toreador

Help! Married to LPR. Dropped school after filing I-485. AOS interview next month.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, toreador said:

I filed i-485 when it is current for my PD, according to the AOS filing chart. 

You will be fine. These people are giving you the wrong answers.  You need to fire that lawyer too because he is clearly incompetent.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

If you adjust status with a LPR spouse, any overstay is not forgiven (like it is if you were to adjust status with a USC spouse).  Due to the overstay she would be ineligible to adjust from within the US to a LPR spouse.

What are you talking about? Read and understand before you make wild inaccurate statements. She has NOT overstayed anything, She filed AOS while STILL in status.

1 hour ago, azblk said:

What are you talking about? Read and understand before you make wild inaccurate statements. She has NOT overstayed anything, She filed AOS while STILL in status.

She also has to remain in legal status. She stated her SEVIS was terminated. 

Also, she can only adjust status in the US via marriage to a US citizen. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, azblk said:

She also dropped out of school, and SEVIS was terminated, thus she is not in legal status to adjust through a LPR spouse while inside the US. 

Did you read and understand that part? 

If she married a USC inside the US, entirely different scenario and outcome.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Going through said:

She also dropped out of school, and SEVIS was terminated, thus she is not in legal status to adjust through a LPR spouse while inside the US. 

Did you read and understand that part? 

If she married a USC inside the US, entirely different scenario and outcome.

Yes I understand that part.  She is allowed to AOS even then. Like I said earlier the only requirement is that she is in status WHEN aos is filed. There is NO requirement that she stays in status after filing.

22 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

She also has to remain in legal status. She stated her SEVIS was terminated. 

Also, she can only adjust status in the US via marriage to a US citizen. 

Wrong again.

13 minutes ago, azblk said:

Yes I understand that part.  She is allowed to AOS even then. Like I said earlier the only requirement is that she is in status WHEN aos is filed. There is NO requirement that she stays in status after filing.

What??? That is not true. Look at section 212(a)(9)

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-17138/0-0-0-18383.html

Once her SEVIS was terminated, she had a period of time to leave the country. After that period, she started accumulating unauthorized stay. The H1B was denied also. Basically, there was no other status that she was on.She was out of status and is still out of status.

Based on that, she will be denied her AOS under 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(l)

(I) was unlawfully present in the United States for a period of more than 180 days but less than 1 year, voluntarily departed the United States (whether or not pursuant to section  244(e)) prior to the commencement of proceedings under section  235(b)(1) or section  240, and again seeks admission within 3 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal, or

Edited to add... the only time a person can Adjust Status after being out of status and have accrued unauthorized presence is if they are married to an US citizen. This is what we have been trying to tell the OP. Her husband is not a US citizen yet.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

22 minutes ago, azblk said:

You are still missing the point look at her timeline once again, her being out of status is irrelevant at this point. When her H-1B was denied she still stayed on F1 status and enrolled in another school. She dropped out of school AFTER filing her i-485. Like I said earlier she only has to be in status when she files and does not have to stay in status after that if she so chooses.

When you have i-485 pending you are authorized to stay by attorney general until your case is decided and you do not accumulate unlawful presence during that time. Besides as an F-1 student you don't accumulate unlawful presence even if you are out status until a FORMAL finding of your status is made by uscis during the adjudication of another benefit or by a judge in removal proceedings. Termination of SEVIS does mean you are accumulating illegal presence.

Also you are wrong that he only time someone can AOS if they are out of status is if their spouse is a USC.

While I admire your diligence on the topic. The above is not true.

An immigrant trying to Adjust Status must maintain legal status throughout the process. If he or she has a US citizen spouse, it would not matter because any overstay or nonlegal status would be forgiven. But as a spouse of a permanent resident, they don't have the same options.

Reason being is because immigrant visas are not immediately available for permanent residents.

If she would have filed for asylum or something like that, then she would have authorized stay during the process. Not to mention, the process for applying for a spouse of a PR takes 2 years. 

Edited by NuestraUnion

Timeline
Just now, NuestraUnion said:

While I admire your diligence on the topic. The above is not true.

An immigrant trying to Adjust Status must maintain legal status throughout the process. If he or she has a US citizen spouse, it would not matter because any overstay or nonlegal status would be forgiven. But as a spouse of a permanent resident, they don't have the same options.

Reason being is because immigrant visas are not immediately available for permanent residents.

If she would have filed for asylum or something like that, then she would have authorized stay during the process.

You are either being obtuse or you are just arguing for the sake of it. Any person with a properly filed i-485 is in a period of authorized stay.

My point is that a person must have a legal status to be adjusting from (including the duration of the process) in order to be approved for Adjustment of Status, unless they are married to a USC in which the overstay is forgiven.

Authorized stay is not the same as have legal status.

This is why we stated she will be denied her AOS.

"File Form I-130. After a visa number becomes available, apply to adjust status to permanent residency using Form I-485. NOTE: Unless the beneficiary (your spouse) had an immigrant visa petition or labor certification pending prior to April 30, 2001, the beneficiary must have continuously maintained lawful status in the United States in order to adjust status. "

Mean even during AOS, spouse of the green card holders needs to maintain legal status.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.