aara1988

Should I email them a copy of my resident card?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all,

A potential employer (well, not really, I'd be working with them as a contractor/freelancer) wants me to email them some information. One thing is my SSN or EIN (I'll choose the later). Another thing is a copy of my permanent resident card. Can anything bad happen if I do so? Like could they steal my identity? I don't know this people at all, they approached me. I was thinking about blurring the number, but maybe they need it for something. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It's typical that you need to provide such document; either the photocopies or scanned copies as a proof that you are allowed to work in the US. Can they steal your identity? Theoretically yes. It's up to you whether to trust them or not.

We provide those documents along with our addresses and bank information to our employers for direct deposit. Our employers can theoretically steal our identity. It's just you have to live with the assumption that they wouldn't do that.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Wait, they approached you and said send us your Greencard and SSN and we might have a job for you? Sounds fishy. Have you interviewed with them? I haven't ever had to show people my stuff until I am hired.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wait, they approached you and said send us your Greencard and SSN and we might have a job for you? Sounds fishy. Have you interviewed with them? I haven't ever had to show people my stuff until I am hired.

I agree 100%. An employer can (and is required to) ask your for those things. A potential employer has no right or need to see it until you are on the job.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Sounds like a "potential" identity theft to me.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Hi all,

A potential employer (well, not really, I'd be working with them as a contractor/freelancer) wants me to email them some information. One thing is my SSN or EIN (I'll choose the later). Another thing is a copy of my permanent resident card. Can anything bad happen if I do so? Like could they steal my identity? I don't know this people at all, they approached me. I was thinking about blurring the number, but maybe they need it for something. What do you guys think?

Thanks

I don't think there is an obligation to verify the status of contractors; no I-9 required; why exactly do they need a copy of your LPR card?

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Did you apply for a position online anywhere? Post your resume on a website? Some employment websites, once you upload your resume, pretty much make you free for contact from any contract company using the site. Unless they've sent you paperwork though, with the job application form and offer of employment don't part with those kinds of details.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Well, I'm a freelancer, so it's not uncommon for me to be approached by companies I don't know, but they had never asked for any documentation like this before. The thing is that they first asked for proof of my US citizenship and, when I told them I wasn't a citizen, they asked for proof of my permanent residency. And later they realized they really needed a US citizen because they're contracting with the US government. So nevermind in the end.

I have provided my card to another company that hires me as an in-house contractor once I was at their office, but that I found normal because it was done in person. Let's see if I encounter this again.

Thank you, everyone

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My husband contracts also. He's never met a single person from any contract house office, they're based all over the country lol it'd be impossible. The Government thing is probably clearance related. If you're not a citizen you can't apply for it. Still, don't part with documents like that unless you have an application packet in hand.

Good luck with everything :)

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.