NanaX2

K-1 visa denied. Advice on next steps

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

After my fiancé proposed, his family went to see my family to seek permission to court me, this is essential in my tradition, a must do, before engagement and wedding plans can proceed, I went to my visa interview yesterday and the CO denied my visa because she saw a picture of us at the traditional engagement occasion called "knocking on the door", (my fiancé wasn't present on this occasion, he was still in the US) and she said I was married and so ineligible for a K1 visa, I explained that that wasn't a marriage and that it was a traditional engagement occasion where my fiances family goes to seek permission from my family with drinks... What do you suggest for my next steps? Do I have a good case for an appeal or do I let it go and start all over?

Timeline

Georgia16, thanks for your advice... But that's where I'm confused, why am I expected to get married and file for a CR1 when they claim I'm already married. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Georgia16, thanks for your advice... But that's where I'm confused, why am I expected to get married and file for a CR1 when they claim I'm already married. This just doesn't make sense to me.

It's immigration nothing says it's fair. But they think you are married and when you file again they will still think you are married. There have been so many warring threads about this topic because it's happened many time before. Try and do a search and you'll see ...

Timeline

It's sad to hear about the denial, I guess you're from Ghana. The issue of "knocking has been mentioned several times on the forum. It's sad though. The only available option is to file cr1

NanaX2,

The best advice is to get married because it is less hassle than trying to fight immigration who has already made their decision.

Trying to convince immigration you are not married will only result in more stress.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Unfortunately, I thought i had read every thing about the K1 visa on here and never came across the knocking topic, if I did, I would never have made that mistake. It's very ridiculous how they don't even want to use the fact that our families have met each other as a good thing, if anything it should be a good thing to show that it's not a fraudulent relationship... Thank you guys for every advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Always seems to be at least one thread on this running.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Any ceremony where you are considered "tied" to each other you have reached the too married for a K1 state. That does not mean you are married enough for a CR1 though. In Nigeria Bride Price negations ( part of engagement rites ) kills many a K1 interview.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Unfortunately, I thought i had read every thing about the K1 visa on here and never came across the knocking topic, if I did, I would never have made that mistake. It's very ridiculous how they don't even want to use the fact that our families have met each other as a good thing, if anything it should be a good thing to show that it's not a fraudulent relationship... Thank you guys for every advice.

well i guess they didn't say your relationship was a fraudulent one. they only said per the evidence you provided and their understanding of the traditions you are married and as such do not qualify for a K-1 visa. That doesn't mean it was fraudulent. it only means you applied for the wrong type of visa. Like other ppl have said just do a court or church marriage, get the certificate and apply for the appropriate type of visa. Good luck!

I have read about the Ghanaian knocking ceremony many times on here too. It's based on the local custom. If there has been even on local court case where a couple is considered legally married (or they were treated as married in a local court) the ceremony or tradition is a binding marriage in the US immigration process. You can't appeal the decision, only marry and continue with the CR-1.

"The traditional wedding ceremony is equivalent both in word and in deed to its western coordinate. The importance of this ceremony is underscored by the fact that one can hardly get married in Ghana by having any of the marriage ceremonies without having the traditional wedding first, unless of course, the individual is a riff raff!" - Quoted from http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/A-Ghanaian-centric-Clarification-of-the-Marriage-Ceremony-229347

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

this has been talked about before so many times about ppl avoiding any knocking rites, offerings , ceremonies of any kind ,dowrys of any kind when it comes to Nigeria ,Ghana,etc. There hasn't been a sticky on this in the African sub forum I don't know why but it needs to be a permanent sticky thread , too many straight forward genuine couples are getting bit by this smh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I recently made a post on that topic...

What we know as "Knocking" has totally changed. Our people have condensed or combined "Knocking" and "Etire nsa" altogether. So the engagement is now the "etire nsa" which is the traditional marriage.

So for immigration purposes, you either have to not do it or do the "original knocking".

The original knocking involves just the elders, parents and sometimes, the girl is not even part at all. it's between a couple of elders from the both sides.

The moment the girl dresses up and everyone make elaborate preparation and dowry is paid. You are married.

To your question,

"You are too married for K-1 but not married enough for CR-1".

So go through the proper process to register your marriage and file I-130

Good luck!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.