bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes interview done far from visa 2,3 .arranging joint sponsor to send to issue visa. But yes i am worried all other muslim bro and sis. And other people too who is not muslim too. But it early to worry now. Allways send right documents to out from RFE .so u can have faster process before any law comes.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Going to the US is basically all i have right now if i can't go my life would be ###### , i'm trying to stay positive and all but it's just a huge wave of anxiety

My situation is the same too! It's like I have waited all these time, doing everything right and now all of a sudden, when I'm just 3 months away from everything, just messed up!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I hate to say it, but I think there will end up being some significant immigration reform. Not only did Trump win the Presidency, but there is now a Republican controlled House, Senate, and Executive Branch. American sentiment towards Muslims is not terribly good right now. I think a big reason Trump won, was the pandering to the hysterical masses.

2016/09/09 - I-129f mailed

2016/09/12 - Delivered to Lewisville TX

2016/09/12 - NOA1 Date according to Website

2016/09/15 - NOA1 by email, check cashed. Routed to CSC

2016/09/16 - NOA1 Hard copy 797 sent out (was out of country when arrived)

2016/10/13 - NOA2 via the website

2016/10/17 - NOA2 hard-copy received

2016/11/03 - NVC Received

2016/11/04 - NVC Assigned case number (called in and got)

2016/11/07 - Left NVC for consulate in Kyiv

2016/11/10 - Case ready at embassy in Kyiv

2016/11/18 - Medical in Kyiv

2016/11/21 - Medical results received in Kyiv

2016/12/05 - Interview (Approved in about 3 mins!)

2016/12/07 - Status showing as "Issued" on CEAC website

2016/12/09 - Passport with VISA delievered to Fiancee's flat

2017/01/12 - POE @ Washington-Dulles

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I hate to say it, but I think there will end up being some significant immigration reform. Not only did Trump win the Presidency, but there is now a Republican controlled House, Senate, and Executive Branch. American sentiment towards Muslims is not terribly good right now. I think a big reason Trump won, was the pandering to the hysterical masses.

What kind of immigration reform are we talking about though?

When did he say he was going to stop green cards for one or two years? In March, he said he would like to see H1B paused for a year or two because there are Americans looking for work who could do the jobs the people on H1B are doing. These people don't have green cards. They are temporary workers.

Remrmber he was just saying what his supporters wanted to hear. Many of them don't actually realise that he alone does not have the power to do any of this. He won't even be in office until January and even if he decides to change immigration policies it will take years. Nothing will change overnight.

*~*~*moved from "CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to general immigration news and discussion*~*~*

This is what it says on his website: "Suspend the issuance of visas to any place where adequate screening cannot occur, until proven and effective vetting mechanisms can be put into place."

Surely that doesn't only apply to the HB-1 visa?

I sure hope you're right that we wouldn't be affected. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'm more worried about me getting there to the US to get married to my fiance. We're a gay couple so it's kind of a double whammy for Trump. We got the NOA1 at the day of election even!

K1 Fiance Visa Application

11/01/16: I-129F sent through USPS

11/08/16: NOA1 SMS confirmation received

01/30/17: NOA2 SMS confirmation received

02/14/17: NVC received and case number assigned

02/22/17: Consulate (Manila) received case

03/07/17: SLEC Medical Exam Day 1

03/08/17: SLEC Medixal Exam Day 2

03/15/17: US Consul Interview Day **APPROVED**

03/15/17: CEAC Passport/Visa Status ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW

03/16/17: CEAC Passport/Visa Status ISSUED

03/21/17: Passport received in mail

03/25/17: POE at IAD Washington, DC

05/19/17: Married in Alexandria, VA ❤️

Adjustment of Status

06/17/17: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent through USPS

06/24/17: NOA1 SMS and email notification for I-485, I-765, I-131 received

06/29/17: NOA1 I-797 for I-485, I-765 and I-131 received by mail

06/30/17: I-797C appointment notice for biometrics received by mail

07/13/17: Biometrics appointment

09/18/17: Called USCIS to expedite I-765

09/26/17: EAD/AP Status Change to New Card is Being Produced

09/29/17: EAD/AP Status Change to Card Was Mailed to Me

02/14/18: I-485 Status Change to Interview is Scheduled

02/16/18: Received interview confirmation in mail

03/22/18: INTERVIEW (PASSED!)

03/27/18: I-485 Status Change to Card Was Mailed to Me

03/30/18: Got Green Card!

Removal of Conditions

02/28/20: Sent I-751

03/03/20: NOA1 received

10/27/21: Approved after 18 months of waiting

10/29/21: Received 10 year Green Card

Naturalization

04/30/21: Filed N-400 online and received NOA1 on same day

01/06/22: Interview for Naturalization went well, APPROVED! (6 months after filing, much faster I wonder if it's because it was filed during Biden admin)

02/25/22: Oathtaking Ceremony and receipt of Certificate. Thank you so much for your help everyone! ^^

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Honestly I can't say. I doubt he could ban Muslims. American was formed on religious freedom. I do see more stringent background checks coming and maybe limiting immigration to people that have skilled trades or needed skills.

2016/09/09 - I-129f mailed

2016/09/12 - Delivered to Lewisville TX

2016/09/12 - NOA1 Date according to Website

2016/09/15 - NOA1 by email, check cashed. Routed to CSC

2016/09/16 - NOA1 Hard copy 797 sent out (was out of country when arrived)

2016/10/13 - NOA2 via the website

2016/10/17 - NOA2 hard-copy received

2016/11/03 - NVC Received

2016/11/04 - NVC Assigned case number (called in and got)

2016/11/07 - Left NVC for consulate in Kyiv

2016/11/10 - Case ready at embassy in Kyiv

2016/11/18 - Medical in Kyiv

2016/11/21 - Medical results received in Kyiv

2016/12/05 - Interview (Approved in about 3 mins!)

2016/12/07 - Status showing as "Issued" on CEAC website

2016/12/09 - Passport with VISA delievered to Fiancee's flat

2017/01/12 - POE @ Washington-Dulles

I agree that an immigration reform will be in play now. The republicans lead the House, Senate, and Presidency.

What kind of immigration reform are we talking about though?

Every immigration reform proposals I have seen (both democratic and republican) had at least a couple of categories eliminated. Petitioning siblings is one and the DV lottery are two that I nave seen being removed.

The biggest hit will come for the illegals who are currently living in the US. They were hoping for a legal path to become residents without leaving the country. That is likely not going to happen now.

There is also the removal of the fiance visa. I don't know if that will go away. You never know.

The final is making it more difficult to get visas (basically more screenings) for certain countries.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I agree that an immigration reform will be in play now. The republicans lead the House, Senate, and Presidency.

Every immigration reform proposals I have seen (both democratic and republican) had at least a couple of categories eliminated. Petitioning siblings is one and the DV lottery are two that I nave seen being removed.

The biggest hit will come for the illegals who are currently living in the US. They were hoping for a legal path to become residents without leaving the country. That is likely not going to happen now.

There is also the removal of the fiance visa. I don't know if that will go away. You never know.

The final is making it more difficult to get visas (basically more screenings) for certain countries.

My mom's a permanent resident so i'm in the f2a category as i am under the age of 21 (15 to be exact ) , could it take longer if the laws of immigration are reformed?

We all worried nodoubt,it will impact on muslim more but also st nonmuslim too.cos some of the polices will be for everybody .like first thefe was no need of visa for usa a time ago.now they need. Some tought restrictions we can see in future.but like some of said here .no need to worry to early those eho close to interview or allready done interview.things not going to happen over night. But i am also admit that people who is going thorough immigration right now and planing they are scared .

Listen...

Any changes to immigration is going to take some time. Those who are on a journey now should continue to stay focused. Yes, it is going to be tense for many immigrants for the next few years but don't expect many changes to happen in the immediate future.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.