anxiousfiancee

Travel within US territory while AOS pending with stopver in Japan

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I entered guam on a k1 visa, got married on august 24 then sent aos, ead and ap documents oct 8. My I-94 expires on oct 29. According to usps tracking, it hasn't been received yet so i'm just waiting on that. I've read that it's ok to travel to a different us state so long as i have my noa with me. I have booked a flight to atlanta to visit my mom and sister this oct 29. I have a connecting flight in narita, japan. Would that pose a problem with immigration? Also i will be staying in atlanta until dec 10 and i'm worried that it is possible that my biometrics appointment will be scheduled while i'm there. Any suggestions? Is it possible to walk in for biometrics in a state other than your place of residence?

If anyone. An enlighten me, i would truly apprecaite it.

You need AP approved and in your hand before you can leave the US. Travelling to Japan, even temporarily, counts as leaving the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can't go on that flight! If you leave U.S. territory, even for a flight layover, you will NOT be allowed to re-enter the U.S.! You have to delay your trip at least until you have received your AP!

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can fly anywhere in the US you want so long as you fly non-stop to-from any of the 50 states. Call the airline and see if you can reroute your ticket so you can fly through Honolulu. You can get on a non-stop flight from Guam to Honolulu and onwards to the mainland.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Moving and Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Inquirer is past K-1, started AOS process~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I entered guam on a k1 visa, got married on august 24 then sent aos, ead and ap documents oct 8. My I-94 expires on oct 29. According to usps tracking, it hasn't been received yet so i'm just waiting on that. I've read that it's ok to travel to a different us state so long as i have my noa with me. I have booked a flight to atlanta to visit my mom and sister this oct 29. I have a connecting flight in narita, japan. Would that pose a problem with immigration? Also i will be staying in atlanta until dec 10 and i'm worried that it is possible that my biometrics appointment will be scheduled while i'm there. Any suggestions? Is it possible to walk in for biometrics in a state other than your place of residence?

If anyone. An enlighten me, i would truly apprecaite it.

You do not need your NOA to travel within the United States, you need to carry your passport though.

Why would you be flying to Japan to get to Atlanta? You leave the USA without your AP or GC and you will be looking at having problems for sure.

As for biometrics you need to check with USCIS to see if you can do that else where, but I sort of doubt they will say yes.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I have a layover in narita, japan and honolulu hawaii to get to atlanta. It was the cheaper flight i guess since it has has 2 layovers. I guess i'm gonna have to rebook it if it will pose a problem. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~Duplicate thread removed, do not make multiple threads to ask the same or similar questions~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Yes, rebook. You don't want to find yourself outside the US and not allowed back in, after all that money and hard work that went towards your K-1.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Timeline

Yeah, i figured rebooking is the answer but i just want to make sure since i've been told that if it is only a layover and i don't leave the airport, i didn't technically leave the US. I'll just call USCIS first just to make sure. Thanks for the info guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah, i figured rebooking is the answer but i just want to make sure since i've been told that if it is only a layover and i don't leave the airport, i didn't technically leave the US. I'll just call USCIS first just to make sure. Thanks for the info guys.

You can call USCIS all you want, but the fact of the matter is you will not be allowed back in the county with a layover in Japan, plain and simple. If the were a way you could do it, the trusted members of VJ would know the solution. . It may be a less expensive flight, but in the long run it will cost you a lot more if you get stuck outside the US. Don't play with fire.

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

I agree. I have called immigration and they said the same thing. It's not that i don't trust the VJ members. I just wanna cover all the bases before i do anything. Anyway, sucks that i have to rebook but i guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Thanks everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.