Jesserry

Petitioning my sister

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone...

My husband and I are planning to petition my sister. She's from the Philippines. Actually my husband wants to petition my sister (coz I'm not an American citizen yet) because our income this year is bigger compared from last year so we decided that this could be a good year for us to be qualified??? I read something about that anyone can petition to someone eventhough he or she is not related to the petitioner as long as the petitioner is an American citizen. How true is that? I have read also about that it will be hard for my husband to petition my sister coz my sister is over 21 yrs old. She will be 28 yrs old this coming July 2012. How true is that? Could you please tell us what to do?

Pls help us...

Thanks...

Edited by Jesserry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Your husband can't petition your sister since she is not his relative in any way. You will be able to do that once you are a citizen and current wait for Phillipines is 23 years.

Of course you can't petition anyone just because you are a US citizen - think about it for a second - does not make any sense at all... What would prevent US citizens from petitioning complete strangers ? It is family based immigration.

Edited by kzielu

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your husband cannot petition her. At all. Ever.

You are the only person that can petition for her when you are a US citizen.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

your husband cannot petition your sister, she is not his immediate relative, only you can petition for her. It's take years to petition for you sister. Your income only counts when it comes time for her to apply for the visa itself, not when the petition is accepted.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will be the one to petition for a sister, husband cannot. You can do that when you become a US citizen.

According to the current Visa Bulletin the wait for a sibling from the Philippines is 23 years. http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5692.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone...

My husband and I are planning to petition my sister. She's from the Philippines. Actually my husband wants to petition my sister (coz I'm not an American citizen yet) because our income this year is bigger compared from last year so we decided that this could be a good year for us to be qualified??? I read something about that anyone can petition to someone eventhough he or she is not related to the petitioner as long as the petitioner is an American citizen. How true is that? I have read also about that it will be hard for my husband to petition my sister coz my sister is over 21 yrs old. She will be 28 yrs old this coming July 2012. How true is that? Could you please tell us what to do?

Pls help us...

Thanks...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You husband... Cannot file any petition for.your.sister.

You are right, you are unable to file for her while you are a LPR.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have already been told the answer to your question on your previous exact same post. The answers will not change by waiting a few days and copy pasting the question again.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/367546-petitioning-my-sister/page__p__5369853#entry5369853

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No matter how many times you ask the fact remains that is not not, nor will it ever be allowed for your husband to petition for you sister, and you cannot petition on behalf of her as a LPR.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your sister can start a genuine relationship, fall in love, get married to an American, then immigrate just as you did. That is about a 1.5 - 2 year time frame vs. the current 23 year wait.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** two topics on the same issue merged and a third without answers removed. Please only post once on an issue. ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.