aussiewench

Time Savers for NVC, plus Knowing your Case #

338 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

This is probably a moot question as I'm hoping to have my wife email the Choice of Agent but anyway.

The DS3032 doc linked in james' shortcuts

http://foia.state.gov/FORMS/visa/ds3032.pdf and anything else I can find online says.

Expiration Date: 12/31/2006

on the top right hand side.

What does this mean? Can I no longer use this doc? Should I wait for a new 2007 version to be sure??

Edited by NY_IZMIR

Married 08-17-2006

K3 Visa Started 08-26-2006

K3 Visa Received 03-29-2007

AOS Started 07-25-2007

2yr - GC Received 05-12-2008

ROC Started 02-02-2009

10yr - GC Received 06-10-2010

Naturalization

N-400 Sent 01-29-2011

NOA Received 02-14-2011

Biometrics 02-23-2011

Interview Letter __-__-2011

Interview __-__-2011

Oath __-__-2011

When it's all done, it will have taken approximately 4 years and 9 months

This is probably a moot question as I'm hoping to have my wife email the Choice of Agent but anyway.

The DS3032 doc linked in james' shortcuts

http://foia.state.gov/FORMS/visa/ds3032.pdf and anything else I can find online says.

Expiration Date: 12/31/2006

on the top right hand side.

What does this mean? Can I no longer use this doc? Should I wait for a new 2007 version to be sure??

No There is not a problem with using this document.

It is simply a formality, and more and more no one is using them anyway. Still send it in, but use the short cut, and e-mail them. This is the most efficient use of time, and will get a result faster. It is also on my web site. If you go there, I have created a link with the wording and how to do it. Good Luck, and Just check and double check, and check everything ................again, before you send.

You will be glad you did, and even have some one else look at it to catch some thing you may not notice..

But be careful, be patient, and always have hope.

Good Luck...Randy

Sent I-130 & I-129F on 06/30/06 same day

I-129f sent to Chicago

I-130 sent to Neb. transf. to CSC.

I-129F Process

07/03/06 Rec. Date on I-129F

07/06/06 Notice Date on NOA1

07/09/06 I-129F Rec. in mail

I-130 Process

07/24/06 I-130 NOA1 rec'd in mail

Confirmed-Notice rec'd from CSC

07/03/06 Recd date on I-130 NOA1

07/20/06 Notice Date on NOA1

E-mail rec'd 09-29-06 I 130 APPROVED

10/17/06 NVC rec'd , awaiting case #

10/19/06 NVC gives case #

10/30/06 NVC sent DS-3032 & I-864 bill.

10/31/06 DS-3032 sent using J's s/c

10/31/06 Wife e-mails NVC agent

11/01/06 I rec'd DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill

11/07/06 NVC acccepts e-mailed agent

11/09/06 AOS Fee Bill O/N to NVC

11/13/06 NVC gnrts IV Bill

11/14/06 NVC rec'd AOS Fee Bill

11/21/06 I got IV Bill

11/22/06 IV Bill sent

11/30/06 IV Fee rec'd by NVC

12/04/06 I rec'd I-864 Pack

12/04/06 DS-230 gnrtd by NVC

12/05/06 I sent I-864

12/07/06 NVC got I-864

12/18/06 Sent DS-230 to NVC

12/20/06 DS-230 rec'd snail mail

12/21/06 E-mail from NVC, Rec'd DS-230

02/06/07 Case Complete at NVC

02/28/07 Left NVC

03/01/07 Rec'd In Manila

04/20/07 Interview..Approved & put on AR... :(

05/24/07 Visa Received

06/04/07 Rose is in the U.S. (POE.MSP)

06/10/07 Green Card Arrives in mail

06/12/07 S.S # received

04/02/07 Biometrics Complete St.Paul Office University Ave.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
I have corrected all the links in James Shortcuts (below) and highlighted them for easier use. Any links that you do find still broken can you let me know please.

Posted: May 14 2005, 05:34 AM James

Version 1.1 -- I've amended the shortcut instructions slightly to accomodate suggestions and the like.

James's NVC Shortcuts

The following NVC shortcuts are obviously not sanctioned by NVC but they have been proven to work without fail if you follow them to the "tee." If you are not good at comprehending instructions and/or English, you are probably better off not using these shortcuts.

A Bit of Background

Anywhere from a week to two weeks after your NOA2 from the USCIS service center (and, on those occasions where NVC has gotten quite backed up, perhaps a week or so more), NVC will assign you a case number. Approximately two weeks after NVC assigns you a case number, it will generate the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form and a $70 bill for the AOS (I-864) fee. You will be able to find out that it has generated the DS-3032 and the AOS fee bill by calling the automated recording (IVR)at NVC first thing on a Tuesday morning. (Updates to the IVR for the generation of forms and fee bills always occurs early Tuesday mornings.)

The DS-3032 and AOS fee bill represent two separate document/fee "tracks" through the NVC that ultimately come together at the end. The first, shorter track involves the AOS/I-864 and can be summed up as follows: you returning the AOS fee bill with the AOS fee to NVC, and NVC generates the AOS/I-864, which you then return to NVC. The second, somewhat longer track involves the immigrant visa application itself. Returning the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form to NVC leads to the generation of the IV (immigrant visa) fee bill. Returning the IV fee bill with the IV fee to NVC leads to the generation of the DS-230 IV application, which you then return to the NVC. Once NVC has completed reviewing both your DS-230 and your I-864, it deems your case processing completed and forwards the case to the embassy.

Because its "track" has one fewer step, the review of the AOS/I-864 is often completed long before the DS-230 has even arrived at the NVC. Thus, using the AOS fee bill and I-864 shortcuts below will, more often than not, not save you any time at all. However, if you anticipate a complicated I-864 situtation and/or if you are RFE prone, it won't hurt to get your I-864 in early. (The early completion of its review will, however, generate an odd kind of RFE -- you will hear the IVR tell you that "some documents are missing or incomplete" and that a "checklist" has been sent. This just means that they still haven't received your DS-230.)

Now let's get back to the meat of the matter and then on to the individual shortcuts.

Once NVC has generated the DS-3032 and the AOS fee bill, the NVC system is immediately ready to accept both of these from you -- that very day, in fact. Therefore, when you find out on that Tuesday morning that the DS-3032 and AOS fee bill have been generated, you can generate both of these on your own and send both of them to NVC that day. The same holds true for the other forms that NVC generates -- the IVR is updated on Tueday mornings if a form has been generated the previous day.

DS-3032

As soon as you receive your NOA2, you should have your spouse download and sign the downloadable version of the DS-3032 (available by clicking HERE) and send it to you. Then, when you find out that NVC has generated your DS-3032, write the case number in the horizontal box that says "Place Case Barcode Strip Here Before Mailing to the National Visa Center." (Whenever you are asked for your case number, ALWAYS put in the three letters with which your case number begins, not just the numbers.) Use dark ink -- a black felt-tip pen would be ideal -- so the case number is legible.

Alternatively -- and this can prove to be excellent practice for the other shortcuts to come -- you can generate a barcode on your own and paste it in the horizontal box that asks for the barcode strip. Go to http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for "Add check digit" and for "Add check digit to text" and select "Yes" for "Show text below barcode." Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.05 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.5. Click on "Create Barcode." Print out the result from the resulting pop-up window, cut out the barcode and case number below it, and paste it in the horizontal box on the DS-3032.

Send the completed DS-3032 to:

National Visa Center

Attention ACL

32 Rochester Ave.

Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909

AOS fee bill

Because your AOS fee bill is generated at the same time as the DS-3032, you can also create your own AOS fee bill and send it in with the required fee. Download the MS Word copy of the AOS fee bill (available by clicking HERE). Under "Bill date," type in the date the AOS fee bill was generated. Underneath the date, change "XXX2005123456" to your case number. (If you are applying for an IR1 instead of a CR1 make sure to change "CR1" to "IR1" whereever you see it.) Next to "Petioner's Name," type in your last name, first name, and middle name.

You will need to replace the barcode at the bottom of the page. Again, go to http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the X dimension to 0.07 and the Barcode bar height to 0.85. Click on Create Barcode.

In the resulting window, right click on the generated barcode and left click on Copy. Go to the Word copy of the AOS fee bill, select the original barcode, and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). The barcode you generated should be in the exact same place as the original one you deleted.

Detach the fee bill at the dotted line (getting rid of the blank top two-thirds of the page). Get a money order or cashier's check payable to Department of State for $70.00, indicate next to "Amount enclosed" on the bill that you are enclosing $70.00, and send the bill and fee to:

National Visa Center

P.O. Box 790135

St. Louis, MO 63179-0135

Don't worry that you are not using the "envelope provided" as indicated on the fee bill. Presumably you are in a hurry here, so you should be sending the bill and money order off in a US Postal Service Express Mail flat mailer (the USPS is the only service that will deliver overnight to a P.O. Box).

I-864

Once the NVC system shows that it has received your AOS fee, it will generate the AOS/I-864 itself. (This may take anywhere from up to a month after you send the fee in.) Note, however, that neither the processing of the AOS fee nor the generation of the I-864 is reflected on the IVR -- you actually have to ask an operator. (An operator can be reached by pressing 1 and then 5 after dialing NVC.) The I-864 is almost always generated the Monday after the AOS fee has been processed. So if it is, for example, a Wednesday, and the operator tells you that your AOS fee was processed that same day, you know that your I-864 will almost assuredly be generated on the following Monday. Check that Monday to make sure that it has in fact been generated (again, talking to an operator), and then go ahead and send in the I-864 package you have already prepared.

You should have already completed the downloadable version of Form I-864 (available by clicking HERE) and accumulated the supporting documents pursuant to the instructions that come with the I-864 and the NVC-generated I-864 instructions (available by clicking HERE).

(Note that what you send to the NVC with the I-864 depends upon your financial situation. Also, you may need to send in an additional I-864 from a joint sponsor, and/or an I-864A contract from a household member. We're assuming here that for the past three years, you have had -- and still have -- a regular job making over 125% of the poverty level and can prove it. Those who also need an I-864 from a joint sponsor and or a I-864A from a household member should amend the instructions here accordingly.)

In addition to the I-864, you must generate and fill out an Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data. Download the MS Word copy of the Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data (available by clicking HERE). Under the barcode, type in your case number. At the bottom of the page, replace the entire phrase "XXX City" with the name of the city in which the embassy interview will take place (i.e., the "post" in Department of State parlance). So if the embassy interview is to take place in Caracas, Venezuela, delete "XXX City" and type in "CARACAS" (all caps).

Next, replace the sample barcode in the Authorization with one generated at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.05 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.5. Click on "Create Barcode." In the resulting window, right click on the generated barcode and left click on Copy. Go to the Word copy of the Authorization, select the original barcode, and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). The barcode you generated should be in the exact same place as the original one you deleted.

Finally, you will need the I-864 coversheet. Download the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet (available by clicking HERE). Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

To generate the barcode and put it in the sample coversheet, type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.07 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.7. Click on "Create Barcode."

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

You should include a cover letter with the I-864 package. With the cover letter, the order recommended by the NVC for the documents in the I-864 package is:

* Cover letter

* Barcoded cover sheet

* I-864

* Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data

* Copy of tax returns from last three years along with copies of W2s

* Letter of employment

* Last three pay stubs

Write your case number in the upper right-hand corner of each page. Send the package to the NVC address listed on the barcoded coversheet.

DS-230

After your DS-3032 is received by NVC, the IV (Immigrant Visa) fee bill will be generated. Unfortunately, because NVC generates an apparently random transaction number and puts it after the case number in the barcode on the IV fee bill, it is not possible to send in the IV fee bill as soon as NVC generates it -- you will have to use the one NVC sends you. Once you do receive it and send in the fee, NVC will eventually generate the DS-230 -- the actual immigrant visa application itself. As soon as you find out that the DS-230 has been generated, you should send in the copy you already have prepared.

Well before your DS-230 is generated, your spouse should download, fill out, and sign the downloadable version of the DS-230 (available by clicking HERE). (Generally, your spouse will only need to fill out and sign part I because he or she will be sent part II by the embassy when the interview appointment is given. However, if your spouse is from Canada, the Philippines, China, an African country, or two or three other countries for which NVC arranges the interview, your spouse may have to fill out -- but not sign -- part II. This DS-230 shortcut is primarily designed for those who only have to send in a DS-230 Part I. You should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what is required.)

You will need to attach the coversheet to the completed DS-230 Part I before sending it in. Download the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet (available by clicking HERE ). Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

To generate the barcode and put it in the sample coversheet, type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.07 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.7. Click on "Create Barcode."

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

Generally, the only thing you will have to include beyond the DS-230 Part I and the cover sheet is a simple (i.e., not notarized) photocopy of the biographical information page from your spouse's passport. If your spouse is from Canada, a country in Africa, China, and those two or three other countries, more is generally required. (Again, you should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what you have to send in with the DS-230 Part I.) Send all of these things to the NVC address listed on the barcoded DS-230 Part I cover sheet.

Hi,

Can you help me get to the AOS fee bill form? I am having a very difficult time accessing this link. I can't seem to find where I can just find the AOS fee bill or is there another name for it?

Thank you for your help. The shortcut really seems to a good way to go and I want to try it.

Mari

Thank you.

Radu & Mari

Applying for Citizenship

03-23-2012: Mailed N-400 Application to Texas Lockbox

04-02-2012 Recived NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Click on the link where it says click HERE in the shortcuts... then scroll down, the bill is at the bottom of the page like a payment stub.

Generally you will get more help if you post in the regular forum, not in the pinned thread.

Good luck :)

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I have a question. I have just received notice that I was approved for my i-129f petition.

I read over all those shortcut tips and I'm a bit confused.

1. If my boyfriend signs me as his agent, do I fill out all his paperwork and stuff for him? (This he would LOVE) Everything that he was suppose to get would that be sent to me instead and I'm acting on his behalf?

Well thats my question so far, once I get that one answered, I think I'll be alright concerning my other questions.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

My timeline:

02 - 09 - 2007 - Sending off of my I-129F package

02 - 13 - 2007 - NOA1 Received

02 - 21 - 2007 - Touched!

03 - 01 - 2007 - NOA2 Received

03 - 02 - 2007 - Touched Again!

03 - 06 - 2007 - NVC Received

03 - 07 - 2007 - Was told by email I-129F will be forwarded to Sydney

03 - 08 - 2007 - I-129F picked up by DHL and on it's way to Sydney!!

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 19 - 2007 - Packet Three is sent off!

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 21 - 2007 - Corey gets Pkt 3 via Registered Mail

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

I have a question. I have just received notice that I was approved for my i-129f petition.

1. If my boyfriend signs me as his agent, do I fill out all his paperwork and stuff for him? (This he would LOVE) Everything that he was suppose to get would that be sent to me instead and I'm acting on his behalf?

Well thats my question so far, once I get that one answered, I think I'll be alright concerning my other questions.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

those short cuts are intended only for immigrant visa applicant,

since your on k-1 w/c is a non-immigrant visa, you don't have to worry about that

after they forwarded your case to NVC w/c will assign a case number...

and then it will be forwarded to the US Embassy...

Edited by frdmrk2

zCR-1 TIMELINE

10/25/06 - NOA1

01/18/07 - NOA2

01/29/07 - NVC Recv'd

02/05/07 - Choice of agent sent thru email

02/07/07 - I-864 Bill Generated

02/08/07 - NVC accepted choice of agent

02/09/07 - I-864 Bill Rec'd via mail

02/12/07 - IV Bill Generated

02/14/07 - Pay I-864 Bill

02/23/07 - IV Bill Recv'd

02/24/07 - Pay IV Bill

03/05/07 - DS-230 Generated

03/07/07 - I-864 Forms Recv'd

03/15/07 - I-864 Sent

03/17/07 - DS-230 Recv'd

03/19/07 - DS-230 Sent

04/16/07 - Recv'd RFE

05/02/07 - Case Complete!

05/22/07 - Case Forwarded To Manila

06/26/07 - Medical Exam & Interview Schedule

06/29/07 - Visa Received!

07/06/07 - Flight to US

07/24/07 - Apply for SSN

07/30/07 - Recv'd SSN

08/03/07 - Recv'd Green Card

Timeline

Thanks so much!

Lynn

those short cuts are intended only for immigrant visa applicant,

since your on k-1 w/c is a non-immigrant visa, you don't have to worry about that

after they forwarded your case to NVC w/c will assign a case number...

and then it will be forwarded to the US Embassy...

Oh man, Thanks so much for clearing that up! I was getting all ready for all this stuff and it doesn't even apply to me.

So the K-1 visa isn't an immigrant visa? I thought since he would be immigrating here, it'd be considered an immigrant visa. I'm so confused.. :wacko:

I don't have to do any of these shortcuts then is that correct?

Thanks so much for responding :) I really appreciate it!

My timeline:

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

Oh man, Thanks so much for clearing that up! I was getting all ready for all this stuff and it doesn't even apply to me.

So the K-1 visa isn't an immigrant visa? I thought since he would be immigrating here, it'd be considered an immigrant visa. I'm so confused.. :wacko:

I don't have to do any of these shortcuts then is that correct?

Thanks so much for responding :) I really appreciate it!

K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa because , technically, you are not yet a relative of the USC - you are his fiancee. These shortcuts apply for the I-130 Application (Petition for Alien Relative).

Don't worry, you will get your chance to file those crazy paperwork when you adjust status (I-485). I went through the K1/AOS/Naturalization process and now going through I-130 for my mom, so this NVC timesavers now apply to me.

Good luck on your journey!

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Ahh, Okay thanks so much!

I hope you have goodluck with the rest of your paperwork too.

My timeline:

Technically no, even though the K's are processed in much the same way as an immigrant visa. This is because one will be applying for immigrant status once in the US through the adjustment of status process.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
I have corrected all the links in James Shortcuts (below) and highlighted them for easier use. Any links that you do find still broken can you let me know please.

Posted: May 14 2005, 05:34 AM James

Version 1.1 -- I've amended the shortcut instructions slightly to accomodate suggestions and the like.

James's NVC Shortcuts

The following NVC shortcuts are obviously not sanctioned by NVC but they have been proven to work without fail if you follow them to the "tee." If you are not good at comprehending instructions and/or English, you are probably better off not using these shortcuts.

A Bit of Background

Anywhere from a week to two weeks after your NOA2 from the USCIS service center (and, on those occasions where NVC has gotten quite backed up, perhaps a week or so more), NVC will assign you a case number. Approximately two weeks after NVC assigns you a case number, it will generate the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form and a $70 bill for the AOS (I-864) fee. You will be able to find out that it has generated the DS-3032 and the AOS fee bill by calling the automated recording (IVR)at NVC first thing on a Tuesday morning. (Updates to the IVR for the generation of forms and fee bills always occurs early Tuesday mornings.)

The DS-3032 and AOS fee bill represent two separate document/fee "tracks" through the NVC that ultimately come together at the end. The first, shorter track involves the AOS/I-864 and can be summed up as follows: you returning the AOS fee bill with the AOS fee to NVC, and NVC generates the AOS/I-864, which you then return to NVC. The second, somewhat longer track involves the immigrant visa application itself. Returning the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form to NVC leads to the generation of the IV (immigrant visa) fee bill. Returning the IV fee bill with the IV fee to NVC leads to the generation of the DS-230 IV application, which you then return to the NVC. Once NVC has completed reviewing both your DS-230 and your I-864, it deems your case processing completed and forwards the case to the embassy.

Because its "track" has one fewer step, the review of the AOS/I-864 is often completed long before the DS-230 has even arrived at the NVC. Thus, using the AOS fee bill and I-864 shortcuts below will, more often than not, not save you any time at all. However, if you anticipate a complicated I-864 situtation and/or if you are RFE prone, it won't hurt to get your I-864 in early. (The early completion of its review will, however, generate an odd kind of RFE -- you will hear the IVR tell you that "some documents are missing or incomplete" and that a "checklist" has been sent. This just means that they still haven't received your DS-230.)

Now let's get back to the meat of the matter and then on to the individual shortcuts.

Once NVC has generated the DS-3032 and the AOS fee bill, the NVC system is immediately ready to accept both of these from you -- that very day, in fact. Therefore, when you find out on that Tuesday morning that the DS-3032 and AOS fee bill have been generated, you can generate both of these on your own and send both of them to NVC that day. The same holds true for the other forms that NVC generates -- the IVR is updated on Tueday mornings if a form has been generated the previous day.

DS-3032

As soon as you receive your NOA2, you should have your spouse download and sign the downloadable version of the DS-3032 (available by clicking HERE) and send it to you. Then, when you find out that NVC has generated your DS-3032, write the case number in the horizontal box that says "Place Case Barcode Strip Here Before Mailing to the National Visa Center." (Whenever you are asked for your case number, ALWAYS put in the three letters with which your case number begins, not just the numbers.) Use dark ink -- a black felt-tip pen would be ideal -- so the case number is legible.

Alternatively -- and this can prove to be excellent practice for the other shortcuts to come -- you can generate a barcode on your own and paste it in the horizontal box that asks for the barcode strip. Go to http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Type in the case number under "Data to encode." Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for "Add check digit" and for "Add check digit to text" and select "Yes" for "Show text below barcode." Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.05 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.5. Click on "Create Barcode." Print out the result from the resulting pop-up window, cut out the barcode and case number below it, and paste it in the horizontal box on the DS-3032.

Send the completed DS-3032 to:

National Visa Center

Attention ACL

32 Rochester Ave.

Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909

AOS fee bill

Because your AOS fee bill is generated at the same time as the DS-3032, you can also create your own AOS fee bill and send it in with the required fee. Download the MS Word copy of the AOS fee bill (available by clicking HERE). Under "Bill date," type in the date the AOS fee bill was generated. Underneath the date, change "XXX2005123456" to your case number. (If you are applying for an IR1 instead of a CR1 make sure to change "CR1" to "IR1" whereever you see it.) Next to "Petioner's Name," type in your last name, first name, and middle name.

You will need to replace the barcode at the bottom of the page. Again, go to http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the X dimension to 0.07 and the Barcode bar height to 0.85. Click on Create Barcode.

In the resulting window, right click on the generated barcode and left click on Copy. Go to the Word copy of the AOS fee bill, select the original barcode, and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). The barcode you generated should be in the exact same place as the original one you deleted.

Detach the fee bill at the dotted line (getting rid of the blank top two-thirds of the page). Get a money order or cashier's check payable to Department of State for $70.00, indicate next to "Amount enclosed" on the bill that you are enclosing $70.00, and send the bill and fee to:

National Visa Center

P.O. Box 790135

St. Louis, MO 63179-0135

Don't worry that you are not using the "envelope provided" as indicated on the fee bill. Presumably you are in a hurry here, so you should be sending the bill and money order off in a US Postal Service Express Mail flat mailer (the USPS is the only service that will deliver overnight to a P.O. Box).

I-864

Once the NVC system shows that it has received your AOS fee, it will generate the AOS/I-864 itself. (This may take anywhere from up to a month after you send the fee in.) Note, however, that neither the processing of the AOS fee nor the generation of the I-864 is reflected on the IVR -- you actually have to ask an operator. (An operator can be reached by pressing 1 and then 5 after dialing NVC.) The I-864 is almost always generated the Monday after the AOS fee has been processed. So if it is, for example, a Wednesday, and the operator tells you that your AOS fee was processed that same day, you know that your I-864 will almost assuredly be generated on the following Monday. Check that Monday to make sure that it has in fact been generated (again, talking to an operator), and then go ahead and send in the I-864 package you have already prepared.

You should have already completed the downloadable version of Form I-864 (available by clicking HERE) and accumulated the supporting documents pursuant to the instructions that come with the I-864 and the NVC-generated I-864 instructions (available by clicking HERE).

(Note that what you send to the NVC with the I-864 depends upon your financial situation. Also, you may need to send in an additional I-864 from a joint sponsor, and/or an I-864A contract from a household member. We're assuming here that for the past three years, you have had -- and still have -- a regular job making over 125% of the poverty level and can prove it. Those who also need an I-864 from a joint sponsor and or a I-864A from a household member should amend the instructions here accordingly.)

Next, replace the sample barcode in the Authorization with one generated at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html. Under "Barcode symbology," select CODE 39. Select "No" for the "Add check digit," "Add check digit to text," and "Show text below barcode" options. Change the "X dimension" (bar width) to 0.05 and the "Barcode bar height" to 0.5. Click on "Create Barcode." In the resulting window, right click on the generated barcode and left click on Copy. Go to the Word copy of the Authorization, select the original barcode, and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). The barcode you generated should be in the exact same place as the original one you deleted.

Finally, you will need the I-864 coversheet. Download the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet (available by clicking HERE). Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the I-864 coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

You should include a cover letter with the I-864 package. With the cover letter, the order recommended by the NVC for the documents in the I-864 package is:

* Cover letter

* Barcoded cover sheet

* I-864

* Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data

* Copy of tax returns from last three years along with copies of W2s

* Letter of employment

* Last three pay stubs

Write your case number in the upper right-hand corner of each page. Send the package to the NVC address listed on the barcoded coversheet.

DS-230

After your DS-3032 is received by NVC, the IV (Immigrant Visa) fee bill will be generated. Unfortunately, because NVC generates an apparently random transaction number and puts it after the case number in the barcode on the IV fee bill, it is not possible to send in the IV fee bill as soon as NVC generates it -- you will have to use the one NVC sends you. Once you do receive it and send in the fee, NVC will eventually generate the DS-230 -- the actual immigrant visa application itself. As soon as you find out that the DS-230 has been generated, you should send in the copy you already have prepared.

Well before your DS-230 is generated, your spouse should download, fill out, and sign the downloadable version of the DS-230 (available by clicking HERE). (Generally, your spouse will only need to fill out and sign part I because he or she will be sent part II by the embassy when the interview appointment is given. However, if your spouse is from Canada, the Philippines, China, an African country, or two or three other countries for which NVC arranges the interview, your spouse may have to fill out -- but not sign -- part II. This DS-230 shortcut is primarily designed for those who only have to send in a DS-230 Part I. You should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what is required.)

You will need to attach the coversheet to the completed DS-230 Part I before sending it in. Download the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet (available by clicking HERE ). Change the XXX1234567890 at the bottom to your case number, then go generate the barcode at http://www.idautomation.com/java/linearservlet.html.

In the resulting window, right click on the barcode and click on Copy. Then go to the MS Word copy of the DS-230 Part I coversheet, select the old barcode that's already there and hit the Delete key. Then click on Paste under the Edit menu (or hit Ctrl + V on the keyboard). You then need to further adjust the size of the barcode by right-clicking on it and clicking on "Format Picture." Then click on the "Size" tab. De-select "Lock aspect ratio" and change the height to 0.4" and the width to 3.45". Click on "OK."

Generally, the only thing you will have to include beyond the DS-230 Part I and the cover sheet is a simple (i.e., not notarized) photocopy of the biographical information page from your spouse's passport. If your spouse is from Canada, a country in Africa, China, and those two or three other countries, more is generally required. (Again, you should find out from a VJ member whose spouse is from the same country as yours exactly what you have to send in with the DS-230 Part I.) Send all of these things to the NVC address listed on the barcoded DS-230 Part I cover sheet.

[color="#FFFF00"]In addition to the I-864, you must generate and fill out an Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data. Download the MS Word copy of the Authorization for Release of Federal Tax Data (available by clicking HERE). Under the barcode, type in your case number. At the bottom of the page, replace the entire phrase "XXX City" with the name of the city in which the embassy interview will take place (i.e., the "post" in Department of State parlance). So if the embassy interview is to take place in Caracas, Venezuela, delete "XXX City" and type in "CARACAS" (all caps). [/color]

Where do I put the bar code that you mention above? It looks like this form has been altered and I don't see where I would delete the old barcode and paste my new one. Please advice.

Thank you.

Radu & Mari

Applying for Citizenship

03-23-2012: Mailed N-400 Application to Texas Lockbox

04-02-2012 Recived NOA

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,

I have a question:

We are going for the CR-1. Jame's shortcuts (generating the bar code) is in regard to appointing the Agent of Choice, right? So if we email NVC about appointing our Agent of Choice, we don't have to generate the bar code and can pretty much neglect the actual DS-3032, right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Do the barcodes on these forms that are generated work?

I can't get the DS-230 coversheet to open

I didn't use Jame's shortcuts but from all the members who have used them........yes it works.

I just checked and could open it. It will ask you to save or open. If you click on open, you can have a look at it........or save it to your computer and open it from there. Its a pdf file.

i am unable to open or download the ds-230 u have put as shortcut

is thr a prob with my comp. or is thr any special way to do it

someone told me that the size a-4 size of paper in india is diffrt than in america so should i tell my husband to snail mail me a form ?

thanks was just tryng to save my time :)

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I have a question:

We are going for the CR-1. Jame's shortcuts (generating the bar code) is in regard to appointing the Agent of Choice, right? So if we email NVC about appointing our Agent of Choice, we don't have to generate the bar code and can pretty much neglect the actual DS-3032, right?

i am using the short cuts for the 2nd time first my wife now with my daughter. I just emailed my choice of agent last wen and they have already sent me a email telling me it was fine i never sent the actual form in.

jeremy

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guatemala

2006-04-25 I-130 Sent

2006-05-10 I-130 NOA1

2006-05-10 I-130 sent to CSC

2006-08-16 I-130 Approved

I-130 was approved in 113 days.

2006-08-24 NVC Received

2006-09-06 DS-3032 / I-864 Bill generated

2006-09-06 Pay I-864 Bill (using self generated form)

2006-09-06 Wife sent 3032 email

2006-09-11 choice of agent excepted

2006-09-13 Aos bill prossesed

2006-09-18 IV bill generated

2006-09-18 I-864 generated

2006-09-18 I-864 sent using self generated forms

2006-09-19 I-864 recived by NVC

2006-09-22 IV bill arrived

2006-09-23 IV bill sent

2006-09-26 IV bill recived

2006-10-02 DS-230 Generated

2006-10-02 DS-230 Sent

2006-10-04 DS-230 NVC Recived DS-230

2006-10-31 Case approved adios NVC

I think the instructions for creating the barcode Cover Sheet for the I-864 and DS-230 need a little "tweeking" since the end result does not match that produced by NVC.

The "problem" lies in the readjustment/resizing in the last step using Word for Windows wordprocessor.

Hi guys,

I have a question:

i am using the short cuts for the 2nd time first my wife now with my daughter. I just emailed my choice of agent last wen and they have already sent me a email telling me it was fine i never sent the actual form in.

jeremy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.