M&JB

Travel to the Philippines with AP, after overstaying a k1 visa, while AOS pending?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. I know there might be topic/s related to this on the forums but I wanted to see if there is anyone who personally went through the exact same or at least a little same thing I am gonna do.

I came to the US in Sept 2013 with a K1 visa, got married within 90 days, and only applied for AOS last July. Today ( finally ), I got a letter saying my AP was approved.

My sister is getting married on April and I would really wanna be there. Can I travel to PH at least less than a month ( 3 weeks, maybe? ) for her wedding? Or I’m gonna have a problem getting back here since I overstayed my k1 visa?

I would like to hear from someone who had the same experience or people who have certain ideas about this. Thank you.

Edited by Ehri&Mark

11 minutes ago, Ehri&Mark said:

Hi. I know there might be topic/s related to this on the forums but I wanted to see if there is anyone who personally went through the exact same or at least a little same thing I am gonna do.

I came to the US in Sept 2013 with a K1 visa, got married within 90 days, and only applied for AOS last July. Today ( finally ), I got a letter saying my AP was approved.

My sister is getting married on April and I would really wanna be there. Can I travel to PH at least less than a month ( 3 weeks, maybe? ) for her wedding? Or I’m gonna have a problem getting back here since I overstayed my k1 visa?

I would like to hear from someone who had the same experience or people who have certain ideas about this. Thank you.

Hindi po you will not have a problem at all on this end. You came on a valid vise and got married on that K1 visa. You eventually filed for AOS so there is no problem. My asawa and I did not file AOS until after 2 months of the 90 day window. We had no problems going back to pinas at all and going back to the USA went fine for my asawa. I stayed 10 days and she stayed 1 month in the Philippines with no issue coming back. 

Just make sure you carry your marriage certificate with you and PRESENT it to immigration when you first arrive. That way they note that you are married na. Also make sure you book your tickets in the name that is on your passport 

Timeline
1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Hindi po you will not have a problem at all on this end. You came on a valid vise and got married on that K1 visa. You eventually filed for AOS so there is no problem. My asawa and I did not file AOS until after 2 months of the 90 day window. We had no problems going back to pinas at all and going back to the USA went fine for my asawa. I stayed 10 days and she stayed 1 month in the Philippines with no issue coming back. 

Just make sure you carry your marriage certificate with you and PRESENT it to immigration when you first arrive. That way they note that you are married na. Also make sure you book your tickets in the name that is on your passport 

That is so great to hear! May I ask when did you guys do this? 

Although, if I am right, so you guys filed 5 months after she came here with the k1 visa. If I am not mistaken, overstaying is only considered an overstay and will be ban if it is more than 180 days? You guys didn’t reach to 180 days. You think I won’t have any problems since I’ve been here for 4 years before filing AOS?

Thanks po!

7 minutes ago, Ehri&Mark said:

That is so great to hear! May I ask when did you guys do this? 

Although, if I am right, so you guys filed 5 months after she came here with the k1 visa. If I am not mistaken, overstaying is only considered an overstay and will be ban if it is more than 180 days? You guys didn’t reach to 180 days. You think I won’t have any problems since I’ve been here for 4 years before filing AOS?

Thanks po!

An overstay is an overstay regardless of the time. After the 180 day mark is when a ban is imposed on a individual. 

But with that being said, you overstaying no matter how long it has been is forgiven when you filed for AOS. So as long as you are doing AOS with the person that petitioned you for the K1 you are fine. 

There have been many cases on here where people were approved for AOS even after waiting years to do it. So no need to worry.

You will have no issue at all on this side of the ocean as long as you take the AP, marriage certificate, and your passport. 

Let me reiterate to you show Philippines immigration your marriage certificate when you get to Manila.  that way they could annotate that and put it in the system so there is no issue when you were getting ready to fly out.

We had a situation  on a few months ago where a woman did not submit her marriage certificate on Entry to Manila and when flying back out did not submit it again as well and she was not allowed to fly back to the USA. She just took what was said as at face value and was denied to fly back to the USA. She and her husband kept saying that her certificate was never asked for so they never supplied it. So show it regardless of them asking for it.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Timeline
4 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

An overstay is an overstay regardless of the time. After the 180 day mark is when a ban is imposed on a individual. 

But with that being said, you overstaying no matter how long it has been is forgiven when you filed for AOS. So as long as you are doing AOS with the person that petitioned you for the K1 you are fine. 

There have been many cases on here where people were approved for AOS even after waiting years to do it. So no need to worry.

You will have no issue at all on this side of the ocean as long as you take the AP, marriage certificate, and your passport. 

Let me reiterate to you show Philippines immigration your marriage certificate when you get to Manila.  that way they could annotate that and put it in the system so there is no issue when you were getting ready to fly out.

We had a situation  on a few months ago where a woman did not submit her marriage certificate on Entry to Manila and when flying back out did not submit it again as well and she was not allowed to fly back to the USA. She just took what was said as at face value and was denied to fly back to the USA. She and her husband kept saying that her certificate was never asked for so they never supplied it. So show it regardless of them asking for it.

Thank you so much! I will make sure to bring all the necessary documents and even the ones they might need. 

I can finally tell my sister that I will be there on her wedding day! That feels so good. :jest:

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :):jest:

3 minutes ago, Ehri&Mark said:

Thank you so much! I will make sure to bring all the necessary documents and even the ones they might need. 

I can finally tell my sister that I will be there on her wedding day! That feels so good. :jest:

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :):jest:

Not a problem and glad I could help. That's what we did when went back was to bring all the documents just in case. 

Where in the Philippines are you from? My asawa is from Davao. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working & Traveling, from AOS Progress Reports.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
26 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Not a problem and glad I could help. That's what we did when went back was to bring all the documents just in case. 

Where in the Philippines are you from? My asawa is from Davao. 

I was from Bataan, it’s in Central Luzon. Never been to Davao, I heard it’s nice. 

Per Matter of Arrabally, the INA 212 overstay bars do not apply to someone with a pending I-485 and a valid grant of Advance Parole. 

They used to, but don't anymore. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

I don’t man to offend anyone on here, I am mainly curious as to why so many people don’t do AOS right away after the wedding? I mean, you’d want to be able to work ASAP and get all your documentation and travel freely, why would people wait weeks, months, or even years to do it? I don’t understand that and I’m actually asking out of curiosity and gathering of information. 

13 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

I don’t man to offend anyone on here, I am mainly curious as to why so many people don’t do AOS right away after the wedding? I mean, you’d want to be able to work ASAP and get all your documentation and travel freely, why would people wait weeks, months, or even years to do it? I don’t understand that and I’m actually asking out of curiosity and gathering of information. 

In many (certainly not all!) cases, it's either the filing fee or the I-864 requirements that are or become an issue after arrival in the US. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy on the fee part since the sooner you file, the sooner you can work, but that's what I've seen many times.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
10 minutes ago, geowrian said:

In many (certainly not all!) cases, it's either the filing fee or the I-864 requirements that are or become an issue after arrival in the US. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy on the fee part since the sooner you file, the sooner you can work, but that's what I've seen many times.

This.  It is generally lack of financial foresight into the multitude of expenses that come as part of immigration.

It is one of the reasons to recommend a CR1 visa instead.  The government should really require a bank guarantee of funds for payment of AOS fees for K1 visa holders.  Alas, it doesn't.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Well, we do start the process, regardless of which process you choose, knowing that there will be great expenses and you do have a good chunk of time to save up and prepare for all that. I honestly don’t think that’s an acceptable excuse. Also, the financial troubles would all go away the sooner AOS is filed and processed. Then the immigrant can start working. 

Timeline
13 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

My husband got hurt in his job right when he got back to work after our wedding and now disabled. I don’t think I need to explain everything to you, but there ‘ya go.

• 8 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.