75 posts in this topic

This k1 situation is a mess. She is 28 years old, from Brazil and we are now living in the USA and have a kid together. She clearly just wants her papers. It seems like what I hear is the only thing to do is to get a divorce and move on; however; if this is "common" there has to be a stronger recourse.... (she has now gotten an STD (from someone else) which I would think is grounds for annulment even though we've been married for more than 6 months).

any suggestions other than "divorce and move on"????

You can try to report her to the fraud unit, unlikely anything will happen to her.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/439326-reporting-fraud-to-uscis/

Does she has her 2 years conditional green card yet?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

If her AOS is still pending, you have the option of pulling the I-864. That way, she won't have any other recourse to obtain a legal status.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

No, we got married within 90 days, but did not apply for the adjustment of status.

she got me on a Domestic Violence charges which was complete bs and the case was dismissed....however, it seems that will be her recourse to get her papers without me.....that along with us having a kid together...it seems like she got me good....but I know 1 of you out there has an idea.....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

this is a really bad situation, was the kid born in the US? . she may use the kid to stay in the US and get child support from you. did you sign the birth certificate?

Since she got an STD from someone else, are you sure she didn't also get the kid from someone else? You probably need to verify that the kid is yours.

Also, since you are looking for advice other than "divorce and move on", may be if you mentioned what your goal is at this point, someone can provide advice related to the goal you are trying to reach?

My kid (son) is mine, I had a test done to confirm. My son was born out of the country but got US citizenship at birth and has a US birth certificate. I didn't sign any birth certificate but my name is on both (US and foreign).

My goals:

-have full custody of my child

- have an annulment

- have the wife sent back to her country (long shot; I know)

- worst case scenario, she stays in US, she is granted custody, I end up paying child support - although the bs DV charge was dismissed; it surely doesn't help

I'm pretty sure she got the STD a few months after we got married

It is really divorce and move on..

OP's case is not unique at all.

Plenty of examples here in VJ.

See this case here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/599717-discovered-fraud-2-weeks-into-k1-marriage-annulment-vawa-split/

Since no AOS is filed, OP is not on the hook (I-864) for the wife.

Wife is on K1 visa, she can't adjust status other than through OP.

She could go the VAWA route, or remain illegal in US.

OP needs to consult an attorney for divorce/annulment and custody of his child.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

You won't be able to get an annulment. You can't get an annulment just because she cheated on you. You have a child.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

ground for annulment: undissolved previous marriage, one spouse was underage at the time of marriage, one spouse is physically incapable of having sexual relations, consent to marriage by force, consent to marriage by fraud, or incapability of consent to marriage.

You say I have a child...the STD was obtained after the child was born....it might be a stretch, but do you not think it falls under "physically incapable of having sexual relations"

the other route is through marriage fraud - which would be tough

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

My kid (son) is mine, I had a test done to confirm. My son was born out of the country but got US citizenship at birth and has a US birth certificate. I didn't sign any birth certificate but my name is on both (US and foreign).

My goals:

-have full custody of my child

- have an annulment

- have the wife sent back to her country (long shot; I know)

- worst case scenario, she stays in US, she is granted custody, I end up paying child support - although the bs DV charge was dismissed; it surely doesn't help

I'm pretty sure she got the STD a few months after we got married

This is going to be an ugly battle and you should focus on getting custody of the child, she may try to use the kid to get what she wants, legally speaking, it's not your call to worry about her legal status in the US, make sure she is not leaving the state with your kid , if she does so you can get her arrested , you will need to get a lawyer and prove you should get %100 custody.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.