nothas88

Getting divorced before 1-751 due to cheating and need advice

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Roel said:

Cheating happens. Get over it and move on, stop giving a ####### about immigration right now. Simple. 

It's easy to say cheating happens when you aren't being the one cheated on. While the OP may not have any grounds to do anything as far as immigration goes, it's not that easy to "get over it and move on". That's something you'd only understand if you've been cheated on. It changes everything,  even the way you look at future relationships. 

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Damara said:

This page you linked to doesn't come up.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
1 hour ago, cd37 said:

I thought for USCIS, either you are divorced or not divorced. it doesnt matter if its fault or no fault divorce but I may be wrong.

I think for the purposes of ROC, they mostly care if the marriage was entered into as a bonafide relationship...many people file for ROC using the divorce waiver, whether at fault in the end of the marriage or not, it can be a basis for denial if absolutely proven though, but I have a feeling that reason as a sole reason for denial is seldom enforced...

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

33 minutes ago, Meg&Andrew said:

It changes everything,  even the way you look at future relationships. 

Only if you let it. Been there (after 8 years).

29 minutes ago, Going through said:

This page you linked to doesn't come up.

Looks like a ")" was added to the end of the link.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-22009/0-0-0-22063.html

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Damara said:

So Im going to disagree a bit with what others have posted here. The fact that he committed adultery which ended the marriage can be used against him for ROC.

(2) Application for waiver based upon the alien's claim that the marriage was entered into in good faith . In considering whether an alien entered into a qualifying marriage in good faith, the director shall consider evidence relating to the amount of commitment by both parties to the marital relationship. Such evidence may include -- 
(i) Documentation relating to the degree to which the financial assets and liabilities of the parties were combined; 
(ii) Documentation concerning the length of time during which the parties cohabited after the marriage and after the alien obtained permanent residence; 
(iii) Birth certificates of children born to the marriage; and

(iv) Other evidence deemed pertinent by the director. 

From USCIS.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-22009/0-0-0-22063.html)

Also-If USCIS discovers that you were at fault in the termination of your marriage (because you abandoned your spouse or committed adultery, for example), the agency may deny your I-751 petition.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/divorce-your-conditional-residence-status-how-file-divorce-waiver-with-form-i-751.html

He was at fault for the marriage ending. Thats different from there being no fault. Fault was assigned to him. Someone said there was good faith for a while and then there wasnt or something like that. That period of non good faith can be held against him. The OP can send a letter to USCIS outlining her side of the story along with the divorce papers and see what happens. He may get denied for ROC. 

As for the contract signed by the ex- If USCIS wants to come after her or the parents to recoup money they can and the contract wont stop them. If the ex wants to sue in court for support- who knows. People have made contracts like that before but to my knowledge the validity of it has yet to be challenged in court. 

That maybe the rule but he cheated and that is a normal part albeit crummy part of marriage. The USCIS will not budge on this. Believe me. So they are going to deny ROC because some guy or girl cheats. That rule you mention is an add on rule/provision that is used when another scenario occurs and they want to add more fuel to the fire. Think about it, how many guys or girls, email or call the USCIS daily sayingj this exact thing, "Hey I met this guy and we got married, AOSd and then he got his 2 yr gc and cheated on me? This is an abomination and I want him/her denied ROC and they must go home" Believe me they get A TON! They will do nothing im sure!

ALSO OP is from a no fault state so the part about the USCIS finding out about adultery is irrelevant. I can cheat on my wife or husband with 10 people and then we can claim irreconcilable differences.

Edited by jakartausa

23 hours ago, nothas88 said:

Hi all,

I am a U.S. Citizen and my (soon to be ex) husband is here on a marriage-based conditional green card. My parents signed the Affidavit of Support considering neither my husband nor I had a job at the time of filing the I-130 & I-485. We were together for 2 1/2 years prior to getting married, so we had A LOT of proof of a bonafied, happy relationship during our initial interview. Fast forward to just before our 2 year anniversary, we're both unhappy and it becomes clear I'm the only one trying to fix the marriage. After months of emotional abuse, I eventually find evidence that he is having an affair with a co-worker (who is also married). I will add that he was very adamant about keeping his workplace and me completely separate (I only met less than a handful of his co-workers despite the fact he worked over 10 hour days, 6 days a week) and I believe many of them knew about his infidelity. I filed for divorce on grounds of Adultery and he chose not to contest it because he has no money for a lawyer. The divorce will be finalized in another month, just at the beginning of the 90 day period that he can file to remove the conditions off his green card. 

Despite the last few months of hell, I do genuinely believe that his intentions were good at the time of proposal through our first few months of marriage (He didn't start acting cold and detached until over a year and half in), so I don't necessarily want to raise flags of fraud. We both agreed to divorce, I kicked him out for the cheating and neither one of us want anything from the other but to be left to our own. Beforehand, I handled all the paperwork (He doesn't really understand any US legal processes), but now he's on his own and can go get a lawyer to figure everything out considering it won't look good that he caused the divorce due to infidelity. That being said, I have a very strong feeling that he's going to ask his co-workers to write sworn statements as evidence of a bonafied marriage. There's not a ton of evidence because most things were in my name and all of our shared accounts/etc. are now closed and we did not see one another very often or even do much together because he devoted so much time to his job/friends/affair. It's almost a guarantee he'll have to provide proof/witnesses and those are the only people he knows here. I don't, in any way shape or form, want to be associated with his workplace or the people who work there. I've only really met 3 or 4 of them anyway and (mutually) did not like any of them. I'm sure he did a fair amount of lying about me to them and I never really was around anyone enough for them to know anything substantial about our relationship.

Long story short, I'm not necessarily trying to put his permanent green card even more in jeopardy than it already it, but I definitely want to alert USCIS about the divorce, distance my parents from the responsibility of financial support they signed and (somehow?) request that anything from these ill-meaning co-workers not be considered actual, truthful affidavits. How do I do this? Should I write a letter? Call? Request an interview?

Needing any and all advice.

Thanks!

First I would like to say I am sorry this happened to you.  Just let it go.  It is not your job to get him deported.  You will only torment yourself.  Let him go.  Let it all go and move on with your own life.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 hours ago, Roel said:

Cheating happens. Get over it and move on, stop giving a ####### about immigration right now. Simple. 

did that strike a nerve?  Why are telling her how to feel about her situation?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

~~The OP's questions have been answered. Thread locked to further discussion as the OP is not here for a lecture.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.