Noor Kayyali

My green card was taken in 2012 by a racist officer

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello everyone, im from the middle east, Jordan

and my family applied for a green card long time ago through my uncles who lived in the states, in Florida and Ohio

we finally received green cards in 2004, I was 14 at the time, we were told to keep visiting annually in order to keep the green card running until we decide to reside, and I had school in my hometown

therefore we kept our green card valid for 8 years until I graduated from school, in 2012 I visited Florida to search for a college, they have stopped me and sent me to the immigration office, saying that Ive been visiting and need to reside, and so my turn was up at the window and this specific officer was telling me I could freeze my Green card until I finally decide to reside in the states then reclaim it easily from the american embassy in my home town Jordan, I explained to him that a few years back we wanted a year off and not visit the states and had to make a White passport, which is permission to not take away the green card for being away from the states for more than 12 months, He said no you could freeze it for as many years as you need to be out of the states and simply reclaim it with no problems, Unfortunately he managed to talk me into it and I have given up my green card, 2 Years later I went to the American Embassy in Jordan to "Reclaim my Green Card", I was confident and all, there they told me I was fooled because there is no such thing, and no form exists to reclaim a taken green card and that my only option was hiring a lawyer against that man who I can never reach anyways. and so I am stuck, Married now and my hopes of living in the states are gone, we have spent so much money getting and trying to keep the green card, and now i have no idea how to bring my case to justice and reclaim my green card that was taken from me, I intended to keep it no matter the cost but that individual succeeded in taking my dreams away from me, now I want to reside in the states, reunite with my family there. If anyone could help me or direct me to the right path It will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

While the officer was wrong in telling you such thing, he had the authority to take the Green Card from you. So even if this case goes to the court, winning is unlikely.

A GC is for residing in the US not for visiting. You had been using your GC for 8 years for visiting US. You said you were told to do that, so whoever (possibly your parents or relatives) told you to do so gave you a wrong advice. The officer at port of entry had every right to take your GC but he used the wrong method in taking that card. But i believe he simply told you and didn't give you in writing about freezing and reclaiming thing and now you can't prove that he suggested those things.

May be it's the time to hire a good immigration lawyer but i think reclaiming might be difficult since it's proven that you never intended to reside in the US and you were using it for visiting purpose only for 8 years. Now the GC is gone and you are saying they took away your dreams of residing in the US, immigration judge or other people will have difficult time believing that.

Good luck and its now time to consult with an immigration lawyer.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you have a GC you have to live in the US, visiting occasionally does not work.

Sounds like you surrendered your GC so that is now dead.

Your family can sponsor you for a new visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Whoever advised you to use the green card for visiting and not residing here is the one you should blame. The officer did his job.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Whoever told you that you can visit the US and keep the green card was wrong.

You abused the green card for 8 years with visits instead of living here.

You voluntarily surrendered the green card.

Your family will have to petition for you and you will have to wait 7-13 years.

This story should serve as a warning to others who think living abroad and visiting the US is okay to keep their green cards.

Sorry.

P.S. How was the officer racist?

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

While the officer was wrong in telling you such thing, he had the authority to take the Green Card from you. So even if this case goes to the court, winning is unlikely.

A GC is for residing in the US not for visiting. You had been using your GC for 8 years for visiting US. You said you were told to do that, so whoever (possibly your parents or relatives) told you to do so gave you a wrong advice. The officer at port of entry had every right to take your GC but he used the wrong method in taking that card. But i believe he simply told you and didn't give you in writing about freezing and reclaiming thing and now you can't prove that he suggested those things.

May be it's the time to hire a good immigration lawyer but i think reclaiming might be difficult since it's proven that you never intended to reside in the US and you were using it for visiting purpose only for 8 years. Now the GC is gone and you are saying they took away your dreams of residing in the US, immigration judge or other people will have difficult time believing that.

Good luck and its now time to consult with an immigration lawyer.

CBP does not have the authority to take his green card. They can only refer him to immigration court. Only a judge in immigration can terminate his LPR status.

OP voluntarily surrendered his green card. That's the only way it could have gone down at the POE.

Why Is the officer racist??? he did his job.

He is RIGHT advising you its not a visa to visit you mis used the GC.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone, im from the middle east, Jordan

and my family applied for a green card long time ago through my uncles who lived in the states, in Florida and Ohio

we finally received green cards in 2004, I was 14 at the time, we were told to keep visiting annually in order to keep the green card running until we decide to reside, and I had school in my hometown

therefore we kept our green card valid for 8 years until I graduated from school, in 2012 I visited Florida to search for a college, they have stopped me and sent me to the immigration office, saying that Ive been visiting and need to reside, and so my turn was up at the window and this specific officer was telling me I could freeze my Green card until I finally decide to reside in the states then reclaim it easily from the american embassy in my home town Jordan, I explained to him that a few years back we wanted a year off and not visit the states and had to make a White passport, which is permission to not take away the green card for being away from the states for more than 12 months, He said no you could freeze it for as many years as you need to be out of the states and simply reclaim it with no problems, Unfortunately he managed to talk me into it and I have given up my green card, 2 Years later I went to the American Embassy in Jordan to "Reclaim my Green Card", I was confident and all, there they told me I was fooled because there is no such thing, and no form exists to reclaim a taken green card and that my only option was hiring a lawyer against that man who I can never reach anyways. and so I am stuck, Married now and my hopes of living in the states are gone, we have spent so much money getting and trying to keep the green card, and now i have no idea how to bring my case to justice and reclaim my green card that was taken from me, I intended to keep it no matter the cost but that individual succeeded in taking my dreams away from me, now I want to reside in the states, reunite with my family there. If anyone could help me or direct me to the right path It will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

He took it because you were mis-using it, not because he was racist. I know the fashion nowadays is to call everything racist, but a green card isn't for visiting the US once a year until living here is convenient for you.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

CBP does not have the authority to take his green card. They can only refer him to immigration court. Only a judge in immigration can terminate his LPR status.

OP voluntarily surrendered his green card. That's the only way it could have gone down at the POE.

When a person does something because he was duped or manipulated to do such thing, his action is no longer a voluntary action. That's what happened to OP at POE.

CBP officers have right to take the green card but they don't have the right to revoke the permanent residency which only an immigration judge can do.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

The way OP is translating this to be a racist act (which clearly is not) how do we know CPB didnt use the legal channels and OP is leaving it out??

There more to this story :diablo: if CPB didn't have the power to revocate than it wouldnt happen.

I belive he was denied entry and the legal course was taken.

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

When a person does something because he was duped or manipulated to do such thing, his action is no longer a voluntary action. That's what happened to OP at POE.

CBP officers have right to take the green card but they don't have the right to revoke the permanent residency which only an immigration judge can do.

You can believe the OP that he was duped or manipulated. Just like you can believe the officer was racist. OP may believe his version of events.

Was CBP really racist?

Did OP just not understand things and labeled it as being duped or manipulated?

He seem to think using his green card for 8 years to visit the US was okay.

There may be a perception problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP has not clarified as to how the office was racist, just that he was.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

CBP officers cannot take a GC. They can refer the LPR to an immigration court. An IJ can "take the GC".

OP officially and in writing abandoned his LPR status, possibly because of the officer's mistaken/misleading advice.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!