine.

2. The arrogance, deception, and foul play of the rogue, ####### consulate, which kicked my fiancee out of her interview within 4 minutes for "lack of relationship evidence" (which she had BROUGHT but which was not ACCEPTED). Their exact words were "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!" My USC hind end was ORDERED to appear for a "joint" "marriage" interview that was nothing more than an outright Stokes interrogation, and not even with a consul, but with a native "foreign-service national." At the end of that, it was "too much evidence -- go away." Far more monkeyshines occurred during and after all this, to the point where one of my attorneys -- himself a former vice-consul in a neighboring country -- recommended an after-visa complaint to the Department of State and to the Consul General. It is one year today (June 30) since that indescribable treatment at the consulate, and I remain just as livid now as I was then. Happily, I have been able to forewarn other Ecuador filers here on VJ, some of whom have sidestepped the minefield. Outrageously, the consulate's monkeyshines continue.

3. Reading the constant comments on VJ of "you do not need a lawyer!" and "your consular interview will be a breeze!" You'd better at least KNOW of a GOOD attorney who can spring into action urgently if you need it during ANY stage of this process (this type of attorney IS out there), and unless you're a professional psychic who can also pick the semiweekly winning Lottery numbers, it's irresponsible and potentially perilous to state or believe that you know how ANY consular interview -- yours or another couple's -- WILL come out. Nothing in this immigration debacle is certain in the slightest until your fiance(e) or spouse is allowed through POE and enters the United States.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.